ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll get em tomorrow and it’s just one game mentality needs to be erased from this franchise !!! Yes those games you lost to a pitcher with a 6.75 era in May count just as much as a Braves game in sept. Letting your catchers bat 150 all year with zero power isn’t acceptable. Whoop de do Nido had a good 3 weeks. Sucking for the 4 months prior cost you several games.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

Billy Eppler - an F. Disgrace at the deadline.

Naquin / Ruf - awful

Vogelbach / Givens - not impactful...bench pieces

Reactions: Mr Magoo
With that crowd, full stadium,playoffs, I hardly think it was because the Mets were "flat". They were out pitched by a guy who has always owned them. Win tonight, to keep those lurking from the site and keep winning, that is all. LFGM!!

The Mets have looked done since the Cubs swept them at home. I’m looking forward to seeing Alvarez tonight..something we should have seen a month ago, and probably would have had this weekend off if we did.

Buck needs to be held accountable on several fronts.

- Passing over Degrom in Game 1. Degrom has earned the right to start Game 1.
- Foolish Strategy via trying to save Degrom vs LAD. It's do or die in wild card series. Don't overthink the issue.
- i think above motivated Padres via feeling they are being disrespected.
- Peterson, as long reliever, should have been brought into game way earlier in the 5th inning. It was obvious to me at the game and I'm sure those watching that Max had nothing.
- Via the above, it appeared Buck was managing the game as a meaningless regular season game and not a Do or Die Playoff game.
My thoughts:

1) Your first point and your last point are contradictory. If the game is do or die as you say, then you do what you believe gives you the best chance to win, regardless of whose feathers get ruffled. No one has earned anything.

2) To your second point, I don't think Buck ever said he was holding deGrom back. That was media speculation if the Mets won, which is now irrelevant. I seriously doubt the this media speculation was locker room bulletin board material, but who knows.

3) Re pulling Scherzer early, remember it looked like he had righted the ship. He was perfect in the third and fourth innings.

I tell ya. After last night, RU can use a guy like max Scherzer at qb. You know someone who can quickly put up 7 when throwing the ball.

Last edited:
deGrom I thought blew the season in Oakland (up 2.5), and then had a downer in ATL. Have no problem putting the $40M guy in G1 who is one of the best postseason pitchers of all time. deGrom has his chance today - we’ll see what happens.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
deGrom I thought blew the season in Oakland (up 2.5), and then had a downer in ATL. Have no problem putting the $40M guy in G1 who is one of the best postseason pitchers of all time. deGrom has his chance today - we’ll see what happens.
Agree with Scherzer in game 1. He’s certainly been there before. Who knew it would be a Sh!tshow?

Reactions: FrankZ
I had no issue with starting Max in game 1. deGrom has been more shaky than him recently. We need #48's best this evening.

No dog in the fight and not questioning who the Mets had starting, but not going to let the “one of best postseason pitchers of all time” claim pass without comment.

A 7-7 record with a 3.58 ERA hardly fits that description.

Last night was an extra rough one for the board faithful. Maybe today will take away a little of the sting. Obviously, the mood will be determined by tomorrow night.

My thoughts:

1) Your first point and your last point are contradictory. If the game is do or die as you say, then you do what you believe gives you the best chance to win, regardless of whose feathers get ruffled. No one has earned anything.

2) To your second point, I don't think Buck ever said he was holding deGrom back. That was media speculation if the Mets won, which is now irrelevant. I seriously doubt the this media speculation was locker room bulletin board material, but who knows.

3) Re pulling Scherzer early, remember it looked like he had righted the ship. He was perfect in the third and fourth innings.
1-Game 1 sets the tone of a best of 3 series. Who is your best pitcher to do that ? Degrom or Scherzer? To me it’s Degrom. Which of the 8 wild card teams did not start their ace in game 1?

2- SD reads the media noise. They were disrespected. Bob Melvin too good of a manager not to let his players be aware.

3- After the 2 hits in the 5th inning or maybe even after the first hit prior to the homer - Scherzer should have been lifted. He had garbage. It was evident in the first inning. Poor managing by Buck.

Hopefully tonight we get a win which will mean a terrific game from Degrom and hopefully some clutch hitting which was non existent last night.

If DeGrom is your #1 and he’s fully healthy, you pitch him game 1 end of story.

Max is obviously no slouch, but Buck just trying to get too cute with it. It’s do or die baseball, you put your #1 then your #2 and then your #3 if needed.

I warned you guys this Padre team is different on the road offensively.

Psychologically I also think SD just had a major edge. You guys just went through some adversity with Atlanta and reading through this thread it’s been the sky is falling since that series. Padres have been out of the division for a while and have taken on the mentality of “just get us in October so we can eat” like a starving pack of rabid dogs.

Built for the post season is what they’ve said all year long, let’s see what happens in G2.

Fully expect Snell to throw around 6 shutout innings with 1-3 hits for the game, but you can get to him in the 5th inning if you get some base runners on.

Good luck tonight guys, this is one of the best matchups the playoffs will see this year. Shame it had to happen so early

Reactions: colbert17
OK Jake, this is your moment. This is the game that you have waited seven long years to pitch. Your potential free agent suitors will be watching. More importantly, WE will be watching. This game, and hopefully a few more to follow shortly thereafter, may well determine whether #48 ever hangs on the left field wall at Citi.

Time to deliver.

OK Jake, this is your moment. This is the game that you have waited seven long years to pitch. Your potential free agent suitors will be watching. More importantly, WE will be watching. This game, and hopefully a few more to follow shortly thereafter, may well determine whether #48 ever hangs on the left field wall at Citi.

Time to deliver.
Fully agreed. Clunker and he’s probably done here.

I probably would have taken walker over magill.
Walker would be pitching on short rest. And if he's penciled in for game 1 of the next series, you really would prefer not to use him. I know it's survive and advance. But the goal is not to win this series. It's to win the World Series. The manager has to take the long view IMO.

Time to deliver.
Checked in from the stands last night on the phone. Glad I missed it. College football Saturdays are church days to me. Will barely watch tonight, especially without Gary, Ron (and injured Keith) calling the game. May have the radio on to listen to Howie call the game (if they are on?).

Reactions: 29PAS
Walker would be pitching on short rest. And if he's penciled in for game 1 of the next series, you really would prefer not to use him. I know it's survive and advance. But the goal is not to win this series. It's to win the World Series. The manager has to take the long view IMO.
Yes but you can’t win the World Series without winning the first series.

Am at game, seated and ready! NJ Transit and LIRR. Can only imagine what 7 line is like right now.

flamethrower GIF

Had a chance to make the padres pay in the first inning and only got 1. Flashbacks to the Braves series.
need to wake up the bats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT