ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loss column? The Mets have played 6 fewer games and there's like 100 games left.

That was a picture-perfect relay last night at a determinative point in the game. So well done. I hope, though, that McCann looks back at the replay and reminds himself that blocking the plate with his foot and leg before he has the ball and then removing them once he catches the ball is the opposite of how you're supposed do it. Fortunately, he got the tag down, but just barely before Marisnick got his hand on the plate.

If Carrasco and Syndegaard can really get back to pitching well by September we're going to have a really fun Fall! 2 fresh arms like that for the last month and then possibly postseason will be a huge help. Hopefully when McNeil, Conforto, Nimmo come back they start hitting again so we won't have to worry about pitching/defense every game.

That's why I wasn't really worried about the Philthies right now. I figured that California trip would take care of them and so far so good. We just needed to handle some business at home at the same time to open our division lead back up and so far so good there as well.
Mets are going to have a brutal stretch August 13-26. Seven games against the Dodgers and six games against the Giants.

Because of this, there is absolutely no need to rush Conforto, McNeil, Davis, Nikki, etc until it’s absolutely necessary… despite what the METS STINK BECAUSE THEY ONLY THREE RUNS A GAME CREW demands. They’ve been winning with pitching, defense, base running, and hitting the ball the other way. In fact, when was the last time LAUNCH ANGLE was mentioned with the Mets?

Keep this going as long as they can. Plus the power hitters would be refreshed and ready to go when they do come back.
Only thing is that except for Conforto, the guys still out are not power launch angle guys. Nimmo is an OBP guy, McNeil is a hit them where they're not and Davis a line drive guy.
Outside of Villar for Davis- there is no reason that Pillar or Peraza would or should start over McNeil Nimmo

The 162 game avg for Villar this year is actually slightly better than Davis's lifetime 162 game Avg- add in defense and Villar actually gets the nod except that Davis had a really hot bat before going down
Pillar 162 game avg this year pales to Nimmo lifetime 162 GA. Nimmo even steals as much as Pillar. Pillar's defense does not make up for the loss in offense. McNeil Perraza even a larger gap and their defense is not that much different. McNeil/Nimmo/Davis are also known as great clubhouse guys.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Only thing is that except for Conforto, the guys still out are not power launch angle guys. Nimmo is an OBP guy, McNeil is a hit them where they're not and Davis a line drive guy.
Outside of Villar for Davis- there is no reason that Pillar or Peraza would or should start over McNeil Nimmo

The 162 game avg for Villar this year is actually slightly better than Davis's lifetime 162 game Avg- add in defense and Villar actually gets the nod except that Davis had a really hot bat before going down
Pillar 162 game avg this year pales to Nimmo lifetime 162 GA. Nimmo even steals as much as Pillar. Pillar's defense does not make up for the loss in offense. McNeil Perraza even a larger gap and their defense is not that much different. McNeil/Nimmo/Davis are also known as great clubhouse guys.
I think the compromise needs to be Nimmo/McNeil start and are out in the late innings. No way imho Nimmo to McNeil to McCann gets the same result as what we saw in the 9th last night to save the game.

I think the compromise needs to be Nimmo/McNeil start and are out in the late innings. No way imho Nimmo to McNeil to McCann gets the same result as what we saw in the 9th last night to save the game.
Fair enough but...McNeil is over 100 pts on his average and 114 on OBP 104 SLG over Peraza. In more cases than not- we would rarely find ourselves needing that perfect play. And McNeil is not a liability on normal plays.
Nimmo - there is a better case for it but most likely he goes to LF and Pillar to CF in those cases and Smith is out.

But let's even take last night's play- we make that perfect relay, throw, tag maybe 30-50% of the time at best. So, even those 2 guys out there would give up that run many times and then we lose 2 players that are both more that 100 pt OBP during the extra innings.

I'm not really a Perazza guy. My ideal configuration would have McNeil at 3b with Villar at 2nd and JD 1st bat off the bench as I posted previously. Outfield wise I can live with moving Nimmo to LF late but my ideal late inning outfield is Pillar in left, Almora in center and Conforto/McKinney in right. I know I'm sacrificing offense with Nimmo and Dom on the bench, but I would rather try to win in regulation with good D then having to go to the crapshoot of extras with the runner starting on 2nd.

It will be interesting to see if anyone's spin rate drops off.

I'm looking at you, T Walker....
I was thinking about that because, you know, it's not always just the other guys who do the bad things. So as long as we're in the complete speculation zone, I'd wonder about Stro, Castro, Diaz too, guys with nasty breaking stuff with lots of movement. I don't see deGrom in that group, and I've seen the numbers that show that his spin rate hasn't really changed over the years (though his huge uptick in velocity is unusual).

If Jake gets us there tonite its 10 games over .500 and back to back series wins against two potential playoff teams. Then we are back to playing the Nats, Braves and Phils. Win the bulk of those games and this may be a year where the race is over early. Atlanta just cannot seem to get it together and the Phils cannot win on the road. Keep the pedal to the metal between now and the AS break.

Reactions: tico brown
Just beat the Cubs tonight to win another series. I will take all of the series wins I can get.

As for Rojas, he may not be the greatest manager in baseball. But how many managers wind up being fired after falling apart because of the number of injuries a team get? He has to be doing SOMETHING right. So far, so good.
If the season were to end right now there's no doubt that he would be getting some manager of the year votes. Surely whoever is the manager of the Giants is the frontrunner right now.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
It's funny how Torre only won manager of the year awards when he was with the Yankees yet he presumably was the same manager with the same skills while he was with the Mets, Cards, Braves and Dodgers. I wonder what in particular about his performance made him a better manager than everybody else only when he was with the Yankees?

For those of you who like to keep tabs on former Met prospects now with Seattle (and you know who you are), I offer Chris Flexen's line last night: 8 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts.

"C'est la vie, said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell".

BTW, if you recognized the above reference, you're one of the old folks.

It's funny how Torre only won manager of the year awards when he was with the Yankees yet he presumably was the same manager with the same skills while he was with the Mets, Cards, Braves and Dodgers. I wonder what in particular about his performance made him a better manager than everybody else only when he was with the Yankees?
I always felt that Buck Showalter could have done just as well with that bunch.

For those of you who like to keep tabs on former Met prospects now with Seattle (and you know who you are), I offer Chris Flexen's line last night: 8 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts.

"C'est la vie, said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell".

BTW, if you recognized the above reference, you're one of the old folks.
His avg. era with the Mets was only slightly over 9.0. I cannot believe the dopes in our front office let this guy go. 😎 The only thing that would make this worse would have been if we included him in the Diaz trade with the other two future HOF's.

His avg. era with the Mets was only slightly over 9.0. I cannot believe the dopes in our front office let this guy go. 😎 The only thing that would make this worse would have been if we included him in the Diaz trade with the other two future HOF's.
It's the Justin Turner/Daniel Murphy thing with a pitcher. Leave the big city, and performance skyrockets--Even though LA is a big city, and DC is sort of.

"Betances was hit hard on June 16 during his second rehab outing for Low-A St. Lucie, allowing five runs on three hits while walking two and striking out none in just 1/3 of an inning." LOL

It will be interesting to see if anyone's spin rate drops off.

I'm looking at you, T Walker....

I was thinking about that because, you know, it's not always just the other guys who do the bad things. So as long as we're in the complete speculation zone, I'd wonder about Stro, Castro, Diaz too, guys with nasty breaking stuff with lots of movement. I don't see deGrom in that group, and I've seen the numbers that show that his spin rate hasn't really changed over the years (though his huge uptick in velocity is unusual).
Wouldn't last night have been the tell tale? Or have they not started to check?

I mean take your pick with Lowrie, Betances, etc. on worst FA ever.

That still has to go to Bonilla.
There are so many to choose from, just in the last 20 years.
  • Francisco Rodriguez (and his sidekick, JJ Putz)
  • Michael Cuddyer (although he bailed the Mets out by retiring)
  • Yoenis Cespedes (Mets got bailed out by a wild boar)
  • Ollie Perez (who knew he'd still be pitching?)
  • Luis Castillo (I can remember him dropping that pop up like it was yesterday)
  • Jason Bay (I think I'd make him number 1)
Then go back a bit further, and you have the whole 1992 Worst Team Money Could Buy. Vince Coleman, Eddie Murray, Bret Saberhagen, and of course Bobby Bo. It's not like these guys couldn't play - clearly they could - but their toxic personalities took the team down with them.

Bonilla is only the worst until the mets stop paying him over a million dollars in 2035.
I have said it before and will keep on saying it. The Wilpons' decision to buy out the final year of Bonilla's contract in 2000, and offer him a deferred annuity which ran from 2011-2035, may have been the best baseball decision they ever made.
  1. With the budgetary savings for that one year, they were able to acquire Mike Hampton, who helped get them to the World Series that year.
  2. Then when Hampton left as a free agent, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to draft David Wright.
Note I said it was a good BASEBALL decision. Financially, not so much. In determining the amounts of the annual annuity payments, the Mets used an 8% interest rate, which at the time was not crazy. It is now. Also, they were comfortable with offering that rate because their investments were consistently earning double digit returns, through a firm called Madoff Securities.

34 HRs in 1993 is like gold compared to the aforementioned (not to mention Bay, etc.).
True but unlike the others we are still paying him. I know he came back in a trade but I think he was still on that FA contract if I recall correctly.

I have said it before and will keep on saying it. The Wilpons' decision to buy out the final year of Bonilla's contract in 2000, and offer him a deferred annuity which ran from 2011-2035, may have been the best baseball decision they ever made.
  1. With the budgetary savings for that one year, they were able to acquire Mike Hampton, who helped get them to the World Series that year.
  2. Then when Hampton left as a free agent, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to draft David Wright.
Note I said it was a good BASEBALL decision. Financially, not so much. In determining the amounts of the annual annuity payments, the Mets used an 8% interest rate, which at the time was not crazy. It is now. Also, they were comfortable with offering that rate because their investments were consistently earning double digit returns, through a firm called Madoff Securities.
You are of course correct but I cannot get over my dislike for Bobby Bo and that fake smile and false personality. I never wanted him here and he really did not want us. We were like his third choice. Signing him also ate up money we could have used to pursue Barry Bonds the next year.

Frankie K-rod Rodriguez doesn’t get the hate from Mets fans as he could
His signing cost the Mets their draft pick and the Mets loved TROUT

Now that I have got my Bobby Bo rage out, let's get back to tonight's game. The kid Chicago is putting on the mound tonight apparently has a fastball that tops out at 102. Let's hope he has control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT