ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Internet Provider Options

Jonb127

Freshman
Sep 30, 2012
I can't stand Optimum any longer and want to replace them. I don't have access to Fios in my area. Is there another good option to replace them with? I need to be able to stream sports, movies and shows.

TIA

Guy at work was having this exact discussion this morning.
He switched to FiOS and said it was the right move to make

Do you want us to list every Internet provider in the state/country or maybe ya wanna give some clue as to where you live?

Reactions: Local Shill
I recently switched from Optimum to Fios as well. Whatever you do, make sure you cancel your Optimum service on the last day of your billing cycle. At some point in the past year they changed their cancellation policy so that you have to pay for the entire month that you cancel in. They never released any kind of public notice about it, instead they snuck it into the fine print on your bill, and if you had paperless billing, the only way you'd find it is if you periodically read through the terms and conditions just in case something changed. I canceled four days into our billing cycle and they charged us for the entire month. Absolute bullshit. On our last bill, we just submitted a payment for the days we had the service but I've been getting automated calls requesting the remaining balance. There is a class action lawsuit over this now.

I recently switched from Optimum to Fios as well. Whatever you do, make sure you cancel your Optimum service on the last day of your billing cycle. At some point in the past year they changed their cancellation policy so that you have to pay for the entire month that you cancel in. They never released any kind of public notice about it, instead they snuck it into the fine print on your bill, and if you had paperless billing, the only way you'd find it is if you periodically read through the terms and conditions just in case something changed. I canceled four days into our billing cycle and they charged us for the entire month. Absolute bullshit. On our last bill, we just submitted a payment for the days we had the service but I've been getting automated calls requesting the remaining balance. There is a class action lawsuit over this now.

Which FIOS plan did you get? Are you streaming video such as Play Station View or Sling TV, and how well is it working?

Which FIOS plan did you get? Are you streaming video such as Play Station View or Sling TV, and how well is it working?
I'm pretty sure we went with the 50 mbps plan. We've been streaming via the Kodi app and it's been good, no issues so far.

I'm pretty sure we went with the 50 mbps plan. We've been streaming via the Kodi app and it's been good, no issues so far.
Thank you. We plan to order the 50 Mbs FIOS an stream PS Vue over Fire TV.
I thought that a lot of Kodi content got disabled. Tried it a while ago and Stream All the Sources, Phoenix TV and other stuff was gone.

I think some of you missed this:
Ha woops I read one of the other posts about switching to Fios and completely forgot that the OP said that isn't an option. Either way, my advice of canceling Optimum on the exact day that your billing cycle ends stands!

Thank you. We plan to order the 50 Mbs FIOS an stream PS Vue over Fire TV.
I thought that a lot of Kodi content got disabled. Tried it a while ago and Stream All the Sources, Phoenix TV and other stuff was gone.
Honestly I'm not too good with Kodi's particulars, my roommate knows how that stuff works a lot better than I do, but I haven't really had any problems finding the sporting events I want to watch. Sometimes I have to try a few different feeds before landing on one that works, but that's been the case for the year or so that we've had this thing. I don't watch any current TV shows, so I can't really comment on how reliable it is for that purpose.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Honestly I'm not too good with Kodi's particulars, my roommate knows how that stuff works a lot better than I do, but I haven't really had any problems finding the sporting events I want to watch. Sometimes I have to try a few different feeds before landing on one that works, but that's been the case for the year or so that we've had this thing. I don't watch any current TV shows, so I can't really comment on how reliable it is for that purpose.
I was interested in how it worked with the 50 Mbs streaming speed. FIOS has the 940 (or 920) Mbs service, but I don't think we need that. We don't watch a lot of TV, except for sporting events. If 50 Mbs does not cut it, we'll up the speed.

I was interested in how it worked with the 50 Mbs streaming speed. FIOS has the 940 (or 920) Mbs service, but I don't think we need that. We don't watch a lot of TV, except for sporting events. If 50 Mbs does not cut it, we'll up the speed.

I was thinking about the FIOS Gig package, but then I heard something disturbing - and don't know if it's accurate.

I was told that the 940 speed is only for a connection that's hard-wired to the router. It's not available on any of the wi-fi ports.

That kinda doesn't make sense to me, because once the gig signal goes into the router, it doesn't know where it's going beyond there. It's up to the router - and there are definitely plenty of 1.4G wi-fi routers on the market.

Just a little FYI. I just switched from FIOS to Spectrum for a good cost saving and more channels. With the change I went from the 50mbps of FIOS to the 100mbps of
Spectrum. Little did I know that my Network Interface Card would not be able to handle the increased speed. It took over a month working with Spectrum to find the problem.
I replaced Ethernet cable, coax cable and modem/router during the period and nothing changed. Finally a Spectrum Tech Supervisor connected his laptop to my modem/router and everything worked fine for him. That's when he suspected it was the NIC and told me to order a newer NIC or order an Ethernet to USB adapter. I did both.
When they arrived I quickly connected the E to USB to my computer and 'problem solved'. So keep this in mind if you plan to upgrade to a faster internet connection like the 1gig FIOS that they are advertising.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have the 200mb Optimum internet and it has been great. I haven't needed customer service for internet for so long I can't remember the last time. I have needed occasional service for cable tv and optimum has been great about it.

So I'm curious what the problem is with their internet service.

My internet goes out for a bit every few days. They see it as well but can't fix it. It's a pain to keep havinh them come out to try to repair but mostly I just don't like them. They charged me last time for the visit when they shouldn't and made it a pain to go get a credit. They make everything difficult. The speed of the internet is fine though so I'm nervous to switch since I stream a ton.

My advice- whatever you do, don't agree to a contract. Sit tight or make a short term change but the future is coming very soon. AT&T is rolling out Project Airgig, what should be the backbone of 5G, and can eliminate the need for fiber connectivity entirely. Trials are ongoing in Austin now and AT&T is expecting national rollout in 2019. Wireless that provides the same speeds as top end fiber capabilities. This could be revolutionary.

I think you'll be fine. We didn't really have any issues with the 25 mbps service we were getting from Optimum except for when their service was out entirely. We only switched to save money.

I have the 200mb Optimum internet and it has been great. I haven't needed customer service for internet for so long I can't remember the last time. I have needed occasional service for cable tv and optimum has been great about it.

So I'm curious what the problem is with their internet service.
For us it was mainly the price and the fact that when we signed up they told us that we just have to request them to keep us at the promo rate and we could avoid our rate increasing, but then when the time came they refused to honor that. By switching to Fios, we doubled our speed from 25 mbps to 50 mbps and are actually paying about 35% less.

I think you'll be fine. We didn't really have any issues with the 25 mbps service we were getting from Optimum except for when their service was out entirely. We only switched to save money.

For us it was mainly the price and the fact that when we signed up they told us that we just have to request them to keep us at the promo rate and we could avoid our rate increasing, but then when the time came they refused to honor that. By switching to Fios, we doubled our speed from 25 mbps to 50 mbps and are actually paying about 35% less.
For me switching from FIOS to Spectrum I'm paying about 35% LESS, have double the internet speed, and many more channels in HD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT