ADVERTISEMENT

RU Baseball Weekend Series @ Penn St, today 6:30, Sat 2pm, Sun 1pm :

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Very big weekend series for RU , currently tied for 8th place w OSU, w only 8 teams getting into the Big10 Tournament (May 22-26).

RU faces last place Penn St, but 13-of-15 losses have come by two runs or less. Friday starter Dante Biasi ranks second in the Big Ten with a 2.01 ERA this season, striking out a league-high 90 in 62.2 innings. Opponents have hit.177 against the left-hander.
Similar to RU , Penn St is a light hitting team, that relies on good starting pitching.

IMO, RU will need to win at least 2 of 3, to stay in the Big10 Tourney race, and probably take 2 of 3 of NW next weekend, as the last weekend series is against a very good Indian team.

Same weekend pitching rotation for RU :

Game 1 Rutgers - LHP Harry Rutkowski (2-4, 3.48 ERA)
Penn State - LHP Dante Biasi (3-4, 2.01 ERA)

Game 2- RHP Tommy Genuario (2-4, 2.66 ERA)
Penn State - RHP Eric Mock (2-3, 3.44 ERA)

Game 3- LHP Tevin Murray (3-3, 2.98 ERA)
Penn State - RHP Bailey Dees (2-1, 3.99 ERA)

Hitting wise , Sophomore Mike Nyisztor leads the RU lineup with a .380 on-base percentage in the Big Ten, while collecting team-highs with 52 hits and 12 stolen bases for the season. Dezzi holds a season OBP of .395 with 23 runs. Senior Carmen Sclafani continues to spearhead the team with a .383 slugging percentage on five home runs with 27 RBIs. Freshman Victor Valderrama brings an active 19-game on-base streak to the weekend, with senior Tyler McNamara at 18.

Full story with links to follow the games:
https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/5/2/baseball-travels-to-penn-state.aspx

Nice preview. Really appreciate the PSU pitching stats. We need the first one

Sclafani with a 2 run homer in top of the 2nd RU leads 2-1. PSU scored on a throwing an error in the first. Big series for RU Baseball.

Rutkowski getting hit unfortunately, 4 hits given up so far, and thrown 45 pitches in only 2 innings, to a light hitting PSU team.

Game suspended til tomorrow noon. RU will resume top of 3rd w a 2-1 lead.

Tommy Genuario pitching for RU, I'm guessing Rutkowski will pitch Sunday's game. He only threw about 45 pitches yesterday.

RU takes a 4-1 lead going into the bottom 7th. Soto came through with a 2 RBI hit .

Worst possible result in a first game of a doubleheader. Your bullpen throws a ton of pictures and you get the loss.

Tough loss for RU. Brito the loser in relief. RU bats very cold, as usual. 1 more loss this weekend, and RU can probably kiss the Big10 playoffs goodbye. That's 4 Big10 losses in a row now for the light hitting Scarlet Knights. Only 2 starters hitting over .250.

"Series finale at Penn State rained out. No makeup date scheduled. #RBaseball"

Not good for RU's chances of a Big 10 Tourney bid. Next weekend home vs NW. Better win 2 out of 3 at least.

Reactions: biazza38
^ i would assume the game has to be played if it has any impact on the standings. But I don’t know the rules, so who knows

^ i would assume the game has to be played if it has any impact on the standings. But I don’t know the rules, so who knows
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that it is not made up, and standings are just determined by league winning percentage. This was a bad break. From what I understand, they also got a bad break at Michigan in the third game; a very bad call cost them the win before they went into extra innings.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that it is not made up, and standings are just determined by league winning percentage. This was a bad break. From what I understand, they also got a bad break at Michigan in the third game; a very bad call cost them the win before they went into extra innings.

I think you're right. Right now RU is tied with Maryland, but Maryland plays a good Michigan team today, so they could easily lose giving RU a temporary lead over them. 2 other teams right behind with an extra loss. With 6 games left for everyone it's too damn complicated to figure out all the possibilities, just know RU will need to win 2 out of 3 next weekend against NW at home to have a shot, with the final weekend at a very good Indiana team.

PS- I also noticed in Softball Indiana is scheduled to play at Penn St today, their outcome affects RU Softball, with their playoffs starting this Thursday.
And that game has not been called, they are waiting to see if the rain lets up.
I thought our baseball game was called pretty quick.

You are correct in that the Big 10 does not make up the games. They use winning percentage to determine the standings at the end of the season.

I think you're right. Right now RU is tied with Maryland, but Maryland plays a good Michigan team today, so they could easily lose giving RU a temporary lead over them. 2 other teams right behind with an extra loss. With 6 games left for everyone it's too damn complicated to figure out all the possibilities, just know RU will need to win 2 out of 3 next weekend against NW at home to have a shot, with the final weekend at a very good Indiana team.

PS- I also noticed in Softball Indiana is scheduled to play at Penn St today, their outcome affects RU Softball, with their playoffs starting this Thursday.
And that game has not been called, they are waiting to see if the rain lets up.
I thought our baseball game was called pretty quick.

Baseball has a weird rules for Sunday games when it comes to weather and delaying and/or cancelling. You aren't allowed to start another inning after 4:00(I believe) and there is also a rule I think about knowing you can't complete a game before the deadline time then you don't start it. If a team has a scheduled late flight the time can be adjusted accordingly but it is set like it is so the teams arrive home at a reasonable time for classes on Monday. It's a screwy rule and I may be off on the times some.

Thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it. That makes sense. Totally sucks to hear about the Michigan game

It looks like the Indiana at Penn St softball game will start around 2pm . Indiana should win easy, so this could hurt RU Softball seed possibly.

Yet, the RU at Penn St game, originally scheduled for 1pm, then pushed up to 11am, was cancelled around noon. A win, a decent possibility for RU, would have helped immensely.

LOL, RU can't win , even when it comes to calling rain outs, lol.

As with any and all Rutgers sports, preparing for disappointment and that way any success will pleasantly surprise me. But we’ve never been a closing team in season standings when we needed to be

The Indiana - Penn St softball game just started.

RU's baseball game at Penn St was originally scheduled at 1pm, if they kept it there , they would have only started an hour late. And RU takes a 3 hour bus to Penn St and back, so no flight time issues.

Strange.

RU getting some help today with Michigan leading Maryland 12-1 in the 6th, and Mich St beating Purdue.

Indiana softball lost to Penn State I believe 2-0 so our girls I think are the six seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT