ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse: snow capital of the US

oldtimer67

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2006
Posting this as a public service. I know there are those who post here who will feel justified by this information.

"Syracuse, which lies about 80 miles east of Rochester, takes the number 1 spot for being the snowiest city in the country. An estimated 127.8 inches, or nearly 11 feet, of snow fall on Syracuse each winter, largely due to lake-effect snow from Lake Ontario."

Imagine willingly paying $90K a year to go to a school that academically blows outside of their overrated Comm school, where it snows from early November to mid April every year.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Was up there for a wedding about a year ago. Based on how run down that city is (vagrants, drug zombies, and homeless) so a good percentage of that snow will be yellow snow 😉

Just like the old joke.

"There are only two seasons in Syracuse. Winter and July 25."
Meh I don't get the continued obsession with Syracuse. They're not in our conference anymore and no better than we are. And they don't mine New Jersey for talent anymore.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Posting this as a public service. I know there are those who post here who will feel justified by this information.

"Syracuse, which lies about 80 miles east of Rochester, takes the number 1 spot for being the snowiest city in the country. An estimated 127.8 inches, or nearly 11 feet, of snow fall on Syracuse each winter, largely due to lake-effect snow from Lake Ontario."
If only Rutgers were in Syracuse, lol. Also, fyi, that list is for cities with >50K in population, as there are plenty more smaller, more remote cities that get more snow.

https://www.foxweather.com/learn/7-snowiest-cities-in-united-states

on this snowQUOTE="RU848789, post: 6551102, member: 292"]
If only Rutgers were in Syracuse, lol. Also, fyi, that list is for cities with >50K in population, as there are plenty more smaller, more remote cities that get more snow.

I just knew there would be a response from numbers on this snow post. By the the way do you snow ski?
[/QUOTE]
Haven't in a few years, due to my knee, but I used to go a fair amount. Considering a knee replacement for that and other reasons...

That must be lower 48. Anchorage, Alaska must get more snow.

Doesn't look like Anchorage does. Valdez on the other hand ...

As numbers said, Syracuse is most for larger cities but plenty of smaller cities, towns and places that get more.

Even then, I think they are likely expanding the geographic reach of Syracuse to make them fit this list.

My experience in traveling through that area quite a bit is that the downtown area of Syracuse is less impacted by a lot of the lake effect snows but if you go north of the city, especially to around the Pulaski area, the snow totals can get nuts.

Came up at a work dinner last night. Coworker’s son visited Udel and Cuse in April. Udel was 70 degrees and sun. Cuse was 24 degrees and light snow.

Went with Delaware and couldn’t understand how anyone would go to Cuse.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Came up at a work dinner last night. Coworker’s son visited Udel and Cuse in April. Udel was 70 degrees and sun. Cuse was 24 degrees and light snow.

Their Newhouse School of Communications is the gold standard. Don't know about other areas of study.

Newhouse is gold, if that's the goal, I understand going. If anything else, no clue what the appeal would be.

Decrepit, depressing area. Super expensive. Sports are good but not great. Campus life not that good. Campus itself is nice, but nothing crazy. Snow for 6 months a year. Grey and cloudy 6 months a year. Upstate NY people - nice, but certainly different than NJ.

I just knew there would be a response from numbers on this snow post. By the the way do you snow ski?
Haven't in a few years, due to my knee, but I used to go a fair amount. Considering a knee replacement for that and other reasons...
[/QUOTE]
Knee replacement is the way to go. Should have done five years sooner.

Are they from NJ? Did he get into RU?

They think they do

They probably try, but facts are we beat them 8 of the last 11 meetings in football and beat them last time in bball as well as going to the tournament recently.

We're ranked 20 spots ahead of them academically.

I am not really sure what they're selling. Why wouldn't a NY kid save money and go to Binghamton?

They probably try, but facts are we beat them 8 of the last 11 meetings in football and beat them last time in bball as well as going to the tournament recently.

I am not really sure what they're selling. Why wouldn't a NY kid save money and go to Binghamton?
NY kids are better off going to SUNY Binghamton or Stony Brook. If they insist on a private from upstate, U of Rochester.

NY kids are better off going to SUNY Binghamton or Stony Brook. If they insist on a private from upstate, U of Rochester.
Or even Ithaca no? They have some world class media and entertainment programs from what I understand. Not sure of the pricing though so could be just as expensive.

Reactions: bigmatt718

I occasionally look at the NJ fb players they recruit, and who they sign, to see if we were in competition for those players

More often than not, we are not listed as a possibility for a recruit, and not beaten out for the player, usually we are not interested

I try to figure out if we are overlooking a good possibility, but again we are not in most cases
They are competing for lesser players against lesser programs

Meh I don't get the continued obsession with Syracuse. They're not in our conference anymore and no better than we are. And they don't mine New Jersey for talent anymore.
It's more driven by the fact that the majority of people who go there are assclowns. Being a perpetual assclown is conference agnostic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT