ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UCF vs Notre Dame for CFP

One is a famous and popular university...the other one is a giant directional commuter school!

...ta da!

Reactions: drewbagel423
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Good article that talks about how UCF beat Pitt by 31 while Note Dame beat them by 5 yet ND is headed to the playoff and UCF has no chance.

This is a good example of a play in type game where a UCF would play a ND or other top team on the fringe.

I don't have a problem with Notre Dame being ahead of UCF in the rankings. I do have an issue where they aren't ranked in the top 10 and have a 22-game winning streak, which includes a win last year over a team who defeated both teams who played for the national championship. The "weak schedule" nonsense is an excuse to leave one of the top teams in the country out of the conversation because they play in the wrong conference. If the weak schedule is a legitmate reason, why is Clemson second when they've only played two ranked teams? UCF should be no lower than #7, but they can't put them that high because they could slip into the playoffs from that spot.

ii think many fans who are not fans of ND or UCF just want to be entertained with the best teams playing. A 6 or 8 team playoff would solve this but the big colleges and big bowls fight it.

Reactions: Shark19
Only those with the right pedigree need apply. Actual talent is not enough to break that glass ceiling. :chairshot:

Notre Dame has two top 25 wins and could get a 3rd tomorrow. They also beat Navy by 22 while UCF beat them by 11.

UCF has no wins over ranked teams. Even if they beat Cincinnati tomorrow, that will only put Cincinnati out of the top 25 so that stat won't change. They have not been putting away mediocre teams like Temple or Memphis.

Bottom line, names of the schools aside, the ND resume THIS YEAR is better than UCF's.

Reactions: brgRC90
Found these parts the most interesting.
More evidence that coaching up players happens - and has to happen at a school like Rutgers:

He said he had offers from only Hawaii and Navy coming out of high school and was a 3-star recruit whom then-Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost tried to convince Ducks coach Mark Helfrich to sign. Helfrich passed. Frost later left Oregon to take the UCF job, and his first call was to Milton to fly nearly halfway across the world to visit Orlando and the Central Florida campus.

"I wanted [Milton] to know you didn't have to be a big recruit to do big things," Heupel says.

I think ND loses tomorrow but I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing

UCF beat AUBURN last year - the SEC champ who beat Alabama.

The "weak schedule" thing doesn't fly as an excuse. They were a great team last year if you know more than stats and polls. They might be this year in the end

CFB playoffs are still junk.

The ESPN Invitational, I mean playoff is exactly that - if they don't want you, you're not going. Simple as that. Notre Dame brings in 10x as many viewers to the playoff as UCF would (in the eyes of ESPN) .. really, I think the CFB world would be 10x more tuned in and interested if UCF was in it. But that's not what the financial experts think. And you're insane if at least one person on the committee has a direct link to ESPN's banking records and goals for them.

If UCF wants a shot at the CFP playoff they have to upgrade their schedule like lots of other programs have been urged to.

I cannot fault anybody for UCF not being in the playoffs. How they came up with a four-team system when there are five major conferences and the likes of Boise State and Cincinnati outside of those conferences is beyond me.

And don't think the bowls would object to an eight-team playoff. We've already trashed tradition when it comes to major bowls (except in some years the Rose) so why not just make the traditional major bowls the quarterfinals? With the focus on the CFP, the "major" bowls already are becoming a mere distraction for a lot of people, and that's kind of sad. But you put two of the top eight teams in the nation playing for a spot in the national semifinals, and suddenly a lot of people are watching that Orange Bowl.

Either go eight teams or select four AFTER New Year's Day. Either way what used to be major bowls would be major bowls again, and you have a more legit playoff than four teams chosen the way they are now.

Go to an 8 team playoff.

• Winners of the p5
  • Top ranked team of the non p5 (must be ranked in the top 15)
  • Next 2 top ranked.

Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT