ADVERTISEMENT

Possible New O Line Coach List.

Darnell Stapleton would be a fan favorite if hired. Has Steelers and Pats NFL playing experience as well.

Any other former RU O-lineman with NFL experience doing coaching currently?

Darnell Stapleton would be a fan favorite if hired. Has Steelers and Pats NFL playing experience as well.

Any other former RU O-lineman with NFL experience doing coaching currently?
Yes, but being a fan favorite has got to be the lowest rung on the level of importance, right? Much more so, he's got to mesh instantly with the offensive staff, the offensive line, the rest of the offensive players, and be a good recruiter. Darnell knows the area better than most of not all of the candidates listed above, so he's got that going for him.

Comment by Kratch on Flaherty:
"When Flood was fired and I was covering the Giants, I had high school coaches calling me unprompted about how they wanted him considered. He used to do a HS camp every summer in Hunterdon County. And the guys he coached - O'Hara, Diehl, Snee, Seubert - are all still tied to the area and love him. I actually think Flaherty would make the biggest local splash of all these names, even Stapleton. "

Reactions: cicero grimes
Flaherty is perfect for this. Good coach with a great resume and if those comments are true that he has a loyal group of coaches supporting him then this is a no brainer. Plus he may think it is an inside path to the HC spot next year if Ash is gone.

I liked Flaherty would be nice...was on Dick Anderson's staff here as well Graber I think

Hire the one with highest potential as a recruiter. Ignore ties to NJ area. Fool’s Gold thinking local when it comes to pulling together a roster. The bane of Rutgers Athletics for decades. That ship has sailed.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Yes, but being a fan favorite has got to be the lowest rung on the level of importance, right? Much more so, he's got to mesh instantly with the offensive staff, the offensive line, the rest of the offensive players, and be a good recruiter. Darnell knows the area better than most of not all of the candidates listed above, so he's got that going for him.

Walking into a house and saying Rutgers gave me the opportunity to achieve this here Super Bowl ring will be a nice selling point

Reactions: BlockR and RUSK97
Pat Flaherty. Make it happen. He still has a house in NJ.

Worst case scenario Flaherty could take over as interim HC. He has enough gravitas to be able to take over the lockerroom.
I love this idea ..but then again Hobbs has shown himself to be stubborn and shortsided.

I love this idea ..but then again Hobbs has shown himself to be stubborn and shortsided.

I know Flaherty had good relationships with NJ HS coaches but how many years removed is this? Is coaching college kids the same as coaching the professionals? Wouldntvthere be a learning curve that he would have to be willing to teach in order to come down to the college level? Not saying he couldnt do it but rather does he want to do it at this point. Does he want to be back on the road recruiting? Lots to consider when you are up at the NFL level and looking to move back to college. Some guys love it Some guys can do without it all

Reactions: hiwater and BlockR
maybe Dan Quinn will get fired after this season and he will be available. Jersey guy,coached at Morristown high school.

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/a67aeb1ccb4366/6-potential-rutgers-offensive.html
Bob Bostad
Bart Miller
Darnell Stapleton
Pat Flaherty
Mike Sullivan
Andrew AUrich

I had raised the possibility of Bostad here:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/blazek-to-north-dakota-state.160072/#post-3666626
And know it looks like Ash and McNulty are pursuing him:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...sistants-contract-details-are-noteworthy.html
Ash and offensive coordinator John McNulty are interested in potentially hiring Wisconsin inside linebackers coach Bob Bostad, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, and he may be a coach they can land if the money is there.
Bostad, who worked with Ash at Wisconsin and with McNulty at two NFL stops, made $370,000 this past season - only $20,000 more than departed offensive line and associate head coach A.J. Blazek made. A healthy pay bump and the ability to coach the line again - Bostad has spent the bulk of his career with that group - could be enough to snag him from a Big Ten rival.

I had raised the possibility of Bostad here:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/blazek-to-north-dakota-state.160072/#post-3666626
And know it looks like Ash and McNulty are pursuing him:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...sistants-contract-details-are-noteworthy.html
Ash and offensive coordinator John McNulty are interested in potentially hiring Wisconsin inside linebackers coach Bob Bostad, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, and he may be a coach they can land if the money is there.
Bostad, who worked with Ash at Wisconsin and with McNulty at two NFL stops, made $370,000 this past season - only $20,000 more than departed offensive line and associate head coach A.J. Blazek made. A healthy pay bump and the ability to coach the line again - Bostad has spent the bulk of his career with that group - could be enough to snag him from a Big Ten rival.
I assume the cost of living in Wisky is a tad less than NJ.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I played OL and DL in HS football, but the way I look at it is this:
If I know who the OL coach is, it's probably because the O-line has not been very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT