ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much should I be paying? 2018 Accord

SHUSource

Hall of Famer
Jun 4, 2001
Question for my favorite crowd-sourcing community: If I want to pick up a 2018 Accord 2.0T with the 6-speed manual this week - even today - and the list price is $30,310, what price would you all be happy/willing to pay? I know there are other variables, but let’s assume fair value on the trade (about KBB), and considering it’s end of the month, end of the year, it’s a 2018 leftover, and it’s manual (with a built-in smaller market of buyers), I think I should do pretty well ... like $28,000 well. Is this realistic?

As always, your input is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I think you may have some good bargaining power end of month and looking at manual trans. They will want to move it for sure. Drop by late in the day on a foul weather day and they will almost try to buy your business.

Be careful if you’re trading in on the new car. They likely will try to jerk you around on the trade. I like to make it a clean new vehicle transaction only. Good luck.

Reactions: SHUSource
Check the accord forums at edmunds.com. They will have insiders telling you what the best price is that you can get based on current incentives, etc. I bought a v6 ex-l accord in 2014. Sticker was about 30k, and based on the advice from the forums I was able to get it for under 27kz

If you don’t have hard numbers, then general rule of thumb is to offer 90% of retail, and see who is willing to come closest to that number. You can also go on truecar.com, and see what the average is. For the last three cars, I’ve bought, I’ve simply gone on edmunds.com, and used their request for proposal feature, to solicit quotes from local dealers via email. I don’t step into the dealership till the deal is done. This has saved a lot of time and BS.

You know, Schiano used to drive an accord back in the day. Ash never has even stepped foot in one..

It’s the most perfect car in the world. Therefore all the liquid assets you have access to.

Another question: Is it less expensive to purchase a new car in Pennsylvania than New Jersey?

Question for my favorite crowd-sourcing community: If I want to pick up a 2018 Accord 2.0T with the 6-speed manual this week - even today - and the list price is $30,310, what price would you all be happy/willing to pay? I know there are other variables, but let’s assume fair value on the trade (about KBB), and considering it’s end of the month, end of the year, it’s a 2018 leftover, and it’s manual (with a built-in smaller market of buyers), I think I should do pretty well ... like $28,000 well. Is this realistic?

As always, your input is much appreciated!

Manual! Nice. What are you, old? LOL

Another question: Is it less expensive to purchase a new car in Pennsylvania than New Jersey?

You won't get around taxes. They will get their pound of flesh at Registration time.

I bought my Raptor in Texas. Saved 11Gs but had to pay NJ taxes because it was being registered in this hell hole state.

TrueCar.

+/- $500 is your target. If your exact car is on the lot, lean towards -$500.

Next, they'll offer financing. Try to get 3rd party financing in place before going to the dealer. That lets them know that 1.) you're serious about the car purchase and 2.) you won't let them screw you on financing.

Finally, their hail mary play is the extended warranty. Back in the day, I never used to get one. Nowadays, you might want to consider getting one. Cars have become quite complicated in the last 10 years. So if you go that route, go online and see if one can be purchased at another dealer for a lower price (I know for a fact this was a viable option when I bought my CRV in 2012. The dealer came close enough that I just went with them for simplicity's sake when it comes time to actually get work done and file a claim).

TrueCar.

+/- $500 is your target. If your exact car is on the lot, lean towards -$500.

Next, they'll offer financing. Try to get 3rd party financing in place before going to the dealer. That lets them know that 1.) you're serious about the car purchase and 2.) you won't let them screw you on financing.

Finally, their hail mary play is the extended warranty. Back in the day, I never used to get one. Nowadays, you might want to consider getting one. Cars have become quite complicated in the last 10 years. So if you go that route, go online and see if one can be purchased at another dealer for a lower price (I know for a fact this was a viable option when I bought my CRV in 2012. The dealer came close enough that I just went with them for simplicity's sake when it comes time to actually get work done and file a claim).

Often they are available cheaper from other dealers. Some dealers specialize in giving you a great price on the extendo just for the traffic.

Reactions: miketd1
Cmon source . In the BIG East , you need to be buying your basketball players better than an Accord if you want to compete. .

Sounds like a lot . I'm a dealer in PA and that sounds high..then again that depends on the model of the car.

Most of the quotes I’m getting from dealers through True Car are ranging from $27,200 to $27,900. I’m feeling good about it.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I don’t know, exactly, but I’ve always heard that. Something to do with taxes, perhaps?

Where I live, I can hit dealers in either state easily.

Taxes are paid for where you register your car, not where you buy it. Best bet is to use Edmunds or some other site like that and qet dealerships to quote you. Do some research and all the answers of what you should pay will be out there to find.
Also- for a trade i- KBB has changed it's model and it is very realistic and some dealerships even have a KBB promotion that will give you what they say your car is worth. Do the research- have a price in your head that you will be happy with and drive away with a smile.
I also advise to call your bank after you find a car and have a vin number- get a quote on rates. Don't rely on the finance guy or believe a word he says. Have all the information you need in your pocket.

Damn... clicked the wrong link. Can someone direct me to the "I'm looking to buy a REAL car" thread?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: yesrutgers01
So what did you pay?
Well, on the advice of Car & Driver, I went with the 1.5T instead of the 2.0T, so the numbers mentioned here didn't exactly remain relevant, but the content of the thread was.

Sticker price was, I think, $26,750, and I got it for $23,800 - pretty good I think. Fair deal on the trade, too. It was the last 6-speed on the lot (at Burns Honda in Marlton, who deal a fair deck, I'd say), and the color was a favorite, so we were good to go.

As always, your collective counsel was appreciated.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT