ADVERTISEMENT

Putrid Recruiting by Syracuse as Usual

Also have to keep an eye on Miami.

I think they may be slowly returning to past glory if recruiting is any indication.

Miami class of 2018 (so far) has 19 recruits (1 Rivals 5-star, 15 Rivals 4-stars, and 3 Rivals 3-stars).

That is Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Clemson quality.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

More important than recruiting for Miami is they finally have good coaching. I'm enjoying what Richt is doing down there and he makes Miami a likable team from a total outsider's perspective.

Seems to me that Georgia is in for a period of being worse than Miami, so you have to wonder what they were thinking, not so much when they parted with Richt, but when they made their hire.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-cfb-strength-of-schedule/

We play 11 teams that were in 2016 Bowl games. We have Clemson home, we go to FSU, go to LSU, go to Miami and Louisville. I wouldnt want Rutgers schedule either.

One of the only interesting things I learned in this thread was that the ACC is still playing 8 conference games. I had mistakenly thought that only the SEC was doing that still. When you do that in a 14 team conference it is totally crazy. Syracuse and Virginia Tech might as well not be in the same conference they will play so infrequently.

Respectable post. Marrone would have won a lot of battles if the two were still at those schools. Schiano was not a good game day coach.

I was at that game in Cuse in 2011, and think there were other factors too. First, the 2010 season for Rutgers and Schiano was just terrible. Without that victory, at the time, it seemed like Schiano was in real trouble of, if not losing his job, losing his credibility. Second, the game was in 2OT if I'm remembering right. There was a lot of emotional back and forth for a game to go to 2OT. You often see teams seemingly overly celebrating in that instance. Not much different than when Clemson beat a mediocre NC St team last year in the sense that the circumstances of the game, rather than the stature of the team, dictated the post game celebration at the time.

Reactions: money3189
One of the only interesting things I learned in this thread was that the ACC is still playing 8 conference games. I had mistakenly thought that only the SEC was doing that still. When you do that in a 14 team conference it is totally crazy. Syracuse and Virginia Tech might as well not be in the same conference they will play so infrequently.

it is done due to their deal with UND.

As a result some schools may have almost a decade between meetings.

More important than recruiting for Miami is they finally have good coaching. I'm enjoying what Richt is doing down there and he makes Miami a likable team from a total outsider's perspective.

Seems to me that Georgia is in for a period of being worse than Miami, so you have to wonder what they were thinking, not so much when they parted with Richt, but when they made their hire.
I think Richt will consistently win 9-10 games a year. He just need to get them over the hump. First and foremost he needs to win the coastal, then a ACC title.

Hahaha that one is simple...The Rutgers football team earned enough respect to lead us to the B1G. The Cuse football team hung on to your Basketball coattails to get into the ACC...If you didn't have BB, you would be sitting with UConn right now.
:joy: Good stuff my man.
Ah, poor Yukon, playing their games in that prison gray monstrosity in East Hartford.

FOCUS!!!!

focus_zps7ve1uchp.gif

Ban worthy
Ah, seriously hilarious memories of our games of Whack-A-Mole with Mr. Focus himself, TSopranoRU. Absolutely scary how unhinged this person was - used to stalk both John and myself. He's the only person I know of who got banned from every single Rutgers message board out there, even NJO. He'd always play the victim to the moderators of the board, but eventually they'd see through his shtick and boot him.

focus_zpsuckbvhtv.jpg

No it wasn't. It was done because Clemson, Florida St, and Georgia Tech pitched a fit due to having rivals out of conference.

Yeah I suppose it is fair for them. Of course, USC and Stanford somehow manage to play 9 conference games and ND every year plus sometimes other OOC opponents.

I could see not wanting to do that then. Just begs the question of why those same teams would have wanted a 14 team conference in the first place though if they were not willing to play 9 conference games. I guess the answer to that is that it is they don't much care how often they play their cross-division conference mates in football. Just strange that Clemson will play BC and Syracuse every year but UNC and GT fairly infrequently.

Yeah I suppose it is fair for them. Of course, USC and Stanford somehow manage to play 9 conference games and ND every year plus sometimes other OOC opponents.

I could see not wanting to do that then. Just begs the question of why those same teams would have wanted a 14 team conference in the first place though if they were not willing to play 9 conference games. I guess the answer to that is that it is they don't much care how often they play their cross-division conference mates in football. Just strange that Clemson will play BC and Syracuse every year but UNC and GT fairly infrequently.

Stanford and USC do it by giving up a home game. They don't have Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. recruiting in their backyards to compete against either. Also, when the Pac went to 9 games, they were still a 10 team league, so the trade off was that you got to play all the teams in your conference.

The reason those schools wanted to expand to 14 is simple, more money. They got an increased contract and a conference network out of it. Money was/is more important than more games against Pittsburgh or Virginia.

Actually, Clemson plays Georgia Tech ever year.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Does this mean they play the other cross division teams only once every six years? So at home every 12 years?

Yes.

Some of this would be less of an issue if the divisions were realigned, but that's how Miami and Florida St wanted it.

I like this thread if only to smoke-out the Syracuse fans who fake pretend to be Rutgers fans to post negative stuff about Rutgers in some pathetic attempt to undermine Rutgers. You would think they would have more productive things to do with their time, but no. I guess we can understand why they dont though - they attended Syracuse or live up there in Syracuse.. and so don't have much going on or better things to do. 'Nuff said.

No need to smoke me out and no tricks required. I am a Syracuse fan as many posters here know and like to remind me. However, I follow Rutgers recruiting much more closely than SU. why? I have been living close to Rutgers stadium, attending Rutgers games, and wearing red for 20 years ... but if Syracuse ever returns to Rutgers Stadium, I'll switch back to orange for that game.

No need to smoke me out and no tricks required. I am a Syracuse fan as many posters here know and like to remind me. However, I follow Rutgers recruiting much more closely than SU. why? I have been living close to Rutgers stadium, attending Rutgers games, and wearing red for 20 years ... but if Syracuse ever returns to Rutgers Stadium, I'll switch back to orange for that game.
Fair enough [thumb2]money also never tried to hide his love of fruit either.
Makes arguing and agreeing on issues much better when the person you're discussing an issue with don't try to hide their allegiance, in my opinion..

Can I sum this up?

Syracuse sucks and we should treat them like the "has been" they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUbacker
No it wasn't. It was done because Clemson, Florida St, and Georgia Tech pitched a fit due to having rivals out of conference.

Topdeck, how do Clemson, FSU and Georgia Tech like having yankee schools like Syracuse and Boston College in their conference lol?

Traitor .

What's that? watch the fumble recovery and then watch from the 2:40 mark. Schiano was hugging Pernetti and his family like they won the national chip. He didnt even react that way after Louisville 2006. Classic :joy:

I think this was a dig at RU? Either way, please post more.

I miss everything about that video. Schiano, the players, the uniforms, having a rival, beating a rival, taking over a stadium (note the RU chants, etc., after we seal the win)... heck, I even miss those sh***y Big East noon game of the week announcers. In case there's any confusion, I love the B1G. Just looking back fondly...

As someone else noted, it was a double OT win where we trailed for most of the game. Who wouldn't be excited?

I think this was a dig at RU? Either way, please post more.

I miss everything about that video. Schiano, the players, the uniforms, having a rival, beating a rival, taking over a stadium (note the RU chants, etc., after we seal the win)... heck, I even miss those sh***y Big East noon game of the week announcers. In case there's any confusion, I love the B1G. Just looking back fondly...

As someone else noted, it was a double OT win where we trailed for most of the game. Who wouldn't be excited?
You should look back fondly. It was good to see. Rutgers was starting to do something. Its such a talent rich state. 8-9 wins in the big east should have been the norm. Hopefully you will have something to cheer about in the future besides getting more money from the Big10.

<cough>

28rutgers.1.600.jpeg

I think most of the CUSE ones have moved on. We keep getting trapped by the PSU ones though.
Two good players that I enjoyed watching. You guys should be huge PP fans. His firing is not talked about enough. It was a big part of your road to respectability.

Syracuse fans...thread bagging on Rutgers on their message board with thousands of posts. Pathetic. They know we have surpassed them, it kills them, and they can't get over it. So desperate we have a few of them over here too.

Syracuse fans...thread bagging on Rutgers on their message board with thousands of posts. Pathetic. They know we have surpassed them, it kills them, and they can't get over it. So desperate we have a few of them over here too.
You must be a newby. Check my history. You will have to do better than that. "We surpassed them", "it kills them". Thats amateur :joy:. I've been here and contributed longer than you. I probably know more about your team than you.

Last edited:
I like this thread if only to smoke-out the Syracuse fans who fake pretend to be Rutgers fans to post negative stuff about Rutgers in some pathetic attempt to undermine Rutgers.
I think most of the CUSE ones have moved on. We keep getting trapped by the PSU ones though.
Including the clown who keeps registering new ID's through Tor to try to obfuscate who he is.
I probably know more about your team than you.
Mine's longer.

I suppose I should have added that I also lived 20 years close to the Syracuse U. campus. Although I attended neither, SU and RU are 2 of my 4 favorite teams - the other two are the universities I actually attended.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Would love to play some of the old BE teams again.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Would love to play some of the old BE teams again.
Miami-WV--Pitt and Louie might be worth playing home and home in a rotation .
WV might not be as worthwhile because they might not help recruiting.
The others might help get kids in their area (though WV might get us noticed in the Pitt recruiting area)
Cincy brings nothing , because we play OSU abd Ohio recruits won't be looking at a Cincy RU game as reason to put Rutgers on their list of schools interested in .
South Florida could be mentioned in the same breath as UCF ,FIU and Florida Atlantic , if no Miami games in future, those schools might help keep Rutgers a school Florida recruits will look at if Miami,Florida and FSU don't go hot and heavy after them .
UConn and Syracuse bring nothing to the table now.
RU plays Temple (2020-21-22&23) , BC ( 2019-22-26&27)
along with VT in 2023&24
That's enough of the old BE for me , time to move on from most of the BE schools we played while in that conference.
I'm not to thrilled about playing BC again, Temple might be OK because its close enough to have the Linc be full of scarlet and look like a home game when you see the fans attending that game.

Lacewell and Pacheco are the only two good commits you guys have.

I must have missed this post. I wouldn't sleep on Jalen Chatman and E.J. Turner. Chatman is overlooked because of his measurables and the fact that Cali has a slew of top QB prospects.

Watching Marrone lose that game is great.
I tell you what. Marrone had no business winning any games vs rutgers during his time at Cuse. I was told he had 30 decent players on the team when he got there. He pushed out 20 in his 1st year. Took a depleted team with a bunch of 2 stars and won a Big East title, produced 1st round draft picks, went 2-2 vs Rutgers(could have easliy been 3-1)

I must have missed this post. I wouldn't sleep on Jalen Chatman and E.J. Turner. Chatman is overlooked because of his measurables and the fact that Cali has a slew of top QB prospects.
Fair enough. I do take into account a kid having a lot of offers even if they are smaller schools. Don't sleep on Cooper Lutz either. Plays RB in HS. Rushed for over a 1000 his soph year. His jr. year he missed 8 games due to injury. Thats why he's ranked so low. Track star too, runs a 4.4. 40 at 6'0 190. He's gonna be a pretty good slot WR. I like Reggie Sutton. I think he's under rated. He's gonna be a pretty good Big10 lineman.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT