ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lyme disease.

I think you can also have the tick tested to see if it carries the disease.
I practice in Hunterdon County where, at last check, there is more Lyme disease than any other county in the state of NJ; NJ is 3rd in cases behind CT, and NY. When parents/patients ask me about testing the tick for lyme disease I tease them by responding " I don't know the dose of antibiotics for the tick. In Hunterdon County we know about 10-15% of ticks carry the bacteria causing Lyme, yet if the tick is attached more than 48 hours the risk to the patient is only 1%. Using prophylactic doxycycline for deer ticks was done on adult patients and not on pediatric patients so extrapolating its use is not based on science in kids. Blood tests have gotten a lot better but may not turn "positive" (since they measure antibody responses) for 2-3 weeks. Observation is okay. If in the period after the bite the patient develops a flu-like illness (fever, chills, body ache, joint aches) then it is prudent to start the antibiotic. I am also aware of patients being treated for "chronic Lyme" with multiple negative tests that had metastatic disease to the bone/joint. Almost all the patients I have treated for late signs, i.e. Bells palsy, or Lyme arthritis never remember finding a deer tick. In pediatric patients as much as 90% of Lyme patients develop the ECM rash, which is more than in adults (about half). It's time some poster here apply to medical school before giving medical advice!!!

Reactions: MrWise
My daughter has been battling for 4 years this dreadful disease. Dr refusing to give antibiotics early on I think made situation worse. Doxy for 30 days without waiting for blood test is what I would recommend. Not a Dr but based on personal experience is what I think you should consider or at least do some further research.

It's time some poster here apply to medical school before giving medical advice!!!
Since you quoted me and used the singular of poster above, I'll assume this quote is directed only to me!!! First, I only gave my opinion regarding a fact, I did not give advice!!! My opinion was based on my own experience with my own physician, who tested the tick that he took off my skin, in other words, based on my experience with someone who not only applied to medical school, but graduated from one!!! Also, per the CDC website, ticks can indeed be tested for "peace of mind", even though as you and the CDC will agree, it is probably a waste of time!!!

And one ! is sufficient, no need for three.

Thank you everyone for your input.

We haven't decided yet - it's only been 3 days since we found it. Unfortunately the tick seems to have passed away, so we're not sure if there's any implication in that. A memorial service will be held this weekend. Corey is 10 by the way. I took another look at the tick: pretty sure it's a deer tick based on its size.

Thank you everyone for your input.

We haven't decided yet - it's only been 3 days since we found it. Unfortunately the tick seems to have passed away, so we're not sure if there's any implication in that. A memorial service will be held this weekend. Corey is 10 by the way. I took another look at the tick: pretty sure it's a deer tick based on its size.

If the tick died, then it probably had rabies. Was it foaming at the mouth parts?

You might want to buy a brick.

Freakonomics did an experiment where they sent one of those pet creameries a dog shaped plushie stuffed with ground beef & metal shavings & the AshEra came back with bone fragments & no shavings. You probably don't want to send it to a creamery but do it yourself if you have an outside fireplace or maybe a propane grill will do.

Freakonomics did an experiment where they sent one of those pet creameries a dog shaped plushie stuffed with ground beef & metal shavings & the AshEra came back with bone fragments & no shavings. You probably don't want to send it to a creamery but do it yourself if you have an outside fireplace or maybe a propane grill will do.

I don't know about Lyme Disease detection, but when your auto correct replaces "ashes" with "AshEra", you might have scarlet fever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT