ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

One thing brought up by no one so far:The Series is the last time the old baseball will ever be played.Next year's rules are the most changes the game has seen since the 1900 season.
I'm not liking the limit next year on throwing over to 1st.

Listen to the audio from the Spanish language broadcast, NSFW:

a5u6ldpveow91.jpg

Reactions: LBusDoor90
It's funny because I thought he leaned his shoulder into the pitch before this. Then once he did it again, I was sure I hadn't imagined it.
In the postgame interview of Realmuto on the MLB Network, he said he told the ump he was leaning (or at least not making a genuine effort to not get hit) on that previous pitch.
Did Dave Hollins ever get flagged in 1993? Did it more than once.

Among the catchers hitting extra inning home runs in the Series was one Tim McCarver in 1964,a member of the 1980 team.
Yes, McCarver hit a three-run homer in the top of the 10thof the fifth game to boost the Cardinals to a 5-2 win over the Yankees after the Yankees had tied the game with two runs off Bob Gibson in the bottom of the ninth. The game might well have ended with a Yankees win the ninth were it not for a marvelous fielding play by Gibson. The win gave the Cardinals a 3-2 series lead with the series headed back to St. Louis, where the Cardinals won seven games.

Look I'm obviously biased but I don't think there is a MLB team easier to hate than the Astros.

last night's lean into the pitch, tonight they announce a player was using an illegal bat, Baker challenges a play at 2b that never gets challenged.

In addition to all these little cheating things, they are a legit very good team, no need to do all that.

When Wheeler had a 2-0 count on Bregman with a runner aboard, I said to my wife, "I'm worried!" Bregman then hit a no-doubt-about-it homer on the next pitch. My wife is now very impressed with me!

Reactions: Terry_2426
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I remember the 1983 World Series. The Phillies won the first game at Baltimore -- and then the Orioles won four straight including all three games in Philadelphia. Then, as now, the Phillies' opponent had better starting pitching.

In 1965,Drysdale and Koufax were hit hard by the Twins to put the Dodgers in a 2-0 hole.
Then,they went home and destroyed Minn. in 3 straight.
The question here is will Thomson pitch both Nola and Wheeler on 3 days rest in Games 4 and 5?

In 1965,Drysdale and Koufax were hit hard by the Twins to put the Dodgers in a 2-0 hole.
Then,they went home and destroyed Minn. in 3 straight.
The question here is will Thomson pitch both Nola and Wheeler on 3 days rest in Games 4 and 5?
My instinct from watching Thomson is that he will not pitch Nola on three games rest in game 4 even if the Phillies lose game 3. Yes, starters used to do that all the time, and in fact Koufax pitched a complete game shutout in game 7 of the 1965 series on two days rest. BTW, Wilkipedia reminds me that complete games were pitched by the winning team in all seven games of the 1965 series. That was then and this is now. It may be relevant that Koufax retired after the following season (after winning another Cy Young Award) at the ripe old age of 30. Drysdale's career ended at age 32.

Last edited:
To be honest from the forecast, I'm not sure how they play through this one. Wouldn't be surprised if they postpone and skip the travel day scheduled for Thursday.

Also in other news:

Rob Thomso is quoted in today's Inquirer as saying that the Lords of Baseball want to play the game only if there is a large enough window to play the whole game. In other words, they don't want a repetition of 2008, when the fifth game was played over two nights (with an off day in-between.) (I was at both nights; it was an odd way to attend a game.)

They have delayed the decision to play the game once already. It's not looking good.

So they had a second meeting about playing the game. Same result as last time. They will get back to us at 6:30.
This has become beyond stupid. There is no doubt it going to rain by 8pm and continue raining into tomorrow morning with rain steady at times and no window of a sustained dry slot.

Now Thomson must go with Suarez tomorrow,then follow with Nola and Wheeler to try to win it here.

Could there be another Sunday Night series decider in Houston as there was in 1980?

Now Thomson must go with Suarez tomorrow,then follow with Nola and Wheeler to try to win it here.

Could there be another Sunday Night series decider in Houston as there was in 1980?
No, the rest day is eliminated. Games in Houston aren't moved. Game 7 will be Saturday.

Wow. The just said different on a local channel in Philadelphia at the stadium. MLB Channel said the same at 4pm.
The Lords of Baseball say that everything is being pushed back a day, and so the travel day remains. https://www.mlb.com/news/world-series-game-3-postponed-weather

This is good for the Phillies, who can now pitch Suarez tomorrow, Nola on Thursday and Wheeler on Friday. But who the heck is going to pitch if this goes to a game six or seven? I suspect that if the Philllies win game 3, they will make game 4 a bullpen game. But if they lose, they have to use Nola and Wheeler in games 4 and 5 to try to stay alive.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
The Lords of Baseball say that everything is being pushed back a day, and so the travel day remains. https://www.mlb.com/news/world-series-game-3-postponed-weather

This is good for the Phillies, who can now pitch Suarez tomorrow, Nola on Thursday and Wheeler on Friday. But who the heck is going to pitch if this goes to a game six or seven? I suspect that if the Philllies win game 3, they will make game 4 a bullpen game. But if they lose, they have to use Nola and Wheeler in games 4 and 5 to try to stay alive.
The Thursday night game sets up a very unique situation for both cities fanbase. The Eagles will play the Houston Texans at the same time on Thursday.

Per Salisbury on Twitter:
Ranger 3
Nola 4
Syndergaard or Gibson 5
Wheeler 6
Ranger 7

I don’t think Thomson wants to put all his eggs in the “win it in 5” basket. This is a good setup for a 6 or 7 game series.

Per Salisbury on Twitter:
Ranger 3
Nola 4
Syndergaard or Gibson 5
Wheeler 6
Ranger 7

I don’t think Thomson wants to put all his eggs in the “win it in 5” basket. This is a good setup for a 6 or 7 game series.
If the Phillies are down 3-1 going into game 5, Wheeler will, I would guess, be the starter. That might even be true if the series is tied 2-2; no one wants to be in the situation of having to sweep the last two games on the road -- although it has been done, as with the Chicago Cubs in 2016 winning the last two games in Cleveland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT