ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much do you spend a week on food per person?

Good food is expensive. Griggstown, Brick, Terhune, all worth the price, but it is a good amount. Do you ever get the roasted chickens for pick-up at Griggs? Perfect dinner for our family of 3.

As for the weekly cost question, we probably spend $200-$250 on groceries and then another $100-150 on take out (~2 meals a week). Something like that. We don't really track it.
I haven't tried the roasted chicken at Griggstown...I never remember that they even do that...I just go their for the whole chickens, parted out young chickens, and their ground turkey. Pot pies are great, pre-marinated poultry is really good, and pies...always pies.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I haven't tried the roasted chicken at Griggstown...I never remember that they even do that...I just go their for the whole chickens, parted out young chickens, and their ground turkey. Pot pies are great, pre-marinated poultry is really good, and pies...always pies.
You have to call ahead and order the roasted chicken. Great for work nights. Simple and ready to go!

Reactions: RUevolution36
I feel like I have the same budget but it really is more heavily weighted towards ordering out/Dining out. Again this includes other household items besides just food all in the same budget.

I dont get it either but we def dont coupon shop
I was going by food only. I spend more on Diet Coke in a week than food. My most expensive weekly purchase is cigars. Over $100 a week.

I didn't either until we started planning an addition on our house so I needed to get a real handle on our finances. I tracked line by line every trip to whole foods, shoprite, trader joes, i was floored. it was actually easier at the start of covid when we were more hunkered down. There were 4 trips each month, $500-600 each. the flip side is that we rarely eat out, and rarely do takeover, perhaps a pizza and some fried calamari once a month. and since i've been working from home i don't even get coffee out.
Since I retired I am a budget tracking freak. Being single makes it easy. Last year I spent an average of $48.53 a week. That includes everything I get at the grocery store, so it includes laundry detergent, paper towels, candy, tea, sugar, etc. Last year I averaged $45.86 a week.

Reactions: Jm0513
I say this in the most respectful way possible, but you eat like a rabbit. Even if 90% organic, it should still be cheaper than a carnivore’s diet.
She didn't say what she spends. $42 was for coffee alone.

There are 2 of us but we also watch our granddaughter 3 days a week and most of those days my daughter has dinner with us

We spend an easy $1000 a month probably more but I don’t track it. We buy what we want.

We are not huge meat eaters but do eat fish twice a week

We always have at least 7 different types of fruit and 4 green vegetables in the house

I go shopping at least 3 times a week and twice a month to Sams. My wife also goes at least once a week to the grocery store and Target

She didn't say what she spends. $42 was for coffee alone.
starbucks is the easiest way to burn thru cash. my wife and i were doing the daily starbucks for a while until we realized how much we spent there. spent money on a good espresso machine and the cost of a double shot cappuccino or latte has gone down from $6 to <$1. the capital expenditure of the machine has paid for itself long ago.

Reactions: Jm0513 and WhiteBus
starbucks is the easiest way to burn thru cash. my wife and i were doing the daily starbucks for a while until we realized how much we spent there. spent money on a good espresso machine and the cost of a double shot cappuccino or latte has gone down from $6 to <$1. the capital expenditure of the machine has paid for itself long ago.
It's absurd! I stopped once I did the math. I have it occasionally, but otherwise use my Nespresso machine. (2 pods a day.)

Reactions: RUevolution36
It's absurd! I stopped once I did the math. I have it occasionally, but otherwise use my Nespresso machine. (2 pods a day.)
It is fine if you have the money for it and enjoy it. People spending more on food or less on food is no criticism, just a budget comparison.

Reactions: RUSK97 and Jm0513
Organic chicken is like $5/lb. 1 lb is enough for 4 servings in my house = $1.25/serving. 1 small carton of organic raspberries is like $5. That's a snack for one person.
You may have a point. I only shop organic f/v for my kid (sometimes). The rest of the household gets the chemical-laden stuff. I go to the farmers market and walk out with bags of produce having spent $25. I go to the seafood market (Metropolitan seafood out on 22) and walk out of there with a little package in my hand and I spent $60 if I'm lucky. I try not to eat too much meat, but I have this weakness for good seafood and it costs mucho dinero.

$2000- $2400 do you mind if I ask how big your family is?
With us, I would have to say when all 4 were home- maybe 1200-1500 per month but that was including our oldest that was eating a whole chicken himself by 5th grade.
For the two of us, I think we do a $150-200 trip to the store every 3 weeks. And right before summer, we do an $800 restaurant depot run for meats.
There's 5 of us but my kids are young. Snacks add up. Also my wife is on a fairly restrictive diet and eats clean so that adds up. For example, we get pints of avocado ice cream instead of the real thing, or use cassava flour instead of the regular old shoprite brand wheat stuff. Rationale is that restrictive diets aren't anyone fault, so why be punished and not be able to enjoy ice cream or a nice chicken cutlet.

I'm still trying to digest spending $42 a week for coffee. And I really like coffee.

My household is just me and my Fiance.

I'd say we spend maybe $200-$300 a month on food.

There's the up front costs of buying large cuts of meat from Costco, but the spending gets spread out throughout the course of the month.

We tend to only get take out once a week usually Wednesday when I have to go into the office and don't get out until 6PM because I don't feel like cooking at that hour.

There's 5 of us but my kids are young. Snacks add up. Also my wife is on a fairly restrictive diet and eats clean so that adds up. For example, we get pints of avocado ice cream instead of the real thing, or use cassava flour instead of the regular old shoprite brand wheat stuff. Rationale is that restrictive diets aren't anyone fault, so why be punished and not be able to enjoy ice cream or a nice chicken cutlet.
Avocado ice cream?? That sounds disgusting.
[sick]

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I don't have any idea.

I don't drink coffee ever, so that's a zero for me but Mary Anne has a cup every morning as the grinder wakes us up at 0700 unless the dog has already started whining for her breakfast.

Bird Seed $ 60 + a week.

I have perfected never having to shop for food. Mary Anne NEVER askes me to shop for food.

Here is the secret, if she ever asks, which includes going 'together'....
1. Buy several cans of Norwegian Sardines, packed in Olive Oil. (she will hate the smell when you open the cans and leave them out on the kitchen counter.)
2. Buy several cans of packed Crab Meat. (it's $$$$).
3. Have butcher give you several Prime T-bones about 1 1/2 inches thick.....or.....Rib Roast. ($ 75 or better.).
4. If you store stocks beer; Buy a case of anything that you like and drink 3+ that day.

You've now spent over a $100 bucks of the food budget......and.... you've got somethings to eat that she won't like or has to cook for hours (the roast) and a few brews.

It's a winner...

Reactions: RU848789
I was going by food only. I spend more on Diet Coke in a week than food. My most expensive weekly purchase is cigars. Over $100 a week.

Yeah that was my point in wrting what I did. My total includes things like Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc. While I track all my spending, I don't track it down to the individual transaction level when it comes to groceries.

I don't have any idea.

I don't drink coffee ever, so that's a zero for me but Mary Anne has a cup every morning as the grinder wakes us up at 0700 unless the dog has already started whining for her breakfast.

Bird Seed $ 60 + a week.

I have perfected never having to shop for food. Mary Anne NEVER askes me to shop for food.

1. Buy several cans of Norwegian Sardines, packed in Olive Oil. (she will hate the smell when you open the cans and leave them out on the kitchen counter.)
3. Have butcher give you several Prime T-bones about 1 1/2 inches thick.....or.....Rib Roast. ($ 75 or better.).
4. If you store stocks beer; Buy a case of anything that you like and drink 3+ that day.

You've now spent over a $100 bucks of the food budget......and.... you've got somethings to eat that she won't like or has to cook for hours (the roast) and a few brews.

It's a winner...
🤣 I'm laughing so hard I've got a side stitch. How long'd it take for you to figure out that routine? Reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.

Avocado ice cream?? That sounds disgusting.
[sick]
Haha... not as bad as you would think. To clarify, it's not avocado flavored (WF carries choc, vanilla and mint), and they get the texture pretty close to the regular stuff. It's probably raised more questions with cashiers ringing me up than any of the other wacky stuff I buy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I don't have any idea.

Bird Seed $ 60 + a week.

It's a winner...
What kind of bird seed? A 40 pound bag of black sunflower seeds is $20, that would be 120 pounds of bird seed a week. You may have some fat birds :-)

You really have to know your costs, and don’t assume that one place is always going to be the cheapest. Most of our shopping is done at Shoprite and Costco. Certain things will ALWAYS be cheaper at Costco, but after you buy often enough, you’ll know when the Shoprite circular hits each week, which items are cheaper there. The absolute best bargain anywhere is the Costco rotisserie chicken. For $4.99, that thing is way bigger than at the supermarkets, and is really well prepared. Also, I always pick up a pizza. A pepperoni pizza at the food court is ten bucks, compared to about 17 bucks at a pizzeria, and the Costco pizza is 25% bigger. For you guys talking about smoothies, we only use frozen fruit for the smoothies. Way cheaper, and just as good.

. The absolute best bargain anywhere is the Costco rotisserie chicken. For $4.99, that thing is way bigger than at the supermarkets, and is really well prepared.
You really don't want to know how Kirkland raises those chickens. Kirkland built their own farms and processing plants because they couldn't purchase enough through secondary vendors. It's not pretty, just remember chickens will eat anything if the opportunity presents itself, they're omnivores.

Good food at nice restaurants and also divy/fast-food restaurants is a major vice of ours. Before COVID, my wife and I probably spent about $600 a week on going out to eat and maybe $100 a week on groceries. During COVID it's probably been about $400 a week on takeout (still wanted to support many restaurants in the local area, even if takeout isn't quite as good as dining out - we still tip as if we're eating out though) and $200 a week on groceries, as we do eat a bit more at home and we've been buying better meats from a local butcher that we never did before, since we ate out so much, lol.

I pride myself on being really cheap, but I don’t know if I could get below $70. Just a note, before corona, I had never been in a Dollar General. Always went to Shop Rite for everything. Anyway, got a flier in the mail and actually looked at it for more than a second. I always thought Dollar stores were like the old five and ten stores, had no idea how much food they carry. Well, went into one and couldn’t believe how much they had and the prices. Just roughly, I would say if you bought the same exact things in Shop Rite and Dollar General, you would be looking at spending $25 compared to $15. I now buy almost everything there, except meat, fruit, and non canned veggies.

Depends if I am eating out or not, or how late I am working. If I am working late I get dinner free. If I am eating out, am I eating chinese or am I going on a date and balling out on some Peter Luger's.

What kind of bird seed? A 40 pound bag of black sunflower seeds is $20, that would be 120 pounds of bird seed a week. You may have some fat birds :-)

She buys 60 lb bags, usually 3 bags at a time. There is a store that carries them to her SUV.

Mary Anne has 3 large feeders at the front window, 2 at the rear bathroom window, and 4 at her window at the kitchen sink window.

She draws deer at night, wild turkeys early in the AM, 5 squirrels fat as wood chucks in the front.
All for about 6 Cardinals.

Having a friendly discussion with my friends who think im crazy saying this. I spend about $25-$30 total M-F during the work week on food for myself.

my mornings: built bars
Lunch: MOSTLY chicken marsala/francese
Dinner: MOSTLY chicken and veggies or just veggies and pasta

i buy it all pre-made at maywood market in maywood (bergen county) where a piece of chicken runs about $2.

Disclosure: not married and live by myself so not talking about feeding a family, although i imagine i could just X 4 for a family of 4. Anyway how much do you spend during the work week? (i also recognize the fact both some of you as well as I go out on business dinners as well sometimes but thats different as its a business expense).

My mom grew up in Maywood, she is in that place every week. I have been in there 2 or 3 times when visiting her.

She buys 60 lb bags, usually 3 bags at a time. There is a store that carries them to her SUV.

Mary Anne has 3 large feeders at the front window, 2 at the rear bathroom window, and 4 at her window at the kitchen sink window.

She draws deer at night, wild turkeys early in the AM, 5 squirrels fat as wood chucks in the front.
We have found that bird feeders are only 10-20% effective in feeding birds. Extremely effective in feeding other woodland creatures.

We have found that bird feeders are only 10-20% effective in feeding birds. Extremely effective in feeding other woodland creatures.
Get the ones with the springs in it. If something heavier than a bird is trying to feed it just slides down and cuts access to the seed inside. Good ones will last year's even after the abuse from the squirrels trying to get the inside. Save a fortune on bird seed.

Having a friendly discussion with my friends who think im crazy saying this. I spend about $25-$30 total M-F during the work week on food for myself.

i buy it all pre-made at maywood market in maywood (bergen county) where a piece of chicken runs about $2.

Disclosure: not married and live by myself so not talking about feeding a family, although i imagine i could just X 4 for a family of 4. Anyway how much do you spend during the work week? (i also recognize the fact both some of you as well as I go out on business dinners as well sometimes but thats different as its a business expense).
Aren’t you rich ? Splurge a little . Get some expensive stuff ! Seafood , prime meats ...
I would say the 4x4 doesn’t work . Families and especially kids like different stuff . Then when you think you got your kids figured out , you buy something you thought they liked and then suddenly won’t eat . Kids not a good investment kyk. Stick to multi family housing.

Reactions: tom1944

Aren’t you rich ? Splurge a little . Get some expensive stuff ! Seafood , prime meats ...
I would say the 4x4 doesn’t work . Families and especially kids like different stuff . Then when you think you got your kids figured out , you buy something you thought they liked and then suddenly won’t eat . Kids not a good investment kyk. Stick to multi family housing.
I have to say that in a case like this- it isn't about what someone makes for a living. We all bust on kyk at times but he did create a fun and interesting thread. I am assuming by his meals- he is a person who eats to survive and not someone who eats for the enjoyment. To each their own. Though, have to say...will be a wakeup call if and when he is married with kids. 4X model doesn't work if you are eating the way he does. Kids will require extra snacks- even if it is all healthy, they will need different types of foods as well too. Chicken and veggies twice a day most likely won't work.

Hey KYK - just a question out of curiosity, are you a very picky eater and why you usually just have the same basic meal almost all the time?

Reactions: red sail
Haha on weekends i splurge, during the week im just eating to fill my stomach. The thing is, despite this being so cheap its good and relatively healthy macro and calories wise. I inhale the food in about three minutes and then I’m just back to work

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I have to say that in a case like this- it isn't about what someone makes for a living. We all bust on kyk at times but he did create a fun and interesting thread. I am assuming by his meals- he is a person who eats to survive and not someone who eats for the enjoyment. To each their own. Though, have to say...will be a wakeup call if and when he is married with kids. 4X model doesn't work if you are eating the way he does. Kids will require extra snacks- even if it is all healthy, they will need different types of foods as well too. Chicken and veggies twice a day most likely won't work.

Hey KYK - just a question out of curiosity, are you a very picky eater and why you usually just have the same basic meal almost all the time?
I’m really not that picky, however I love chicken and love meat in general. But yes, to your point, i basically just eat during the week to fill my stomach. Idk why. yes, I do make a good living but i live extremely cheap. Ive just never gotten into expensive shit, probably because i grew up without expensive shit and was very happy so why change haha

I’m really not that picky, however I love chicken and love meat in general. But yes, to your point, i basically just eat during the week to fill my stomach. Idk why. yes, I do make a good living but i live extremely cheap. Ive just never gotten into expensive shit, probably because i grew up without expensive shit and was very happy so why change haha
It's funny- while completely understood, I went the other way...My Parent'(parent for most of it as my mom passed when I was 10) were far from rich and menus were very limited. Because of that, my palate went the way of wanting to explore foods and tastes. If I were single- my weekly bill would be pretty high. Being married, we tend to do Salads at least 3-4 times a week for dinner. Though, we do try to have some proteins with it and the wife makes up a homemade dressing. Though, when she cooks, it is usually special with her Caribbean roots, the flavors and spices are out of this world. She also cooks for 10 even if it is just the two of us so there are always left overs. Many times- we portion out the left overs and freeze them.
So- it keeps our costs way down. And being Caribbean, even when we get chicken, it is never breasts it is usually thighs, legs, backs, etc...much lesser costs and much better flavor. And outside of grilling season, red meats are usually stew meats so again, cuts down on costs.

Where we splurge is on fish. Whole Red Snapper(head on) and Salmon are usually our two staples. And then for special occasions- meat products like Oxtail and Goat are on top of the list and both pretty expensive.

It's funny- while completely understood, I went the other way...My Parent'(parent for most of it as my mom passed when I was 10) were far from rich and menus were very limited. Because of that, my palate went the way of wanting to explore foods and tastes. If I were single- my weekly bill would be pretty high. Being married, we tend to do Salads at least 3-4 times a week for dinner. Though, we do try to have some proteins with it and the wife makes up a homemade dressing. Though, when she cooks, it is usually special with her Caribbean roots, the flavors and spices are out of this world. She also cooks for 10 even if it is just the two of us so there are always left overs. Many times- we portion out the left overs and freeze them.
So- it keeps our costs way down. And being Caribbean, even when we get chicken, it is never breasts it is usually thighs, legs, backs, etc...much lesser costs and much better flavor. And outside of grilling season, red meats are usually stew meats so again, cuts down on costs.

Where we splurge is on fish. Whole Red Snapper(head on) and Salmon are usually our two staples. And then for special occasions- meat products like Oxtail and Goat are on top of the list and both pretty expensive.
Somewhat similar here. Grew up in a middle class suburban home and we almost never went out to eat (maybe once a month fast food and a few times a year to a restaurant), especially after my parents divorced when I was 9. So after I started making money and discovering a whole world's worth of cuisines that I mostly missed out on growing up (including traveling), we got to where we are in my post above, eating out a ton, as we just love it.

But we're very frugal in many other ways, i.e., with material things, as we spend very little on clothes (I probably spend about $100 a year on clothes - being in R&D my whole career I wore jeans and Oxford shirts), cars, jewelry, and such. Our major spending is restaurants, travel, concerts/arts, and RU sports.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You may have a point. I only shop organic f/v for my kid (sometimes). The rest of the household gets the chemical-laden stuff. I go to the farmers market and walk out with bags of produce having spent $25. I go to the seafood market (Metropolitan seafood out on 22) and walk out of there with a little package in my hand and I spent $60 if I'm lucky. I try not to eat too much meat, but I have this weakness for good seafood and it costs mucho dinero.

+1000 on Metropolitan Seafood! Not cheap but fantastic quality and variety!

Reactions: RUSK97
Family of 5 (3 kids all in sports) - around 250/ week. We try not to eat out.

Most shopping at Aldi - except for meats unless I get made in USA meat. Try to get meat at Sams or local Kroger.

Still feel like it’s too much and we eat the same stuff all the time - but it’s all fresh made.

What kills the budget is the supplemental- need another gallon of milk and get more stuff to fill in gaps and it’s an easy $80 extra (usually from Kroger cause it’s closer).

The difference in cost feeding your family at Aldi vs your typical chain is outrageous.

Best part of the pandemic and working from home was less wear and tear on the car and less gas - vs massive increase in the food budget.

So true on those supplemental trips. I spend probably around 200 to 250 for the family on the regular order, but so often miss that one thing ... then you go back to the store and never just buy that one thing but also $50 worth of additional stuff you don't even necessarily need.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

haha. Got it. I have one feeder and the deer would stand on their hind legs and eat the seed. I ended up extending it high enough that they couldn't reach it, and I have a weed wacker line holding the feeder up that I can raise and lower like a flag. I get a 40 pound bag two or three times a year.

Guesstimating what it costs just for me, M-F, probably 60 bucks, including coffee. Don't eat out during the week, so just groceries.

Goes up in the summer because I buy loads of fruits and vegetables at the farm stand or farmer's market. Usually end up with a $50 - $100 bill/week there, which never shows up in savings at the grocery store ... maybe marginally, but definitely nowhere near fully.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT