ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kansas - Kansas State brawl

Seth Greenberg and LaPhonso Ellis on ESPN both just said that De Sousa (blocked the shot and brandished the chair), McCormick (the stomper) and the K-State guy redshirting who went after De Sousa should all be suspended for at least a year. Serious transgressions here. They also just mentioned that the section this happened in was the handicapped section - lucky none of the fans there got hurt. Also had a good point about where was the leadership from the other players stopping this?

Reactions: Scarlet83
ITT I can identify all the guys that crapped their pants with fury when Schiano told his Bucs to play til the final gun vs. their precious, precious Giants and then cheered like little princesses at the Ice Capades when that old feeb Coughlin started yelling at him.

Play and play hard til the last second ticks off.

And yes I'm aware this game wasn't in doubt.

#22 from Kansas has to face a major suspension. He had a stool over his head ready to use it until someone stopped him.
#22 is DeSausa threw a punch and picked up a chair. Also, #30 of KU shoved a KSU player into DeSausa just before DeSausa threw a punch. #0 and #33 of KU are likely to face punishment too.

ITT I can identify all the guys that crapped their pants with fury when Schiano told his Bucs to play til the final gun vs. their precious, precious Giants and then cheered like little princesses at the Ice Capades when that old feeb Coughlin started yelling at him.

For the record I don’t like Schiano’s antics at end game. There’s a reason he’s the only one who does it. Maybe he’s grown. We’ll see.

Back to hoops; you take your kid out for ice cream after he gets a steal from the team who just beat his ass? When the opposing player was just dribbling the ball out so as to not embarrass them anymore?

I’m not.

Reactions: dvb91
God I hope Schiano still does that.

Never concede til the last tick.

And as for the ice cream story... that's nice.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
I guess im old enough to remember that usually brawls means at least a punch or two was landed. This was basically patty cake. Nothing to see here. Maybe 1 suspension for picking up a chair. Besides that boys being boys

Smh some commentators and idiots itt wanna suspend this kid for a year for throwing some jabs and holding a chair up in the air? Give me a break

I guess im old enough to remember that usually brawls means at least a punch or two was landed. This was basically patty cake. Nothing to see here. Maybe 1 suspension for picking up a chair. Besides that boys being boys
Sorry, you're as wrong about this as you were about Powell. De Sousa will be gone for the rest of the season, if not kicked off the team completely, and McCormick and the KSU bench guy will likely be gone for the season. Completely unacceptable behavior.

So slight hyperbole by me, but that’s so weak to steal and dunk when game is over. You lost champ. Save the energy so you can get within 30 of your next opponent.

Not one of your better posts. Why do these Kansas players get so pissed off, when they just beat the crap out of a rival?

The game is simple. Play basketball until the clock says 0:00. These snowflakes get offended so easily and their panties get into such a big wad about nothing.

Now they will pay. Dumbasses.

Everything about it was bad, starting with the steal. It’s called sportsmanship and it should still matter.

This is so simple.

1. While there is time on the clock, if the defense gives up and stops defending, that is solely their decision. Just like if there is time on the clock, if the defense continues to play, that is solely and completely their decision. The team about to win the game doesn’t get to decide what the other team does. Period.

2. A team that is about to win a game should not get so offended by the losing team that continues to play. As my Mother-in-law says, “I am afraid that we are raising a bunch of woosies.”

Reactions: RU-AGK
The whole is disgusting from both sides

Kansas state for stealing the ball there when the legit signal was dribbling out the clock because the game was waaaaaaay over

And then Kansas, after Kansas state made the bush league steel, , for having to need to brovodo up to offer a punitive lesson by attempting (and successfully) block the shot and just not letting it go...

Suspensions galore should be sent to send a message.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Announcers are acting like this is the worst thing that could ever have happened. Yes, it’s bad, but it’s a fight. its not like people were crippled or killed. Deal with it and move on. These things happen less and less and now people act as if it’s a murder when it happens. Such unnecessary drama.

This is so simple.

1. While there is time on the clock, if the defense gives up and stops defending, that is solely their decision. Just like if there is time on the clock, if the defense continues to play, that is solely and completely their decision. The team about to win the game doesn’t get to decide what the other team does. Period.

2. A team that is about to win a game should not get so offended by the losing team that continues to play. As my Mother-in-law says, “I am afraid that we are raising a bunch of woosies.”
So I guess in your book in football when they go into victory formation to avoid rubbing it in and more importantly not get anybody hurt...it’s perfectly ok for some jackass to dive over the line and engage? In a lot of games it becomes perfectly obvious with seconds left that it’s over. At that point you can defer to sportsmanship or being a dick. Bruce Weber even said he told his guys to back off and the kid was out of line.

Personally, I would have let him dribble out the clock because it was clearly over. Buuuuut, I have no problem with the steal. I also have no problem with the block. None of that bothers me at all. What does bother me is standing over the kid and everything that came after that. You were obviously so embarrassed when he stole it that you had to make a scene and prove you're the alpha male. He stole it, you blocked it. That needs to be the end of it.

Obviously the optics are huge here. I truly believe the NCAA does not want this to ever happen again especially in the crowd seats and in this case the handicap section...potentially large lawsuit if a member of the crowd is injured. I truly believe we will see major suspensions here...let’s see if I am correct.

Lastly, I believe every basketball coach in the country should be addressing this incident today and going over how to handle yourself in such a situation which occurred last night.

So I guess in your book in football when they go into victory formation to avoid rubbing it in and more importantly not get anybody hurt...it’s perfectly ok for some jackass to dive over the line and engage? In a lot of games it becomes perfectly obvious with seconds left that it’s over. At that point you can defer to sportsmanship or being a dick. Bruce Weber even said he told his guys to back off and the kid was out of line.

While there is time on the clock, if the defense (Weber in this case) gives up and stops defending, that is solely their right and their decision. Just like if there is time on the clock, if the defense continues to play (Pitino, against us on Sunday), that is solely their right and their decision. The team about to win the game doesn’t get to decide what the other team does.

When ahead in the last seconds, I would coach my offense to protect the ball and in football, protect themselves, until 0:00.

why do people get into a hissy fit if the defense keeps playing the game with time on the clock? Just play the game!

Reactions: RU-AGK
One thing I would expect to see starting tonight......no taunting or obvious trash talking will be accepted. Pikiell is going to need to have a chat with 1 or 2 guys.

I understand there are many steps between letting your opponent know you scored on them and going after them with a chair.

Reactions: gregkoko
When KU and MU play again, it will be a bloody street fight!

One thing I would expect to see starting tonight......no taunting or obvious trash talking will be accepted. Pikiell is going to need to have a chat with 1 or 2 guys.

I understand there are many steps between letting your opponent know you scored on them and going after them with a chair.
Better tell Garza the same thing ... very good player but likes to show his alpha male side.

Completely different situation. Giants decided game over. If they fumbled and Bucs recovered, they were close enough to kick a field goal to win.

This is so simple.

You don't get it

Seth Greenberg and LaPhonso Ellis on ESPN both just said that De Sousa (blocked the shot and brandished the chair), McCormick (the stomper) and the K-State guy redshirting who went after De Sousa should all be suspended for at least a year. Serious transgressions here. They also just mentioned that the section this happened in was the handicapped section - lucky none of the fans there got hurt. Also had a good point about where was the leadership from the other players stopping this?

That's also something Bilas pointed out this AM. Besides the fight and chair, it's as bad that it carried into the stands.

In other news an Illini player was ejected for stepping (stomping?) on a Purdue player last night.

Maybe I’m old school. In baseball, if you stole second up 9 in the 8th, the batter better not dig in too aggressively because he may have to avoid one coming at his ear on the next pitch.

It’s not all “you play until the final whistle” nonsense, respect the game and your opponent. I’m not excusing the Kansas reactions, but the scrub on KSU absolutely started it with his down 30 heroics.

Reactions: ancienthooper
So you are good if ru is down by 25 and stops playing with a min to 2 min left in the game because "the defecit was so bad we already lost and didnt want to show up the other team".

There would be a crowd looking for Pike at the RAC with pitchforks and blades. You play to the final whistle and you tell your guys if the other team gets a steal no fouls, let them score, especially up over 20.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Well it is relevant because no punches get thrown if that scrub doesn’t act like an idiot.

Sorry but do not blame the K-State player for this. He was still playing basketball. The fault lies with the Kansas player who was not playing basketball when he stood over the opponent and taunted. Also to the next K State player who came in after the taunt.

When the shot clock is off and the winning team has possession and the game is not in doubt, each team still has one job.

Winning team, you don’t try to score.

Losing team, get ready to start shaking hands.

Anything else is bush and I guaran-f’ing-tee you Pike agrees with me. That’s why you won’t see Geo Jack a 3 in that situation as the winner, or go for a steal and dunk as the loser.

Not hard.

So you are good if ru is down by 25 and stops playing with a min to 2 min left in the game because "the defecit was so bad we already lost and didnt want to show up the other team".

There would be a crowd looking for Pike at the RAC with pitchforks and blades. You play to the final whistle and you tell your guys if the other team gets a steal no fouls, let them score, especially up over 20.

there was not 2 min left in the Kansas game, there was 10 seconds left. the guy with the ball was standing at half court dribbling out the clock.

i am pretty surprised there are guys that believe this is OK. like other examples given, you don't jump over the line in victory formation, you don't steal 2nd base up 10-0 in the top of the 9th. if that guy passes to a teammate, and the defender on him is picking his ass as he should be, and that guy with the ball throws down a windmall, all hell breaks loose. works both ways.

Sorry but do not blame the K-State player for this. He was still playing basketball. The fault lies with the Kansas player who was not playing basketball when he stood over the opponent and taunted. Also to the next K State player who came in after the taunt.
poll 100 coaches i would bet multiple paychecks on the outcome

Smh some commentators and idiots itt wanna suspend this kid for a year for throwing some jabs and holding a chair up in the air? Give me a break
So because they have bad accuracy they have less punishment? I know you grew up rumbling with the Jets on the wrong side of the tracks, but there is a time and place...

Maybe I’m old school. In baseball, if you stole second up 9 in the 8th, the batter better not dig in too aggressively because he may have to avoid one coming at his ear on the next pitch.

It’s not all “you play until the final whistle” nonsense, respect the game and your opponent. I’m not excusing the Kansas reactions, but the scrub on KSU absolutely started it with his down 30 heroics.

How does this sound? The kid who stole the ball shouldn't have stolen it. The payback should have been DeSousa blocking the layup attempt. But him staring down at the kid while standing over him was garbage and he deserved to get punched in the face. Unfortunately, no one clocked him.

Does this sound better?

The only problems i have here are DeSousa picking up the stool and more importantly, the NCAA for bringing the players back out to play 0.1 seconds of basketball. That’s the dumbest s*** I’ve ever seen. Lucky they didn’t start going HAM again.

As someone who has played a lot of ball over the years, there is a standard “code” here. If you are down big but still want to play agressive on the ball D till the final whistle, that’s fine. If you keep that intensity and cop a steal with a few seconds left and score, that’s fine. If you take the pedal off your D, then sprint in with a few seconds left and steal the ball, that’s fine, but you’re ending up in the stands on the runout (and don’t clap back if youre the guy who stole the ball and ended up on his ass).

That’s how most players would handle the situation. DeSousa shouldnt have hung over the guy, get your one liner in then head back to the bench.

Last edited:
How does this sound? The kid who stole the ball shouldn't have stolen it. The payback should have been DeSousa blocking the layup attempt. But him staring down at the kid while standing over him was garbage and he deserved to get punched in the face. Unfortunately, no one clocked him.

Does this sound better?

Yes.

Reactions: RU_DIO
ADVERTISEMENT