ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Lacrosse is already in the LA games

Did you watch the surfing in Tahiti?
I know there was a US gold for a woman
A lot of spectacular pics came from there
From what I read it was a dangerous location

"In the years to come – like the Summer Olympics, LA 2028 – Teahupo’o will be tough to top.

“It’s definitely dangerous,” John John Florence told SURFER. “It was scary out there. There’s so much west in the swell, and when it’s like that, there’s so much power and energy in it. I’d imagine it’s one of the scariest sports in the whole Olympics…especially in these conditions.”

“People don’t realize just how dangerous it is,” Jack Robinson told SURFER after his Round Three heat. “It’s probably one of the most dangerous places in the world [Teahupo'o, Tahiti]. Honestly, I’m happy to make it out alive. I got dragged over the bottom, then almost had a two-wave hold-down. I had barely a second between waves. Just enough time for a quick breath before going back down. I was reminded of so many guys who’ve had bad wipeouts.”

Did you watch the surfing in Tahiti?
I know there was a US gold for a woman
A lot of spectacular pics came from there
From what I read it was a dangerous location

"In the years to come – like the Summer Olympics, LA 2028 – Teahupo’o will be tough to top.

“It’s definitely dangerous,” John John Florence told SURFER. “It was scary out there. There’s so much west in the swell, and when it’s like that, there’s so much power and energy in it. I’d imagine it’s one of the scariest sports in the whole Olympics…especially in these conditions.”

“People don’t realize just how dangerous it is,” Jack Robinson told SURFER after his Round Three heat. “It’s probably one of the most dangerous places in the world [Teahupo'o, Tahiti]. Honestly, I’m happy to make it out alive. I got dragged over the bottom, then almost had a two-wave hold-down. I had barely a second between waves. Just enough time for a quick breath before going back down. I was reminded of so many guys who’ve had bad wipeouts.”

I did. The women are very, very lucky a good size swell didn't show up. That wave at size is deadly. The first pro surfers that went there in the 90's wouldn't even surf it. They didn't believe it was surfable. Water just draws off the reef at an incredible speed and the water level completely changes. This pic illustrates it well.

iu

I did. The women are very, very lucky a good size swell didn't show up. That wave at size is deadly. The first pro surfers that went there in the 90's wouldn't even surf it. They didn't believe it was surfable. Water just draws off the reef at an incredible speed and the water level completely changes.

Why would they even pick a place that dangerous?
I thought Portugal was the dangerous place and that's even closer to France

Last edited:
France played well in the loss and we played pretty well, apart from TOs. We're simply not head and shoulders above the rest of the world anymore and that's a huge compliment to American basketball and the NBA inspiring better hoops around the world. Gold is nice.

Why would they even pick a place that dangerous.
I thought Portugal was the dangerous place and that's even closer to France

Tahiti is in French Polynesia so I am sure that's why. It's also an incredible wave. The men hold a World Surfing League event there every year. It's arguably the most exciting wave in the world now. I was really hoping for a monster swell to see what they would have done. By "Chopes" standards, that was very tame, and it still was dangerous. We are in prime season for South swells which is what really turn that place on. It very well could have been HUGE.

I can tell you this. Not sure what they would have done with the women but if the swell was what it could be, Gabriel Medina would not have won the gold medal.

Reactions: ashokan
Tahiti is in French Polynesia so I am sure that's why. It's also an incredible wave. The men hold a World Surfing League event there every year. It's arguably the most exciting wave in the world now. I was really hoping for a monster swell to see what they would have done. By "Chopes" standards, that was very tame, and it still was dangerous. We are in prime season for South swells which is what really turn that place on. It very well could have been HUGE.

I can tell you this. Not sure what they would have done with the women but if the swell was what it could be, Gabriel Medina would not have won the gold medal.

Ah Polynesia makes sense to me now.
A few surfing photos went viral but I saw no video om Peacock.
When Olympics come to LA where will they have surfing ?

Here is another shot of Chopes where you can get a better idea of how dangerous this wave is. The size of the maxes out at this size and the bigger the swell gets the thicker the lip gets being even more powerful. It's one of the wonders of the world.

iu

Ah Polynesia makes sense to me now.
A few surfing photos went viral but I saw no video om Peacock.
When Olympics come to LA where will they have surfing ?
That's still being discussed. Again, south swells come this time of year which will put Malibu, Newport Beach, Trestles, Hunting Beach all in play if you want to keep it local. Hawaii would be an option but Hawaiians may not love that idea. The other option is holding it in a wave pool like the one in Leemore, Ca. or building a new one in LA.

Reactions: ashokan
France played well in the loss and we played pretty well, apart from TOs. We're simply not head and shoulders above the rest of the world anymore and that's a huge compliment to American basketball and the NBA inspiring better hoops around the world. Gold is nice.
As long as Curry has his shot going , the USA is better than the rest.
This USA team deserves praise for getting the Gold and every player played their heart out when they were in the game to show the USA was the best men's basketball team playing in these Olympic Games

LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Jayson Tatum, Kawhi Leonard*, Devin Booker, Jrue Holiday, Anthony Davis, Anthony Edwards, Bam Adebayo, Derrick White and Tyrese Haliburton.
All of you represented the USA well and proved to be the best Thank you

As long as Curry has his shot going , the USA is better than the rest.
This USA team deserves praise for getting the Gold and every player played their heart out when they were in the game to show the USA was the best men's basketball team playing in these Olympic Games

LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Jayson Tatum, Kawhi Leonard*, Devin Booker, Jrue Holiday, Anthony Davis, Anthony Edwards, Bam Adebayo, Derrick White and Tyrese Haliburton.
All of you represented the USA well and proved to be the best Thank you
The world is getting better but this game wasn't really close. We made so many senseless turnovers that cutting down even half of those and this game is a rout.

I used to like the boxing too. Some amazing boxers medaled before going pro.
While I really like things like boxing and gymnastics they will never be my favorites because the arbitrary and downright inconsistent or biased judging. Too often those sports and all the others where judges scoring is involved become screw jobs.

Wow, audio circulating of Lebron calling Kerr a "f'ing idiot" after the semi final game for not playing Tatum. Doesn't seem he's all that liked if in fact it's him.

Wow, audio circulating of Lebron calling Kerr a "f'ing idiot" after the semi final game for not playing Tatum. Doesn't seem he's all that liked if in fact it's him.
That audio supposedly is a fake :
>This video is an AI creation. The account is a parody journalist who's publication is a fake website for a now-ceased publication. The account's profile picture is also AI-generated<

Okay for GOLD tomorrow:

USA vs France (W Hoops)
USA v Italy (W VB)
Women’s Wrestkibg 76KG Blades v Japan

*** redemption China does not have any teams involved in gold medal matches tomorrow nor any individuals in wrestling gold medal matches.

These also finals in cycling, one weightlifting class, and I think two men’s wrestling classes, along with the modern pentathlon and the women’s marathon. I think we should be able to take the gold medal lead from China. At the very least tie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT