ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why the real estate market is not in a bubble: Q1 2023 update video added to OP

25 years ago a garage cost $500K in Palo Alto. Making $400k in Silicon Valley is pretty average. Just so expensive to live there.

Anecdotal but my cousin who is a Sr Software Engineer for Meta cleared 400k at 28 in salary, bonus, and stock. Lives in the Bay Area. Out here it’s not uncommon at all to clear 200k+ annually in early/mid 30s.
How much do you think a person can afford to buy with a salary of 400k or 200k?

I'm seeing this in my neighborhood
Where is this money coming from?

Inheritance?
Parents gifting before death?
Great jobs?
Over leveraging?
A third of home owners in this country have no mortgage
Another third have an average of 300k of equity
Boomers giving their inheritance to kids

A lot of people with money out there...

Reactions: Steve91562
I can speak from personal perspective. In December, we bought a starter home about 1400 ft.² in Roseland for about $740,000. It was listed at $649,000. Could we have a far bigger house for more money? Sure. However, currently it is just two of us and we get married in November we had no need for bigger space. Bigger space just means more headaches and more problems and higher utility costs at least thats how we saw it

1400 sf for $740,000 in Roseland is bonkers

1400 sf for $740,000 in Roseland is bonkers

Market value for anything move in ready here. You get top 10 schools and top 10 public school sports all for $8K/yr in property taxes. Hard to beat.
Had to look it up as I knew the name but wasn’t 100% on location.

Doesn’t seem too far of a train to the City either?

And your “as we saw it” was correct.👍

7 minutes to the orange train which is 30 minutes to New York Penn Station. Theres bus’s too, I go by train.

It's my home High School district (I'm from North Caldwell). Roseland is a nice, normal boring town with good schools, and that it costs 3 quarters of a million for a starter home there is just a sign of the insane times we live in wrt housing.

It's my home High School district (I'm from North Caldwell). Roseland is a nice, normal boring town with good schools, and that it costs 3 quarters of a million for a starter home there is just a sign of the insane times we live in wrt housing.
But @KK1827 mentioned the reasons why.

And “boring” IMO = safe.

Same for where I am too.

Reactions: miket007 and KK1827
Well a starter home in North Caldwell is now over $1,000,000 haha. I had a client bid $975K on a 3 bedroom ranch at 25 White Oak and come in 5th place. When did you graduate west essex? I of course went there as well 2009 grad.

Well a starter home in North Caldwell is now over $1,000,000 haha. I had a client bid $975K on a 3 bedroom ranch at 25 White Oak and come in 5th place. When did you graduate west essex? I of course went there as well 2009 grad.
WOW! So to afford that, you’d need $333K in household income, correct?

WOW! So to afford that, you’d need $333K in household income, correct?
Depends on if youre a dual household income, downpayment amount, etc. But yeah, pretty much. It’s fairly common in this area for dual households incomes to have that level of income. All it takes it one spouse making $200K and another making $150K. Alot of Rutgers grads in their 30’s are making at least that

Reactions: rutgersal
And this is my house that we bought in December. Starter home. Sales price went down as $739,500 but it was really $725K as I credited my commission of $14,500 towards sales price. We got a good deal imo. If i listed it today I’d list it at $699K and likely get around $800K. Spring market has been bananas here

For an Essex county town those taxes are exceptional.

I worked in that area from 1980 until about 1987.

They built a townhouse complex on Eagle Rock at the time which had a portion of low income units. The tax assessor told me that almost every low income unit was sold to a contractor/ plumber/ electrician etc from town.
The benefit of having a business and reporting your own income.

Reactions: KK1827
For an Essex county town those taxes are exceptional.

I worked in that area from 1980 until about 1987.

They built a townhouse complex on Eagle Rock at the time which had a portion of low income units. The tax assessor told me that almost every low income unit was sold to a contractor/ plumber/ electrician etc from town.
The benefit of having a business and reporting your own income.
Yeah, great taxes for essex county.

98 lol I'm old. Go knights

Reactions: KK1827
My mom sold her house in North Caldwell a few years ago and got just under 500. Too bad she didn't hold out a little longer lol

If you guys want to know what the housing market is like in 2024…

A client of mine waived appraisal and inspection and bid 15% over asking price in…New Brunswick. We won. Nearly paying $100k over asking with a 8% rate

Reactions: TRU2RU
And this is my house that we bought in December. Starter home. Sales price went down as $739,500 but it was really $725K as I credited my commission of $14,500 towards sales price. We got a good deal imo. If i listed it today I’d list it at $699K and likely get around $800K. Spring market has been bananas here

That is a great buy in a great area.

The only thing I don’t like about 1950s construction is the orangeburg sewer pipes and federal pacific breakers. But I am sure that has been addressed by now on these homes

That is a great buy in a great area.

The only thing I don’t like about 1950s construction is the orangeburg sewer pipes and federal pacific breakers. But I am sure that has been addressed by now on these homes
Yeah, we scoped the sewer line and all new electric service

Reactions: Plum Street
Housing is once again getting out of control. A new community in my county increased its base price from 790K to 880K within 3 months.

A house in my town sat on the market for 6 months in 2022 with the price reduced from $1.6M to $1.4; eventually selling for $1.4. It went back on the market a couple of weeks ago with some cosmetic upgrades. It listed at $1.9M. It’s already under contract.

W
T
F

A house in my town sat on the market for 6 months in 2022 with the price reduced from $1.6M to $1.4; eventually selling for $1.4. It went back on the market a couple of weeks ago with some cosmetic upgrades. It listed at $1.9M. It’s already under contract.

W
T
F
I tried tell anyone who would listen back in 2022 that housing market wasn't in a bubble at that time or about to tank.

And now I'm here to tell you that in the latter half of 2025, rent growth will accelerate above historic norms. While I was skeptical of claims by people that high interest rates were inflationary, I'm more open to the idea now. When you consider that rents are the single largest input into inflation measures and that new permits have fallen off a cliff for 5+ unit multi-family (because interest rates are too high for builders to build) all while we have record absorption rates, rent growth is gonna accelerate again in late 2025.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I tried tell anyone who would listen back in 2022 that housing market wasn't in a bubble at that time or about to tank.

And now I'm here to tell you that in the latter half of 2025, rent growth will accelerate above historic norms. While I was skeptical of claims by people that high interest rates were inflationary, I'm more open to the idea now. When you consider that rents are the single largest input into inflation measures and that new permits have fallen off a cliff for 5+ unit multi-family (because interest rates are too high for builders to build) all while we have record absorption rates, rent growth is gonna accelerate again in late 2025.
I totally agreed with you and appreciate your analysis back in 2022.
What do you think of the housing market in 2025/26? Are the prices going to continue surging unless there is a rapid rate cut? Do you see a 10% pullback?

you were right in 2022, great call

I do not believe higher rates are inflationary however, I see it as credit keeps expanding and that is the issue

it's going to break, just not sure when

I totally agreed with you and appreciate your analysis back in 2022.
What do you think of the housing market in 2025/26? Are the prices going to continue surging unless there is a rapid rate cut? Do you see a 10% pullback?
Well, if theres a rapid rate cut, traditionally that would lead to an acceleration of sfh prices. I think in this environment even moreso. Theres really no data right now showing that home prices are facing much downward pressure. Now of course there are some very small pockets of the US that are facing minimal downward pressure but it’s really a simple supply/demand story. Markets that have beeb flooded with supply of new construction are really the only ones facing any downward pressures. Florida is dealing with an insurance issue but theyre doing okay despite that.

Locally in NJ? Barring some kind of exogenous shock, prices will continue moving upward and accelerate above norms upward as rates come down. For example, if you woke up tomorrow and mortgage rates were 5%, i think things would get crazy.

I put out my monthly newsletter on a similar topic last week if you wanna give it a read. https://mailchi.mp/0751724c7b91/cha...ng-for-rates-to-fall-before-buying-their-home

Reactions: RUDeac
Well, if theres a rapid rate cut, traditionally that would lead to an acceleration of sfh prices. I think in this environment even moreso. Theres really no data right now showing that home prices are facing much downward pressure. Now of course there are some very small pockets of the US that are facing minimal downward pressure but it’s really a simple supply/demand story. Markets that have beeb flooded with supply of new construction are really the only ones facing any downward pressures. Florida is dealing with an insurance issue but theyre doing okay despite that.

Locally in NJ? Barring some kind of exogenous shock, prices will continue moving upward and accelerate above norms upward as rates come down. For example, if you woke up tomorrow and mortgage rates were 5%, i think things would get crazy.

I put out my monthly newsletter on a similar topic last week if you wanna give it a read. https://mailchi.mp/0751724c7b91/cha...ng-for-rates-to-fall-before-buying-their-home
Rate cuts would make this market insane

Reactions: KK1827 and RU205

There was a poster here by the name of kyk that called it too !

It would also unlock supply
what supply? all rate cuts will do is make the prices go higher

Until you see a forced reduction in the credit expansion and a break in employment, sticky inflation is here which is why the Fed needs to raise rates and force much higher reserve requirements on the banks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT