ADVERTISEMENT

President Holloway to Yale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Yelling fire isn't incitement to a lawless action as the people exiting the fire aren't being lawless in fleeing. It's more like some kind of reckless endangerment through fraudulent claims.

Regardless, I see no support here for the idea that the Biden admin is suppressing free speech @Knight Shift
My understanding is that the original context is that pickpockets would yell this so that people would flee the theater and leave their coats behind with their money inside. So the speech has what the Court in Schenk called "a harmful tendency." As you can see, Brandenburg, decided after fifty years after Schenk, rejects that case.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The fire in a crowded theater point? Didn't @retired711 at least partially debunk that?
As far as what happened during the pandemic, I don't think we are going to agree. I have a particular issue with arrogant Fauci and his pal Collins, who issued a take-down memo/e-mail against many very respected scientists at prestigious institutions, not just some everyday wingnuts. Fauci and other government officials had vested commercial interests in pharma companies (something that is a huge problem), and in my parochial view, they were protecting commercial interests over the legitimate interests of experts who had valid questions about government policies. Hopefully, the nation learned a lesson from pandemic and the government's suppression of speech.
First, I know better than to get into a discussion about the pandemic. None of us are going to convince anyone else.

The issue of whether the federal government went too far in urging social media companies to remove anti-vax and similar posts is now before the Supreme Court. Everyone agrees that coercion would be improper, and the question is whether what the administration did amounted to coercion. https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/03/...t-communications-with-social-media-companies/

The fire in a crowded theater point? Didn't @retired711 at least partially debunk that?
As far as what happened during the pandemic, I don't think we are going to agree. I have a particular issue with arrogant Fauci and his pal Collins, who issued a take-down memo/e-mail against many very respected scientists at prestigious institutions, not just some everyday wingnuts. Fauci and other government officials had vested commercial interests in pharma companies (something that is a huge problem), and in my parochial view, they were protecting commercial interests over the legitimate interests of experts who had valid questions about government policies. Hopefully, the nation learned a lesson from pandemic and the government's suppression of speech.
To quote Reagan, there you go again. You nailed it with "parochial." One of the main functions of the government with regard to pandemics is protecting public health and if government scientific experts aren't allowed to provide guidance on how to stay safe and minimize risk during a pandemic, including calling out obvious misinformation and disinformation, then we might as well give up on ever being able to protect public health.

To quote Reagan, there you go again. You nailed it with "parochial." One of the main functions of the government with regard to pandemics is protecting public health and if government scientific experts aren't allowed to provide guidance on how to stay safe and minimize risk during a pandemic, including calling out obvious misinformation and disinformation, then we might as well give up on ever being able to protect public health.

They lied...and lost the publics trust

Thats the issue

That ranking is quite biased and mostly based on the recent behavior of a few nutjobs. RU has the 2nd highest Jewish enrollment of any public university and has a rich tradition of supporting Jewish students.

https://www.hillel.org/college/rutgers-university-new-brunswick/
Also, a lot of people report anti Israel protests, or getting into an argument with a Muslim that thinks Israel is committing crimes, as antisemitism. It’s not.

It’s just a reflection of the fact that there are more active Jews at Rutgers in an environment where they come in contact with lots of Muslims and Arabs, than in other places.

what do you think of the protests happening the past week with the harrassment of Jewish students at schools...i get free speech and all but I am 54 and have never seen such blatant anti semitism allowed and encouraged by our elected officials..like aoc did today....i know the current american president talk about white supremacy for months and had prime time speeches talking about things that really only happened one time in charlottesville yet stuff like that is happening every single day...i just find it odd the country went crazy a couple years ago but now its perfectly okay for these protests and no one in leadership is really leading OR DIDNT DO IT MONTHS AGO, which has allowed this to fester and become a normal part of life
Both far left and far right have blatantly doing it in the near past. For example, "Jewish Space Lasers". Both extremes need to be dealt with and neither party has the courage to deal with it within their own caucuses.

• Haha
Reactions: czxqa and RUScrew85
Thread looks like a bunch of seagulls pecking at spilled fries on the boardwalk. Nuke this thread Jesus.

All of higher ed is a cesspool. The faculty and students are both the problems. The bigger the university, the bigger the challenge. Makes sense for Holloway to want to downsize.
Yes all of higher. Ed is a cesspool. What an asinine statement.

Reactions: BossNJ
Not bad. But while lacking in poetry, for most of the media it's anyone to the right of AOC and Bernie Sanders.
People on both sides say the same thing about the other side’s media using the same hyperbole. And no offense to everybody doing that, but it’s an entirely pointless criticism to make; a massive waste of time.

The only possible way to change how the media behaves is for everybody to stop focusing on what the other side’s media does and turn off their own media sources. This is fundamentally, inescapably true.

The only effect of demonization is to generate a rebound. An endless act of pure uselessness.

We can only control ourselves.

Reactions: mdk01
People on both sides say the same thing about the other side’s media using the same hyperbole. And no offense to everybody doing that, but it’s an entirely pointless criticism to make; a massive waste of time.

The only possible way to change how the media behaves is for everybody to stop focusing on what the other side’s media does and turn off their own media sources. This is fundamentally, inescapably true.

The only effect of demonization is to generate a rebound. An endless act of pure uselessness.

We can only control ourselves.

The "both sides" thing is an irrelevant artifact.

The "populist" cohort the hive thinks is all red is actually very blue too - made up of workers kicked to the curb by corporations rushing to China to make use of the slave labor. The populist blues love big orange but hate his party. The populist reds hate FNC/WSJ (both Murdoch owned) and FNC hates the populists.

The rampant censorship from 2020-22 sparked a lot of new media sources that draw a wider audience than the skirt and crucifix channel or the laptop wanker channel.

The number one problem as polled is bipartisan in support and its the intentional erasing of the border and the fetching of millions of strangers from around the club - Al Sharpton correctly calls it an invasions. Most new jobs are going to foreigners and there are plans to bring in even more.

The real blue candidate was denied his party's label AND Secret Service (despite fam history and recent home break-in). He's popular with all colors and political groups. DC also trying to take away SS from Orange guy.

KZ7aOaM.jpeg

Al Sharpton:

"You’re getting migrants beating up policemen in the streets of New York. You're seeing an influx of migrants all over the country that frankly have people outraged," Sharpton said while asking Sen. Chris Murphy about the new Senate bill.

"We're looking every day at the invasion of migrants, and they're playing a time game with politics on this? Couldn't the pressure put to bear in their home states?" he asked."

Last edited:
The "both sides" thing is an irrelevant artifact.

The "populist" cohort the hive thinks is all red is actually very blue too - made up of workers kicked to the curb by corporations rushing to China to make use of the slave labor. The populist blues love big orange but hate his party. The populist reds hate FNC/WSJ (both Murdoch owned) and FNC hates the populists.

The rampant censorship from 2020-22 sparked a lot of new media sources that draw a wider audience than the skirt and crucifix channel or the laptop wanker channel.

The number one problem as polled is bipartisan and its the intentional erasing of the border and the fetching of millions of strangers from around the club - Al Sharpton correctly calls it an invasions. Most new jobs are going to foreigners and there are plans to bring in even more.

The real blue candidate was denied his party's label AND Secret Service (despite fam history and recent home break-in). He's popular with all colors and political groups. DC also trying to take away SS from Orange guy.

KZ7aOaM.jpeg

Al Sharpton:

"You’re getting migrants beating up policemen in the streets of New York. You're seeing an influx of migrants all over the country that frankly have people outraged," Sharpton said while asking Sen. Chris Murphy about the new Senate bill.

"We're looking every day at the invasion of migrants, and they're playing a time game with politics on this? Couldn't the pressure put to bear in their home states?" he asked."

Hyperbole blah, finger-pointing blah blah, fear-mongering blah.

Reactions: pmvon
Shouldn’t everyone want America to be great?
America was already great. It has been great since before any of us were born. When we start trying to make our nation’s greatness about election results, then we’ve stumbled badly as a people.

What shallow cultish lunacy makes anybody think electing any politician could ever alter our nation’s greatness? What narcissistic megalomaniacal insanity would make any politician think their election to power could alter the greatness of these United States?

People really need to stop with the undignified hero worship of politicians.

Reactions: BossNJ and pmvon
America was already great. It has been great since before any of us were born. When we start trying to make our nation’s greatness about election results, then we’ve stumbled badly as a people.

What shallow cultish lunacy makes anybody think electing any politician could ever alter our nation’s greatness? What narcissistic megalomaniacal insanity would make any politician think their election to power could alter the greatness of these United States?

Many Americans are seedy AF.

Grooming kids - SCOTUS justices who cant define "woman" - erased borders - state sanctioned shoplifting, racism, spying etc. Business leaders/pols sold out to CCP. Universities are radical nuthouses. Churches are full of kooks and flops. Open law-fare in elections. Some Americans are great still but not most. WWII generation left a relative paradise aside from party of slavery/kkk down south. Boomers (as a whole) have left almost nothing intact

Reactions: RUaMoose
As you can see, the Yale Daily News article on Holloway can only be described as a hatchet job.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2024...-rutgers-faculty-would-be-glad-to-see-him-go/
From my objective point of view, I don't read that piece as a hatchet job. Jim Brown, the RU English professor, is prominently quoted. Don't know much about him and why he may have an axe to grind.

But the piece seemed factual. Do you have an opinion on the situation with the Newark Chancellor? She seemed well-regarded and her effective dismissal upset the local community. I don't see this aspect of the story as a hatchet job.

Who is hero worshipping? Of course America is great but it could always be better. Right now its not so great if you are Jewish or living paycheck to paycheck trying to buy groceries or the parent of a child in the military or the spouse of a police officer. Its also not so great if you live in cities like Chicago, Camden or many other cities where the schools are failing to educate multiple generations and the cycle of poverty and violence continue to ensure they have to rely on the government to survive and vote a certain way.

the cycle of poverty and violence continue to ensure they have to rely on the government to survive and vote a certain way.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that government support of poor people is intentionally designed to keep people trapped as loyal voters, rather than a genuine effort to help people?

Also, research and evidence is very strong that government support on the whole helps people get on their feet and get off public assistance, not the reverse.

From my objective point of view, I don't read that piece as a hatchet job. Jim Brown, the RU English professor, is prominently quoted. Don't know much about him and why he may have an axe to grind.

But the piece seemed factual. Do you have an opinion on the situation with the Newark Chancellor? She seemed well-regarded and her effective dismissal upset the local community. I don't see this aspect of the story as a hatchet job.
Brown is an associate professor at Camden who is the campus AAUP leader. He has continually been a vigorous opponent of Holloway. Everyone else quoted in the article is also a continual opponent of Holloway -- no doubt that's why the reporter selected them to be interviewed. That's why it's a hatchet job IMHO.

Last edited:
Response to Retired 711, my comments are not incorrect, they are based on my own personal experiences while at Rutgers. While they may be dated, I have no doubt that the AAUP negotiating committee is still top heavy with senior tenured faculty.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that government support of poor people is intentionally designed to keep people trapped as loyal voters, rather than a genuine effort to help people?

Also, research and evidence is very strong that government support on the whole helps people get on their feet and get off public assistance, not the reverse.
@newell138 Laughing mocking emoji. Very thoughtful response.

Reactions: BossNJ

I'm sure the people living in some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago and Camden would disagree. I'm sure it helps a few folks escape the cycle of poverty but overall its a huge failure. Schools in those neighborhoods are only getting worse and if they were really trying to help them, why fight school choice in those same areas?

Reactions: bac2therac
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT