ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is this the most insane real estate market?

A lot?? How about 99.9999% of towns don't do that. I had no idea it was even a thing
Create a separate company that only bring the garbage cans from the house to the curb and back.

I thought my nephew In Ridgewood mentioned they bring the cans to the side of the house which I just verified. If you can afford it in the property taxes, go for it.

A lot?? How about 99.9999% of towns don't do that. I had no idea it was even a thing
I grew up in east rutherford and the garbage men would return the cans to the side of your house
Don’t know if they still do, this was decades ago
Anyway, in todays world I don’t think you can expect that, let alone demand it
anymore

Latest statistics from CoreLogic through February:

- Housing has gone up almost 20% year over year.
- Average monthly payment on a mortgage has increased $550 a month year over year

Clearly not sustainable and we should see a big slow down in purchasing/demand which should hopefully loosen up the supply constraints.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/26/home-prices-jumped-20percent-in-february-slowdown-may-be-coming-sp-case-shiller.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

some advice for those younger couples just starting out on their home purchases. My wife and I always bought the worst house in a nice neighborhood, fixed them up ourselves and sold at a profit after a few years, which allowed us to slowly upgrade over the years. After 30 years of marriage we are hopefully on our 5th and final house since its only 2 years old and needs no work.
These houses are hard to find now with more people doing flips and inventory is already tight.

Reactions: newell138
some advice for those younger couples just starting out on their home purchases. My wife and I always bought the worst house in a nice neighborhood, fixed them up ourselves and sold at a profit after a few years, which allowed us to slowly upgrade over the years. After 30 years of marriage we are hopefully on our 5th and final house since its only 2 years old and needs no work.
Even the “worst house on the block” is so insanely over-speculated to the point where you’re better off just saving the extra cash to buy the better home.

not to mention any major work like a kitchens or advanced bathroom renovations are a complete s***show with shortages and budget overruns. If you need a contractor there is a decent chance your project is delayed 12-18 months if it can be completed at all.

Reactions: newell138
One thing we've noticed while looking is the large number of 4/5 bedroom colonials built between 1975-1985 WITHOUT AC. Can anyone shed light on why this was? What did they think the earth was going to cool or something? Can't imagine why these were built this way, our summer climate is brutal, it's not like we're in Oregon or New England.

One thing we've noticed while looking is the large number of 4/5 bedroom colonials built between 1975-1985 WITHOUT AC. Can anyone shed light on why this was? What did they think the earth was going to cool or something? Can't imagine why these were built this way, our summer climate is brutal, it's not like we're in Oregon or New England.
more surprising that the any of the owners since then didn't put central AC in after the fact.

Reactions: RUnTeX
My parents home never had AC. My mom finally put a window unit in when she turned 90 a few years back. That generation never had it so they felt they didn’t need it. Depression era thinking

My parents home never had AC. My mom finally put a window unit in when she turned 90 a few years back. That generation never had it so they felt they didn’t need it. Depression era thinking
Yeah but the people buying houses 1975 to 1985 and starting families were not the depression era kids . They were their kids . But they grew up with no central AC too

Reactions: RU-05 and newell138
Ya I didn't even have window units as a kid. Still only rarely put the AC on. Maybe 30 days a year.

I like open windows and fresh air, even if it's pretty warm.

Ya I didn't even have window units as a kid. Still only rarely put the AC on. Maybe 30 days a year.

I like open windows and fresh air, even if it's pretty warm.
Got the AC on right now! Wife and little one need the house down to 72 or below for sleeping. :)

Reactions: Jm0513
Got the AC on right now! Wife and little one need the house down to 72 or below for sleeping. :)
I'm at 70 degree's right now with no AC. Could make it cooler if I opened the windows, but it is damp out there.

Saw a headline that a 1,500 Sq ft meth house sold for nearly $600K, which is probably a deal now but multiple times what it would have been without the meth a few years ago. Didn't even think you could sell a meth house before having it de-methed.

Saw a headline that a 1,500 Sq ft meth house sold for nearly $600K, which is probably a deal now but multiple times what it would have been without the meth a few years ago. Didn't even think you could sell a meth house before having it de-methed.
Question is, did it double as a pipehouse as well?

you do not want to have to de-pipe a pipehouse

Congratulations. Once you're in, all of the aggravation will be worth it. Do you mind sharing how much you had to go above your original offer if at all?

Reactions: jtung230
We ultimately got the house. The offer above us fell apart. Out of attorney review.

Our current house is primped and ready to hit the market Friday.
if you don’t mind sharing. Did you match the previous offer?

Too humid to cool down the house. We have southern exposure so any sunshine heats up the house quite a bit. Got to 76 in here today. No good for the bosses.
I agree with this. Plus my wife and son have allergies so I rarely ever open the windows. They are much better that way.

Gillians is a classic if you have little kids. Sadly a guy died there on Monday when he fell while working on one of the rides.
Wow, WTF? Which ride? There aren't make big rides there. I remember they had that runaway train rollercoaster, but it was taking down after only a few years. Someone said there was a safety issue. That was a big ride to scrap.

Not much open on Saturday, but enough to keep the little one happy. Also, very small crowd.

Wow, WTF? Which ride? There aren't make big rides there. I remember they had that runaway train rollercoaster, but it was taking down after only a few years. Someone said there was a safety issue. That was a big ride to scrap.

Not much open on Saturday, but enough to keep the little one happy. Also, very small crowd.
I definitely get Action Park vibes from Gillians sometimes lol

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Fall protection and safety harnesses are your friend when working up high

We bought our current home in the summer of 2007. Nice 25% discount compared to the peak in 2005'ish. No need to rush buy something now.
Bought our Farm in 2012. Don't ask me how, but for once in our life we timed something out perfectly. It wasn't planned just completely by happenstance. Bought it for $350k at 3.58%, my buddy who's an agent (didn't sell us this place) said to me, "as soon as you turn that key you already made $30k".

We've decided to put off some of our farmhouse renovations till the recession hits, we'll get more bang for our buck. We just got hit real hard for the last barn and pasture fencing. Soon guys will be dying for work.

Last edited:
Bought in October last year in Hunterdon County. This was our first home and it still went a little over ask but got our mortgage at 2.99% basically right before it started to shoot up so we did get a little lucky.

Too humid to cool down the house. We have southern exposure so any sunshine heats up the house quite a bit. Got to 76 in here today. No good for the bosses.

I feel that. More of a western exposure, but the lack of trees and intense sun in semi-arid climate does the same, preheating the house like an oven throughout the day. Gets hotter indoors than out if I don't run the AC, and in summer, gotta use an oven mitt for the metal door know

Been running the AC in the afternoon the past few weeks to get the temp down by evening, then shutting it off before it drops to the 50s at night. Feels wasteful in comfortable spring weather, but not spending the night sweating, tossing and turning!

Bought our Farm in 2012. Don't ask me how, but for once in our life we timed something out perfectly. It wasn't planned just completely by happenstance. Bought it for $350k at 3.58%, my buddy who's an agent (didn't sell us this place) said to me, "as soon as you turn that key you already made $30k".

We've decided to put off some of our farmhouse renovations till the recession hits, we'll get more bang for our buck. We just got hit real hard for the last barn and pasture fencing. Soon guys will be dying for work.

With a house?

Couldn't you force your crew to build brick walls for cheaper barns and fencing? The three little pigs prefer brick barns.

With a house?
Yes, it was an estate sale. The outside farm was completely rundown, every weed had turned into a tree. But I had guys and machines to work on that. The house exterior was in good shape. All I needed was a disco ball, some lava lamps and a bean bag chair, then we were all set on our interior decor. We only have 8.5 acres. But I looked it up to see how we scammed this one, 2012 was considered rock bottom of the housing market. What was good is we were able to buy well below our means and could make everything the way we wanted it.

Couldn't you force your crew to build brick walls for cheaper barns and fencing? The three little pigs prefer brick barns.
We got raped on the last Barn and fence this year. 2yrs. ago my Pole barn shop 36' x 60' cost us $30k for the structure (not including everything else) my Barn this year 36' x42' over $50k. The fence I had one done 2 yrs. ago as well, transposed those numbers to this year. This one came out over a 1/3 more. I highly doubt the Mennonite boys from Lancaster were trying to scam me as material costs had gone through the roof.

Last edited:
Yes, it was an estate sale. The outside farm was completely rundown, every weed had turned into a tree. But I had guys and machines to work on that. The house exterior was in good shape. All I needed was a disco ball, some lava lamps and a bean bag chair, then we were all set on our interior decor. We only have 8.5 acres. But I looked it up to see how we scammed this one, 2012 was considered rock bottom of the housing market. What was good is we were able to buy well below our means and could make everything the way we wanted it.

We got raped on the last Barn and fence this year. 2yrs. ago my Pole barn shop 36' x 60' cost us $30k for the structure (not including everything else) my Barn this year 36' x42' over $50k. The fence I had one done 2 yrs. ago as well, transposed those numbers to this year. This one came out over a 1/3 more. I highly doubt the Mennonite boys from Lancaster were trying to scam me as material costs had gone through the roof.
Now that you mention Lancaster, who did you use for your fence? I used J-Mar, which isn’t in Lancaster, but very close.

Now that you mention Lancaster, who did you use for your fence? I used J-Mar, which isn’t in Lancaster, but very close.
L&B fencing. They're not in Lancaster either, actually East Earl but I call everyone out there as being from Lancaster. 😁 My Pole Barn guys came from the same area, Leola, PA. If you're getting a large amount of linear feet your best pricing is going to be from that area. Pole Barns the same thing, J-Mar and my places are all located roughly in the same area.

Reactions: ClassOf02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT