ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Manasquan Boys Basketball sues NJSIAA over Camden loss

Do you know how many teams got unfair benefits in the past and moved on to win championships? And no one batted an eye.

Only Camden must do this and that’s hilarious. And I’m not even associated with Camden.
I should have added that this is not about Camden. If the shot went in after the buzzer and Manasquan got the benefit and the story went national I think they should do what I am saying Camden should do in this situation

Do you know how many teams got unfair benefits in the past and moved on to win championships? And no one batted an eye.

Only Camden must do this and that’s hilarious. And I’m not even associated with Camden.
It is much different with this game…but to argue about it does no good. The issue is was the assigned referee who made the change a former player at Camden? If true that is more than just advantage.

It is much different with this game…but to argue about it does no good. The issue is was the assigned referee who made the change a former player at Camden? If true that is more than just advantage.
Then everyone responsible for this ref should pay for their incompetence for putting themselves in this spot that could’ve easily been avoided.

Let’s just hope that the NJSIAA learns from this debacle and develops better protocols in the future. There were some good suggestions in the Politi column today from coaches. In the scheme of things it’s not an earth-shattering thing, but it still sucks for the kids who gave their heart and soul to the season and were robbed of an incredible memory of a lifetime.

Reactions: Plum Street
It’s a shame that both teams had to deal with these putrid refs. It’s not Camden’s nor Manasquan’s fault. But the game is over, it is what it is and move on to the next game. At least that’s what other teams have been told after they got screwed by the refs all the time in years past. IDK what makes this case different?🙄

And for those who are calling for Camden to DO THE RIGHT THING and give the win to Manasquan: How many teams have done the same in the past? ZERO.

Maybe implement replay systems by having the YouTube/ NFHS Network crew covering the game provide monitors, cameras, and other equipment for playoff games. Or have the state bring their own cameras/ Hudl Sideline systems for its own replay system. Or maybe stop having these neutral site games at these random schools with skipping clocks, buzzers that you could barely hear, and other equipment that would not be up to par for a state playoff game neutral site.
I don't think anyone is asking for Camden to do the right thing and give the win to 'Squan. They should forfeit their next game. You know the one they don't deserve to play in.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/07/sports/new-jersey-judge-denies-manasquan-basketball-teams-filing/Arts School of Newark, said it's willing to postpone the game till a later date to make sure the right decision is made. Think about it, their title would also be tarnished if many believe they didn't face the rightful team.Yup, it's a complete mess and I hope it doesn't turn into a racial debate. Both teams played great and the Refs had an extremely horrible 5 seconds to end this great game.

Reactions: newell138
For those that don't know, Manasquan High appeared to upset Camden in a state playoff game. Camden made a free throw to put them up one with a few seconds left, Manasquan drove the length of the floor, put up a wild shot, they got the rebound and put it in before the buzzer sounded. Referee signaled it was good. Camden started squawking and the refs (two of which apparently had left the floor), huddled up and overruled the first official and said it did not count. Replay clearly shows it was good. Manasquan appealed, but even with the NJSIAA saying the shot was good and the ref who overruled the call saw the replay and knew it was wrong, their hands are tied. A law firm in Northern NJ filed a suit on behalf of the school. Doubt it goes anywhere.

Lawsuit
they should sue, that was absolute travesty

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Manasquan didn't score the entire 4th quarter. They deserved to lose the game. Call was wrong, but maybe Squan should be sued instead for impersonating a basketball team in Q4.

Manasquan didn't score the entire 4th quarter. They deserved to lose the game. Call was wrong, but maybe Squan should be sued instead for impersonating a basketball team in Q4.

So a team masquerading and impersonating a team, beat a Team that were playing like champions?

LOL. I've seen this logic on twitter. It's silly but whatever.

At the end of the day, Manasquan could have changed into dresses, scored 4 points for Camden, had one of their players take a dump on center court, and it wouldn't change the very simple fact that they won and Camden lost.

It's really that simple.

They actually played by the rules of NJ HS BB and made the play when they had to. Unfortunately that’s why I’m saying that it’s neither teams fault that the refs are nimrods.

The fact that Manasquan didn't score in the 4th quarter is irrelevant. They still scored more points than Camden.
So true.
The fact that the one ref was 90% sure that his correct call was in fact correct, but nevertheless checked with another official...whose opinion was obviously wrong... shows a rather unique level of incompetence.
And the fact that everyone can clearly see that the shot occurred before the game was over and yet the powers that be don't feel obliged to correct the result of the game is just plain stupid.

They actually played by the rules of NJ HS BB and made the play when they had to. Unfortunately that’s why I’m saying that it’s neither teams fault that the refs are nimrods.
According to some X (Twitter) accounts, it was said the Camden coaches "coerced" the refs to review the play. IF (and IF) that is true, it's on Camden, and sad for the kids on both teams.

According to some X (Twitter) accounts, it was said the Camden coaches "coerced" the refs to review the play. IF (and IF) that is true, it's on Camden, and sad for the kids on both teams.
It's not unreasonable for a coach to request a ref to review the play. I do not think that puts any blame on Camden

You can see the video that the once coach did approach the ref and was pretty animated (granted, most coaches would be). Then it appears the two other officials then are gathered to huddle up and the play is changed.

What's interesting, and something I didn't notice myself on the replay, is this notion that once the refs leave the floor the call stands. Some are suggesting two of the officials did leave the floor and then came back. If that's true and the rules are as they say they are, then how could they change the play?

Granted, by this point, if the refs had left and came back, the NJSIAA would likely have addressed it at this point. End of the day, Manasquan gets screwed, Camden likely wins a tainted championship and it's a story that's talked about for years in NJ basketball.

Of course...they won the game and refs took it away. I agree with this. But for god's sake, just score ONE basket during the course of that quarter and this isn't even an issue. They choked it up in Q4...and let it happen to them.

It's not unreasonable for a coach to request a ref to review the play. I do not think that puts any blame on Camden
I heard on the radio it was more than that and wasn't the coaches. What was said was the Camden AD and one of the heads of the NJ athletic association were sitting together. Camden AD spoke to the association rep who them came onto the court to speak to the lead referee. Then refs conferred and call was changed. I did not see this so can't vouch if true but supposedly there is video.

Of course...they won the game and refs took it away. I agree with this. But for god's sake, just score ONE basket during the course of that quarter and this isn't even an issue. They choked it up in Q4...and let it happen to them.
Again, everything that happened prior to the last shot is irrelevant.

Whether Manasquan scored a basket or not matters not… the scoreboard was changed back to just before manasquan scored the 2 point basket you claim they needed to make in what was still the 4th quarter.

I heard on the radio it was more than that and wasn't the coaches. What was said was the Camden AD and one of the heads of the NJ athletic association were sitting together. Camden AD spoke to the association rep who them came onto the court to speak to the lead referee. Then refs conferred and call was changed. I did not see this so can't vouch if true but supposedly there is video.
Non coaches should have been ignored

Reactions: RUBOB72
Is there a rule you have to score in every quarter to win?
Course not. But typically when you don't score for an entire fourth quarter you don't win. This is a total collapse. The refs took the game away, but it never should have been close to begin with.

If I was the Camden coach, I would forfeit and suggest Squan take the spot

You don't do something like this often, but this was pretty obvious and a miscarriage of justice
I agree and think if they did, they would have a positive national reaction. It would be a better result for them than winning the next game.

Reactions: wheezer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT