ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pyrex+water+microwave=DANGER?

Sep 11, 2006
I just saw something on this and it kinda shocked me that I did not already know this...

But if you heat plain water in a microwave past the point it should boil you could have a superheated liquid (without any air bubbles releasing pressure) and if you take it right out of the microwave it could blow up in your face.

Since hearing this I have heard people mention it happening to them while pouring in some jello mix or hot chocolate or even sticking in a spoon of instant coffee.

People have been seriously injured.. scalded and blinded....

some related reddit thread

merry-christmas-happy-new-year.gif

It is only in BRAND NEW pyrex that has no deformities yet. What happens is there are no air bubbles and the water becomes super heated but not boiling. Once you move it or break the tension is essentially "explodes" this is not normal for older pyrex generally only new pyrex.

Either way be VERY careful boiling water in glass anything in the microwave.

It is true

Problem is the near perfect surface so bubbles don't form. Use an old scratched up container.

Also, never boil water leave it in microwave and then try to reboil again. First time drives out dissolved gasses, second time no dissolved gasses to aid in bubble formation and is high risk.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Is this a Tik-Tok Challenge ??
It soon will be, right after Tide Pods and Pop Rocks/Cola make their comebacks.
It is true

Problem is the near perfect surface so bubbles don't form. Use an old scratched up container.

Also, never boil water leave it in microwave and then try to reboil again. First time drives out dissolved gasses, second time no dissolved gasses to aid in bubble formation and is high risk.
Nice! Are you a chemist or did you happen to stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Reactions: MADHAT1
I only use micro to heat water and not boil it.
30-45 seconds fires-up a partial bowl of water for oat bran right-up.
I use cold brew 100% for coffee/tea.
Set things up at night and all is ready next morning (and with less bitterness etc).

It is only in BRAND NEW pyrex that has no deformities yet. What happens is there are no air bubbles and the water becomes super heated but not boiling. Once you move it or break the tension is essentially "explodes" this is not normal for older pyrex generally only new pyrex.

Either way be VERY careful boiling water in glass anything in the microwave.
YEah.. that checks.. it is the scratches on the surface that allows bubbles to form. The bubbles release the pressure. But that brand new stuff, in a microwave, can get water hotter than boiling and no bobbles.. no release of pressure.

They say putting a wooden spoon or something in there is enough to allow bubbles to form.

I posted this because I was so unaware of it myself... and how drastic the possible outcomes. I have spoken to family members who experienced this.. without the dire outcome.. except for teh mess of having jello powder and boiling water spraying over their kitchen. The cleanup was drastic.. but they got lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT