ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wife expecting 10/7/18, need Pediatrician recommendations

Doteman

Senior
Mar 15, 2007
We are expecting our first, a little girl. We live in Piscataway and would like to find a pediatrician close to home, we both work in New Brunswick. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I've already bought some Rutgers gear for our girl, good thing is my wife and I are both Rutgers alum/fans.

We are expecting our first, a little girl. We live in Piscataway and would like to find a pediatrician close to home, we both work in New Brunswick. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I've already bought some Rutgers gear for our girl, good thing is my wife and I are both Rutgers alum/fans.

http://www.newbrunswickpediatricgroup.com/

Reactions: Doteman
I'm not in your area, so I can't recommend anyone. But I will say you and your wife should go and check out the doctors and facilities before deciding on who you should have. Also would not hurt if they have ........ what's the word, damnit, they can go into the hospital your wife will be giving birth in. There's a word for it which won't come to mind. Anyway, that is important as we came to find out: our youngest was born 3 weeks premature via emergency c-section and ended up in NICU for around 5-6 days. Obviously the staff there can handle it, but it helps to have the pediatrician visit so they know exactly what's going on.

But getting back to checking out the docs and facs, definitely do it. We initially went with a local group that was recommended to us, but after 2-3 months were not happy with their procedures. We switched over to another group with several facilities and have been with them ever since.

I'm not in your area, so I can't recommend anyone. But I will say you and your wife should go and check out the doctors and facilities before deciding on who you should have. Also would not hurt if they have ........ what's the word, damnit, they can go into the hospital your wife will be giving birth in. There's a word for it which won't come to mind. Anyway, that is important as we came to find out: our youngest was born 3 weeks premature via emergency c-section and ended up in NICU for around 5-6 days. Obviously the staff there can handle it, but it helps to have the pediatrician visit so they know exactly what's going on.

But getting back to checking out the docs and facs, definitely do it. We initially went with a local group that was recommended to us, but after 2-3 months were not happy with their procedures. We switched over to another group with several facilities and have been with them ever since.

"hospital privileges"

Pediatric Associates
326 Main St, Metuchen, NJ 08840
(732) 767-0630

There are 3 Drs. in the practice. Drs Santiago and Rosenblum are awesome. Dr Lebovic not so much.

Have been with them since first child was born 11 years ago. Always seen same day when we called for a sick visit.
Like Spanky said, call them all now and see who accepts your insurance, where they have hospital privileges, what their hours are, etc. For me, it would be important to know where they stand on vaccinations. If they support anti-vax in any way I would run away.

I have three boys at University Pediatrics in Highland Park (another office in East Brunswick). Would fit your geographic needs perfectly. I've been happy with them for 10 yrs.

Congrats

Princeton Nassau pediatrics is probably too far away from you in Princeton ...but if not, very much recommend them ...I have a 13 and 11 year old sons and been going there since day one

I'm going to be honest with you - it won't matter what any of the men on this message board say or think about pediatricians. And unless there is a problem it won't matter much what the pediatrician at the hospital has to say. What will matter is what your wife experiences the first time she goes to their office with the baby.

Somerset Pediatrics in Somerset is great. Dr. Patel couldn't be better to our 2 boys. We tried Raritan and Bridgewater and like her by far the best.
I've had good experiences with Abraham (Rutgers fan and alum), Fritz, Ferrante, Ebel, Trend

My advice to you, make sure you are wearing a Rutgers football t-shirt of some sort during delivery. It makes for a memorable photo

I have 4 of my 5 kids being held by me for the first time wearing the block R, (one time missed wearing t-shirt due to emergency delivery)

few others mentioned them but somerset peds in somerset is very good... before we were expecting our first we went to an open house so we can learn more about their practice before committing; maybe that is something you want to ask them out.

they offer 24/7 (i think) nurse support over the phone if you need someone to call and they have one office open 365 days a year (bridgewater or raritan i think). the somerset office is on worlds fair drive/easton ave intersection; very close to 287 exit 10.

I’m an ob gyn. Congrats. You won’t have any problem finding pediatricians with privileges where you deliver. Personally I don’t feel like it’s very important. If god forbid your child is born early they really have very little to do with their care. I’ve never thought of it as much of an issue as I deliver many who don’t have pediatricians with privileges where I work. Best of luck. Gotta love what we use these message boards for !

Dr. Maritza Santiago at Pediatric Associates in Metuchen, right near the old Forum theater on Main St. 732-767-0630. She has two partners who are also good. They are very nice and took care of my three daughters. The girls as they got older really loved Dr. Santiago. Best of luck to you, your wife and your new baby daughter.

Reactions: Doteman and TreyA
I’m an ob gyn. Congrats. You won’t have any problem finding pediatricians with privileges where you deliver. Personally I don’t feel like it’s very important. If god forbid your child is born early they really have very little to do with their care. I’ve never thought of it as much of an issue as I deliver many who don’t have pediatricians with privileges where I work. Best of luck. Gotta love what we use these message boards for !
Absolutely agree. But, as the pediatrician who had been seeing our oldest boy for 2+ years, he had a lot to do with giving my wife peace of mind. Nothing against her ob gyns and the hospital staff, but it was a huge help having him there reassuring her.

Although RWJ has improved in many ways I would still want to deliver at ST. Peters. I am a bit biased, but my experiences there when I delivered my kids was extremely traumatic. I won't go into the gory details, but my son was rushed into their NICU and was given a very poor prognosis(he is physically OK now). My daughter had a fractured skull after 22 hours of labor(used vacuum suction, and forceps), and I had 4th degree laceration, and went into shock from all the blood loss I guess.
ST. Peters staff was outstanding in many ways, and I have heard they still are.
Usually your OB/GYN works along with some pediatricians that they can recommend.
Good luck with everything, and make sure to be extra supportive to your wife!

If we have a game that day you're in for a load of crap.

I've had good experiences with Abraham (Rutgers fan and alum), Fritz, Ferrante, Ebel, Trend

Another vote for Dr. Abraham - Somerset Pediatrics in Somerville. He was my sons pediatrician until he aged out. I remember talking to him about RU football during appointments. Don't know if he still is but he was a season ticket holder for football.

My wife and I opted for RWJ Pediatrics - also in Somerset and literally 2-3 blocks away from Somerset Pediatrics. My wife didn't deliver locally - we went to CHOP as my son was diagnosed early with congenital heart defects, so that played no factor, though we've spent many a night since then at Bristol Myers Squibb Children's Hospital.

The RWJ Group is all pretty solid, though my favorite peds are Elizabeth Goodman, Elsie Roca, Emanuel Lerner. Remember that you're looking for a peds group, not a single doc. Kids get sick in the quickest way at the most inopportune moments, so you need a sizeable practice that can take you at an instant's notice and not tell you that you can bring your sick kid in next week.

I'm going to be honest with you - it won't matter what any of the men on this message board say or think about pediatricians. And unless there is a problem it won't matter much what the pediatrician at the hospital has to say. What will matter is what your wife experiences the first time she goes to their office with the baby.
What is this, 1950? Do you never bring your kids to pediatrician and rely on your wife to do everything? If you're talking about finding an OB, sure, 98% of the time it's her choice. But as a parent, you should certainly have an opinion about your child's pediatric practice.

Affiliation is the word, I think, you’re looking for.

Have to say I agree (I have 3 sons. 6, 4 and 2). It’s nice when docs from your home practice are among the first to see your newborn. With my third, our pediatrician was actually on rounds, so she saw the little guy before he even had a name.

A few other things to keep in mind...
1) find an office close to you. It’s not a big deal to for scheduled check ups, but if the kid is sick, last thing you want is to have a 40 minute drive in traffic.
2) find a doc that works every day, or almost every day. The doc I mentioned above was amazing, but she was only in the office on Mon and Wed. Again, not an issue for scheduled appts, but we had a rough winter 2 years ago where everyone kept getting sick, and we pretty much only saw the other docs in the practice. We ended up switching after that, as much as we liked her.
3) with that said, all our docs belong to summit medical group, and they have really great after hours pediatrics, which has come in handy many times. You can get sick appointments until 9p on weekdays, and all day on Sat and Sun. Look for a practice that has something like that if you can. Ear infections, pink eye, and high fevers like to come at inconvient times

Congrats!

Dr. Chang-Il L. Cho, pediatrician, Korean born and trained, with privileges @ JFK. Old school, caring, no nonsense, treated our children as if his own. He does not deliver.. Dr. Perganzer in Warren is who you want in the delivery room.. the best if he'll take you..
Rgds,
Phil

Good advice. ALWAYS bring the Baby.

Since I'm of little help with the ask - my recommendation would be Tiefenbrun, Fortin and Tuck of East Brunswick - I'll just point out that 10/7 is my birthday.

So... if your little girl is actually born on her due date, I'll buy you a bottle of bourbon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT