OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s say you go

G1: Scherzer
G2: Bassitt
G3: DeGrom

Who gets G1, G2, G3 against LA?
T. Walker will likely pitch G1 if series goes 3 regardless of the order (instead of Carrasco)
G2 Max
G3 deGrom
G4 Bassitt
G5 T. Walker (unless he got shelled in G1, then Carrasco)

Reactions: The RUT
T. Walker will likely pitch G1 if series goes 3 regardless of the order (instead of Carrasco)
G2 Max
G3 deGrom
G4 Bassitt
G5 T. Walker (unless he got shelled in G1, then Carrasco)
Okay so same line of thinking for SD.

Darvish, Snell, Musgrove for WC.

G1 Clevinger
G2 Darvish
G3 Snell
G4 Musgrove
G5 Darvish on short rest

Reactions: FrankZ
I think Segrom CAv
Never mind that. What about leaving Paul Blair unprotected in the First Year Draft of 1962! I have still never gotten over that one.
I never knew that about Paul Blair ! The Mets left him unprotected?

Another little tidbit: How about the Mets drafting Steve Chilcutt with the first pick of the Amateur Draft in 1966 (I believe) instead of Reggie Jackson. Ugh !

Reactions: colbert17
I think Segrom CAv

Another little tidbit: How about the Mets drafting Steve Chilcutt with the first pick of the Amateur Draft in 1966 (I believe) instead of Reggie Jackson. Ugh !
Take a look at some of those drafts and it really is a crap shoot. My HS team mate was drafted in the 3rd round and never made it past Single A. Mark Fidrych went in round 10 and Bob Welch in round 14 that same year.
Of course one of the most famous draft stories is Mike Piazza who was drafted in the 62nd round.

Last edited:
Didn't see this until now but the Pods put Clevinger on the IL with what is just being called "illness". Not COVID related.
He wasn't going to pitch except in an emergency this series anyway but if they should advance it would have an impact.
Cool stat - Darvish has gone at least 6 innings in 28 out of his 30 starts this year and one of the others was 5 2/3. He's had 14 starts of 7+ innings.

Mets played Astros and Yankees 4 times each
Braves played Astros 3 times and didn’t play Yankees.
While it doesn’t change the disaster in Atlanta, the truth is they finished with the same record and played a tougher schedule. All the houston games were home games for the Braves too.

I think Segrom CAv

Blair was 18 at the time. Who knew?

That's because the real teams that didn't choke are on a bye
Why are you still in here, troll. The list gets longer, lol. Going for 13 straight chokes, speaking of chokes? Maybe it's because the team that finished 2 games behind the JV had the luck of both The Rays and Blue Jays crapping the bed after the All Star break as bad as The Varsity. Your confident in the shit show turning it around after how they played the last 3 months rather than how the Mets played 3 days? Who's your closer?Chapman??? Your collection of 220-240 hitters isn't instilling much fear and can't wait to watch your melt down on par with anything we can dish out. Now please go back to The Dead Zone so you can convince more of your Yankees fans to come over to "your side", lmfao. A legend in your own mind. Comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuBird
Why are you still in here, troll. The list gets longer, lol. Going for 13 straight chokes, speaking of chokes? Maybe it's because the team that finished 2 games behind the JV had the luck of both The Rays and Blue Jays crapping the bed after the All Star break as bad as The Varsity. Your confident in the shit show turning it around after how they played the last 3 months rather than how the Mets played 3 days? Who's your closer?Chapman??? Your collection of 220-240 hitters isn't instilling much fear and can't wait to watch your melt down on par with anything we can dish out. Now please go back to The Dead Zone so you can convince more of your Yankees fans to come over to "your side", lmfao. A legend in your own mind. Comical.
Comical that you open your mouth saying the Yankees are the JV league but the Mets had the easier path to winning a division with just the 22nd ranked schedule for this season vs the Yankees 11th. Yet your team has to play the play in games lol. You are always full of hot air but void of facts.

Comical that you open your mouth saying the Yankees are the JV league but the Mets had the easier path to winning a division with just the 22nd ranked schedule for this season vs the Yankees 11th. Yet your team has to play the play in games lol. You are always full of hot air but void of facts.
News flash the Yankees are not good.

Shrewd hand played by McNeil today. He realized that there was a far better chance that if he had played that he could lose a couple of points off his b.a than there was of Freeman gaining enough points to catch him. Even an 0-2 could have cost him. Congrats J-Mac. So unless something changed with Alonso we have the ML leader in b.a. and NL leader in ribby's
Major league leader in RBI's. Tied with Judge.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
Let's try this again-
Yankees went 4-7 against 100 win teams.
Mets went 16-19 against 100 win teams.

Easier path, my ass- had to play more elite teams by far and had Atl in their own division.

At one point- Yankees were better than every other team in MLB by at least 7 games. End up -12 LAD, -7 Hou, -2 Atl, -2 Mets

Think about that damn Choke job.

Let's try this again-
Yankees went 4-7 against 100 win teams.
Mets went 16-19 against 100 win teams.

Easier path, my ass- had to play more elite teams by far and had Atl in their own division.

At one point- Yankees were better than every other team in MLB by at least 7 games. End up -12 LAD, -7 Hou, -2 Atl, -2 Mets

Think about that damn Choke job.
Lol yanks were hitting so many walk offs early in the year and didn’t have to deal with injuries.

The second they started dealing with injuries like every other team all of a sudden they aren’t some dominant force.

They won’t make it out of the divisional round. I grew up a Yankee fan, absolutely exhausting. Every year supposed to win the WS and don’t even sniff it.

Being a padres fan has been much more fun

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Lol yanks were hitting so many walk offs early in the year and didn’t have to deal with injuries.

The second they started dealing with injuries like every other team all of a sudden they aren’t some dominant force.

They won’t make it out of the divisional round. I grew up a Yankee fan, absolutely exhausting. Every year supposed to win the WS and don’t even sniff it.

Being a padres fan has been much more fun
How have the Padres performed in W-L since the big trades were completed, and how have the Big 3 (or was it 4?) performed for the Padres. I forget their names and don't have time to look it up. But all in all, do you think it was money well spent--that's not a "duh" question--do you think they peformed, overperformed or underperformed to expectations?

How have the Padres performed in W-L since the big trades were completed, and how have the Big 3 (or was it 4?) performed for the Padres. I forget their names and don't have time to look it up. But all in all, do you think it was money well spent--that's not a "duh" question--do you think they peformed, overperformed or underperformed to expectations?
29-27 record after the trade went down.

Any Padre fan that’s being honest will tell you they have underperformed. But these are the pieces we got at the deadline:

Juan Soto
Josh Bell
Josh Hader
Brandon Drury

Drury has been the only guy that stepped in and instantly had an impact, hit a grand slam on the first pitch he saw as a Padre. He got hit in the head with a pitch vs LA and saw some time on the IL.

Soto hit a career low slump. Every Padre fan thought “of course.” We gave up A LOT for him, but he’s shown glimpse recently. Had a nice series in the desert and if he gets hot this off-season I truly do think this team is unbeatable in a playoff series. He has provided a lot of protection for Manny though. Biggest complaint is he’s been looking to walk too much because he’s so used to getting pitched around at Washington. All in all, knowing what we know now, I still give up the farm for him if I had to do it over again.

Josh Bell has been a major disappointment. I liked him defensively, but now the bat just isn’t there. I don’t know what’s up with him. Part of me thinks maybe he was just having a great year because no one gave a fvck vs the Nats. Now he’s a guy that pitchers are focused and grinding to get out and he’s folding. He’s on the bench now and you’ll see him occasionally play first or come in as a DH/pinch hitter.

Josh Hader. Baby baby baby he’s back. Credit to the padres pitching staff, but this dude was absolutely broken when he came to us and we fixed him. The dude is absolutely dialed in and throwing heat. He looks unbelievable, right up there with Diaz honestly. It’s so good to see and completely changes late games for us.

Now the biggest change that you’ll notice is no more Grisham in CF unless we go full defense. A nice surprise has been Jose Azocar (we call him sugar). He’s got speed, he gets on base, he can run down balls, and he’s got youth and energy.

The real danger the Mets have to worry about is ever since a players only meeting that took place after an 0-4 L vs Arizona, “the others” have stepped up.

Guys like Meyers, Kim, Cronenworth, and Nola are starting to slug and hit the ball. When that happens this lineup becomes very very very deep.

Will it continue to happen this weekend, who knows? But I’m excited for the series and I think it’ll be a fun one

Any Padre fan that’s being honest will tell you they have underperformed. But these are the pieces we got at the deadline:

Juan Soto
Josh Bell
Josh Hader
Brandon Drury

Drury has been the only guy that stepped in and instantly had an impact, hit a grand slam on the first pitch he saw as a Padre. He got hit in the head with a pitch vs LA and saw some time on the IL.

Soto hit a career low slump. Every Padre fan thought “of course.” We gave up A LOT for him, but he’s shown glimpse recently. Had a nice series in the desert and if he gets hot this off-season I truly do think this team is unbeatable in a playoff series. He has provided a lot of protection for Manny though. Biggest complaint is he’s been looking to walk too much because he’s so used to getting pitched around at Washington. All in all, knowing what we know now, I still give up the farm for him if I had to do it over again.

Josh Bell has been a major disappointment. I liked him defensively, but now the bat just isn’t there. I don’t know what’s up with him. Part of me thinks maybe he was just having a great year because no one gave a fvck vs the Nats. Now he’s a guy that pitchers are focused and grinding to get out and he’s folding. He’s on the bench now and you’ll see him occasionally play first or come in as a DH/pinch hitter.

Josh Hader. Baby baby baby he’s back. Credit to the padres pitching staff, but this dude was absolutely broken when he came to us and we fixed him. The dude is absolutely dialed in and throwing heat. He looks unbelievable, right up there with Diaz honestly. It’s so good to see and completely changes late games for us.

Now the biggest change that you’ll notice is no more Grisham in CF unless we go full defense. A nice surprise has been Jose Azocar (we call him sugar). He’s got speed, he gets on base, he can run down balls, and he’s got youth and energy.

The real danger the Mets have to worry about is ever since a players only meeting that took place after an 0-4 L vs Arizona, “the others” have stepped up.

Guys like Meyers, Kim, Cronenworth, and Nola are starting to slug and hit the ball. When that happens this lineup becomes very very very deep.

Will it continue to happen this weekend, who knows? But I’m excited for the series and I think it’ll be a fun one
You should not have mentioned Drury. That may trigger some Mets fans. 🤣 I think it's a West Coast thing. Add Drury to the list of Wilmer Flores, Justin Turner, JD Davis (and probably leaving someone off the list) that have gone West and thrived. It happens.

Who took Hosmer's place and how is he doing?

I'd wish you luck, but can't do that. Should be a fun series, but frankly, considering the record this season, would rather be facing the Phils.

You should not have mentioned Drury. That may trigger some Mets fans. 🤣 I think it's a West Coast thing. Add Drury to the list of Wilmer Flores, Justin Turner, JD Davis (and probably leaving someone off the list) that have gone West and thrived. It happens.

Who took Hosmer's place and how is he doing?

I'd wish you luck, but can't do that. Should be a fun series, but frankly, considering the record this season, would rather be facing the Phils.
Lol I actually watched a YouTube video on Drury the other day.

Early in his career his swing looked like it does now, at some point he changed his approach at the plate and it threw everything off for him. Once he went to Cincy he went back to his old ways of swinging and that’s where he’s at now. That’s why he’s seeing success and he’s now one of the best breaking ball hitters in MLB.

Hosmers spot has been filled by committee depending on the lineup. Wil Meyers, Drury, and Bell have all played 1st.

1 of those 3 plays 1st. The 2nd is our DH and the 3rd is on the bench.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Juan Soto
Josh Bell
Josh Hader
Brandon Drury

I could see you guys going on a run. There's always that team each year. The pieces are definitely there.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I could see you guys going on a run. There's always that team each year. The pieces are definitely there.
There are some that have made the argument that this team was built for the playoffs, but we will see.

Defense hasn’t been an issue, pitching hasn’t been an issue (in general), and getting guys on base has never been an issue.

Our struggles have been lack of slug (which I guess you attribute to slumps), and the inability to hit with runners in scoring position.

Darvish, Snell, Musgrove, and the bullpen can do gods work and hold you guys to 1 or 2 runs and it won’t matter if we can’t get runners in.

If the bats a working then look out. The good thing for us is we’ve been a significantly better team offensively on the road vs at home. It’s nice to open the playoffs with potentially 4 or 5 straight road games.

Here is the thing with SD- complete different team without Tatis

If you look at actual offensive production this year- as well as the last 30 days...SD has the advantage at 3B
Cahna and Profar are similar in LF- Nimmo has CF locked down and if we have Marte in RF- we would actually have a huge advantage in RF. But- Marte may not be available and Soto can turn it on any time.
Have the advantage at C as well but current Nido and maybe having Alveraz up can close that gap
1B/2B/SS isn't really that close. Cronenworth is a good player but he isn't McNeil
SP is going to be tough on both sides And we have the 8/9 guys.

Reactions: redking and The RUT
Here is the thing with SD- complete different team without Tatis

If you look at actual offensive production this year- as well as the last 30 days...SD has the advantage at 3B
Cahna and Profar are similar in LF- Nimmo has CF locked down and if we have Marte in RF- we would actually have a huge advantage in RF. But- Marte may not be available and Soto can turn it on any time.
Have the advantage at C as well but current Nido and maybe having Alveraz up can close that gap
1B/2B/SS isn't really that close. Cronenworth is a good player but he isn't McNeil
SP is going to be tough on both sides And we have the 8/9 guys.
Agreed - also Nando brings a different energy to the team. A fun and loose energy that lifts up the guys around him.

I am sad

Defining stat for each playoff team from MLB App:

(4) Mets

All season, the Mets have been able to rely on Edwin Díaz in the ninth inning, and sometimes even in the eighth instead. He struck out 50.2% of batters he’s faced this year -- that’s 118 of 235. He’s one of just three pitchers to finish a season striking out more than half the batters he faced, minimum 40 innings pitched. He joins 2014 Aroldis Chapman (52.5%) and 2012 Craig Kimbrel (50.2%). The Mets were an MLB-best 89-0 when leading entering the ninth inning this season, the best such record in a single year in franchise history.

(5) Padres

Yu Darvish seems to have been gearing up for the postseason in September as the Padres worked toward a playoff spot. If that was the trial run, the playoffs will be quite something to behold. In six September starts, Darvish allowed just a .168 opponent batting average, 0.79 WHIP and a 1.85 ERA. Each of those is his second-lowest in a calendar month of his career (minimum four starts). The batting average and WHIP trail only September 2012 when he allowed a .160 opponent’s average and a 0.74 WHIP to wrap up the first season of his MLB career. And the ERA trails only August 2020 when he had a 1.09 ERA.

And two that may be of interest for those in this thread:

(1) Dodgers

For the fifth straight season, the Dodgers led the NL in runs scored (most) and runs allowed (fewest). This five-season streak passed the 1936-39 Yankees for the most consecutive seasons by a team leading its league in both categories. But the Dodgers didn't just lead in NL both categories -- they led MLB. They are just the seventh team since 1900 to lead MLB in both, joining the 2001 Mariners, 1944 Cardinals, 1939 Yankees, 1927 Yankees, 1906 Cubs and 1902 Pirates.

(2) Braves

We haven't seen a team repeat as World Series champs since the 1998-2000 Yankees. Could the Braves snap that drought? They won 101 games, tied with the 1971 Orioles for the fifth most by a defending World Series champion in the Divisional Era (since 1969). The only teams with more wins are the 2021 Dodgers (106), 2018 Astros (103), 1990 A’s (103) and 1976 Reds (102). Those Reds, of course, repeated as champs, while the A’s made it back to the Fall Classic, but did not win.

101-61 is pretty damn good. Are we still considered co-champs?

Anyway, I know many of us are disappointed the Mets got the wild card. But other teams have done it before, and chances are the pennant goes through LA. Does it really matter whether it’s the division round or finals? You still need to beat them.

On another note, If the Phillies and Mets win, would the Mets as the higher seed get Atlanta?

Anyway, I know many of us are disappointed the Mets got the wild card. But other teams have done it before, and chances are the pennant goes through LA. Does it really matter whether it’s the division round or finals? You still need to beat them.

On another note, If the Phillies and Mets win, would the Mets as the higher seed get Atlanta?
No, it’s a bracket and they don’t reseed

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Winning as a wildcard is harder now because the rules were changed just this last winter to require wild cards to play a best of three series, and then play a well-rested opponent in a best of five series. In the past, all that was necessary was to win a single wild card game and then play one of the division champions. Before then, there wasn't even a wild card game; the wild card played a division champ right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT