ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Wasn’t particularly impressed with Anderson in our quad. Wonder if he ends up at Iowa State.

If we’re discussing the possibility of him coming here, I’m not against it. Would like to see as much competition at 149 as possible. Not sure what the coaches think of Angelo/Santos but it’s probably the only weight class where we don’t have a long term plan right now.

Wasn’t particularly impressed with Anderson in our quad. Wonder if he ends up at Iowa State.

If we’re discussing the possibility of him coming here, I’m not against it. Would like to see as much competition at 149 as possible. Not sure what the coaches think of Angelo/Santos but it’s probably the only weight class where we don’t have a long term plan right now.
I thought Vulakh would be the long term at 149. He is hurt this year, but I loved his wrestling in HS.

Next year our lower weight lineup would be all RS Fresh or sophs from 125-157:

125 Aguilar
133 Alvarez
141 Aragona
149 Vulakh
157 Kanniard

I thought Vulakh would be the long term at 149. He is hurt this year, but I loved his wrestling in HS.

Next year our lower weight lineup would be all RS Fresh or sophs from 125-157:

125 Aguilar
133 Alvarez
141 Aragona
149 Vulakh
157 Kanniard

You’re right. No idea why but I thought he was heavier and in the 157/165 range. Excited to see him wrestle next year.

To add to your point, 165 could be RS sophomore in Glasgow and 184/197 will be RS sophomore in Janzer. True freshman Poznanski will also be in the discussion for a starting spot if Janzer gets bumped up. And based on nothing but hopes and dreams, I’m hoping we can pry away a Finger Lakes kid but I doubt it.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Kyonte Hamilton and Dylan Weaver at the 'Escape the Rock' Tourney this coming weekend.

Weaver a 3 seed at 152
Kyonte the 1 seed at 220

Paulsboro's James Green (Va Tech ) the 2 seed at 170, he must have dropped down from 182.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...oitoZetViKPG9165qoSyzBJ7BXumMKGBINICCkSi8z26s

Joey Olivieri is the #2 seed at 132 as well. He could potentially face off with #12 Pat Noonan (UVA commit) in the finals.

This will be a real good test for Weaver and could certainly cement his place in the national rankings as a Junior with a good showing. 152 has numerous nationally ranked opponents:

#6 Dalton Harkins (Senior - Army commit)
#14 Cam Robinson (Senior - ISU commit)
#15 AJ Tamburrino (Senior - Navy commit)
#20 Kolby Allred (Senior)

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Also if Green stays at 170, AC is going to real tough with O'Neill, Reitsma, and Green. Getting that #1 seed will be a huge plus.

I guess Green thinks he has a better chance against those two guys than he does against Poz. He’s probably right. Probably the favorite at 170 now.

I guess Green thinks he has a better chance against those two guys than he does against Poz. He’s probably right. Probably the favorite at 170 now.
Or maybe Green is just a 170lber and has nothing to do with Poz?

Reactions: obrats
Or maybe Green is just a 170lber and has nothing to do with Poz?

Certainly possible, but it’s not uncommon for guys who can wrestle at multiple weights choose the path of least resistance.

Southern’s Nick O’Connell dropped down from 160 to 152 very late last year because he had a better shot at a state title at that weight, rather than try to challenge Kanniard. Ended up taking 2nd though.

Certainly possible, but it’s not uncommon for guys who can wrestle at multiple weights choose the path of least resistance.

Southern’s Nick O’Connell dropped down from 160 to 152 very late last year because he had a better shot at a state title at that weight, rather than try to challenge Kanniard. Ended up taking 2nd though.
Was there ever any discussion about Green wrestling 182 this season? To my knowledge it was pretty much settled he was coming back at 170.

Was there ever any discussion about Green wrestling 182 this season? To my knowledge it was pretty much settled he was coming back at 170.

He's mainly wrestled at 182 and even 195 this year thus far.

He's mainly wrestled at 182 and even 195 this year thus far.[/QUOTE

Word was he was going to see how his weight was after Football. He was quoted that he is now weighing in the high 170's. Weight class from here on out is 172(plus any allowances). Do some wrestlers look at a weight of the least resistance? Some, but top wrestlers look to the weight they feel the best and go that weight and do not worry about who else in the weight class.

Reactions: MS-RU
He's mainly wrestled at 182 and even 195 this year thus far.
Yes, but he certified at 170. Either way, both weights have their challenges. O'neill and Reitsma or Poz. Certainly tough sledding no matter what weight he decides.

Oh, I agree. I don't think any one at his talent level is ducking anyone in HS as both weights have their challenges. It's not like one weight is a cake walk while the other is gauntlet. That type of thinking wouldn't bode well for his future in college and beyond.

Oh, I agree. I don't think any one at his talent level is ducking anyone in HS as both weights have their challenges. It's not like one weight is a cake walk while the other is gauntlet. That type of thinking wouldn't bode well for his future in college and beyond.

I wouldn’t label it ducking as much as I’d label it as him putting himself in the best position to be successful.

Either way, I don’t know why a high school kid, even a highly touted one, ducking someone else would be surprising. We see it all the time at the NCAA level.

I wouldn’t label it ducking as much as I’d label it as him putting himself in the best position to be successful.

Either way, I don’t know why a high school kid, even a highly touted one, ducking someone else would be surprising. We see it all the time at the NCAA level.
Don't disagree with you here. I'm inclined to believe a fairly large % of the so called ducking we see at the NCAA level is more of a coaching decision (i.e., seed protection and post season strategy) as most of that malarkey occurs during the regular season. And I don't like it one bit from a fan perspective, but I can understand why it happens.

Diceman (who I believe is connected with the tournament) on the PSU board posted this about the Escape the Rock:

152 is probably our best weight:
Harkins earns the top seed by winning Beast and Ironman with a win over Robinson at Powerade, but the field is full of nationally ranked kids and landmines. #2 Robinson and #3 Weaver were both ETR and State (PA & NJ) finalists last year. #4 Tamburrino State and ETR 3rd and NHSCA champ. Allred at #5 was third at Beast, an NHSCA finalist and is a 3x VA state champ. #6 Vafiadis was a Fargo finalist and has been nationally ranked. #7 Sgambellone is not a household name, but took 4th at ETR last year in a stacked weight. In the R16 we should see #8 Nichter (State 6th & Beast medalist) square off with Matt Lackman, who has placed at ETR, Beast and Ironman. #10 McGill is another unheralded guy who just blitzed the field winning the Hurricane. #11 Nicky Hall out of Delaware is just a Fargo All American, lol. And don't sleep on SoCo's freshman #12 Wes Barnes, a multiple PJW champ who has wrestled very well so far. I think 9 out of the top 11 have been ranked in the top 20 of their weight class by FLO at one time or another.

Should be a great test for Weaver as its an incredibly deep field with a ton of nationally ranked guys. Excited to see him compete.

Last edited:
Diceman (who i believe its connected with the tournament) on the PSU board posted this about the Escape the Rock:

Should be a great test for Weaver as its an incredibly deep field with a ton of nationally ranked guys. Excited to see him compete.
There's some crazy reading in that whole thread about the seeding at ETR. Dice is definitely in the tournament leadership, but I'm not sure what position. As such, he is exceptionally plugged into HS wrestling and is a wealth of knowledge.

There's some crazy reading in that whole thread about the seeding at ETR. Dice is definitely in the tournament leadership, but I'm not sure what position. As such, he is exceptionally plugged into HS wrestling and is a wealth of knowledge.

Agreed.

I was bored at work so I started jumping around to different boards and came across that thread. It was crazy detailed for each weight which led to the assumption that he was part of the seeding committee (or something along those lines) and he is clearly insanely knowledgeable on all of the details.

Epperly might have a pretty good match tonight. Jackson goes to Brick Memorial for a rivalry match and Epperly likely faces Szuba who is ranked 2 in the Shore and is undefeated.

Though depending how the match is going, I guess it’s possible that either team bumps their 195 up and we don’t see it.

The younger Santaniello brother who I suspect is a RU target has a good match as well. Older Santaniello should win easily.

Flo has an Escape the Rock preview for subscribers.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6650507-the-ultimate-escape-the-rock-preview

I'll paraphrase for our commits:

132: They are picking Oliveri to win

152: Unsure what to make of Weaver since he jumped from 138 to 152 this year. Mentioned his schedule thus far hasn't really tested him yet at this weight other than his wild loss to Nick Stonecheck (ranked #16 on Intermat) in the Mount Mat Madness finals. He beat Harkins (#1 seed at 152 in the tournament/#5 national ranking) last year at this tournament so he is definitely a wildcard. With that said, they are picking him to finish outside of the top 4.

220: Picking Hamilton to win and mentioned that if he is fully focused they don't expect the field to be able challenge him much.

I think the assessment of Weaver is fair, so hopefully he can over perform and make a statement.

38 to 52 is a big jump. Kids don’t always bring the strength to match the weight. Weaver always had good talent/ hips maybe needs work on strength

Agreed.

During Mount Mat Madness he definitely got himself in trouble occasionally where he was going for a tilt/big move and couldn't quite muscle his opponent over which lead to him getting reversed or even on his back at times. He has an incredible skill set and is insanely aggressive, which you love to see but he definitely needs to get stronger. He is only a Junior so he has plenty of time develop in that area. By the time he gets to RU, he will be an absolute killer.

Epperly might have a pretty good match tonight. Jackson goes to Brick Memorial for a rivalry match and Epperly likely faces Szuba who is ranked 2 in the Shore and is undefeated.

Though depending how the match is going, I guess it’s possible that either team bumps their 195 up and we don’t see it.

The younger Santaniello brother who I suspect is a RU target has a good match as well. Older Santaniello should win easily.

Epperly stayed at 195. Szuba bumped up to 220. Both guys won by pin in 15 seconds or less. Annoying that they didn’t wrestle each other in a dual that ended up being decided by over 20 points.

Reactions: ruready07
Epperly stayed at 195. Szuba bumped up to 220. Both guys won by pin in 15 seconds or less. Annoying that they didn’t wrestle each other in a dual that ended up being decided by over 20 points.

I always like to see the studs wrestle each other, but coaches need to win the dual meet. When 195 and 220 came up the match was still in question. The dual started at 138 and it was 22-20 Brick M after Hwt(Brick decided trading 6 at 195 to get 6 at 220 was the move).

I always like to see the studs wrestle each other, but coaches need to win the dual meet. When 195 and 220 came up the match was still in question. The dual started at 138 and it was 22-20 Brick M after Hwt(Brick decided trading 6 at 195 to get 6 at 220 was the move).

I don’t blame either coach. Just annoying in hindsight.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Olivieri advances to the round of 8. Won 9-2, got a little sloppy in the 1st period and gave up a reversal. Controlled the match the rest of the way.

Weaver looked awful and got upset by Deltinis from Parisippany (#10 NJ at 152 by Flo.) Weaver gave up two reversals, was put on his back multiple times, and had a full nelson penalty.

Hamilton should be up in about an hour or so

Wow, Weaver lost 11-6 to a kid from Parsippany. Didn't watch the match but that's a bad loss.

Reactions: belushijo
Olivieri advances to the round of 8. Won 9-2, got a little sloppy in the 1st period and gave up a reversal. Controlled the match the rest of the way.

Weaver looked awful and got upset by Deltinis from Parisippany (#10 NJ at 152 by Flo.) Weaver gave up two reversals, was put on his back multiple times, and had a full nelson penalty.

Hamilton should be up in about an hour or so

Yikes. That's not a good look. I wonder if 152 is too much for him.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
That was my first time watching Weaver this year and he’s really long, but seems to be lacking a little strength. I didn’t see a guy who should be the consensus favorite at 152 in the state.

Hamilton wins by fall. Banged his knee up in the middle and gave up a reversal on a mat return and scramble but looked good otherwise.

Everyone is going to have a bad match here and there but hopefully he learns from it. He still has a chance to bounce back and wrestle back to 3rd.

It's a big adjustment and he'll eventually settle in, so I think he'll be fine this year.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
No doubt, he’s a long but undersized 152 guy. He’s got the frame to add some muscle. Not sure if he projects more as a 157 or 165 at Rutgers.

Update on some potential targets. Crookham wrestled an unimpressive 2-1 win. Couldn’t escape the bottom but McKenzie Bell is a good wrestler and returning NJ placer. Almeyda won his match pretty convincingly and Ungar dominated to a double digit win.

Olivieri is on deck I believe.

No doubt, he’s a long but undersized 152 guy. He’s got the frame to add some muscle. Not sure if he projects more as a 157 or 165 at Rutgers.

Update on some potential targets. Crookham wrestled an unimpressive 2-1 win. Couldn’t escape the bottom but McKenzie Bell is a good wrestler and returning NJ placer. Almeyda won his match pretty convincingly and Ungar dominated to a double digit win.

Olivieri is on deck I believe.

You are right - Looking at Weaver's size he is not a full 152 yet.Still needs to grow into weight with time.He will be fine as he develops the strength.

Agreed on all accounts. I highly doubt he is cutting at 152 so he just needs to bulk up and fill out his frame. Wonder why he bypassed 145 all together. I can't imagine it would be much of a cut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT