ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup should be sudden death overtime as long as it takes.

I like how all the people who never follow the sport want to change the rules the most. Stay in your own lane.

These guys are gassed after running so much for 2 hours. Taking guys off is just as much changing the game as are PKs. I don't 9 on 9 to determine a winner.

I like how all the people who never follow the sport want to change the rules the most. Stay in your own lane.

These guys are gassed after running so much for 2 hours. Taking guys off is just as much changing the game as are PKs. I don't 9 on 9 to determine a winner.
When rules are stupid, they should change. Lots of soccer rules are stupid. Time to make improvements.

Reactions: Saint Puppy

Followed and played soccer for a long time and want to change the PK rule badly. With 26 players per side, playing sudden death until someone scores doesn't seem unreasonable, as long as unlimited substitutions were allowed, say, after the first 30 minutes. The fundamental point is the game should be decided by playing the game, period - extra subs is a tiny change to the game compared to the immense change of going to PKs.

I agree, and for every sport/event. No gimmicky overtime mechanism for me. Either call it a tie or keep playing.

Also, I don't think ties are evil, as most people do. The tie must be broken in a tournament, but otherwise, if two teams play a full game and nobody wins -- then so be it. I don't need an "exciting" way to pretend one team beat the other, when neither did...

Followed and played soccer for a long time and want to change the PK rule badly. With 26 players per side, playing sudden death until someone scores doesn't seem unreasonable, as long as unlimited substitutions were allowed, say, after the first 30 minutes. The fundamental point is the game should be decided by playing the game, period - extra subs is a tiny change to the game compared to the immense change of going to PKs.
Disagree. You know the rules going in and can plan accordingly. Throwing every player into the game at some point is just as bad.

It's not about mileage. Any good athlete and do that distance with ease. It's about max effort and physical battles with opposing players. Add 10-15 extra pound of gear and keeping your balance while doing it all.

Sorry, bottom line Hockey >>>>>> Soccer regarding stamina.
Hockey is for pussies. Have to wear a bunch of pads to figure skate for 1-2 min at a time.

Disagree. You know the rules going in and can plan accordingly. Throwing every player into the game at some point is just as bad.
T is a troll as are a few others in this thread. I am not. It's fair to disagree, but I have a hard time understanding how you think PKs bear any resemblance to the actual game vs. simply modifying sub rules, which still preserves the actual game. And hopefully, the game wouldn't go more than another 30 minutes, but if it did, it would be great fun to watch.

I agree, and for every sport/event. No gimmicky overtime mechanism for me. Either call it a tie or keep playing.

Also, I don't think ties are evil, as most people do. The tie must be broken in a tournament, but otherwise, if two teams play a full game and nobody wins -- then so be it. I don't need an "exciting" way to pretend one team beat the other, when neither did...
Same here - ties aren't an issue for me, except in elimination games and for those, play the game to decide.

Reactions: cshelley
Rule changes that should occur:

- Overtime should be sudden death like hockey for the sanity of all and for the physical health of all. If no one scores in 30 minutes then PKs

- Add a 2nd ref. Ridiculous only 1 ref during games

- Give yellow cards for these players faking injuries like they’re dying. It’s comical

- Somehow open up the game so more offense is added. 0-0 / 1-0 games are consistently boring

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
T is a troll as are a few others in this thread. I am not. It's fair to disagree, but I have a hard time understanding how you think PKs bear any resemblance to the actual game vs. simply modifying sub rules, which still preserves the actual game. And hopefully, the game wouldn't go more than another 30 minutes, but if it did, it would be great fun to watch.
I know you're not a troll.

I think I'm probably in the minority on this as well but I don't need to see gassed players running back and forth. I also don't want to see additional subs as it's just changing players for the sake of it. I want to see the best every team has to offer and then when they know there's a certain amount of time left they can go for it. Do we really want to see Argentina and France defenders coming in late today to determine the winner?

- Overtime should be sudden death like hockey for the sanity of all and for the physical health of all. If no one scores in 30 minutes then PKs

- Give yellow cards for these players faking injuries like they’re dying. It’s comical

- Somehow open up the game so more offense is added. 0-0 / 1-0 games are consistently boring
How about this for flopped and faking injuries? If you go down for more the 15 seconds and claim you are hurt, you gotta leave the game for 10 mins. That would instantly clean up this mess.

Reactions: dconifer
I know you're not a troll.

I think I'm probably in the minority on this as well but I don't need to see gassed players running back and forth. I also don't want to see additional subs as it's just changing players for the sake of it. I want to see the best every team has to offer and then when they know there's a certain amount of time left they can go for it. Do we really want to see Argentina and France defenders coming in late today to determine the winner?
Would you be up for another 30 minutes of play with a few more subs allowed? I get there is probably some limit (2 hours?) for players who don't get subbed out and having all subs in and not the starters is probably sub-optimal, but I just hate PKs to end the game (even though they are exciting). I'm also curious what players think of shootouts. Haven't really seen any good articles on that (have looked).

Would you be up for another 30 minutes of play with a few more subs allowed? I get there is probably some limit (2 hours?) for players who don't get subbed out and having all subs in and not the starters is probably sub-optimal, but I just hate PKs to end the game (even though they are exciting). I'm also curious what players think of shootouts. Haven't really seen any good articles on that (have looked).
There is no perfect answer. Which is why pks seem to be the most convenient and least terrible. The idea of having a game decided by pens actually push teams to try to win in AET. Everyone knows that the shootout is a coin flip situation. When you have games that can go forever, teams hunker down to not lose and hope the other team makes a mistake. Adding an additional 30 min would require adding 3 or 4 more subs over the course of AET, which means subbing out basically all outfield players over 150 minutes. No point in doing that either. Also lets teams with deep benches play the war of attrition and wait out their opponents, which is not entertaining either.

Reactions: Zak57
Comparing soccer and hockey is pretty pointless. They are such completely different sports and the substitution rules are on exact opposite sides of the spectrum

Soccer and hockey have some important things in common - offside(s) and goalies.

But I'm not sure whether to be amused or annoyed by the people who don't understand soccer and feel a need to change the rules of the game. Regarding PKs, everyone hates PKs as the way to decide important games. However, when one considers the options, PKs turn out to be the least-worst choice.

The kicks taken after regulation play and the overtime periods are technically "kicks from the penalty mark".

There's really only one rule I'd like to see tested in soccer and that's a hockey style offside rule from the top of the box. So you can play an offside trap before that but once the team gets the ball into the box - no more offsides. I think that would really liven it up but I'd like to see it tried to understand what happens.

Using PKs to end a game is like having a field goal contest or home run derby to decide games. I know why it's done but it still seems unnatural

Play 'the game' til there's a winner. Especially when deciding a world championship. There's no tomorrow to save your energy for, play til you drop

Penalties are a terrible way to end meaningful games. All that effort comes down to a lot of luck. Often the goalie just guesses right or left and hopes he’s correct and deflects the ball.
It's far from luck.... guessing correctly on direction is absolutely no guarantee of anything as was demonstrated well yesterday.

There is no perfect answer. Which is why pks seem to be the most convenient and least terrible. The idea of having a game decided by pens actually push teams to try to win in AET. Everyone knows that the shootout is a coin flip situation. When you have games that can go forever, teams hunker down to not lose and hope the other team makes a mistake. Adding an additional 30 min would require adding 3 or 4 more subs over the course of AET, which means subbing out basically all outfield players over 150 minutes. No point in doing that either. Also lets teams with deep benches play the war of attrition and wait out their opponents, which is not entertaining either.
I disagree. Pks are not a coin flip. They are a good measure of the ability of a team to put the ball in the net...a fundamental soccer skill. Going in everyone who knew anything about these teams knew Argentina would very likely win a shootout. As expected they did. I hate games ending this way as much as most but let's be honest about it. As much as i hate Argentina, they deserved it.

There's really only one rule I'd like to see tested in soccer and that's a hockey style offside rule from the top of the box. So you can play an offside trap before that but once the team gets the ball into the box - no more offsides. I think that would really liven it up but I'd like to see it tried to understand what happens.
How would that work on balls from outside the box going into the box? This is where most offsides calls happen. Once the ball is already inside the box, defending is usually a mad scramble... guys aren't trying to trap the other team.

Reactions: fg7321

Not bad. 👍

With the size of the field it’s not like they would be in the way.

They play for 1 minute at a time and under 20min total during regulation.
Not even close in comparison to soccer players being on the field for 120min (and potentially longer).

Soccer would have to allow unlimited subs and more importantly allow players to return after being subbed out.
Let Messi take a 10min break and then return for example.
and not being able to use your hands at all makes soccer different than any other sport. The goal looks so big unitl you get in front of it with 11 trying to stop you. People who have not played will never understand that

Reactions: rutger80
Soccer is as much entertainment as it is competitive sport, more imbalanced in that way than any other sport (except for ‘pro’ wrestling of course).

The, let’s call it officiating for now, is as much about enhancing entertainment as it is about rules. That’s why a match looks a lot like a barnyard full of fainting goats. The players are angling for entertainment edge and the scoring chances that allows.

It’s also why they don’t stop the game at 90’. They keep the entertainment going as long as they reasonably can and always allow a last scoring chance. Same as an ‘extra’ few encore songs at the end of a concert.

If you realize entertainment and heightened drama is the objective, ending with PKs make a lot more sense.

Last edited:
and not being able to use your hands at all makes soccer different than any other sport. The goal looks so big unitl you get in front of it with 11 trying to stop you. People who have not played will never understand that
But not in the penalty kick phase which this thread is about.

Instead of adding time, why not stop the clock on play stoppages? Every injury and goal stops the clock. It would stop some faked injuries because the longer you lay there, nothing changes.

Instead of adding time, why not stop the clock on play stoppages? Every injury and goal stops the clock. It would stop some faked injuries because the longer you lay there, nothing changes.
See my ‘entertainment’ point above. That’s why.

this is the only rule change proposed in this thread that i whole heartedly agree with. then there is also no guessing about how much stoppage time is added at the end of halves.

People are silly in this thread. The format is what makes it so exciting. You have two hours to beat the other team. You want to avoid PKs? Then push the offense and take some chances. You're the inferior team? PKs are the talent equalizer.

If you want to argue for golden goal instead of full extra time I could at least understand that.

I disagree. Pks are not a coin flip. They are a good measure of the ability of a team to put the ball in the net...a fundamental soccer skill. Going in everyone who knew anything about these teams knew Argentina would very likely win a shootout. As expected they did. I hate games ending this way as much as most but let's be honest about it. As much as i hate Argentina, they deserved it.
I'm no genius, and I'm obviously not an international level soccer player. But I think it is largely a coin flip. Every player in the world cup can place the ball in the net wherever they want to. Sometimes the goalies guesses correctly, and the perfect shot still eludes him/her. But mostly, as I see it, the goalie simply flips a coin and goes one or the other direction and hopes that the shooter chose the same direction. Is that not true? Maybe I am misunderstanding what I am seeing.

I would prefer a longer run-up, in which the shooter comes from farther away and has the extra duty/obligation of creating his/her his own shot. It seems more of an even battle than when the shooter is just blasting it at the goal from a few feet away.

Soccer is a beautiful sport. I never appreciated it until I attended higher level games in my twenties, and saw the entire field at once. There are so many different pieces in motion. In a telecast, that can't be seen, and it falsely appears like only one player at a time is doing anything. Got to see it live to appreciate it, in my opinion...

How about this for flopped and faking injuries? If you go down for more the 15 seconds and claim you are hurt, you gotta leave the game for 10 mins. That would instantly clean up this mess.
I would love that. Nothing turns me off more than the faking and flopping. A grown-ass man rolling around in "agony" when the subsequent replay shows that the opponent's knee brushed his thigh...

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
I'm no genius, and I'm obviously not an international level soccer player. But I think it is largely a coin flip. Every player in the world cup can place the ball in the net wherever they want to. Sometimes the goalies guesses correctly, and the perfect shot still eludes him/her. But mostly, as I see it, the goalie simply flips a coin and goes one or the other direction and hopes that the shooter chose the same direction. Is that not true? Maybe I am misunderstanding what I am seeing.

I would prefer a longer run-up, in which the shooter comes from farther away and has the extra duty/obligation of creating his/her his own shot. It seems more of an even battle than when the shooter is just blasting it at the goal from a few feet away.

Soccer is a beautiful sport. I never appreciated it until I attended higher level games in my twenties, and saw the entire field at once. There are so many different pieces in motion. In a telecast, that can't be seen, and it falsely appears like only one player at a time is doing anything. Got to see it live to appreciate it, in my opinion...
I think it would be more fair if they moved it to 18 yards.

Couldn’t agree more Zap
Unlimited subs, water breaks, whatever

As an Italy fan, we’ve had our fair share of both sides of the coin

Heartbreak - WC 90, WC 94, WC 98, Euro 16

Successes - Euro 2000, WC 06, Euro 12 + 20

Each and every time I felt a sense of dread as win or lose, this isn’t how major games should be decided

How would that work on balls from outside the box going into the box? This is where most offsides calls happen. Once the ball is already inside the box, defending is usually a mad scramble... guys aren't trying to trap the other team.
The NASL implemented a 35-yard offsides line in the late ‘70s, but FIFA made them stop (their approval on things like rules was needed in order to clear international players).

All of these comments about rules and suggested changes are generally things that the rest of the world has no trouble with. That’s why they don’t change. Even the move from 3 to 5 subs was kind of shocking. Makes it hard to imagine many other changes.

Golden Goal was also a thing, but the rest of the world seems to prefer playing a full OT period. Their taste for rules is just different.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT