ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Northern Lights! Take a look outside on Thursday, 10/10.

Will Scarlet

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
Parts Unknown
In the Hudson Valley, aurora borealis have been consistently visible since sunset. I understand that it's a bit north of New Jersey. But, my brother in the Poconos is also seeing them at a similar latitude. If you have a moment, it might be worth taking a look outside, primarily to the north but extending both due east and west. There's supposed to be a good chance of seeing them throughout the night as far south as the Deep South. Obviously, you'll have a better chance of seeing them in areas with minimal light pollution. Your cell phone will likely be able to capture better images than you can actually see. Good luck.

I saw it from Edison about an hour ago but no dice since then. I'll probably take a drive an hour or so north in a little bit to get away from Central Jersey's light pollution.

Well, the only benefit of being on day 14 without power in Asheville is I could get decent pictures from my house and didn't have to drive anywhere.

Saw the green and violet colors - green near earth (oxygen) and violet higher-up. Not as strong as May but still detectable. Remember that without longer exposure on a camera the colors aren't as bright and motion is not dramatic as online images. The colors are nice though.

Last edited:
You cannot really see it through the naked eye, look through your camera lens.
i had to get away from the street lights but could see it ok from pompomoro beach highlands. Definitely better in the photos though.

im a little hyped up about it now. Very cool.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT