ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Manasquan Boys Basketball sues NJSIAA over Camden loss

Embarrassed Duck GIF

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
It should be noted that Camden does have a weird relationship with the NJSIAA, with some saying they get preferential treatment from the NJSIAA. The NJSIAA has looked the other way sometimes when Camden brought in players that frankly, they should have looked at more closely as whether or not they are legitimate players.
They actually did look ?

You are asking the State of NJ to do the work assigning referees.? Used to be a list of the qualified ones and most school staffs know many. Most of this news came out late yesterday afternoon and earlier was not a big story . In fact NJ. Com posted at 9:59 pm last night a updated storyline.
Page 5 of this state document says the state assigns and pays for officials

As we will always have whiners when refs, league officials and judges don’t give them what they want.
I think what they want is simply for the actual play on the court to be reflected in the official result. When there are cases when that doesn't happen, EVERYONE should whine. No one ever should have to tolerate officially losing a game despite actually winning it. See my Cardinals in the 85 series, the RU women at Tennesse a few years back, the RU men at Ohio State last year, and on and on.

I think what they want is simply for the actual play on the court to be reflected in the official result. When there are cases when that doesn't happen, EVERYONE should whine. No one ever should have to tolerate officially losing a game despite actually winning it. See my Cardinals in the 85 series, the RU women at Tennesse a few years back, the RU men at Ohio State last year, and on and on.
…and the 1972 USA-USSR Olympic MBB game, and Yogi’s tag on Jackie in the WS, etc

It’s understandable to be upset about a blown call but that’s where it ends. Carrying on about reversing the call and outcome and taking it to the court is futile because the rules are clear. No video reviews.

You can’t selectively ignore the rule for only one play for the simple reason that there were probably other judgement calls over the course of the game that also couldn’t get reviewed.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
…and the 1972 USA-USSR Olympic MBB game, and Yogi’s tag on Jackie in the WS, etc

It’s understandable to be upset about a blown call but that’s where it ends. Carrying on about reversing the call and outcome and taking it to the court is futile because the rules are clear. No video reviews.

You can’t selectively ignore the rule for only one play for the simple reason that there were probably other judgement calls over the course of the game that also couldn’t get reviewed.
But not easily corrected. This one was easily corrected. Why should refs have immunity from bad calls, especially game-ending and game-deciding ones that are clearly wrong and that ended the season for the winning team ?
Especially since it was a correct call made by the closest official that was later overturned to an incorrect one by the trailing official. I won't speculate on the motives of that official, but the damage that was done to the actual winning team (especially the seniors) and the integrity of New Jersey sports is real...and easily correctible.
A damn shame they let this injustice stand.

But not easily corrected. This one was easily corrected. Why should refs have immunity from bad calls, especially game-ending and game-deciding ones that are clearly wrong and that ended the season for the winning team ?
Especially since it was a correct call made by the closest official that was later overturned to an incorrect one by the trailing official. I won't speculate on the motives of that official, but the damage that was done to the actual winning team (especially the seniors) and the integrity of New Jersey sports is real...and easily correctible.
A damn shame they let this injustice stand.
If you want video reviews to be used there needs to be a system in place for the whole game, not random videos just for some plays. That’s going to require about six cameras with trained operators at specific floor locations, and monitors connected to those cameras. I certainly don’t want tax dollars going to that.

While this very critical bad decision went against ‘Squan are you sure that there weren’t any bad calls that went against Camden that could have been reversed had there been cameras? That’s the rub.

Reactions: tom1944
While this very critical bad decision went against ‘Squan are you sure that there weren’t any bad calls that went against Camden that could have been reversed had there been cameras? That’s the rub.
Thats is such a weak argument. Most calls in basketball that are ticky/tacky are foul/possession calls. Situations like this one was a no brainer and the refs got it right the first time.

Also the praise by Politi for Manasquan boys team sportsmanship is overrated. They were there to support the girls (which is what their coach said). Being there for the Camden-Arts game was a coincidence due to the girls game and just keeps the discussion on this going on.

If you want video reviews to be used there needs to be a system in place for the whole game, not random videos just for some plays. That’s going to require about six cameras with trained operators at specific floor locations, and monitors connected to those cameras. I certainly don’t want tax dollars going to that.

I want them just for plays that 100 % change the outcome of a playoff game...those where an official clearly makes the correct call at the end of a game only to have another official see something different (and incorrectly) and absolutely change the outcome of the game.
If anything, this travesty clearly shows that refs should not be immune from having their work overseen....and in certain clear travesties that absolutely affect the outcome of the game...corrected.
Oh...the horror.

Then at least you have time to overcome it,see the difference?
Squan had time to overcome it the entire fourth quarter. If you go 8 minutes without scoring bad things are going to happen to you. Can't pick one play just because it was the last play of the game. There are 32 minutes in the game and countless plays that can impact the scoring or not scoring of 1, 2, 3 points during those 32 minutes. The wrong thing happened here, that's for sure. But there should not be a legal battle or anything else. It's over and we're not getting video review for HS basketball in NJ. Hell we don't even have a shot clock and I would guess part of that is due to the cost involved...need to add equipment to every HS gym and an extra official to keep the shot clock. We need a shot clock before we need video review or anything else that some folks are talking about.

Then at least you have time to overcome it,see the difference?
So if Manasquan made a basket at halftime that was called good but was actually after the buzzer and got screwed at the end of the game like they did they should have recourse in court but since Camden was hurt by a terrible call at the half they don’t get recourse in court?

That sounds like a great way to use the court system

Squan had time to overcome it the entire fourth quarter. If you go 8 minutes without scoring bad things are going to happen to you. Can't pick one play just because it was the last play of the game. There are 32 minutes in the game and countless plays that can impact the scoring or not scoring of 1, 2, 3 points during those 32 minutes. The wrong thing happened here, that's for sure. But there should not be a legal battle or anything else. It's over and we're not getting video review for HS basketball in NJ. Hell we don't even have a shot clock and I would guess part of that is due to the cost involved...need to add equipment to every HS gym and an extra official to keep the shot clock. We need a shot clock before we need video review or anything else that some folks are talking about.
Don’t worry the videos were reviewed. They could not do a thing since too many on the state committee would have had to answer a number of questions. It would have shown some to be similar to what the referees were… incompetent.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Every basketball game contains a large, random selection of mistakes by the refs. Paying attention only to mistakes that happened to happen at the very end of a game, and trying to use them to justify overturning a result is not correct or fair. Nobody likes to see something this egregious, but S**T happens and a huge part of the lessons here ( y'all are after all constantly preaching about the lessons that the kids are supposed to be learning from sports) is learning how to lose gracefully and get over it.

Last edited:
This was not just “ a mistake”… it was the blatant incompetent call change which should not have occurred. There should be a public statement noting the that this has been corrected and a procedural change has been implemented going forward.

This was not just “ a mistake”… it was the blatant incompetent call change which should not have occurred. There should be a public statement noting the that this has been corrected and a procedural change has been implemented going forward.

There are reports (I can't verify) that a NJSIAA official was at the game and went down to the floor to talk to the refs while things were being sorted out. The NJSIAA official in question has been video'd celebrating with the team after one of their playoff wins.

If that's true, it certainly doesn't make this look any better whether he influenced the call or not.

There are reports (I can't verify) that a NJSIAA official was at the game and went down to the floor to talk to the refs while things were being sorted out. The NJSIAA official in question is rumored to have ties to Camden and has been video'd celebrating with the team after one of their playoff wins.

If that's true, it certainly doesn't make this look any better whether he influenced the call or not.
Keep hearing this and yet posters on this board refute this claim . Still the blame is not with the players and teams but officials. On the floor and in the rafters. NJ ‘s finest always stand out when controversy is in play.

Every basketball game contains a large, random selection of mistakes by the refs. Paying attention only to mistakes that happened to happen at the very end of a game, and trying to use them to justify overturning a result is not correct or fair. Nobody like to see something this egregious, but S**T happens and a huge part of the lessons here ( y'all are after all constantly preaching about the lessons that the kids are supposed to be learning from sports) is learning how to lose gracefully and get over it.

Yep. I don’t understand why this is even a discussion on here.

Reactions: dconifer
Yep. I don’t understand why this is even a discussion on here.
Why you say? Have you watched basketball recently over the past several years? Rutgers fans know about referees and decisions. Now complaining is meaningless but this is something which taints the competitive game of high school basketball. Referees are attached to the connections they have with local AD ‘s for the most part . State tourney assignments supposedly assigned by the state athletic dept. ? Discussions are good the majority of time. Problem is some just don’t want to discuss answers for a better solution.

Don’t worry the videos were reviewed. They could not do a thing since too many on the state committee would have had to answer a number of questions. It would have shown some to be similar to what the referees were… incompetent.
The videos were not relevant. There is no video review process. Refs were incompetent…that is true. The point is we don’t have video review and probs never will. Not practical for this level.

The videos were not relevant. There is no video review process. Refs were incompetent…that is true. The point is we don’t have video review and probs never will. Not practical for this level.
It’s the public seeing the shot clock in video repeatedly . The public viewing the court fiasco of two teams who lost , then won then a mob of state officials, coaches and whoever else felt it was ok to come down onto the court. F the state’s version… that is the narrative in order to make it all better. Are you ok with that ? My gripe is … fix the rules on video replay if it is available . Many high schools have games on tv locally so if it’s good in college and pros that’s the why I would like solved. Otherwise I have no ties to any of these teams anymore.

It’s the public seeing the shot clock in video repeatedly . The public viewing the court fiasco of two teams who lost , then won then a mob of state officials, coaches and whoever else felt it was ok to come down onto the court. F the state’s version… that is the narrative in order to make it all better. Are you ok with that ? My gripe is … fix the rules on video replay if it is available . Many high schools have games on tv locally so if it’s good in college and pros that’s the why I would like solved. Otherwise I have no ties to any of these teams anymore.
Disagree. You cannot have replay in NJ high school hoops. Which plays do you review? Where do you go to review the tape? Should the ref grab the live feed on his phone? There are numerous mistakes throughout every single game. Can’t just choose which ones are “horrible” mistakes and review those. Refs mess it up every day…we have to live with it at this level.

Every basketball game contains a large, random selection of mistakes by the refs. Paying attention only to mistakes that happened to happen at the very end of a game, and trying to use them to justify overturning a result is not correct or fair. Nobody likes to see something this egregious, but S**T happens and a huge part of the lessons here ( y'all are after all constantly preaching about the lessons that the kids are supposed to be learning from sports) is learning how to lose gracefully and get over it.
exactly right. It's really unfortunate and I feel bad for the team but to litigate over this sets a poor example, defies logic and wastes money. There are few better examples of 'where does it end?'. In any game both teams could cherry pick moments to litigate. The players coaches and refs all make mistakes. Game over.

Reactions: RUinBoston
Most mistakes by officials aren't as glaring and obvious and viewed by a large segment of the public like this one was. It makes the officials who called the game look like buffoons and the NJSIAA even worse. It strikes at the very integrity of the game unfortunately.
And unfortunately it gives ammunition to conspiracy theorists everywhere.

Why you say? Have you watched basketball recently over the past several years? Rutgers fans know about referees and decisions. Now complaining is meaningless but this is something which taints the competitive game of high school basketball. Referees are attached to the connections they have with local AD ‘s for the most part . State tourney assignments supposedly assigned by the state athletic dept. ? Discussions are good the majority of time. Problem is some just don’t want to discuss answers for a better solution.

I don’t think you are actually interested in understanding another point of view. Everyone played by the rules and they lost. Period.

I don’t think you are actually interested in understanding another point of view.
For me, that's the most important thing to keep in mind on a message board, if one wants to keep his/her sanity. Not everybody is interested in or capable of critical thinking, objective analysis, and keeping an open mind...

A true shame that the win was taken away from the Manasquan team by human error.

All of that hard work each player and the team put into reaching that level.

And they don’t get the earned reward.

-vic

I don’t think you are actually interested in understanding another point of view. Everyone played by the rules and they lost. Period.
I have no problem with the calls on the court, even in the light of their human error. If any officials left the court and returned or the reported official in the stands had any influence afterwards on the change, well that's a different story.

Most mistakes by officials aren't as glaring and obvious and viewed by a large segment of the public like this one was. It makes the officials who called the game look like buffoons and the NJSIAA even worse. It strikes at the very integrity of the game unfortunately.
And unfortunately it gives ammunition to conspiracy theorists everywhere.
As it should

Disagree. You cannot have replay in NJ high school hoops. Which plays do you review? Where do you go to review the tape? Should the ref grab the live feed on his phone? There are numerous mistakes throughout every single game. Can’t just choose which ones are “horrible” mistakes and review those. Refs mess it up every day…we have to live with it at this level.
-What ever YouTube/ NFHS Network company covering the game, including NJ com and their obnoxious announcer, is to provide the refs cameras, monitors, etc for replay. It’s the least that those bootleg ESPN companies can do since in NFHS Network’s case, subscribers PAY for their mostly 💩💩💩 work.

-Give coaches two challenges per game at anytime. They keep their challenge if they win, lose a timeout if they lose.

-Officials can use these feeds for any reason, esp a situation like Camden/ Manasquan. If they still screw that up: BANNED

-Any school official, employee, fan, etc approach an official at any time: BANNED, FIRED, AND/OR ARRESTED.

Based on the logic in this thread every game winning shot can now be overturned by complaining to the refs after the game is over. Sad state of HS sports in NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT