ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Why would VIAC rally so much?

Have to admit, I bought a relatively large amount of RIOT at $37 two Friday's ago during the big morning crash. Plan to dump it once it doubles or comes close (via BTC popping) and reinvest into my crypto long plays. RIOT is a yo-yo and just follows BTC as a multiplier. Am I a trader now? LOL!
Why has VIAC run so much? Just a flimsy opinion here, but I think it's part value play, part reopening, part streaming, and more recently momentum running upwards.

As per you as a trader? Seems you are becoming one. And nothing wrong with that, especially if you compartmentalize your holdings.

I think one benefit of being a trader, as opposed to an investor who only checks his holdings come tax time is, in order to be a trader you need to be more involved, and thus have a better understanding of what is currently happening in the market, and where the market is heading.

Why has VIAC run so much? Just a flimsy opinion here, but I think it's part value play, part reopening, part streaming, and more recently momentum running upwards.

As per you as a trader? Seems you are becoming one. And nothing wrong with that, especially if you compartmentalize your holdings.

I think one benefit of being a trader, as opposed to an investor who only checks his holdings come tax time is, in order to be a trader you need to be more involved, and thus have a better understanding of what is currently happening in the market, and where the market is heading.
I check my funds/etfs and long term holdings quite regularly, since I do adjust allocations as needed. However, even my cryptos are long plays, so RIOT is the first time I bought something with the expressed purpose of selling very quickly. It's up to $62. If BTC can stay above $60k until Monday morning, I bet RIOT will pop close to $70. Good enough for me.

Hope you got some good deals over the past 2 weeks!

I check my funds/etfs and long term holdings quite regularly, since I do adjust allocations as needed. However, even my cryptos are long plays, so RIOT is the first time I bought something with the expressed purpose of selling very quickly. It's up to $62. If BTC can stay above $60k until Monday morning, I bet RIOT will pop close to $70. Good enough for me.

Hope you got some good deals over the past 2 weeks!
Think I sold around $65 a month or so ago, then bought at $55, and then $45, it went lower but my position was already maxed out in terms of % of my portfolio. So I didn't nail the bottom, but I did very well on the trade.

Conversely BFCH, my high beta crypto play, which I bought on Feb 24th, is down 40%. Luckily a much smaller position.

Think I sold around $65 a month or so ago, then bought at $55, and then $45, it went lower but my position was already maxed out in terms of % of my portfolio. So I didn't nail the bottom, but I did very well on the trade.

Conversely BFCH, my high beta crypto play, which I bought on Feb 24th, is down 40%. Luckily a much smaller position.
It was down to $35 on that Friday, but I needed some time to analyze and process, so I missed the bottom as well. I would keep selling after a BTC rally and buying after a BTC dip. However, to be fair, RIOT seemed to have been impacted with the overall drop in tech, so it had double pressure in this case.

BFCH may pop tomorrow due to BTC's rally.

Weekly summary from ARK:

Beam Therapeutics (BEAM)
17%​
Beam Therapeutics (BEAM), a base editing company that does not require double stranded DNA breaks, closed up 17% on Tuesday after Blue Bird Bio (BLUE) determined that its gene therapy for sickle cell anemia was not the cause a patient's acute myeloid leukemia (AML). The Blue Bird’s finding set off a rally in most gene therapy stocks, including BEAM.​
Cellectis (CLLS)
18%​
Cellectis (CLLS), a bio-pharmaceutical company that harnesses the power of TALENS, a gene editing technique to create immunotherapies, traded up 18% on Tuesday, perhaps because Blue Bird Bio determined that its gene therapy for sickle cell anemia did not cause a patient's acute myeloid leukemia (AML).​
Evogene (EVGN)
16%​
Evogene (EVGN), a computational biology company, traded up 16% on Tuesday, in line with a broad-based rebound in agricultural stocks after a selloff in February.​
Materialise (MTLS) & Nano Dimension (NNDM)
26%​
Materialise (MTLS) and Nano Dimension (NNDM) both traded higher on Tuesday and Thursday after reporting better than expected revenues. Materialise, a 3D printing company specializing in medical software and services, reported fourth quarter revenues that declined 10.7% on a year over year basis but increased 11.1% sequentially. Its stock closed up more than 26% on Tuesday and another 17% on Thursday. Nano Dimension, a 3D printer manufacturer focused on high performance electronics, closed up more than 19% on Tuesday before its fourth quarter earnings release and then 18% on Thursday after reporting better than expected revenues that were flat on a year over year basis.​
NIU Technologies (NIU)
25%​
NIU Technologies (NIU), an electric scooter company based in China, appreciated 25% on Tuesday as electric vehicle stocks responded to strong delivery reports. Its fourth quarter earnings beat expectations on both the top and the bottom lines. NIU is planning for a 33% increase in electric scooter deliveries, from roughly 600,000 last year to 1 million units this year.​
Intellia (NTLA)
22%​
Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA), a CRISPR based gene editing company with a strong focus on in vivo editing, closed up 22% on Tuesday after Blue Bird Bio determined that its sickle cell gene therapy did not cause a patient's acute myeloid leukemia (AML), triggering a broad-based rally in gene editing stocks. In addition, at the Keystone eSymposium this week, Intellia presented promising pre-clinical data on the in vivo CRISPR editing of bone marrow.​
Twist Biosciences (TWST)
18%​
Twist Biosciences (TWST), a synthetic biology company, closed up 18% on Tuesday, after Fast Money named it one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies (MIC).​
Experience Investment Corporation (EXPC)
18%​
Experience Investment Corporation (EXPC), the SPAC acquiring urban air mobility platform Blade, closed up 18% on Thursday after reporting stronger than expected first quarter results. Strength in its organ transport business offset declines in its short-distance travel business. Blade also announced that it will re-launch its $195 New York City airport transfer service.​
Vuzix (VUZI)
20%​
Vuzix (VUZI), a company developing wearable display technology, traded up 20.5% on Thursday after announcing a partnership with German startup Rooom AG, a cloud-based platform that helps users digitize assets and products with computer aided design (CAD). The partnership will help Vuzix support the creation of advanced 3D augmented reality content for both new and existing enterprise customers.​
LendingClub (LC)
16%​
LendingClub (LC) traded up 16% on Friday after releasing fourth quarter earnings that surpassed expectations despite lower-than-expected revenues. While the COVID-19 crisis hit LendingClub hard, it is rebounding rapidly and expects revenues to beat analysts' expectations for this year.​

Reactions: RU-05
Currently, there aren't enough used/old batteries to supply the raw materials for the next generation of batteries. I've said numerous times, the world is going to need an INSANE amount of batteries for transport and stationary storage in the coming decades. Mining is accelerating. That's where I'd be looking to invest. In the distant future, there will be enough old batteries to make recycled materials the primary source of raw materials. Recycled materials would actually be preferred since they're purer. This would be a very long term play IMO.
Yeah, likely a 10year play. With all these evs being made now and over the next 10 years things will transition 100% there will be a huge need for recycling

anybody able to tell if this is real?

I really want to drop 50K on this now and retire in about 15 years if this is real.
T2K mentioned me in regards to batteries, but I really don't know anything about the science.

I do think it's safe to say the patent is real. So I do think they have a nice head start on what is going to be a fast growing sector.

Now, and I think this was alluded to in the replies above, it's not actually much of a sector at the moment. And AMYZF is not actually a commercial enterprise at the moment. They have plans to build a recycling facility, and have just announced that they are expanding on those plans, but they don't actually have a facility, thus, they are still away's away from producing revenues, and even further from actually making money. That is why we are talking about an OTC stock that a couple months ago was trading around 15 cents. It has run a fare amount since then, so it wouldn't be surprising to see this one continue to pull back.

I have a small position, and I'm down about 17%. I don't know what 50K means to you, but I wouldn't allocate a large % of my portfolio to such a speculative play.

Edit: Story from Friday about it's facility plans. E*TRADE FINANCIAL - Quotes & Research (wallst.com)

Last edited:
Is this referencing TSLA predicting 500K cars delivered and then coming in at 495K?
The list is too long. It’s funny that they missed on so many targets, the market actually doesn’t react anymore.

Last edited:
The list is too long. It’s funny that they missed on so many targets, the market actually doesn’t react anymore.
I guess when your rev's grow more then 4x over 5 years the market doesn't mind some missed targets.

Is this referencing TSLA predicting 500K cars delivered and then coming in at 495K?
Should be a nice increase in car sales this year. TSLA is a buy and hold, just like the big 5 (Apple, Amazon, MSFT, FB, and Google).

we've talked BIIB before, looking pretty cheap at 10x p/e and an eps of 24x.

They are expecting a pretty significant decrease yoy looking towards this year, but from there they are expecting solid looking growth.

Currently trading at a level which is first established back in early 2014.

All these guys are following the TSLA model of over promising and under delivering. I don’t blame them because it’s working for the stock.
Horrible comparison. Tesla had been delivering vehicles for years prior to the stock taking off. Lordstown, Nikola, Lucid, etc.. haven't delivered a single vehicle. Tesla may be late on some timelines, but they get it done. I think it's fair to grant all EV manufacturers some leeway on timelines since we're dealing with new technology. But please, "All these guys" and Tesla are in a different universe.

Reactions: lne001
For a while, I thought you stepped out of the TSLAQ echo chamber. Right back in..
You want to nitpick timelines of developing new technology at scale, which is INSANELY difficult, fine. I'll look at the bigger.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Horrible comparison. Tesla had been delivering vehicles for years prior to the stock taking off. Lordstown, Nikola, Lucid, etc.. haven't delivered a single vehicle. Tesla may be late on some timelines, but they get it done. I think it's fair to grant all EV manufacturers some leeway on timelines since we're dealing with new technology. But please, "All these guys" and Tesla are in a different universe.
I never said they were the same. I said they are using Tesla’s playbook. Don’t be so defensive.

More so then that I think these stories back up the notion that we need to be wary about the ambitious claims of these spacs.

On the converse side, consider the source, this is a short seller research firm. Where as the spacs themselves will often paint an overly rosy picture, these guys will focus only on the negative.

Now are any of these pre rev ev companies going to challenge TSLA in the next 5-10 years? Most likely not. That challenge will come from the legacy automakers.
It's wise to be skeptical of this research report, but, this is the same firm that broke the Nikola story, so there is a degree of credibility here.
As to your second point, I disagree. I think a majority of legacy automakers are doomed. It's going to be Tesla and Chinese auto dominating the EV space. VW has a chance.

we've talked BIIB before, looking pretty cheap at 10x p/e and an eps of 24x.

They are expecting a pretty significant decrease yoy looking towards this year, but from there they are expecting solid looking growth.

Currently trading at a level which is first established back in early 2014.
BIIB - Morningstar FMV = $350
Vertex is also a good one - FMV = $259
Roche (which includes Genentech) is a 5-star Morningstar stock (highest undervalued rating) - FMV = $60

Pharma and Biotech as an industry is undervalued. PFE is another one! Just saved the world and is still below FMV.

However, once again, it is risky to buy individual pharma or biotech stocks due to the uncertainty around trials and FDA decisions. This sector screams funds or ETF! You can also choose 8-10 stocks and create your own fund.

It's wise to be skeptical of this research report, but, this is the same firm that broke the Nikola story, so there is a degree of credibility here.
As to your second point, I disagree. I think a majority of legacy automakers are doomed. It's going to be Tesla and Chinese auto dominating the EV space. VW has a chance.
Completely disagree on the 2nd point. The idea that GM and Ford are doomed is ridiculous at this point. This is where actual cars sold, and how small a footprint TSLA has in that regards becomes relevant.

But I'm def not in the mood to go down this rabbit hole.

Completely disagree on the 2nd point. The idea that GM and Ford are doomed is ridiculous at this point. This is where actual cars sold, and how small a footprint TSLA has in that regards becomes relevant.

But I'm def not in the mood to go down this rabbit hole.
GM and Ford are about 3 years behind Tesla on tech.....batteries, range, performance, etc. Will they close the gap? Probably. Is there room for multiple EV winners in the US. Yes. Telsa will definitely be one of them. Not sure who else as of now.

FYI, really like ChargePoint for an EV value chain play.

Reactions: theRU
GM and Ford are about 3 years behind Tesla on tech.....batteries, range, performance, etc. Will they close the gap? Probably. Is there room for multiple EV winners in the US. Yes. Telsa will definitely be one of them. Not sure who else as of now.

FYI, really like ChargePoint for an EV value chain play.
How do you close the gap on Usain Bolt when you give him a 20 meter lead?

• Haha
How do you close the gap on Usain Bolt when you give him a 20 meter lead?
This is where the TSLA fans go astray. This is a company that has only recently started to make money, and even that is suspect as they have been propped up by subsidies.

I'm not a hater, but they are by no means equivalent to the greatest sprinter of all time.

This is where the TSLA fans go astray. This is a company that has only recently started to make money, and even that is suspect as they have been propped up by subsidies.

I'm not a hater, but they are by no means equivalent to the greatest sprinter of all time.
True on the profit, but selling 495,000 high end EVs is quite advanced, compared to others.

True on the profit, but selling 495,000 high end EVs is quite advanced, compared to others.
I respectfully disagree. 500,000 was the target and TSLA fell short. 505,000 would have been “quite advanced”. When just about ANY company falls short of virtually any target that stock usually gets punished. You guys can keep talking TSLA but all you need to do is look at the retail account inflows and its direct correlation to TSLA’s stock price. If stimulus money wasn’t on the way the spec tech rebound would not have occurred.

I respectfully disagree. 500,000 was the target and TSLA fell short. 505,000 would have been “quite advanced”. When just about ANY company falls short of virtually any target that stock usually gets punished. You guys can keep talking TSLA but all you need to do is look at the retail account inflows and its direct correlation to TSLA’s stock price. If stimulus money wasn’t on the way the spec tech rebound would not have occurred.
Lucky for you, this is America, you have the right to be wrong.

#quiteadvanced

Lucky for you, this is America, you have the right to be wrong.

#quiteadvanced
Wrong that TSLA missed by 5,000? Numbers don’t lie. Again, great company but the valuation is absurd. Once the retail traders are done pissing away their stimulus checks and realize the well is dry TSLA and the rest of spec tech will get crushed again.

Wrong that TSLA missed by 5,000? Numbers don’t lie. Again, great company but the valuation is absurd. Once the retail traders are done pissing away their stimulus checks and realize the well is dry TSLA and the rest of spec tech will get crushed again.
Remember there was a pandemic to deal with. I don't see missing the target as a big deal.

But 500K cars is just not that big a number in overall car sales. Yes they have a lead in EV's, but the sector is still in it's infancy. That's the argument imo.

Remember there was a pandemic to deal with. I don't see missing the target as a big deal.

But 500K cars is just not that big a number in overall car sales. Yes they have a lead in EV's, but the sector is still in it's infancy. That's the argument imo.
Have you researched ENPH? Growing and profitable, can't get a read on if it is overvalued even after the drop (MS doesn't have a rating for it for some reason). Analysts cited via CNN Money seem bullish.

Actually, aside from inventory issues, the overall car market held up well during the pandemic, especially with city-dwellers moving to the suburbs and needing cars after relying on public transportation. And many homes with one car needed two. I’ve witnessed it first hand as a family friend who owns a prominent chain of dealerships in NJ had one of its most profitable years in history - they moved more cars in the first 6 months of the pandemic than they did in the previous year. Even the used car market is on fire with prices up 10-15% and dealerships are selling out of loaner cars. The loaners are basically sold before they even hit their 4700 mile limit.

Actually, aside from inventory issues, the overall car market held up well during the pandemic, especially with city-dwellers moving to the suburbs and needing cars after relying on public transportation. And many homes with one car needed two. I’ve witnessed it first hand as a family friend who owns a prominent chain of dealerships in NJ had one of its most profitable years in history - they moved more cars in the first 6 months of the pandemic than they did in the previous year. Even the used car market is on fire with prices up 10-15% and dealerships are selling out of loaner cars. The loaners are basically sold before they even hit their 4700 mile limit.
The issue was not the demand it was that TSLA's plants were closed. Musk was pretty bent about California not allowing him to open.

Somewhat of an aside, but Disney was similarly upset that Ca would not allow them to open.

The issue was not the demand it was that TSLA's plants were closed. Musk was pretty bent about California not allowing him to open.

Somewhat of an aside, but Disney was similarly upset that Ca would not allow them to open.
+1
Why do you think Telsa is moving to TX? At least Disneyland is scheduled to reopen next month.

Technoking and Master of Coin....LOL

Musk knows his target audience. Who needs valuations when you are the technoking and employs the Master of Coin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT