ADVERTISEMENT

OT: oh oh oh Ozempic !

I used to be able to outwork excessive eating but age tends to end that ability.

Drink excess beer, eat all day with a great diner meal at 2 or 3 am. But run 30 miles a week at a pretty good clip and all was good. Add in 5 days at the gym and never gained a pound.
Seems like you are doing what you can to overcome putting on the pounds.
But going by this (I found in an article about another issue)
"According to analysis from researchers at Virginia Tech and Rutgers University, the United States has one of the lowest walking rates in the world, with only 12% of all trips taken being walked. It’s an eye-opening statistic — especially when you factor in that 30% of all trips taken in the U.S. are under 1.6 miles,".
Most people in the USA might not be doing enough to keep their weight down and taking the easy routes rather than healthy ones that take more effort.

My wife has never not eaten right or not exercised but at the age of 22 she was struck with an immune system disease. She has been on many drugs since some of which have had severe side effects. While side effects are bad most likely her alternative was death so you do what you have to do.

I do have a request it would be really interesting if both the pro pharma people and the anti pharma people could tell us their career or academic background for transparency.

I am pro pharma and my background is in tax and finance. My wife is an exercise physiologist.
I am a patent attorney. Have worked on a variety of projects for pharma companies. Sometimes, I have been able to see the granular information that does not make it on the lable or widely publicized. While I may appear to be anti pharma, I am neutral but wary on the drug approval process, and what I have perceived to be a lag in the information that is shared with family doctors on adverse effects. Also, many doctors are lazy or simply want to try out the shiny new pharma toy they saw at a conference or pushed by a pharma rep. As an example, years ago when experiencing back pain, I told my doctor that I did not want a Cox-2 inhibitor, Celebrex because of the growing body of dara that this class of drugs caused heart problems. He prescribed Vioxx, another Cox-2 inhibitor. 🤦‍♀️

There is a myriad of useful drugs, and many instances, the side effects are balanced versus the benefits. In many cases, the benefits win and this is a great outcome for the patient.
I eat what I like and just try to keep my calories at a level that is lower than my current weight needs if I want to lose weight and equal to the calories I need if I am trying to maintain.

Right now, for the next 90 days I need to be below my daily need. It has been a rough holiday and birthday period.

When I am heavy, I did not get there because I ate too much fruit.
There is a growing movement of MDa promoting high satiety foods. They are often high in protein content, and people feel full after eating a low quantity of calories.

The worst foods are those rich in highly processed carbs and saturated fat. The combination drives many people to overconsume calories. Food companies know this. It's good for business.

When I decide to cut weight, we up my protein macros. Add in some short fasts of 48 hours and the weight comes right off.

It sounds simple, but it took years of unlearning the misinformation that had been fed to people.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
This X1000. Any doctor whose fist line is a drug like this instead of diet and exercise should lose their license.

Processed foods and seed oils and sugar are the culprits. Eat whole foods, watch saturated fat intake, and the weight will come off.
I lost ~30 lbs. over the last 5 years and limit carbs. Diabetes does not go away. eat a couple of cookies and sugar goes over 200 . My A1C though is 5.7 - 6.2 though overall. I get lots of exercise with dog walking though which really helps.

We also do portion control . We never leave a restaurant with a clean plate we always bring home ~ half our dinner. My fat friends always clean their plate.

I lost ~30 lbs. over the last 5 years and limit carbs. Diabetes does not go away. eat a couple of cookies and sugar goes over 200 . My A1C though is 5.7 - 6.2 though overall. I get lots of exercise with dog walking though which really helps.

We also do portion control . We never leave a restaurant with a clean plate we always bring home ~ half our dinner. My fat friends always clean their plate.
I was nearly in the same boat. 99.9% of the time, I avoid cookies and sugar. Had a minor slip up when our vendors sent a bunch of cookies and sweets to the office. A few days of eating crap did not make me fall off the wagon. To the contrary, felt like crap after eating crap, and it was a good reminder to stay on the path.

It's tough for people who are genetically pre-disposed to be insulin resistant. Dummies like T2K thinks it is simple for everyone. It's not. We had a skinny guy in our office, and he ate chips, cookies, pretzels, etc with reckless abandon and never gained weight or had a problem.

The proper term for "fat" is "have obesity." 😜 Was listening to a podcast recently with a great MD, and he slipped up twice saying "overweight" and he apologized and said "have obesity." I'm find with the word fat.

Restaurants are death to people who are insulin resistant.

I was nearly in the same boat. 99.9% of the time, I avoid cookies and sugar. Had a minor slip up when our vendors sent a bunch of cookies and sweets to the office. A few days of eating crap did not make me fall off the wagon. To the contrary, felt like crap after eating crap, and it was a good reminder to stay on the path.

It's tough for people who are genetically pre-disposed to be insulin resistant. Dummies like T2K thinks it is simple for everyone. It's not. We had a skinny guy in our office, and he ate chips, cookies, pretzels, etc with reckless abandon and never gained weight or had a problem.

The proper term for "fat" is "have obesity." 😜 Was listening to a podcast recently with a great MD, and he slipped up twice saying "overweight" and he apologized and said "have obesity." I'm find with the word fat.

Restaurants are death to people who are insulin resistant.
Most people are simple regarding T2D and losing weight. Got 20 years of data and research on the topic. Don't assume your mutant experience is normal.

LOL!

Most people are simple regarding T2D and losing weight. Got 20 years of data and research on the topic. Don't assume your mutant experience is normal.

LOL!
Just stop, you look more foolish with each post, just like in the weather threads. You try to hard sometimes. You do know what a phenotype is, don't you?

Just stop, you look more foolish with each post, just like in the weather threads. You try to hard sometimes. You do know what a phenotype is, don't you?
Stop pushing your mutant experience onto the masses. Every hear the one about the horse and zebra? LOL. Stop projecting and misleading people.

Most people with T2D can get rid of it by losing weight
Most people can lose weight by eating less and reducing calories

Go ahead, try to prove either wrong.

Stop pushing your mutant experience onto the masses. Every hear the one about the horse and zebra? LOL. Stop projecting and misleading people.

Most people with T2D can get rid of it by losing weight
Most people can lose weight by eating less and reducing calories

Go ahead, try to prove either wrong.
I have, and you are too dense and lost in your own arrogance to listen. You make a fool of yourself with each post, just like on the weather threads. To ignore you go.

I have, and you are too dense and lost in your own arrogance to listen. You make a fool of yourself with each post, just like on the weather threads. To ignore you go.
Nice try, prove those statements wrong or zip it. Cite the source and data. Time to man up.

I am a patent attorney. Have worked on a variety of projects for pharma companies. Sometimes, I have been able to see the granular information that does not make it on the lable or widely publicized. While I may appear to be anti pharma, I am neutral but wary on the drug approval process, and what I have perceived to be a lag in the information that is shared with family doctors on adverse effects. Also, many doctors are lazy or simply want to try out the shiny new pharma toy they saw at a conference or pushed by a pharma rep. As an example, years ago when experiencing back pain, I told my doctor that I did not want a Cox-2 inhibitor, Celebrex because of the growing body of dara that this class of drugs caused heart problems. He prescribed Vioxx, another Cox-2 inhibitor. 🤦‍♀️

There is a myriad of useful drugs, and many instances, the side effects are balanced versus the benefits. In many cases, the benefits win and this is a great outcome for the patient.

There is a growing movement of MDa promoting high satiety foods. They are often high in protein content, and people feel full after eating a low quantity of calories.

The worst foods are those rich in highly processed carbs and saturated fat. The combination drives many people to overconsume calories. Food companies know this. It's good for business.

When I decide to cut weight, we up my protein macros. Add in some short fasts of 48 hours and the weight comes right off.

It sounds simple, but it took years of unlearning the misinformation that had been fed to people.
I eat basically the same group of food every day with minor tweaks. When I stick to it consistently I feel great. I try to get 100 or more grams of protein.
I always have an egg/egg white/vegetable/avocado breakfast to start the day.

Holiday time is not good for me because once I start with the various sweets I go off the rails.

Calley Means is a little off the rails sometimes, but he is not wrong here -Harvard is a corporate bought and paid captive cesspool of bad government guidance on health and wellness on obesity:

So far in this thread no real bad reports of ozempic. Except from mild nausea
That was original question. Why can’t people “weigh in” on that . Instead of getting on their soap boxes
It’s been around for like 5 years. We won’t know crap for another 10 years about potential issues. If you are morbidly obese have at it. Just fat, start working out

Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s been around for like 5 years. We won’t know crap for another 10 years about potential issues. If you are morbidly obese have at it. Just fat, start working out
and getting your macros and diet on point. IMO and experience, it's 90% diet. Tracking my fitness with a heart rate monitor for over 5 years. My months with highest calories burned from working out did not equal most pounds lost. It was the months I initiated fasts and protein sparing modified fasts (2-3 days per week of nearly 100% protein macros). It was difficult in the beginning, but after quitting garbage food and ultraprocessed foods, it's easy to pass on crap food.

Reactions: RU Cheese
We would likely know already, millions are using or have used it already (including other GLP-1s).

Also, we should probably start saying Wegovy not Ozempic regarding weight loss. Same active, but different dosing. If you look at the clinical trial data, Wegovy has higher side effects than Ozempic due to the higher doses.

And remember, if you are fat, eat less. Problem solved!

Been dealing with over 30 BMI all my life and I discussed going on Ozempic with my doc a few months back and would put me on it. Don't think my insurance would cover Ozempic for weight loss, but would cover Wegovy and Contrave (a different class of drug). Contrave has its own interesting side effects.

I'm dieting now without meds, or I'm just trying to reset what, when and how I eat for the long term. I lost a few pounds, but the food noise that presents itself in cravings or lightheadedness at various time of the day are the worst things about weight and food control and they don't go away for me. I'm glad these drugs address these issues. But I'm turned off by the various reports of side effects and the types of side effects encountered. Any attempt to lose weight and control what and how you eat involves some form of physical, mental or emotional discomfort, I would prefer to experience that without medically-induced discomfort.

Glad to see these meds and that they work for people. Not happy to see the emergence of the GLP-1 industrial complex with it.

Been dealing with over 30 BMI all my life and I discussed going on Ozempic with my doc a few months back and would put me on it. Don't think my insurance would cover Ozempic for weight loss, but would cover Wegovy and Contrave (a different class of drug). Contrave has its own interesting side effects.

I'm dieting now without meds, or I'm just trying to reset what, when and how I eat for the long term. I lost a few pounds, but the food noise that presents itself in cravings or lightheadedness at various time of the day are the worst things about weight and food control and they don't go away for me. I'm glad these drugs address these issues. But I'm turned off by the various reports of side effects and the types of side effects encountered. Any attempt to lose weight and control what and how you eat involves some form of physical, mental or emotional discomfort, I would prefer to experience that without medically-induced discomfort.

Glad to see these meds and that they work for people. Not happy to see the emergence of the GLP-1 industrial complex with it.
As far as the "what" focus on foods that have high satiety per calorie. The website DietDoctor has a ton of information, but the link below is a good start. The basic thrust is higher protein foods (chicken, fish, tofu, pork, red meat (if you are not opposed to it) have a much higher satiety than a piece of bread, a bagel, etc. Everyone is different, but lots of people who figure this out and focus on high satiety foods can kick the cravings because they feel full faster. I rarely snack, but when I do, I go for TwoGood or another low calorie yogurt. TwoGood Yogurt with blueberries is my staple desert when I have one. Lowfat yogurt has a very high protein amount per calorie. Hope this helps. Follow the accounts below on X/Twitter- they don't post much, but what they post is gold.

Naiman has a wicked sense of humor, and don't get turned off my his profile picture. His before and after shots at 35 and 50 are shown below after he started leveraging protein.

You need to figure out which foods keep you "full" for as long as possible (while sticking to your calorie targets). How long have you been dieting?

As far as the "what" focus on foods that have high satiety per calorie. The website DietDoctor has a ton of information, but the link below is a good start. The basic thrust is higher protein foods (chicken, fish, tofu, pork, red meat (if you are not opposed to it) have a much higher satiety than a piece of bread, a bagel, etc. Everyone is different, but lots of people who figure this out and focus on high satiety foods can kick the cravings because they feel full faster. I rarely snack, but when I do, I go for TwoGood or another low calorie yogurt. TwoGood Yogurt with blueberries is my staple desert when I have one. Lowfat yogurt has a very high protein amount per calorie. Hope this helps. Follow the accounts below on X/Twitter- they don't post much, but what they post is gold.

Naiman has a wicked sense of humor, and don't get turned off my his profile picture. His before and after shots at 35 and 50 are shown below after he started leveraging protein.

Sometimes when I’m craving sweets, I picture David Goggins or Layne Norton in my kitchen yelling at me not to. 😅

Sometimes when I’m craving sweets, I picture David Goggins or Layne Norton in my kitchen yelling at me not to. 😅
David Goggins is a legend. I had never listened to any podcast with him, but Huberman just had him on. It was an F Bomb fest. Listened while riding my mountain bike, and I rode through 6 concrete walls and did not hurt myself!

EDIT- interesting thing about Goggins- he was grossly obese and dyslexic as a child. He has had quite a run by focusing on himself. Quite an amazing person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
Lots of good advice here, especially from KnightShift. Few other things to consider:

1) Planning / Grocery Store - It's much easier to eat healthier when you shop healthier. For me, I cant succumb to urges and eat ice cream if it's not at home. If there's crap in the house it's much harder to avoid.

2) Water - It's simple but I feel much better and don't eat crap nearly as much when drinking a lot of water throughout day.

3) Stay Busy - Whether it's work, hobby, exercise, you're more likely to eat and eat crap when you're bored.

Lots of good advice here, especially from KnightShift. Few other things to consider:

1) Planning / Grocery Store - It's much easier to eat healthier when you shop healthier. For me, I cant succumb to urges and eat ice cream if it's not at home. If there's crap in the house it's much harder to avoid.

2) Water - It's simple but I feel much better and don't eat crap nearly as much when drinking a lot of water throughout day.

3) Stay Busy - Whether it's work, hobby, exercise, you're more likely to eat and eat crap when you're bored.
Helpful Grocery Store diagram from one of my X/Twitter Follows that is very true:

E_4MtmOUUAwFI8X

Harvard and other Ivies are compromised. Peer reviewed, ha, ha, ha. Science can be bought and or fudged to make the data fit a narrative.

Here's a hilarious one, and this is real. Oreos lowered LDL cholesterol more effectively than a statin in a poplulation known as a lean mass hyper-responder.

Reactions: bac2therac
This sounds like type 2 diabetes can be made a non factor, but still needed to be controlled so it doesn’t return

>According to recent research cannot be cured, but individuals can have glucose levels that return to non-diabetes range, (complete remission) or pre-diabetes glucose level (partial remission) The primary means by which people with type 2 diabetes achieve remission is by losing significant amounts of weight.<

https://www.joslin.org/patient-care...arning-center/can-type-2-diabetes-be-reversed
I have been taking Monjauro since June 2023. My original A1c reading was 13.8 when I was first diagnosed with Diabetes type2. Yeah, I know. Life was out of control back then.

My most recent A1c reading was 5.8. I have lost 30 pounds and had very few side effects as my doctor and I have have gradually increased my dosage.

I like, no, I actually love where I am at with Monjauro. I am now down to my college football playing weight of 227. I realize that number is large compared to many of you, but when I was at my peak physical condition, I was at 227.

Like most medications, take it for what it is intended for. The results should follow.

I have been taking Monjauro since June 2023. My original A1c reading was 13.8 when I was first diagnosed with Diabetes type2. Yeah, I know. Life was out of control back then.

My most recent A1c reading was 5.8. I have lost 30 pounds and had very few side effects as my doctor and I have have gradually increased my dosage.

I like, no, I actually love where I am at with Monjauro. I am now down to my college football playing weight of 227. I realize that number is large compared to many of you, but when I was at my peak physical condition, I was at 227.

Like most medications, take it for what it is intended for. The results should follow.

What dosage are you currently taking now? Assume you started at 2.5 six months ago…

Great result, and great way of going about in with your doctor working with you.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
My new year's resolution was not to eat anything my wife buys unless I requested, she buy it.

It’s just all about discipline. Meal prepping will help you big time, and get to the gym 3-4 times per week minimum.

Taking a pill isn’t going to solve the issue, it’s just going to provide you with a temporary bandaid.

Or are people planning on staying on this drug for the rest of their lives?

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT