ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA v Honduras WC Qualifier (Yes, we're talking about the game, LIVE!)

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
This team looks God-awful right now. 7 subs didn't seem to make a big of difference. Being completely dominated by Honduras.

...and WTF is with the Kazoos??? Seriously??

Reactions: JCKnight
Damn, I have FIOS Ultimate HD (their highest level package that includes ALL movie channels) AND I have the Sports package but I turn to the BeIN channel and get a screen that says I don't have this channel. What the heck?

Damn, I have FIOS Ultimate HD (their highest level package that includes ALL movie channels) AND I have the Sports package but I turn to the BeIN channel and get a screen that says I don't have this channel. What the heck?
I have FIOS channel 596 in HD

FiOS 596

I have it, and I know I don't have any ultimate package or anything like that.

This is God-awful. These guys look like they've already packed it in and are saying to themselves "we'll get 6 vs Panama and Trinidad and see where things fall." #sad

** Honduras still has Costa Rica and Mexico, following tonight, but Mexico definitely would be able to "throw" their finale vs Honduras to screw us (if need be...).

Reactions: JCKnight

Oops. My mistake.

The message said it WAS part of my package and that I had to hit ENTER to watch it at no additional charge.

Reactions: MikeR0102
This is God-awful. These guys look like they've already packed it in and are saying to themselves "we'll get 6 vs Panama and Trinidad and see where things fall." #sad

** Honduras still has Costa Rica and Mexico, following tonight, but Mexico definitely would be able to "throw" their finale vs Honduras to screw us (if need be...).
I don't understand the US offensive strategy...we don't know how to keep possession...why does Guzan constantly punt the ball back to Honduras to give back possession? This is about as frustrating to watch as an Eddie Jordan coached basketball team...

Reactions: colbert17
Ok. Not on fios. Have to download. How is this game not on ESPN or FS1?
I'm pretty sure the home team has the broadcast rights to the game and they sell it to the US market. Maybe ESPN didn't want to pay the price or the Hondurans worked out some other deal. Away games have been a pain in the ass to watch for years.

Mexico kind of owes us one after the last cycle. They wouldn't have gotten to the 2-legged playoff vs New Zealand without Graham Zusi.

Actually have to worry more about Panama. I'm assuming they take care of T&T tonight so our next game is vs Panama at home, which is just about a 3rd place decider (assuming the Costa Rica/Mexico games go to form).

This team is very disappointing.They're just not that good.

I'm pretty sure the home team has the broadcast rights to the game and they sell it to the US market. Maybe ESPN didn't want to pay the price or the Hondurans worked out some other deal. Away games have been a pain in the ass to watch for years.
I believe it is a B12 kind of thing where the big fish (the US (Fox) and Mexico (ESPN)) have their own separate deal for US rights, but the rest of CONCACAF sold them to BeIN as a package.

Arena makes a lot of questionable lineup decisions. Yesterday I heard the announcer talk about how Arena said he expects Howard to be healthy for the WC next year.

It seems that he puts a team together mostly by picking the players he has used in the past, regardless of their current form.

Don't worry. In 20-30 years, US Mens Soccer will be good since kids don't play football anymore.

Last edited:
This surprises you?
Against top competion we never have the ball and never pressure the ball...Honduras is not a top team.
"Puck luck" and long runs is our style...disappointing, boring and void of ball skills.

Yes, I realize all our guys are great soccer players with incredible skill...but so does the 100th ranked tennis player, what happens 99% of the time when they play a top player?

Arena makes a lot of questionable lineup decisions. Yesterday I heard the announcer talk about how Arena said he expects Howard to be healthy for the WC next year.

It seems that he puts a team together mostly by picking the players he has used in the past, regardless of their current form.

This sounds a lot like what everyone said about Klinsman. More of the same I guess. I thought people were saying things would change.

The only comfort I can find in our play during the Hex is that Mexico stunk worse than this in the 2014 Hex. They needed a miracle to get in the playoff with Asia and have fared pretty well since then. Maybe we can qualify and rebound in 2018.

I don't understand the US offensive strategy...we don't know how to keep possession...why does Guzan constantly punt the ball back to Honduras to give back possession? This is about as frustrating to watch as an Eddie Jordan coached basketball team...

Yes, the game was really hard to watch. But given the conditions - heat, tall grass, hacking
I believe it is a B12 kind of thing where the big fish (the US (Fox) and Mexico (ESPN)) have their own separate deal for US rights, but the rest of CONCACAF sold them to BeIN as a package.

That's correct. Each team has the rights to their home games.

The USMNT isn't the only team in a messy spot (no pun intended). Argentina currently sits 5th and 2 time Copa America champ Chile sits 6th in South America. (4 spots plus a playoff) Can you imagine the World Cup without Messi.....it could happen.
Hopefully for the last 2 qualifiers, Brooks and Yedlin are healthy, so that we have seen the last of Zusi in the back. Team as a whole (other than Pulisic) needs more pace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT