ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Marvel Cinematic Universe and other Comic Book Movies Talk

Asimov's Foundation coming to Apple TV in a few weeks.
Apple TV has had some good series.. not sure if they just buy the right stuff or help order and control what they show.. but I have liked several.. my faves are For All Mankind and Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest.

BTW.. been listening to the Tarzan novels on Librivox (novels have a 95 year copyright in USA so anything written before.. what is it now 1926 is fair game to make a free audiobook or ebook for.. and some great stuff was written back then).. in any case.. I think the tech now exists to make some great Tarzan show and I hope someone does it. The racist treatment of some black tribes could be an issue.. but if you really get into the books you'll see Burroughs found evil everywhere.. regardless of race.. which is pretty accurate imho.

The thoughts above on Prime's Wheel of Time series.. thanks.. good to note. I think what made Game of Thrones so good was that while there were high fantasy elements.. they were really minimal, ultimately.. the most important aspects were human values and failings with each other.. stuff we can all recognize. Only near the very end did the high fantasy elements have an overpowering effect. I think that's something many shows from high fantasy novels have to worry about over-doing.

Last edited:
Mr. Anderson is back for The Matrix: Resurrections. Looks promising.

I read them all, but by the time I started, RJ was gone and Sanderson, who I'm a huge fan of, was already working on the project. I own them all, lol. Only the Sanderson books in hardcover. Then again, I own over a thousand books so not really a big deal.
I read all of the WOT books a few years ago, and one of the reasons I stayed committed through the tedium specifically was the fact that I knew there would be an end to the story I haven’t gotten (and may never get) from Martin or Rothfuss.

I read all of the WOT books a few years ago, and one of the reasons I stayed committed through the tedium specifically was the fact that I knew there would be an end to the story I haven’t gotten (and may never get) from Martin or Rothfuss.
OMG, don't even start me on those two, especially Rothfuss. Dude's been teasing book 3 for ten years, living the celebrity life, going to conventions, doing podcasts, D&D tournaments, in short anything but work on his damn book LOL.

OMG, don't even start me on those two, especially Rothfuss. Dude's been teasing book 3 for ten years, living the celebrity life, going to conventions, doing podcasts, D&D tournaments, in short anything but work on his damn book LOL.
Hey that sounds familiar to GoT fans and GRRM with The Winds of Winter lol.

Rothfuss!!!!! He's taking RJ and GRRM to a new level. I read book #1 and loved it. Refused to read book 2 until book 3 was finished (especially after I heard of writing delays). Yeah, been there done that. After a decade, book 3 is still no where in sight.

Hey that sounds familiar to GoT fans and GRRM with The Winds of Winter lol.
The thing is, Rothfuss actually promoted the first book in his trilogy using the premise that unlike Martin he was going to finish his series in a reasonable amount of time.

Then, not only didn’t he do that, he is a worse person than Martin because he gets combative and insulting when people question him on whether he is going to finish.

Reactions: czxqa and T2Kplus20
Season 1? of What If ended today. Brilliant series with a great ending… Also this episode was the last work done by Chadwick Boseman

Although I haven’t seen them yet, Surprised there hasn’t been talk on Shang Chi and Venom 2. Hopefully I’ll get some time to watch one or both soon enough. At least before Eternals and SpiderMan comes out.

Reactions: Zak57
Season 1? of What If ended today. Brilliant series with a great ending… Also this episode was the last work done by Chadwick Boseman

Although I haven’t seen them yet, Surprised there hasn’t been talk on Shang Chi and Venom 2. Hopefully I’ll get some time to watch one or both soon enough. At least before Eternals and SpiderMan comes out.

Need to watch the finale of What If but just a great job by them. A lot of strong eps in there and also some good humor.

Shang Chi was enjoyable but didn't love it as much as some other origin stories. Love what they're doing with the story though.

Black Widow came to Disney+ today I believe.

Need to watch Venom 2 but some of it was ruined for me already.

I didn't like the first Venom but my friend really wanted to go see the second one as he liked the first one. I had the same feeling of the second as I did the first, and my friend hated it.

It’s been a while for this thread but is anyone watching MOON KNIGHT on Disney+?

Had no idea what this character was all about but this show through five episodes is 🦇💩 CRAZY!!!

NO SPOILERS BUT It’s really a mix of Fight Club, Split, The Mummy, etc. Last time a show that I had no idea about caught my eye like this was Invincible.

Oscar Isaac 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

It’s been a while for this thread but is anyone watching MOON KNIGHT on Disney+?

Had no idea what this character was all about but this show through five episodes is 🦇💩 CRAZY!!!

NO SPOILERS BUT It’s really a mix of Fight Club, Split, The Mummy, etc. Last time a show that I had no idea about caught my eye like this was Invincible.

Oscar Isaac 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I’m on episode 3 and so far NOT a fan. Weak cast and some ridiculously stupid scenes. Disney needs to stick to what it does best = kiddie movies.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Weak Cast? Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are considered 2 of the best actors out there.
Sorry - I didn’t mean weak cast in terms of acting ability or experience. Isaac is a great actor but ill-suited for the role IMO. Perhaps it stems from the fact that he has to go back and forth between characters including the accent. IDK - just doesn’t work for me. For example, Cumberbatch is the perfect Dr. strange. Downey the perfect Iron Man.

This article is basically how I feel:

I haven't watched Moon Knight yet, but the reviews have been meh.

Waiting for Obi-Wan! And then Andor, Mando 3, and Ahsoka. Also, sounds like HBO Max just started a The Wire 2.0 series:

Now that Disney+ has a MA tier - would be awesome to have a 3rd season of Punisher... which is still my favorite series in the last few years.

Reactions: koleszar
I think John Bernthal is a very underrated actor. Everything he's in, he's excellent. I really liked him in the lead as Punisher. Just one of those actors who seems destined to always be a supporting actor.
Agreed, very good actor. Looks like he is the lead in this new mini-series.

Reactions: koleszar
Now that Disney+ has a MA tier - would be awesome to have a 3rd season of Punisher... which is still my favorite series in the last few years.
Didn't see your post when I replied to T2Kplus, I whole heartedly agree. If they can get John Bernthal back into the lead it's one to watch.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Between this, Luke Cage, and esp Daredevil would be great to continue those MA17 stories from Netflix or start a variant story with the same MA17 themes.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Sorry - I didn’t mean weak cast in terms of acting ability or experience. Isaac is a great actor but ill-suited for the role IMO. Perhaps it stems from the fact that he has to go back and forth between characters including the accent. IDK - just doesn’t work for me. For example, Cumberbatch is the perfect Dr. strange. Downey the perfect Iron Man.

Agree to disagree. But if you think Oscar Isaac is too I’ll suited for this role, esp after today’s episode, then I’m not even going to argue.

Agree to disagree. But if you think Oscar Isaac is too I’ll suited for this role, esp after today’s episode, then I’m not even going to argue.

Ageed, Isaac has been killing it playing 2 sides of someone with dissociative identity disorder. My daughter who has an interest in Psychology was pointing out several of things that were happening that are rooted in the actual field of study. Without going too much into spoilers this episode even explains one of RUAldo's major concerns with the character(s).

Well, it works really well as this split personality Marc Spector than as the previous ridiculously silly casting as a wimpy Apocalypse in X-Men lol

Reactions: tico brown
Ageed, Isaac has been killing it playing 2 sides of someone with dissociative identity disorder. My daughter who has an interest in Psychology was pointing out several of things that were happening that are rooted in the actual field of study. Without going too much into spoilers this episode even explains one of RUAldo's major concerns with the character(s).
United States of Tara on Showtime is perfect for your daughter to watch. Toni Collette was someone with DID with 5 VERY DIFFERENT personalities, which is a complaint here on one of Oscar Isaac’s characters with the accent. They’re ALL DIFFERENT “PEOPLE.”

Another franchis that dealt with DID was Split (which was underrated) and Glass (which had one of the worst endings ever). James McAvoy played someone with 23 DIFFERENT personalities.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
This series is too confusing. I have lost interest. Will watch the latest episode, but it is not much watch TV for me. Too confusing.

Screw Marvel, time to get ready for the real event:

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yh_6_zItPU&list=WL&index=1

Doesn't seem like the preview is working. Cut and paste the link above without the ".....". Final Obi-Wan trailer.

Last edited:
Don’t know what was in that video. But in typical CE fashion, they will post pointless drivel and BS videos that has nothing to do with the topic in order to take everything down or locked if they don’t agree with or don’t interest them, instead of continue to scroll like a grown up with a brain…

Anyway… NO SPOILERS BUT

Epsisode 6 was pretty good.

Action was movie theater quality. And the plot was a good follow to the end of you’re familiar with the Moon Knight stories/comics. Was kinda Bad Ass, actually.

Well done, Moon Knight as a first timer…
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is now on the clock with Ms Marvel on deck on Disney Plus.

Reactions: rotorocker
Moon Knight was interesting and different but don't like what they did in the finale.

Seeing Strange tonight at 7.
agreed, I suspect the first 5 episodes were the show creators making the show they wanted to, then they had to "MCU" it in the last episode and put in a big battle scene and some other nonsense.

Was not a fan of MK; personally don't like when you have talking hippos, etc (but somehow i do like Guardians). Felt the story was too confusing along the way.

Seeing Dr. Strange in an hour. Hope it doesn't get too kooky. I feel like the MCU is going into all of these strange universes, gods, etc that just makes me smh.

It is funny that I thought Thanos was the biggest and baddest; well until the next one. And i "love" how they explain away why these new heroes and villains were not around during Thanos' reign.

* Was not a fan of MK; personally don't like when you have talking hippos, etc (but somehow i do like Guardians). Felt the story was too confusing along the way.

Seeing Dr. Strange in an hour. Hope it doesn't get too kooky. I feel like the MCU is going into all of these strange universes, gods, etc that just makes me smh.

It is funny that I thought Thanos was the biggest and baddest; well until the next one. And i "love" how they explain away why these new heroes and villains were not around during Thanos' reign.
Some of my younger guys at work are real Marvel and DC “scholars” when it comes to this kind of stuff. It’s amazing how much of the backstory they know about so many of the different characters.

I have voiced a similar concern like you did on the subject and they said a lot of what is coming is already out there in the comic book world. Some I’m sure is new but as they said, a lot isn’t.

* And I felt the same way you did about Guardians. I couldn’t get into it with the raccoon and Groot. But my boys (18 and 22 now) and the younger guys at work love it.

Some of my younger guys at work are real Marvel and DC “scholars” when it comes to this kind of stuff. It’s amazing how much of the backstory they know about so many of the different characters.

I have voiced a similar concern like you did on the subject and they said a lot of what is coming is already out there in the comic book world. Some I’m sure is new but as they said, a lot isn’t.

* And I felt the same way you did about Guardians. I couldn’t get into it with the raccoon and Groot. But my boys (18 and 22 now) and the younger guys at work love it.
I bet many of them could not point to the UKraine on a map without the use of Google! 😆

Dr Strange was good but not great. There were some great aspects in it though and some real fun fan service. Can discuss when more people see it.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT