ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on Free Football Board: Hobbs / BB implications?

Don't fool yourselves.. Pike can become a hot ticket, even without a NCAA tourney bid. He's already impressed many, and 18-19 wins at Rutgers, could have Schools coming for him. With Rutgers self eroding history, Pike might just want away from this - if the AD he's secure with, is pushed out for football purposes

No major conference school with tournament hopes is hiring a coach that hasn't made it. Imagine if we hired Pat Chambers three years ago

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
For now.

From those who would know and I've now heard from, what happened on the softball team is very typical of what you see when a new coach comes in.

Need to know if having softball players run to they hurl really happened.

This isn’t 1990 or even 2000.

More so than the running is any verbal abuse.

They way our AD responded to the media is totally not acceptable.

Need to know if having softball players run to they hurl really happened.

This isn’t 1990 or even 2000.

More so than the running is any verbal abuse.

They way our AD responded to the media is totally not acceptable.

There is nothing unusual about what a new coach coming into a program did from those who would know.

Not if winning is important.

What about UCONN or (gulp) Seton Hall

Hurley and Willard both made tournaments at their schools before getting hired. If there's a power conference school who hired another power conference coach without that coach having been to the dance I'd be very surprised.

Bac the buyout talk means something

great but if he is winning then Rutgers is winning and the new AD will try to keep a winning coach, if he leaves fine, RU is winning and the job is attractive

our fans always worry about something that hasnt even happened or if it does happen, it means we have arrived...

Finding winning coaches isn't easy. Football is a perfect example.

Because Pike was successful doesn't mean the next person will be.

Pike is really really happy here

As long as we keep doing what we are doing ...he is going to be here as long as the program does well

That could change if Hobbs is removed and Schiano comes in. The writing would be on the wall that FB was 1st, 2nd and 3rd and basketball was a distant 4th. That was the way it was when Schiano was here.

Fortunately we got a great FB program and an invitation to B1G

great but if he is winning then Rutgers is winning and the new AD will try to keep a winning coach, if he leaves fine, RU is winning and the job is attractive

our fans always worry about something that hasnt even happened or if it does happen, it means we have arrived...

Let's not kid ourselves about the attractiveness of the program. It will look a TON better when we win, but we still have no fanbase and reside in a professional town "market"

Probably not a kind thing to say.......

When looking at Men's golf or Women's softball I just don't want to see the programs get in trouble. We have failed even with this low bar.

Missing the point. Why would that be in his contract? If a new AD comes in that is focused on football, he has an easier out. It not time to panic but there is a lot of uncertainty right now.
It is in his contract because he had some leverage, his agent asked for it and got it. RU admin probably agreed because, before the extension, his buyout was only $900k. Even with the 50 percent reduction clause his buyout would still be more than $900k except in that final year.

I asked around and was told that is not an unusual clause.

That could change if Hobbs is removed and Schiano comes in. The writing would be on the wall that FB was 1st, 2nd and 3rd and basketball was a distant 4th. That was the way it was when Schiano was here.

Fortunately we got a great FB program and an invitation to B1G

The reason why it was this way because this athletic department had NO money ...

Times have changed ...there is enough revenue coming in to make this work

the whole situation is strange.....if we are to wait till the end of the season for a search and hire, as is a normal thing, why fire Ash a few games into this season?

nothing seems to be gained, and a few players are lost....at least temporarily...

if outside pressure made Hobbs fire Ash, the same outside pressure is probably in play to announce Greg...... I would guess

otherwise, what has been gained here?
Think Hobbs seen the frustration the fanbase had over the state of RU FB under Ash and felt showing a willingness to get out in front of the problem was needed .
What changed is the fanbase got what it wanted by Ash being let go.

Now patience is needed so Ash's replacement hiring isn't rushed and even though the fans might have an overwhelming favorite, all options that soon will be available for the position need to be looked at before settling on the one to be hired in an effort to reverse RU FB's fortune .

Remember, just because Greg did it before years ago, that doesn't mean he's a lock tyo do it again, just gives him an edge on most that will be looked at to replace Ash.
You never know who will be available, so you don't limit your options before availability season opens.

Schiano isn't going anywhere , so the process should be allowed to play out before jumping the gun and ending the competition before it starts.
I wouldn't mind seeing Greg come back, but would mind to have him do that before other
options have a chance to be looked at .

Reactions: rucoe89 and wheezer
It is in his contract because he had some leverage, his agent asked for it and got it. RU admin probably agreed because, before the extension, his buyout was only $900k. Even with the 50 percent reduction clause his buyout would still be more than $900k except in that final year.

I agree with you. The clause is there to benefit Pike if there is an AD change.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Cali, other than someone coming off an injury, is it safe to say almost every college lacrosse player could run those sprints mentioned in the article?

Pikiell reminds me a lot of Schiano. Since he first started, you can see progress every year towards respectability and improvement. I never saw that with the other recent coaches. In fact I saw the opposite, especially with Ash.

Personalities not even close. Schiano is a controlling person who did some really dumb stuff in the NFL that angered other coaches. He was eventually fired because the team did poorly. Pike is not the rah rah perpetually young guy that Schiano was, a quality that caused people to think Schiano was dynamic. If this all sounds like criticism of an icon, well so be it. He won games in a much weaker conference. He is considerably older now, and not exactly sure why people want him back. Surely we can find someone better?

Reactions: Russ Wood
I’m okay with or without Schiano, but if Hobbs gets fired, that would be the worst decision ever. And I was a student during the prime of the Schiano era. I mean, look at all of the upgrades that Hobbs has brought to Rutgers athletics. Not to mention bringing on Sarah Baumgartner, who’s a hell of a fundraiser herself. Now if it’s the majority of the donors that they raised money from that want their jobs, then well, they’re doomed. But if it’s just a couple of the donors, the rest need to stand up for Hobbs. As far as I’m concerned, it could as very well been someone else pulling his arm to hire Ash. And wasn’t there a clause supposedly that incentivized extending Ash? If anything, it could have been Barchi being cheap in the first place. He’s made some historically bad decisions in regards to Rutgers athletics. Looking back, the initial supporting staff for Ash was pretty poor. You pay for what you get.
Rutgers is stupid enough to can Hobbs. If I were Pikiell and Hobbs isn't here I would look to leave soon too. If Hobbs is canned it will be clear to anyone with any sense that Rutgers just doesn't know what it takes to be a good athletic program and I would not hitch my wagon to it.

Reactions: RedChucken123
Don't fool yourselves.. Pike can become a hot ticket, even without a NCAA tourney bid. He's already impressed many, and 18-19 wins at Rutgers, could have Schools coming for him. With Rutgers self eroding history, Pike might just want away from this - if the AD he's secure with, is pushed out for football purposes
He would be smart to leave. If Hobbs goes it would be a clear sign that the Athletic Department is too unstable and is unlikely to ever work like a real AD office.

Rutgers is stupid enough to can Hobbs. If I were Pikiell and Hobbs isn't here I would look to leave soon too. If Hobbs is canned it will be clear to anyone with any sense that Rutgers just doesn't know what it takes to be a good athletic program and I would not hitch my wagon to it.
Do you even Rutgers?!? Not knowing what it takes to be a good (heck mediocre) athletic program is the hallmark of the AD...

I’m okay with or without Schiano, but if Hobbs gets fired, that would be the worst decision ever. And I was a student during the prime of the Schiano era. I mean, look at all of the upgrades that Hobbs has brought to Rutgers athletics. Not to mention bringing on Sarah Baumgartner, who’s a hell of a fundraiser herself. Now if it’s the majority of the donors that they raised money from that want their jobs, then well, they’re doomed. But if it’s just a couple of the donors, the rest need to stand up for Hobbs. As far as I’m concerned, it could as very well been someone else pulling his arm to hire Ash. And wasn’t there a clause supposedly that incentivized extending Ash? If anything, it could have been Barchi being cheap in the first place. He’s made some historically bad decisions in regards to Rutgers athletics. Looking back, the initial supporting staff for Ash was pretty poor. You pay for what you get.

he didn’t bring on Sarah Baumgartner. Julie Hermann did.

The reason why it was this way because this athletic department had NO money ...

Times have changed ...there is enough revenue coming in to make this work
There is never enough money. There are 3 schools in our division with football stadiums that hold over 100,000. That means they earn about $15MM-$20MM more just in ticket revenue. Add donations, etc. to that. Our entire football budget is only $26MM. If we get more money from the Big Ten, they get the same amount of money from the Big Ten. We can never catch up.

There is never enough money. There are 3 schools in our division with football stadiums that hold over 100,000. That means they earn about $15MM-$20MM more just in ticket revenue. Add donations, etc. to that. Our entire football budget is only $26MM. If we get more money from the Big Ten, they get the same amount of money from the Big Ten. We can never catch up.

and to add if there really is a mandate to balance the athletic department's budget one day.......

Reactions: RUJMM78
Way too easy to vilify the corporate-backed media. Maybe...just maybe...the news is one of those bastions that was never meant to be monitized. That said, Rutgers needs to learn how to play the game and not consistently exhibit 'foot in mouth' syndrome.

The buyout is meaningless. Pike is only leaving for a bigger school and a bigger school is only coming if we go to the NCAAs. If a bigger school wants him at that point and he wants to go the buyout isn’t stopping anything.

Why wouldn't it mean if the next AD isn't as agreeable to Coach P as (clearly) Hobbs was that he would (possibly) look to leave? Seems like Coach P would want that in the contract for a reason, no?

Hurley and Willard both made tournaments at their schools before getting hired. If there's a power conference school who hired another power conference coach without that coach having been to the dance I'd be very surprised.

Pikiell has made the NCAA tournament as an HC.

And Hobbs agreed to it because it made him look very important to the hire. Which he was.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Rumor on FB Board by a respected poster (RU4Real) are that High level donors are trying to get Hobbs canned. May have to do with Hobbs not wanting to hire Schiano and other matters and surely the softball matter today doesn't help.

I'm not a big Hobbs fan but what I do admire of him is his passion for Basketball.

My big concern if Hobbs is canned or resigns is how this makes Pike feel. Will Pike feel nervous about another AD coming on board given Hobbs hired him.

I'm sure the answer is no given what Pike has done for the BB Program but if the above occurs, I can't help but feel nervous / queasy.

Sorry it's just the RU paranoia in me.....:)...that once things get good - some thing bad has to happen.

Please calm my fears...:).......is it November 7th yet?
Terrible mistake to fire Hobbs. Yes, he screwed up with Ash. Almost everything else has been impressive. Don't create more rifts and instability, please.

Think all the rumors posted by in the know posters are being walked back .
Seems the things that could be taken to the bank might have been put in the wrong account [roll]

Another case of:" I heard it on the internet so it must be true" strikes again [banana]:cool2::ThumbsUp

Reactions: njcanesfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT