ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on Free Football Board: Hobbs / BB implications?

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Rumor on FB Board by a respected poster (RU4Real) are that High level donors are trying to get Hobbs canned. May have to do with Hobbs not wanting to hire Schiano and other matters and surely the softball matter today doesn't help.

I'm not a big Hobbs fan but what I do admire of him is his passion for Basketball.

My big concern if Hobbs is canned or resigns is how this makes Pike feel. Will Pike feel nervous about another AD coming on board given Hobbs hired him.

I'm sure the answer is no given what Pike has done for the BB Program but if the above occurs, I can't help but feel nervous / queasy.

Sorry it's just the RU paranoia in me.....:)...that once things get good - some thing bad has to happen.

Please calm my fears...:).......is it November 7th yet?

It's in Pikiell's contract that his buyout goes down if Hobbs is no longer AD... So there's that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm a basketball first guy but I'm not concerned one iota about Hobbs possibly being canned having an impact on Pikiell. Despite the crappy Ash hire and his failure to fire him last year, up until recently I was Hobbs' biggest fan since he was actually able to figure out a way to get something done for the basketball program in the form of the APC. I'm not in the mood for more upheaval but I'm done with this guy.

This is a very important moment for Rutgers Athletics. After seeing decades of lies and made up “scandals” by the anti-Rutgers media, we need to say enough is enough. We can no longer allow the media to tell us what to do and pay out more money to the money grabbers. Every other Power Five School has a spine. We need to grow one now and create our own media at Rutgers, for academics, cultural events, and athletics.

I'm a basketball first guy but I'm not concerned one iota about Hobbs possibly being canned having an impact on Pikiell. Despite the crappy Ash hire and his failure to fire him last year, up until recently I was Hobbs' biggest fan since he was actually able to figure out a way to get something done for the basketball program in the form of the APC. I'm not in the mood for more upheaval but I'm done with this guy.
I think I read there is a clause in Pikes contract that reduces the buyout if Hobbs is gone. That would give me concern if true.

I’m okay with or without Schiano, but if Hobbs gets fired, that would be the worst decision ever. And I was a student during the prime of the Schiano era. I mean, look at all of the upgrades that Hobbs has brought to Rutgers athletics. Not to mention bringing on Sarah Baumgartner, who’s a hell of a fundraiser herself. Now if it’s the majority of the donors that they raised money from that want their jobs, then well, they’re doomed. But if it’s just a couple of the donors, the rest need to stand up for Hobbs. As far as I’m concerned, it could as very well been someone else pulling his arm to hire Ash. And wasn’t there a clause supposedly that incentivized extending Ash? If anything, it could have been Barchi being cheap in the first place. He’s made some historically bad decisions in regards to Rutgers athletics. Looking back, the initial supporting staff for Ash was pretty poor. You pay for what you get.

I think I read there is a clause in Pikes contract that reduces the buyout if Hobbs is gone. That would give me concern if true.
Seems like an odd clause. Is the implication that Hobbs could get an AD job somewhere else and steal Pike away?

Seems like an odd clause. Is the implication that Hobbs could get an AD job somewhere else and steal Pike away?

I think it's probably that Hobbs made it clear to Pikiell that basketball would be a priority. No such guarantees under a different AD.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think it's probably that Hobbs made it clear to Pikiell that basketball would be a priority. No such guarantees under a different AD.
Or maybe it’s an incentive to coach well so your AD doesn’t get shitcanned? Or maybe they don’t want to strap the new AD with big buyouts? It’s a real headscratcher of a clause, that’s for sure.

I’m okay with or without Schiano, but if Hobbs gets fired, that would be the worst decision ever. And I was a student during the prime of the Schiano era. I mean, look at all of the upgrades that Hobbs has brought to Rutgers athletics. Not to mention bringing on Sarah Baumgartner, who’s a hell of a fundraiser herself. Now if it’s the majority of the donors that they raised money from that want their jobs, then well, they’re doomed. But if it’s just a couple of the donors, the rest need to stand up for Hobbs. As far as I’m concerned, it could as very well been someone else pulling his arm to hire Ash. And wasn’t there a clause supposedly that incentivized extending Ash? If anything, it could have been Barchi being cheap in the first place. He’s made some historically bad decisions in regards to Rutgers athletics. Looking back, the initial supporting staff for Ash was pretty poor. You pay for what you get.
Sara was a great hire, but it was Julie Hermann
that hired her in 2013.
As for donors wanting Hobbs gone, won't say the poster claiming it is wrong, just suggest that rumor be taken with a grain of salt.

I feel the boosters realize it's not best to rush a hire even if Schiano is the overwhelming favorite. They should know when the season is over there should be some candidates that might compare favorably to Greg and it's too early to put all the eggs in one basket now.
I'm sure the search firm hired has talked to Greg's agent and a few agents of current employed College HCs

Reactions: Loyal-Son
This is a very important moment for Rutgers Athletics. After seeing decades of lies and made up “scandals” by the anti-Rutgers media, we need to say enough is enough. We can no longer allow the media to tell us what to do and pay out more money to the money grabbers. Every other Power Five School has a spine. We need to grow one now and create our own media at Rutgers, for academics, cultural events, and athletics.
Spare us. The media isn't telling me what to think. Some of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. If I want to only hear spin and propaganda I'll watch the coach's show or some RVision puff pieces. Our AD is a fool at best and an negligent manager at worst. In either case, he's a dead man walking on his own merits.

this is horsesh!t

You'd need your head examined to come and coach or be an AD at this school at this point.
Maybe Rutgers should start doing that as part of our due diligence so we can avoid hiring these fools in the first place. This was a self inflicted wound by Hobbs. No one to blame but himself. This was his hire and those were his words that made a bad situation worse.

Kinda like Pravda -- despots and strogmen (like President Xi) create their own press too - its know as state owned media. According to Rutgers media, the football team is 2-0 this year

Last edited:
No the implication is if Hobbs gets fired, Pike could leave for another job. Reduced buy out makes it easier to leave.
The buyout is meaningless. Pike is only leaving for a bigger school and a bigger school is only coming if we go to the NCAAs. If a bigger school wants him at that point and he wants to go the buyout isn’t stopping anything.

I feel the boosters realize it's not best to rush a hire even if Schiano is the overwhelming favorite. They should know when the season is over there should be some candidates that might compare favorably to Greg and it's too early to put all the eggs in one basket now.
I'm sure the search firm hired has talked to Greg's agent and a few agents of current employed College HCs

the whole situation is strange.....if we are to wait till the end of the season for a search and hire, as is a normal thing, why fire Ash a few games into this season?

nothing seems to be gained, and a few players are lost....at least temporarily...

if outside pressure made Hobbs fire Ash, the same outside pressure is probably in play to announce Greg...... I would guess

otherwise, what has been gained here?

Sara was a great hire, but it was Julie Hermann
that hired her in 2013.
As for donors wanting Hobbs gone, won't say the poster claiming it is wrong, just suggest that rumor be taken with a grain of salt.

You have it right. There is no reason to rush things through in selecting the next HC. Schiano's my guy but we should at least honor the process. Hobbs is an outstanding AD, easily one of the best in Rutgers sports history. Nearly all sports are on the upward path accept football and I'm hoping he selects schiano. Hobbs has done so many good things for Rutgers and we can't let Ash's selection be the one event that defines his tenure no matter how important is football. Many forget that Ash was hired within days of Hobbs starting as AD and no doubt Hobbs does not want to rush the decision this time.

The buyout is meaningless. Pike is only leaving for a bigger school and a bigger school is only coming if we go to the NCAAs. If a bigger school wants him at that point and he wants to go the buyout isn’t stopping anything.
Missing the point. Why would that be in his contract? If a new AD comes in that is focused on football, he has an easier out. It not time to panic but there is a lot of uncertainty right now.

Reactions: BillyC80
What is it with Rutgers and athletics (generally speaking?) ...if there’s something to f*** up...we will!

bingo.....the talk over the buyout means zero...if Pike is winning here thats good news and the next guy will make him an offer to stay, if he wants to leave he is going to leave no matter what.......also I will add in....stop worrying about, right now Pike hasnt even had a season over 500 and there is talk on the board of him leaving...well just because Hobbs goes..its silly

the whole situation is strange.....if we are to wait till the end of the season for a search and hire, as is a normal thing, why fire Ash a few games into this season?

nothing seems to be gained, and a few players are lost....at least temporarily...

if outside pressure made Hobbs fire Ash, the same outside pressure is probably in play to announce Greg...... I would guess

otherwise, what has been gained here?

most likely because Hobbs had to do something for the fans and donors...but his fatal mistake was bringing Ash back in the first place...we all pretty much knew what was going to happen the first few games,

But doesn’t the lower buyout only matter to Rutgers (where RU pays the buyout) if they fire Pike?

Shouldn’t there be two clauses — one where the buyout amount goes UP if Pike leaves voluntarily to take a job at another school (so the other school has to pay the buyout)?

Not understanding why the buyout goes down if HOBBS is fired. If this is clear to everyone but me, then my apologies to the board for being so dense.

But doesn’t the lower buyout only matter to Rutgers (where RU pays the buyout) if they fire Pike?

Shouldn’t there be two clauses — one where the buyout amount goes UP if Pike leaves voluntarily to take a job at another school (so the other school has to pay the buyout)?

Not understanding why the buyout goes down if HOBBS is fired. If this is clear to everyone but me, then my apologies to the board for being so dense.

It's Pikiell's buyout to leave Rutgers, not Rutgers' buyout to get Pikiell to leave.

If Pikiell wants to leave voluntarily tomorrow, he owes Rutgers X dollars to get out of his contract. If another school is hiring him, they would cover this amount. What his contract says is, if Hobbs is no longer the AD then he (Pikiell) owes Rutgers half of whatever X dollars is if he leaves on his own accord.

Reactions: BillyC80
It's Pikiell's buyout to leave Rutgers, not Rutgers' buyout to get Pikiell to leave.

If Pikiell wants to leave voluntarily tomorrow, he owes Rutgers X dollars to get out of his contract. If another school is hiring him, they would cover this amount. What his contract says is, if Hobbs is no longer the AD then he (Pikiell) owes Rutgers half of whatever X dollars is if he leaves on his own accord.
Thanks, I think I get it now. Then Pike is the one who put the clause in, so that if Hobbs leaves for any reason, it won’t cost Pike as much to get out of his contract.

The flaw in my thinking was I thought RU had put that clause in there.

Not clear to me either...seems like an idiotic clause to have...what are they married?

I swear to god, if we hire a new AD and Pikell has a bad relationship with him or her which leads to his departure of any sort other than him being bought out by another school due to our success, I will never go to another RU sporting event.

Thanks, I think I get it now. Then Pike is the one who put the clause in, so that if Hobbs leaves for any reason, it won’t cost Pike as much to get out of his contract.

The flaw in my thinking was I thought RU had put that clause in there.

Well, it helps both of them. Hobbs can say "if you fire me then you're also more likely to lose your basketball coach." Pikiell can say "if you get rid of the AD who I like and have a good relationship with, you're more likely to lose me."

I swear to god, if we hire a new AD and Pikell has a bad relationship with him or her which leads to his departure of any sort other than him being bought out by another school due to our success, I will never go to another RU sporting event.

how about we win first before letting panic seep in. If Pikiell is winning, any new AD isnt a fool, you act as if they would want to run off a successful coach

Reactions: kcg88
You'd need your head examined to come and coach or be an AD at this school at this point.
i second that...............what a dumpster state, with a dumpster press, and some over the top dumpster posters............if i was greg shiano, i would avoid this
possible job like it was the steaming pile of shit that it is.....there is always something that f's up what some people are trying to accomplish here.......were not one of the big boys, so we will always be the black sheep, trying to fight for just a little dam respectability that's all ,no more, no less......ru better start growing a pair.............bravo pat hobbs for calling out the a-hole suppose to be reporter......now that's ffin funny...a reporter is suppose to report. not smear, not gloat, being fair, and unbiased,right!..............how about investigating for a change....you know how to investigate....find out some truth were not aware of...TRUTH,,,they never heard the word before........sorry, i'm disgusted

how about we win first before letting panic seep in. If Pikiell is winning, any new AD isnt a fool, you act as if they would want to run off a successful coach
It's happened before, why wouldn't it happen here? ADs have egos and want their guys sometimes...

Agreed on the winning first portion which is why I threw in the "which leads to his departure of any sort other than him being bought out by another school due to our success"

Pikiell reminds me a lot of Schiano. Since he first started, you can see progress every year towards respectability and improvement. I never saw that with the other recent coaches. In fact I saw the opposite, especially with Ash.

It's happened before, why wouldn't it happen here? ADs have egos and want their guys sometimes...

Agreed on the winning first portion which is why I threw in the "which leads to his departure of any sort other than him being bought out by another school due to our success"

if he is winning then its a good thing, no AD is pushing out a guy who is taking RU to NCAA for the first time in 30 years, if after 6 years Pike hasnt got us to the ncaa well thats another story.

Don't fool yourselves.. Pike can become a hot ticket, even without a NCAA tourney bid. He's already impressed many, and 18-19 wins at Rutgers, could have Schools coming for him. With Rutgers self eroding history, Pike might just want away from this - if the AD he's secure with, is pushed out for football purposes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT