ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Austin Peay agree to 10 min quarters due to blowout

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
In an unprecedented event, both coaches met at halftime where Pitt was leading Peay 42-0 and decided mutually that the 3rd and 4th quarters would only be 10 minutes. I have never seen this, can you imagine if Rutgers ever agreed to this in a blowout. How do you recover for recruiting if you’re Austin Peay

In an unprecedented event, both coaches met at halftime where Pitt was leading Peay 42-0 and decided mutually that the 3rd and 4th quarters would only be 10 minutes. I have never seen this, can you imagine if Rutgers ever agreed to this in a blowout. How do you recover for recruiting if you’re Austin Peay
Did all the Austin Peay players get trophies after the game?

Teams have agreed to play running clock in blowouts in the past. FBS vs FCS. I don't think this story will have legs, or repercussions.

Before the NCAA took control of rules and records in 1937, teams could play less than what the rule book said. All you needed was agreement by the teams themselves.

Rutgers thought they’d have an easy time with NYU and negotiated one of the shortest games ever played in school history since football became four quarters in 1910. The 53-0 home shutout of Albright College on September 25, 1915 and the 13-0 home shutout of Pennsylvania Military College on September 30, 1922 were both played with four eight-minute quarters. The October 21, 1923 Sunday Times Home News explained, “Yesterday’s game was the shortest ever played here, taking only 32 minutes of playing time…. Before the game, an agreement was made with the visiting team that three periods of eight minutes be played and if, at the end of eight minutes in the final stanza, Rutgers were leading, the game should be called.”

Instead, heavily favored Rutgers found itself down 3-0 when Bus Terrill made an 82-yard touchdown run halfway through the fourth quarter just as the eight-minute mark approached. “… Rutgers was leading by four points and the officials called the game. This caused a great deal of confusion, as some thought that the last period was to have been 15 minutes, but the action of Referee Farrier in putting an end to the game early was justified by the agreement made.” Rutgers gave NYU the quick hook and a 7-3 loss.

good for Pitt and Austin Peay. It’s ridiculous that they schedule and play these early season games against these low level teams. I’m a Pitt grad, but Pitt should be ashamed for scheduling this game, what possible good comes from it ??? ... as well as Rutgers vs. Monmouth, many others.

Reactions: Greg2020
Before the NCAA took control of rules and records in 1937, teams could play less than what the rule book said. All you needed was agreement by the teams themselves.

Rutgers thought they’d have an easy time with NYU and negotiated one of the shortest games ever played in school history since football became four quarters in 1910. The 53-0 home shutout of Albright College on September 25, 1915 and the 13-0 home shutout of Pennsylvania Military College on September 30, 1922 were both played with four eight-minute quarters. The October 21, 1923 Sunday Times Home News explained, “Yesterday’s game was the shortest ever played here, taking only 32 minutes of playing time…. Before the game, an agreement was made with the visiting team that three periods of eight minutes be played and if, at the end of eight minutes in the final stanza, Rutgers were leading, the game should be called.”

Instead, heavily favored Rutgers found itself down 3-0 when Bus Terrill made an 82-yard touchdown run halfway through the fourth quarter just as the eight-minute mark approached. “… Rutgers was leading by four points and the officials called the game. This caused a great deal of confusion, as some thought that the last period was to have been 15 minutes, but the action of Referee Farrier in putting an end to the game early was justified by the agreement made.” Rutgers gave NYU the quick hook and a 7-3 loss.
oh my.. that was some hard core rules enforcement.... was the coach a lawyer?

good for Pitt and Austin Peay. It’s ridiculous that they schedule and play these early season games against these low level teams. I’m a Pitt grad, but Pitt should be ashamed for scheduling this game, what possible good comes from it ??? ... as well as Rutgers vs. Monmouth, many others.

Well when RU scheduled HBCU teams their bands at halftime were part of the package.

What possible good comes from it?

1) A win.
2) An inexpensive home game.

Reactions: eceres
oh my.. that was some hard core rules enforcement.... was the coach a lawyer?

The captains of the respective teams were in charge on game day. Head coaches in this era could train the players, give them halftime talks.... but during the game, they were forbidden to open their mouths or direct their teams. It was a penalty if they did.

Believe it or not, the last vestiges of these rules didn't come off the books until 1967!

These paycheck games give the FCS team a good deal of much-needed revenue and exposure they wouldn’t ordinarily get.

Covid 19 and the ACC's decision to play fall football forced the ACC teams (now including Notre Dame) to adopt an 11 game schedule. Austin Peay was a last minute scheduled game.

Pitt's schedule was dramatically revised and some teams from the Atlantic Division are now included in Pitt's revised scheduled games.

I believe Pitt's schedule is now more competitive than the original and will have some good televised games.

Pitt's revised football 2020 schedule include games with:

Syracuse
Louisville
NC State
Boston College
Miami
Notre Dame
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson

For those that watched any of the Notre Dame vs Duke Game which was played at Notre Dame, you may have noticed the ACC Conference logo placed on Notre Dame's Stadium Turf.

I don't know if Covid 19 will interrupt conference play (season) but ACC and SEC games being scheduled/played was very important for TV Network Sports Broadcasting Content for ESPN, ABC, NBC, SECN and ACCN.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Covid 19 and the ACC's decision to play fall football forced the ACC teams (now including Notre Dame) to adopt an 11 game schedule. Austin Peay was a last minute scheduled game.

Pitt's schedule was dramatically revised and some teams from the Atlantic Division are now included in Pitt's revised scheduled games.

I believe Pitt's schedule is now more competitive than the original and will have some good televised games.

Pitt's revised football 2020 schedule include games with:

Syracuse
Louisville
NC State
Boston College
Miami
Notre Dame
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson

For those that watched any of the Notre Dame vs Duke Game which was played at Notre Dame, you may have noticed the ACC Conference logo placed on Notre Dame's Stadium Turf.

I don't know if Covid 19 will interrupt conference play (season) but ACC and SEC games being scheduled/played was very important for TV Network Sports Broadcasting Content for ESPN, ABC, NBC, SECN and ACCN.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Is ND's ACC football membership permanent, or for this year only?

Is ND's ACC football membership permanent, or for this year only?

Only for this year.

However, when viewers watch NBC's Broadcasts of Notre Dame home football games this year they will see the ACC logo on the field.

Without the ACC coming in to help Notre Dame (Notre Dame football contractually must schedule 5 games/yr with ACC Teams) this year, who knows what Notre Dames 2020 football schedule would look like without the additional ACC games.

Notre Dame is an ACC member school in all other sports.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
This isn’t unprecedented. In fact I’m pretty sure two FBS teams did the same a few years ago. Thinking either FIU or FAU was getting drubbed, but not positive.

Only for this year.

However, when viewers watch NBC's Broadcasts of Notre Dame home football games this year they will see the ACC logo on the field.

Without the ACC coming in to help Notre Dame (Notre Dame football contractually must schedule 5 games/yr with ACC Teams) this year, who knows what Notre Dames 2020 football schedule would look like without the additional ACC games.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
ND treating the acc like a cheap hooker. Big East 2.0.

As stated above.... the answer is a RUNNING CLOCK - not Shorter quarters....

it's not a horrible idea - BAD execution. Refs should have known this. Running clock is actualy within the rules (in situations just like this - well not "in" the rules - the regs. are purposely vague to allow a running clock)....

but, outside of betting - it's a TOTAL non-issue....

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I understand PantherGrowl's preference to characterize it in a way which is more favorable to the ACC, but I am not aware of any shift in sentiment/plans at Notre Dame to change the status quo...

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I understand PantherGrowl's preference to characterize it in a way which is more favorable to the ACC, but I am not aware of any shift in sentiment/plans at Notre Dame to change the status quo...
Stockholm syndrome. The acc is very small time.

Only for this year.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Since there's no ACC hockey, they are in the Big Ten in that sport.

I recall a couple of similar situations.

Old Dominion and UNC shortened a game a few years ago. After the 3rd qtr UNC was up something like 80-3. So they agreed to play a 10 min 4th qtr.

Norfolk State and JMU ended a game late in the first quarter 2 or 3 years ago instead of waiting out a thunderstorm. JMU was up 18-0.

For you Dance Dads out there - Pitt gets a "Platinum" while Austin Peay gets a "High Silver".

Actually, Notre Dames decision to play an all ACC schedule also greatly benefits the the ACC Conference from a monetary as well as an advertising perspective.

Example, every team (which will be an ACC team) that plays Notre Dame at home for a Nationally TV
Broadcast on NBC will be financially compensated to a greater amount than a game appearing on ACCN.

Additionally, everyone nationally tuning in to watch the NBC Broadcast of Notre Dame playing their home game against an ACC team at Notre Dame Stadium will see the ACC Logo on ND's home turf.

Also with Notre Dame playing other ACC teams for their away games will increase the odds of the game being picked up by ESPN or ABC for a National Broadcast game to increase their Nielsen TV ratings and be financially compensated.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I was in the studies and decision to bring football to Monmouth. It had nothing to do with the athletic decision and EVERYTHING to do with increasing enrollment and interest in the local area to get kids to apply and attend Monmouth.

Most of the OOC teams that come into a home stadium to get a drubbing, are using the appearance funds to basically fund, at least, their football budget and sometimes much of their other athletic programs as well.

NAVY got 1,300,000 to play Ohio State in Ohio Stadium. They almost beat da Ohio State and Urbana learned a lesson that he still expounds today; 'Never play a Service Academy as an OOC game pushover."

Back when Matt and John were at Manasquan and Vic Kubu had his juggernaught going at the Shore. It was common for Vic to tell the Rb or QB that was in the game in the 4 quarter to fumble the ball on purpose of if in the clear for a TD to fall down.

Woe on the kid that didn't listen and Monday running .....

Actually, Notre Dames decision to play an all ACC schedule also greatly benefits the the ACC Conference from a monetary as well as an advertising perspective.

Example, every team (which will be an ACC team) that plays Notre Dame at home for a Nationally TV
Broadcast on NBC will be financially compensated to a greater amount than a game appearing on ACCN.

Additionally, everyone nationally tuning in to watch the NBC Broadcast of Notre Dame playing their home game against an ACC team at Notre Dame Stadium will see the ACC Logo on ND's home turf.

Also with Notre Dame playing other ACC teams for their away games will increase the odds of the game being picked up by ESPN or ABC for a National Broadcast game to increase their Nielsen TV ratings and be financially compensated.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Yep. That’s why they won’t be playing in the acc next year. Used and abused. Line I said, Stockholm syndrome .

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I agree with every word you've said, as would anybody, I think. I just don't think this Notre Dame's motivation; it's a by-product of their modus operandi for 2020. Which is fine, but I don't think the "devotion" of Notre Dame is anything for the ACC to feel great about.

And I say this as a proud ACC ex-pat...

There are lots of interesting stipulations in that ND-ACC agreement. For example, did you know that ND gets 95% of gate proceeds for all games? Not just games in which ND is playing. ALL GAMES IN WHICH ANY CONFERENCE MEMBER PLAYS.

;)

Yep this sounds great in theory until Notre Dame goes to Charlotte and knocks Clemson out of the playoff by taking the ACC bid and the committee chooses 1-loss Auburn/Georgia over the Tigers. Notre Dame keeps the real ACC out of the playoff, gets to keep the banner and the ACC can hang a sign in their headquarters for their former member winning the conference starting in 2021. Its like putting up a banner in your house with the guys names who dated your GF before and then left.

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT