ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

ARK seems to hold about 0.5% in cash, but this can vary quite a bit. ARKK has about $100m in cash. This ARKW fund only has $15-20m. Look like they sold some FB for that fund as well:

Latest Trades
FundDateDirectionTickerCUSIPCompany
Shares​
% of ETF
1ARKF03/10/2021BuyKSPILI48581R205KASPI.KZ JSC
7,043​
0.0129​
2ARKG03/10/2021BuyADPT00650F109ADAPTIVE BIOTECHNOLOGIES CORP
30,323​
0.0130​
3ARKG03/10/2021BuyRPTX760273102REPARE THERAPEUTICS INC
14,138​
0.0041​
4ARKG03/10/2021BuySEER81578P106SEER INC
573​
0.0003​
5ARKG03/10/2021BuyVRTX92532F100VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC
112,100​
0.2563​
6ARKG03/10/2021SellPSTI72940R300PLURISTEM THERAPEUTICS INC
49,525​
0.0028​
7ARKG03/10/2021SellREGN75886F107REGENERON PHARMACEUTICALS INC
21,639​
0.1089​
8ARKK03/10/2021BuyBLI084310101BERKELEY LIGHTS INC
145,219​
0.0341​
9ARKK03/10/2021SellICE45866F104INTERCONTINENTAL EXCHANGE INC
11,354​
0.0058​
10ARKQ03/10/2021BuyAONEG7000X105ONE
79,272​
0.0278​
11ARKQ03/10/2021BuyESLTM3760D101ELBIT SYSTEMS LTD
135​
0.0006​
12ARKQ03/10/2021BuyEXPC30217C109EXPERIENCE INVESTMENT CORP
160,000​
0.0584​
13ARKQ03/10/2021BuyJD47215P106JD.COM INC
76,059​
0.2081​
14ARKQ03/10/2021SellCAT149123101CATERPILLAR INC
7,300​
0.0491​
15ARKQ03/10/2021SellDE244199105DEERE & CO
9,500​
0.1039​
16ARKW03/10/2021BuyRBLX771049103ROBLOX CORP
519,086​
0.4702​
17ARKW03/10/2021SellFB30303M102FACEBOOK INC
67,032​
0.2522​
She sure does a lot of selling for someone who has conviction.

I bought a ton of RBLX yesterday based on my kids. They play that game all day with friends

anybody able to tell if this is real?

I really want to drop 50K on this now and retire in about 15 years if this is real.
Not familiar with this one specifically but I read a little about a similar one (https://li-cycle.com/) that is in talks to go public through a SPAC.

I bought a ton of RBLX yesterday based on my kids. They play that game all day with friends
Does anyone know what CW paid per share? I’d be surprised if she didn’t get a pre-listing allocation meaning she paid a lot less than you or I would. I was burned so many times early on in my investing career buying on the first few days of trading that now I typically wait until the volatility subsides and I see a good entry point.

Reactions: theRU and T2Kplus20
Does anyone know what CW paid per share? I’d be surprised if she didn’t get a pre-listing allocation meaning she paid a lot less than you or I would. I was burned so many times early on in my investing career buying on the first few days of trading that now I typically wait until the volatility subsides and I see a good entry point.
+1
Buying on IPO day never seems like a good idea.

Reactions: rurahrah000
Regarding rblx - 38 B valuation on day one... Do you guys really see that company going 2X this value?
IPOs these days are way over priced IMO. I hope you guys that got in do well - but i'm skeptical.

Reactions: redking
Regarding rblx - 38 B valuation on day one... Do you guys really see that company going 2X this value?
IPOs these days are way over priced IMO. I hope you guys that got in do well - but i'm skeptical.
I haven’t done a lot of research on RBLX but it didn’t strike me as something I need to jump on. Of all the recent IPOs I’d say Airbnb is the one I’m most interested in buying. Just trying to find an entry point.

I haven’t done a lot of research on RBLX but it didn’t strike me as something I need to jump on. Of all the recent IPOs I’d say Airbnb is the one I’m most interested in buying. Just trying to find an entry point.
RBLX was valued at $4b during last February's funding round. Was $60b as of this morning. Seems like a bit of a jump to say the least. Also a pretty good case to be made that it is a quarantine stock, will be interesting to see how they hold onto/grow users.

anybody able to tell if this is real?

I really want to drop 50K on this now and retire in about 15 years if this is real.
Currently, there aren't enough used/old batteries to supply the raw materials for the next generation of batteries. I've said numerous times, the world is going to need an INSANE amount of batteries for transport and stationary storage in the coming decades. Mining is accelerating. That's where I'd be looking to invest. In the distant future, there will be enough old batteries to make recycled materials the primary source of raw materials. Recycled materials would actually be preferred since they're purer. This would be a very long term play IMO.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
+1
Buying on IPO day never seems like a good idea.

I grabbed a bunch when it went online in the afternoon and then flipped it near the days high. Helped lower the amt of margin I used buying ARKK last week. Based on all trends the last yr and the amt of hype coverage it was seeing on CNBC it was destined for a quick pop.

Its been a nutty week in the markets, wish I had more time to opine here. I was happy to pile into Arkk on that big dip.

BTC could very well hit over 60k, especially if the stimmy $ goes out over the weekend.
I was frugal on the dip a few weeks back and now regret not putting more into BTC. I kind of hate how fast this is going up as I cant slowly buy in more over time, but I think those 100k predictions by year end might not be so far fetched any more. And keep any eye on Apple. If there is every an inkling of them looking at BTC, you could be looking at a 5-10k jump in a day. If (when) they decide to invest 1% of their cash reserve into BTC, it'll be a number bigger than Tesla's purchase. And that's if they only invest 1%.

Some of the alts Ive mentioned here have done well too. Decred has gone from $40 to $175 a coin. There's a lot of early BTC adopters pushing this coin. Elastos is still meddling around $4 a coin. Either it goes to $100 by year end or the project is just not going to gain the legs it needs to survive. 50/50 odds there. AXS - the video game NFT has popped from $.40 to $4.80. That's been another fun one to watch.

Anyway, fun times in the markets. Really curious to see who the next big player in BTC is.

I grabbed a bunch when it went online in the afternoon and then flipped it near the days high. Helped lower the amt of margin I used buying ARKK last week. Based on all trends the last yr and the amt of hype coverage it was seeing on CNBC it was destined for a quick pop.

Its been a nutty week in the markets, wish I had more time to opine here. I was happy to pile into Arkk on that big dip.

BTC could very well hit over 60k, especially if the stimmy $ goes out over the weekend.
I was frugal on the dip a few weeks back and now regret not putting more into BTC. I kind of hate how fast this is going up as I cant slowly buy in more over time, but I think those 100k predictions by year end might not be so far fetched any more. And keep any eye on Apple. If there is every an inkling of them looking at BTC, you could be looking at a 5-10k jump in a day. If (when) they decide to invest 1% of their cash reserve into BTC, it'll be a number bigger than Tesla's purchase. And that's if they only invest 1%.

Some of the alts Ive mentioned here have done well too. Decred has gone from $40 to $175 a coin. There's a lot of early BTC adopters pushing this coin. Elastos is still meddling around $4 a coin. Either it goes to $100 by year end or the project is just not going to gain the legs it needs to survive. 50/50 odds there. AXS - the video game NFT has popped from $.40 to $4.80. That's been another fun one to watch.

Anyway, fun times in the markets. Really curious to see who the next big player in BTC is.
+1
Nutty week. Glad you got some ARKK nice and cheap. I did the same and also made a few other bargain moves. I agree regarding BTC. The way it has been trading this week, I feel like a run to $60k may come very soon (perhaps even tomorrow).

You can make a lot of money on BTC's volatility by trading in the support stocks (which move with BTC but do so in multiples). Such a fascinating market!
:)

For those that are retired or starting to plan for retirement, here is an excellent article from Michael Kitces on different draw down strategies. The conclusion, which I agree with, is that it is often optimal to balance withdrawals from both traditional IRAs and taxable accounts, while doing partial Roth conversions.

Anyone have thoughts on NFTs? I love the technology and applications, but can’t understand how the market won’t be flooded to the point where values plummet. Since the digital universe is virtually unlimited, the number of potential NFTs appears limitless. Which is totally different from the physical world. Not to mention that the ability to hang a piece of artwork on a wall makes it easier to view/display. Whereas, if I want to show anyone my NBA HotShots clip or Beeples digital painting I need to fire up my laptop or show it on my phone?

Anyone have thoughts on NFTs? I love the technology and applications, but can’t understand how the market won’t be flooded to the point where values plummet. Since the digital universe is virtually unlimited, the number of potential NFTs appears limitless. Which is totally different from the physical world. Not to mention that the ability to hang a piece of artwork on a wall makes it easier to view/display. Whereas, if I want to show anyone my NBA HotShots clip or Beeples digital painting I need to fire up my laptop or show it on my phone?
My brother and a friend were into TopShot like crazy in the beginning of January. I couldn't be bothered as I didn't understand it or care to understand it. I eventually gave in and bought a few packs. I haven't put in the time or effort to research the challenges, values, etc. to make it work like they have. Fast forward to today and they have cooled on it. They've done well from a financial aspect, but with other sports and variations coming on, they don't see the trajectory they thought was there a few weeks ago.

Sorry, I don't understand NFTs. I get some of the bigger altcoins and would invest in Cardano and Polkadot if there is a trust or ETF option, but I don't get NFTs. So I'll be sticking with BTC, ETH, and my miners.

NFT's are cute. Whats sad is that the media has run with them as a cool new story. This greatly reminds me of BTC in late 2017. I think theyre here to stay, but like everything new, it's going to have its day of reckoning

NFT's are cute. Whats sad is that the media has run with them as a cool new story. This greatly reminds me of BTC in late 2017. I think theyre here to stay, but like everything new, it's going to have its day of reckoning
+1
BTC went through this in 2017 and caused a lot of damage to those newbie investors. In other news:

BTC breaks the 60k mark!!! It was just hovering within striking distance for the past week. Knew it was going to make a run for it. There is so much institutional momentum for BTC right now.

ETH was back up to 1900. Would like to see it get above 2000 and set a new plateau.

Reactions: Zimm80
It’s that time of year. I’m interested in perspectives on where to park bonus/LTI money. Thoughts?

It’s that time of year. I’m interested in perspectives on where to park bonus/LTI money. Thoughts?
My annual bonus and LTI hit last Friday, such great timing! We don't want to add to our cash reserves, so 50% when right into the market, bought at some crazy lows (our retirement accounts are maxed so this went into our E-Trade/brokerage account). The other half is still sitting in our checking account while we figure out what to do. It was an awesome year.....high BPF, high personal rating, stock popped. :)

What are you looking to do? Funds, ETFs, stocks, or cryptos?

Reactions: RUBlackout

I would invest it proportionately as per your target asset allocation. So if you have a max 5% of your portfolio in “play money” take 5% of the bonus and add to this. Same thing with your other asset classes.

I would invest it proportionately as per your target asset allocation. So if you have a max 5% of your portfolio in “play money” take 5% of the bonus and add to this. Same thing with your other asset classes.
Still a lot of great deals in the tech/growth area. Stick to your allocations, but take advantage of this opportunity. All of the big boys, except Apple, are undervalued (Google, Amazon, MSFT, and FB). Obviously, plenty of the ARK stocks are well off their highs and some are undervalued even based on traditional metrics.

Here is a great ETF that nicely covers the tech sector (IGM):

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/igm/portfolio

My annual bonus and LTI hit last Friday, such great timing! We don't want to add to our cash reserves, so 50% when right into the market, bought at some crazy lows (our retirement accounts are maxed so this went into our E-Trade/brokerage account). The other half is still sitting in our checking account while we figure out what to do. It was an awesome year.....high BPF, high personal rating, stock popped. :)

What are you looking to do? Funds, ETFs, stocks, or cryptos?
Mainly looking for low cost funds and ETFs. I’m already heavy in FAANG. Not too interested in crypto or highly speculative plays with this tranche of new money.

Mainly looking for low cost funds and ETFs. I’m already heavy in FAANG. Not too interested in crypto or highly speculative plays with this tranche of new money.
I would recommend checking out a semiconductor ETF. I'm bullish on this section. SOXX or XSD. I believe SOXX has been more consistent over the long run. I have SOXX in two accounts and XSD in one.

If you want to cover the value area, stay focused on small cap value (which overperforms large value). Check out VIOV for a nice index.

Preview of the week ahead. Friday was interesting, the Nasdaq started very low, but lightened the losses as the day went on. This happened while the bond yields were still rising. Is the market getting to an equilibrium with the new yields (which are still historically low)?

All of these failures/scams just show how advanced Tesla is with EVs.
More so then that I think these stories back up the notion that we need to be wary about the ambitious claims of these spacs.

On the converse side, consider the source, this is a short seller research firm. Where as the spacs themselves will often paint an overly rosy picture, these guys will focus only on the negative.

Now are any of these pre rev ev companies going to challenge TSLA in the next 5-10 years? Most likely not. That challenge will come from the legacy automakers.

Last edited:
Anyone else in on VIAC? One of my biggest winners and has grown into my largest position. Not the value play it once was, but still not looking overly expensive yet either.

Anyone else in on VIAC? One of my biggest winners and has grown into my largest position. Not the value play it once was, but still not looking overly expensive yet either.
Why would VIAC rally so much?

Have to admit, I bought a relatively large amount of RIOT at $37 two Friday's ago during the big morning crash. Plan to dump it once it doubles or comes close (via BTC popping) and reinvest into my crypto long plays. RIOT is a yo-yo and just follows BTC as a multiplier. Am I a trader now? LOL!

Last edited:
Now are any of these pre rev ev companies going to challenge TSLA in the next 5-10 years? Most likely not. That challenge will come from the legacy automakers.
Likely true in the US. I assume Nio will continue to be the big competition in China and other parts of Asia.

Reactions: RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT