ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Weaver down 4-2 after 1 after he gave up quick back points during a scramble

Another funky, wild match thus far. Weaver down 8-7 after 2. Stonecheck is down to start the 3rd.

Weaver is like watching a heart attack waiting to happen. He's like a worm, who's constantly riding high exposing his back, giving up his leg. He looked bad in this match

Last edited:
Weaver loses 11-7 and finishes 2nd.

Man, he loves to put himself in dangerous situations.

Weaver looks so different from last year.
Weaver is like watching heart attack waiting to happen. He's like a worm, who's constantly riding high exposing his back, giving up his leg. He looked bad in this match
Agreed. A lot to clean up. That kid he wrestled acted like an ass.

Reactions: koleszar
Weaver is like watching heart attack waiting to happen. He's like a worm, who's constantly riding high exposing his back, giving up his leg. He looked bad in this match

Yeah, the 4 nearfall points were the difference in this one. Didn't look as sharp but his opponent is very good so that played a part and he is a year older as well. He got rocked in the jaw late in the 1st too.

Dylan definitely needs to get stronger and then he will be able finish those attacks to become a bonus point machine in college. Otherwise, he is constantly exposed. He will be able to get away with that stuff against most of his competition and he should be able to continue to dominate in state but this was a good 1st showing against good national competition.

Yeah, the 4 nearfall points were the difference in this one. Didn't look as sharp but his opponent is very good so that played a part and he is a year older as well. He got rocked in the jaw late in the 1st too.

Dylan definitely needs to get stronger and then he will be able finish those attacks to become a bonus point machine in college. Otherwise, he is constantly exposed. He will be able to get away with that stuff against most of his competition and he should be able to continue to dominate in state but this was a good 1st showing against good national competition.
This was only my first match watching him wrestle so I wasn't sure what to expect. The funky style caught me off guard at 1st. But then I saw he puts himself in danger throughout the entire match. Like @FoxRU said, he's got a lot to clean up. And yes MS-RU he needs to start hitting the gym in order to muscle through these dangerous positions he put's himself in.

And Keyonte literally toys with his opponent in the finals to get the TF 17-2 to finish 1st. Wasn't even competitive. His 2 escape points were freebies as well as Keyonte wanted to go neutral after they went out.

He is an absolute beast.

It's almost like Hamilton just wanted a little work in the 1st from neutral. Then in the second decided practice time was over and wanted to go home. Man he can really be a great one.

The High School play by play kids were actually not bad, even with their squeaky high voices, lol. They knew their stuff.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
It's almost like Hamilton just wanted a little work in the 1st from neutral. Then in the second decided practice time was over and wanted to go home. Man he can really be a great one.
Yeah. He looks like he can be a multiple AA candidate, even a National Championship contender. Once he packs on 20-30 lbs of muscle, his length and athleticism will be tough to beat.

What a ridiculous reversal after the buzzer. Such a joke. O'Neill loses.

It was the correct call, that was two for a reversal. O'Neil did not really do anything that match.

He will be fine. He won a tough tournament last week and was aggressive all day yesterday as well. He had an off day today and was probably too cautious. Never know what's going on with these kids day to day with illness, other issues, etc. He will most likely get another shot at Shane this year and I have a feeling he will be much better next time around. Credit to Reitsma though, he was aggressive and wrestled well. Put himself in position to win and did just that.

Connor can't lose his cool though, that can't happen. His coach kicked it off by getting into the refs face at the scorers table telling them it was awful, they don't know the rules, etc..I couldn't hear everything but I'm sure they weren't pleasant. Connor then launched his headgear out of the arena and then must have said F you to the ref after the fact. Again, that can't happen. I'm sure Goody won't be happy with that.
O'Neill has too many off days. Needs to be more consistent and aggressive/offensive, if he wants to AA in college.

Seth Gross has made a pretty nice career out of that exact description

Updated NJ rankings from Flo:

Weaver (11) - #1 @ 152

Dylan Weaver jumps a few weights up to 152, and here he is the clear #1 guy. The recent Rutgers commit looks to be a heavy favorite at this weight.

O'Neill (12) - #2 @ 170

Who would have guessed that a wrestler could win Beast of the East and then drop in the rankings just a week later? Well, that’s the case for Connor O’Neill, who just a week after taking home a Beast title fell to returning state finalist Shane Reitsma of Howell in the Powerade semis. I’ve talked a lot about Reitsma in the first month of the season but mostly it's about his state final against Green last year. This is a big win for the Rider commit who returns hungry to return to the state final.

Poznanski (12) - #1 @ 182

Poznanski remains on a mission after cruising to a Beast of the East title. Defending state champ Green is right on his tail, though. This looks like a matchup that likely won’t come until the end of the season and will be much anticipated.

Epperly (12) - #7 @ 195

Others of note:
Alex Almeyda (10) - #2 @ 120
Vincent Santaniello (11) - #4 @ 120
Joey Olivieri (11) - #2 @ 132
Brian Soldano (10) - #3 @ 170
Martin Cosgrove (10) - #3 @ 195
PJ Casale (10) - #3 @ 220

I really hope we will be going hard after Almeyda and Soldano, both them are big time national recruits that we need to keep home.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Damian Weaver listed at 138 given his performance at Mount Mat Madness, but I think that will change as the season progresses.

Updated NJ rankings from Flo:

Weaver (11) - #1 @ 152

Dylan Weaver jumps a few weights up to 152, and here he is the clear #1 guy. The recent Rutgers commit looks to be a heavy favorite at this weight.

O'Neill (12) - #2 @ 170

Who would have guessed that a wrestler could win Beast of the East and then drop in the rankings just a week later? Well, that’s the case for Connor O’Neill, who just a week after taking home a Beast title fell to returning state finalist Shane Reitsma of Howell in the Powerade semis. I’ve talked a lot about Reitsma in the first month of the season but mostly it's about his state final against Green last year. This is a big win for the Rider commit who returns hungry to return to the state final.

Poznanski (12) - #1 @ 182

Poznanski remains on a mission after cruising to a Beast of the East title. Defending state champ Green is right on his tail, though. This looks like a matchup that likely won’t come until the end of the season and will be much anticipated.

Epperly (12) - #7 @ 195

Others of note:
Alex Almeyda (10) - #2 @ 120
Vincent Santaniello (11) - #4 @ 120
Joey Olivieri (11) - #2 @ 132
Brian Soldano (10) - #3 @ 170
Martin Cosgrove (10) - #3 @ 195
PJ Casale (10) - #3 @ 220

I really hope we will be going hard after Almeyda and Soldano, both them are big time national recruits that we need to keep home.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Damian Weaver listed at 138 given his performance at Mount Mat Madness, but I think that will change as the season progresses.

Soon enough once he beats a couple of the ranked kids at the weight.

Updated Flo National Rankings:

Shawver (12) - #12 @ 126
Weaver (11) - NR
O'Neill (12) - #9 @ 170
Poz (12) - #4 @ 182
Epperly - NR
Hamilton (11) - #4 @ 220

Haven’t seen him wrestle this year but I wonder if Joey Olivieri (132) is a target of ours.

Reactions: RU23
Weaver won his first match by pin and then it appears he MFF out of the tournament.

Epperly loses 3-2 to Cosgrove (NJ ranked 3) in the Sam Cali finals

Don’t think he took a single shot in 6 minutes.

Epperly loses 3-2 to Cosgrove (NJ ranked 3) in the Sam Cali finals

Don’t think he took a single shot in 6 minutes.
I know RU coaches paid Camden Catholic a visit a few weeks ago (Cosgrove's HS). Kid is only a Sophomore so can't "officially" recruit the kid but you can stop by and say hi to the coaches. Wink Wink.

I wonder if Poz broke a sweat today at the Minuteman Classic

Quarterfinal - John Poz won by fall over Isaiah Augustin (Fall 0:14)
Semifinal - John Poz won by fall over Anthony Rodriguez (Fall 0:54)
1st Place Match - John Poz won by fall over Carlos Delgado (Fall 0:23)

Reactions: ruready07
I wonder if Poz broke a sweat today at the Minuteman Classic

Quarterfinal - John Poz won by fall over Isaiah Augustin (Fall 0:14)
Semifinal - John Poz won by fall over Anthony Rodriguez (Fall 0:54)
1st Place Match - John Poz won by fall over Carlos Delgado (Fall 0:23)
Prolly not.. every match at the minuteman classic.. was under a minute.. xD

NJ.Com's NJ Rankings:
https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...n-7-injuries-add-intrigue-in-1st-edition.html

Joey Olivieri (Jr) - #1 @ 132
Dylan Weaver (Jr) - #1 @ 152
Connor O'Neill (Sr) - #2 @ 170
John Poznanski (Sr) - #1 @ 182
Kyle Epperly (Sr) - NR @ 195

Epperly hasn't been great this year, but I think him being omitted is an oversight. He lost 3-2 to #3 Cosgrove but got the 8-0 MD over #8 Cercioglu in the Sami Cali tournament so him being unranked doesn't make sense to me.

NJ.Com's NJ Rankings:
https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...n-7-injuries-add-intrigue-in-1st-edition.html

Joey Olivieri (Jr) - #1 @ 132
Kyle Epperly (Sr) - NR @ 195

Epperly hasn't been great this year, but I think him being omitted is an oversight. He lost 3-2 to #3 Cosgrove but got the 8-0 MD over #8 Cercioglu in the Sami Cali tournament so him being unranked doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe Epperly took some bad losses or Cercioglu had a more consistent season... either way.. if Epperly is taking many losses to non nationally ranked hs competition its hard to see him making much of a impact at d1..

Maybe Epperly took some bad losses or Cercioglu had a more consistent season... either way.. if Epperly is taking many losses to non nationally ranked hs competition its hard to see him making much of a impact at d1..

That could definitely be true. Either way, I can't see him receiving any sort of scholarship money, so I doubt it has much an impact for the program anyway.

With that being said, Cosgrove is only a sophomore but he will be a nationally ranked recruit either this year or next year the latest as he gets more exposure and experience.

That could definitely be true. Either way, I can't see him receiving any sort of scholarship money, so I doubt it has much an impact for the program anyway.

With that being said, Cosgrove is only a sophomore but he will be a nationally ranked recruit either this year or next year the latest as he gets more exposure and experience.
I agree, and I believe that the younger u are beating nationally ranked upperclassmen competition then it’s usually a good sign that when they become freshman d1 they can hang wit those same upperclassmen now in college..

Along with Cosgrove, High point’s Solodano could be a good get for us

I agree, and I believe that the younger u are beating nationally ranked upperclassmen competition then it’s usually a good sign that when they become freshman d1 they can hang wit those same upperclassmen now in college..

Along with Cosgrove, High point’s Solodano could be a good get for us

I agree as well. If we could lock down some combination of Cosgrove (195), Soldano (160), Almeyda (120) and even Casale (220) it would be another stellar class.

Epperly is an upper weight depth guy that isn’t costing much scholarship money and I’m pretty sure we’ve established that there’s a connection between him and Goodale. Highly doubt he ever becomes a starter here for anything more than a match or two a year. He’ll probably end up somewhere between 5-8 in the state tournament. Him not being ranked is kind of silly.

As far as possible recruits go, Ungar (113) is the next guy I want.

Updated Flo Rankings for NJ

Joey Olivieri (Jr) - #3 @ 132
Kyle Epperly (Sr) - #7 @ 195

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
A bit OT but is Ryan Anderson from Centenary expected to move up to D1 next year? Thanks for any input. $$$$

Reactions: plcoolg
ADVERTISEMENT