ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Last Dance NJ HS baseball tournament

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Anyone watching? Have kids playing? It was great seeing live sports on such a beautiful night. OCHS plays their games a few blocks away and it was such a joy to watch. About 3 games played today In this region which looks like they have over 100 high schools participating

from NJ.com

Teams are obviously playing to win, with the tournament field trimmed from 222 teams on Tuesday to 32 by Friday - 16 in the North, 16 in the South.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...ut-these-storylines-on-eve-of-last-dance.html

I could see/hear the games going on at Memorial Field in Cranford from my kid's little league game. Music, atmosphere, it was great to see the kids get to compete.

Plus, here's a video of a kid hitting a walk off grand slam to win 7-6, today.

Reactions: iReC89
The top New Jersey prospect in the 2021 class is Tywone Malone , a 300 pound defensive lineman, also plays first base or DH for Bergen catholic. Who wants to play both sports in college. seems doubtful Rutgers has much of a chance of snagging him. I’m guessing Texas A&M.

The top New Jersey prospect in the 2021 class is Tywone Malone , a 300 pound defensive lineman, also plays first base or DH for Bergen catholic. Who wants to play both sports in college. seems doubtful Rutgers has much of a chance of snagging him. I’m guessing Texas A&M.
300 lbs, geez. I bet he hits a ton.

Are they allowing that?

Get it in writing, kid.

Reactions: JMORC2003
Are they allowing that?

Get it in writing, kid.
Sure feels like one of those lies they tell a kid when they're recruiting him, like yeah, sure we'll let you play QB for us, then check the roster a year later and the dude's a defensive back.

Anyone still following?? Cranford knocked off #1 seed Don Bosco 12-0 today to get to regional final.

We are definitely following. My friend's son Robbie Salvatore is the starting pitcher for Cranford tonight. Infielder Ryan Jaros, is a 2023 top 10 in NJ who recently committed to Georgia Tech.

I could see/hear the games going on at Memorial Field in Cranford from my kid's little league game. Music, atmosphere, it was great to see the kids get to compete.

Plus, here's a video of a kid hitting a walk off grand slam to win 7-6, today.

It WAS a great video until NJ . Com decided to put graphics on the video in the middle of the play.

"Tickets for the North championship game, matching BC Crusaders/Bergen Catholic and Cougars Baseball/Cranford, will go on sale at 5:40 p.m. North tickets will only be available at the gate. There are no online sales at Skylands Stadium."

"The South championship, matching top-seeded Jackson Jags/Jackson Memorial and Sader Baseball/Bishop Eustace will start at 7 p.m. at FirstEnergy Park. All 500 tickets for the game have been sold according to JT Kroeger, a member of LDWS committee."

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...mplete-sellout-north-final-ticket-update.html

Kyler Murray and Russel Wilson are the last 2 high profile P5 football players who also played college baseball. I'm sure there were others.Tywone is currently a high 4 star D lineman, if using college football star ratings, he's probably a high 3 star for baseball. He's a good hitter, with a ton of power.

The Jackson Memorial team is made up of players that made the Little League World series in Williamsport when they were 11 and 12 year olds playing for Holbrook LL in Jackson...Last night they beat 2 ACC Pitchers (Virginia and Duke) 6-1 and when they beat Middlesex 4-0 Middlesex pitched the 1st signee to Rutgers under new coach...The quality of play has been great. All 3 of those pitchers were throwing low 90's...Would love to see an All Public Final between Cranford and Jackson Memorial

Last edited:
Must have good water in cranford they are excellent in youth and hs sports Fball, baseball, wrestling for years. A lot of the parochial athletes are from cranford

We are definitely following. My friend's son Robbie Salvatore is the starting pitcher for Cranford tonight. Infielder Ryan Jaros, is a 2023 top 10 in NJ who recently committed to Georgia Tech.
Nice! Good luck to your son’s friend. In case you didn’t know, the game is on tv TV35 in town right now (or watch on Facebook)

12-zip is a waxing. Especially a public over parochial. What was the story line of the game?
Good pitching, kid threw a one hitter. Cranford bats beat a great pitcher (‘nova commit). Cranford is one of those programs that even in a down year they can put it together and beat anyone in the state.

He pitched a great game and Cranford steamrolled BC for the title, 10-0.
You said it, brother. Just finished it on the DVR. Cranford keeps rolling. Back to back shutouts. Great game, congrats to the boys, north jersey champs. Going for the whole thing on Friday Night!!

Last edited:
Cougars vs Jaguars for The NJ Final...Hoping the game gets cancelled for weather tomorrow and we see both teams Ace on Saturday.

That must be some change then. Back in the day (70's-90's) they were nothing in basketball or football.
I disagree. I grew up in Union County. Was in high school from 80-84. Cranford was always competitive in a lot of sports. I think they were always a wrestling power. They even had great bowling teams. The girls teams were always strong as well. In regards to football, basketball and baseball, they had up and down years in part because they were playing the big schools as well. That being said I alway remember them being tough.

The Jackson Memorial team is made up of players that made the Little League World series in Williamsport when they were 11 and 12 year olds playing for Holbrook LL in Jackson...Last night they beat 2 ACC Pitchers (Virginia and Duke) 6-1 and when they beat Middlesex 4-0 Middlesex pitched the 1st signee to Rutgers under new coach...The quality of play has been great. All 3 of those pitchers were throwing low 90's...Would love to see an All Public Final between Cranford and Jackson Memorial
Good stuff.

You may see some high scores now and again.
But in high level baseball, you’ll never drive in as many as you let in.

At this level, I’ll tell who’s gonna win by watching the pitchers warm up, the outfielders throw and run, and a round of infield.

Hitting be damned...lol

Great facilities in that town for all sports from rec/club/LL/Pop Warner all the way up to the HS level.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Should be interesting on whos on the mound for Jackson...Coach said it wont be the 3 who pitched this week...Coastal Carolina signee Potok, Auburn signee Crotchfelt or Lehigh signee Beetel...I think Potok has been the best pitcher in this tournament...3 complete game wins and 0 earned runs...So smooth at 6'5 and 220lbs...Going into his Senior year wish Rutgers would try and change his mind. Both teams will go without their Aces

https://shoresportsnetwork.com/baseball-last-dance-championship-preview-jackson-vs-cranford/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT