ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning as a wildcard is harder now because the rules were changed just this last winter to require wild cards to play a best of three series, and then play a well-rested opponent in a best of five series. In the past, all that was necessary was to win a single wild card game and then play one of the division champions. Before then, there wasn't even a wild card game; the wild card played a division champ right away.
Id rather have a best of 3 than a one and done if you lose a single wild card game.

You should not have mentioned Drury. That may trigger some Mets fans. 🤣 I think it's a West Coast thing. Add Drury to the list of Wilmer Flores, Justin Turner, JD Davis (and probably leaving someone off the list) that have gone West and thrived. It happens.

Who took Hosmer's place and how is he doing?

I'd wish you luck, but can't do that. Should be a fun series, but frankly, considering the record this season, would rather be facing the Phils.
I've really become a big Drury fan. He plays the game hard, I love his approach. Very old school. Obviously the talent level is different but he reminds me of Steve Garvey.
I think a guy who will surprise Met fans is Kim. Another throwback guy who really has proved himelf this year. So much so that I would like to see Tatis in CF in 2023.

101-61 is pretty damn good. Are we still considered co-champs?

Anyway, I know many of us are disappointed the Mets got the wild card. But other teams have done it before, and chances are the pennant goes through LA. Does it really matter whether it’s the division round or finals? You still need to beat them.

On another note, If the Phillies and Mets win, would the Mets as the higher seed get Atlanta?
The only difference is the NLDS is a 5 game series vs NLCS is a 7 game series.

In theory both the padres and mets have more starting rotation depth than the dodgers which is less of a factor in a 5 game series.

While we wait for RU/Nebraska and Mets/Padres, I thought I'd revisit the Mets last playoff game. October 5, 2016. Giants 3, Mets 0. Conor F'n Gillaspie with the bomb in the ninth off Familia.

Looking back at that team (at least at their wild card lineup), it's hard to imagine how that team won 87 games. Yes, they had solid starting pitching and an excellent endgame pen. But that lineup that night against MadBum, och!

1 through 4 was solid enough: Reyes, Cabrera, Cespedes, Granderson. Then it got ugly.

Batting fifth : TJ Rivera! Yes he was a nice bench player, but seriously? In a win-or-go-home?

Batting sixth: Jay Bruce! A trade deadline acquisition who did nothing. The more things change...

Batting seventh: Rene Rivera! When you are facing a must-win, you can never have enough Riveras.

Batting eighth: James Loney! He was actually pretty good that year replacing the injured Lucas Duda. But against a dominant lefty like Bumgarner he was overmatched. So it is understandable that late in the game, he was pinch-hit for. By none other than... Eric Campbell! Yes, that Eric Campbell. The very symbol of Met offensive futility during that era.

Batting ninth: Noah Syndergaard! This was back when he was Thor. Not a bad hitter, but with the game on the line they had to hit for the pitcher. And they did so with... Ty Kelly! Who has the honor of getting the Mets last postseason hit, an honor which will last for another 24 hours and change.

Obviously, the Mets were missing a LOT of bats: David Wright, Wilmer Flores, and Neil Walker among others. Travis d'Arnaud and Michael Conforto were apparently eligible but did not get off the bench.

Better luck this year!

Reactions: Zak57 and redking
Id rather have a best of 3 than a one and done if you lose a single wild card game.
Yes, but then you have to play a best of five against a well-rested team. It can be done of course, but it's harder than before. That's the price for expanding the playoffs to six teams, something the Phillies are rejoicing about.

While we wait for RU/Nebraska and Mets/Padres, I thought I'd revisit the Mets last playoff game. October 5, 2016. Giants 3, Mets 0. Conor F'n Gillaspie with the bomb in the ninth off Familia.

Looking back at that team (at least at their wild card lineup), it's hard to imagine how that team won 87 games. Yes, they had solid starting pitching and an excellent endgame pen. But that lineup that night against MadBum, och!

1 through 4 was solid enough: Reyes, Cabrera, Cespedes, Granderson. Then it got ugly.

Batting fifth : TJ Rivera! Yes he was a nice bench player, but seriously? In a win-or-go-home?

Batting sixth: Jay Bruce! A trade deadline acquisition who did nothing. The more things change...

Batting seventh: Rene Rivera! When you are facing a must-win, you can never have enough Riveras.

Batting eighth: James Loney! He was actually pretty good that year replacing the injured Lucas Duda. But against a dominant lefty like Bumgarner he was overmatched. So it is understandable that late in the game, he was pinch-hit for. By none other than... Eric Campbell! Yes, that Eric Campbell. The very symbol of Met offensive futility during that era.

Batting ninth: Noah Syndergaard! This was back when he was Thor. Not a bad hitter, but with the game on the line they had to hit for the pitcher. And they did so with... Ty Kelly! Who has the honor of getting the Mets last postseason hit, an honor which will last for another 24 hours and change.

Obviously, the Mets were missing a LOT of bats: David Wright, Wilmer Flores, and Neil Walker among others. Travis d'Arnaud and Michael Conforto were apparently eligible but did not get off the bench.

Better luck this year!
I was at that game. Didn’t feel too confident with Bumgarner pitching.

Now who can argue with THIS?

Although that is not entirely true. Only that subset of God's children who were in the Mets organization on August 31 have a chance.

Anyway, to me that sounds like a polite "NO"

Last edited:

Better luck this year!
My younger son and I were at that game, Thor was amazing, both pitchers were. I forget what move was made by the Mets but Bumgarner was called back to the dugout for a pinch hitter, then after walking someone I believe he was allowed to hit and pitch the ninth. We were upper deck down the LF line with a TV monitor over us, and I just new it was over. The Mets couldn't touch him.

Getting ready for a 2 TV setup. Rutgers & Mets hoping for a great night of sports
FealNcBXgA4x10B

Last edited:
Marte can grip things though didn’t work out with OFs today. Should Mets beat Padres - looking good for Marte to play in NLDS. And I hate Mitch Keller !
First pitch to the first Pittsburgh Pirates hitter in 2023 should be a 101 right into the plumber’s crack.

Yes, but then you have to play a best of five against a well-rested team. It can be done of course, but it's harder than before.
If you have 3 good starters, but not that one Cy Young contending type, you might not make it past the single WC game to worry about a next round best of 5.

MLB is a 162 game season made up various length series’. A single WC game wasn’t consistent with this.
That's the price for expanding the playoffs to six teams, something the Phillies are rejoicing about.
They should have left it at 1 WC. That accounted for a second place team (say this years Mets) being in the unlucky division.

But no, keep adding more and more teams to allow more fans to hope for their team to get hot. Why stop at 3 WC? Participation trophy for everyone.

If you have 3 good starters, but not that one Cy Young contending type, you might not make it past the single WC game to worry about a next round best of 5.

MLB is a 162 game season made up various length series’. A single WC game wasn’t consistent with this.

They should have left it at 1 WC. That accounted for a second place team (say this years Mets) being in the unlucky division.

But no, keep adding more and more teams to allow more fans to hope for their team to get hot. Why stop at 3 WC? Participation trophy for everyone.
The problem with the 1 WC set-up is that it gave no incentive to be a division winner rather than the wild-card.

I agree with the article, with the minor nitpick that Dom may simply be non-tendered rather than traded.

Vientos has no position with the Mets. Maybe righty DH? Although I suspect that the Mets envision using Alvarez in that role for a few dozen games a year, when he's not catching.

IMO if the Mets were planning to keep Mauricio, they would have tried to convert him to CF long ago. (I say "tried to" because these things don't always work. See Smith, Dom.) That they kept him at SS. which is the premium position, strongly suggests that he is trade bait.

Which raises the question of why management was so adamant about keeping these guys at the deadline. Could be that they just didn't like the offers they got.

Why Marte if he’s not 100%? Marte and Ruf are two empty right handed hitters if marte isn’t healthy and Ruf is Ruf

Marte could be base runner or defensive replacement unless he has healed more than they are letting on.

Marte could be base runner or defensive replacement unless he has healed more than they are letting on.
I'm guessing he can swing a bat - otherwise I don't think they would have added him. Will that translate into hits - one can only hope.

Why Marte if he’s not 100%? Marte and Ruf are two empty right handed hitters if marte isn’t healthy and Ruf is Ruf
Marte apparently was able to grip things yesterday per reports. Guess they’re optimistic he ll be able to swing / throw etc

I do not understand not including Carrasco or Walker…what do they do if Bassitt (or any starter) gets torched or hurt? Including Ruf is a joke when you have Alvarez.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
One concern I have about roster is why no Carrasco and/ or Walker ? I don’t see a long reliever and thus if bullpen needs to be used in rout or extra innings etc - there is no one to stretch over several innings. Why Megill over Carrasco or Walker?

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I do not understand not including Carrasco or Walker…what do they do if Bassitt (or any starter) gets torched or hurt? Including Ruf is a joke when you have Alvarez.
One concern I have about roster is why no Carrasco and/ or Walker ? I don’t see a long reliever and thus if bullpen needs to be used in rout or extra innings etc - there is no one to stretch over several innings. Why Megill over Carrasco or Walker?
Really bizarre considering we’ve struggled against Carrasco this year and have had Bassitt’s number.

A few possible reasons - not saying any of them are valid...
  1. Both threw a lot of pitches on Tuesday. Using them tonight or tomorrow would be on short rest.
  2. May need one of them to start Game 1.
  3. Peterson is rested and is stretched out. He could go long.
  4. Neither Carrasco nor Walker is used to relieving. The preparation is very different. No certainty that either will flourish in the role.
  5. As it is, you've got a nine man pen to cover you for three games. Should be enough, in terms of quantity anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT