ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on Free Football Board: Hobbs / BB implications?

Cali, other than someone coming off an injury, is it safe to say almost every college lacrosse player could run those sprints mentioned in the article?
Even those injured could do it. I could roll out of bed right now and do it. It’s a reallllly low bar.

One of the tests when I was in school was the two mile test. You had to do it in under 12 minutes or you were doing it every day until you did.

I can’t recall anyone not making it.

Reactions: ruready07
If Hobbs were to leave in what specific way would this hurt Pike’s basketball program? I don’t get it. The biggest thing was getting the practice facility and that’s done. Do we expect a new AD to come in and start slashing the basketball program budget? Don’t think so. It’s not like Hobbs was going to replace the RAC or fundamentally upgrade it somehow. Everyone knows funding the Rodkin Center is the immediate need and then an indoor football facility.

If Hobbs were to leave in what specific way would this hurt Pike’s basketball program? I don’t get it. The biggest thing was getting the practice facility and that’s done. Do we expect a new AD to come in and start slashing the basketball program budget? Don’t think so. It’s not like Hobbs was going to replace the RAC or fundamentally upgrade it somehow. Everyone knows funding the Rodkin Center is the immediate need and then an indoor football facility.

Considering that's what happened the last time Schiano was here, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again:

"Because he was so successful, he had a lot of influence in decisions made by the athletic department back then, according to sources. That influence included input on how money was allocated within the department."

Or check out the end of the Carino segment on the Scarlet Spotlight, how the shadow of Schiano will be over the basketball program. Who knows what a hoops team might need in 10 years? If it starts happening that money is shifted away from hoops under a potential new AD, you think Pikiell would just stick around and take it?

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Considering that's what happened the last time Schiano was here, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again:

"Because he was so successful, he had a lot of influence in decisions made by the athletic department back then, according to sources. That influence included input on how money was allocated within the department."

Or check out the end of the Carino segment on the Scarlet Spotlight, how the shadow of Schiano will be over the basketball program. Who knows what a hoops team might need in 10 years? If it starts happening that money is shifted away from hoops under a potential new AD, you think Pikiell would just stick around and take it?
When Schiano took over the first time money was a lot tighter than it is now, even if it's still not generously handed out.
Mulcahy made a decision to put just about all the funds in the football program to improve it
and keep the status quo on MBB , which was OKed by McCormick because he gave Bob a free reign concerning Rutgers sports
Times are different now and the players above whoever is hired for the FB HC position aren't going to sacrifice the other RU sports programs
just to satisfy the football coach's demands.
When football needed to improve to make it more appealing ( when thinking about the future of Rutgers athletics), then the extra funding was needed and sadly there wasn't enough to keep from the on the cheap status quo for RUMBB and it showed the way that program sucked under Mulcahy's decision that improving Rutgers football was the only way to save the future of all RU sports programs down the road, or at least get RU Athletics in a better place

That did set the MBB program back a lot, but it did improve the football program enough to have the B1G start noticing it.
Now it's a different story and Hobbs knows even though football needs to be taken care of RU MBB still needs the TLC it's receiving now and not be shortchanged because RU FB needs to get back to respectability .
FB will get the attention it needs, but REU MBB won't suffer because Hobbs knows that he can't afford to have RU MBB regress and keep a firm hold on his job.
So these hide your children's toys the Schiano Grinch is headed your way are totally unnecessary.
Different era, different football needs and basketball has enough power to protect itself from harm.
Schaino didn't kill MBB, the decision to base RU Athletics future on making football the face of Rutgers did and it worked.
Whether it was Schiano or someone else, the decision to have football drive the bus was a good one and now RU MBB can benefit form that.

Both programs can coexist now , because what was needed in 2001 was accomplished enough that other sports won't need to worry about football stealing their funds to upgrade facilities
to move the football program from a minor league style operation playing with the big boys. RU did what was necessary and doesn't have to do it again.

Last edited:

I asked for specifics about why Pikiell would be concerned with Schiano taking over. How is Schiano going to torpedo the basketball program for Pikiell? Cut the recruiting budget? Make the team fly commerical? The question was why Pikiell could see this as bad and affect him not what might happen 10 years from now. I love Jerry but he hates football and everything about it so when he talks about football I don't pay too much attention.

Basketball "getting a raw deal" during Schiano's reign had as much to do with Mulcahy's incompetence than anything Schiano did. Mulcahy rode Schiano's coattails in football and just did everything Schiano wanted. He didn't have a Schiano to tell him how to handle basketball so he did stuff like undermine head coaches with his meddling and make poor hiring decisions.

Last edited:
I asked for specifics about why Pikiell would be concerned with Schiano taking over. How is Schiano going to torpedo the basketball program for Pikiell? Cut the recruiting budget? Make the team fly commerical? The question was why Pikiell could see this as bad and affect him not what might happen 10 years from now. I love Jerry but he hates football and everything about it so when he talks about football I don't pay too much attention.

Basketball "getting a raw deal" during Schiano's reign had as much to do with Mulcahy's incompetence than anything Schiano did. Mulcahy rode Schiano's coattails in football and just did everything Schiano wanted. He didn't have a Schiano to tell him how to handle basketball so he did stuff like undermine head coaches with his meddling and make poor hiring decisions.

We'll see. I know everyone is blinded by the exciting possibility of Schiano coming back, but if he has input into the budget again like he did the last time (see the Pelzman article), I think he will pull from hoops and other sports again, which yes... means Pikiell's recruiting budget or assistant budget could get cut. I see no proof of Carino hating football (he's written positive articles about it), but he does want to see basketball get a fair shake.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
We'll see. I know everyone is blinded by the exciting possibility of Schiano coming back, but if he has input into the budget again like he did the last time (see the Pelzman article), I think he will pull from hoops and other sports again, which yes... means Pikiell's recruiting budget or assistant budget could get cut. I see no proof of Carino hating football (he's written positive articles about it), but he does want to see basketball get a fair shake.
Jerry LOVES college hoops and doesn’t really disguise his dislike for college football and the culture around it. Pretty obvious. He’d probably readily admit it too if you asked him. Rutgers may pull from other sports even indirectly when you factor in what it will cost to build a field house but no way are they going sacrifice men’s hoops under Pikiell. I’m a basketball first guy. I’m not worried. Football as is is really damaging the Rutgers name. We need Schiano now.

Jerry LOVES college hoops and doesn’t really disguise his dislike for college football and the culture around it. Pretty obvious. He’d probably admit too if you asked him. He may pull from other sports even indirectly when you factor in what it will cost to build a field house but no way are they going sacrifice men’s hoops under Pikiell. I’m a basketball first guy. I’m not worried

I hope you're right... but I am extremely worried.

I hope you're right... but I am extremely worried.
Frankly I’ve been more worried about Hobbs’ plans for the basketball program and specifically for the RAC gameday experience and the impact on our home court advantage. First was the destruction of section 118 and displacement of long time fans for what at best had to be minimal financial benefit. Hobbs has complained about the RAC lacking the revenue opportunities of club/premium/seating and I’m afraid that in that pursuit he will continue to water down what is the only advantage of our antiquated facility. If bringing back Schiano helps reverse the revenue problem that occurred under Ash then that alone will benefit the entire athletic department. Right now, it is killing us.

The loss of section 118 is temporary. Some athletic personnel has already moved to the RWJ Barnabas Center. Rodkin Center opens in 13 months and some will move there. Glass area over 118 becomes a VIP Club.

The loss of section 118 is temporary. Some athletic personnel has already moved to the RWJ Barnabas Center. Rodkin Center opens in 13 months and some will move there. Glass area over 118 becomes a VIP Club.
Sorry I don’t know what you mean by loss of section 118 is temporary. They removed the bleachers and replaced them with that premium seating thing. The glass area over 118 is handicapped section. You have to have handicapped accessible seating and that’s the only place where it can go. If you’re talking about making offices over the ticket office a club area for pre/postgame I could see that but that’s not what I’m talking about.

When Schiano took over the first time money was a lot tighter than it is now, even if it's still not generously handed out.
Mulcahy made a decision to put just about all the funds in the football program to improve it
and keep the status quo on MBB , which was OKed by McCormick because he gave Bob a free reign concerning Rutgers sports
Times are different now and the players above whoever is hired for the FB HC position aren't going to sacrifice the other RU sports programs
just to satisfy the football coach's demands.
When football needed to improve to make it more appealing ( when thinking about the future of Rutgers athletics), then the extra funding was needed and sadly there wasn't enough to keep from the on the cheap status quo for RUMBB and it showed the way that program sucked under Mulcahy's decision that improving Rutgers football was the only way to save the future of all RU sports programs down the road, or at least get RU Athletics in a better place

That did set the MBB program back a lot, but it did improve the football program enough to have the B1G start noticing it.
Now it's a different story and Hobbs knows even though football needs to be taken care of RU MBB still needs the TLC it's receiving now and not be shortchanged because RU FB needs to get back to respectability .
FB will get the attention it needs, but REU MBB won't suffer because Hobbs knows that he can't afford to have RU MBB regress and keep a firm hold on his job.
So these hide your children's toys the Schiano Grinch is headed your way are totally unnecessary.
Different era, different football needs and basketball has enough power to protect itself from harm.
Schaino didn't kill MBB, the decision to base RU Athletics future on making football the face of Rutgers did and it worked.
Whether it was Schiano or someone else, the decision to have football drive the bus was a good one and now RU MBB can benefit form that.

Both programs can coexist now , because what was needed in 2001 was accomplished enough that other sports won't need to worry about football stealing their funds to upgrade facilities
to move the football program from a minor league style operation playing with the big boys. RU did what was necessary and doesn't have to do it again.

There was another way. It was called fundraising.

Reactions: ruready07

Did we suddenly jump back in time to making $7mil. in the Big East again?

Reactions: LC-88
Wow you guys are paranoid .

In one breathe people are saying that what schiano and Mulcahy did are the reason we’re in the Big Ten
- which is great
But then in the next breathe they were terrible.

Let’s hang back on the criticism and give our people the benefit of doubt. I’m pretty sure this type of scrutiny does nothing positive for the advancement of our programs.

If we notice the basketball budget being cut, then say something.

Sorry I don’t know what you mean by loss of section 118 is temporary. They removed the bleachers and replaced them with that premium seating thing. The glass area over 118 is handicapped section. You have to have handicapped accessible seating and that’s the only place where it can go. If you’re talking about making offices over the ticket office a club area for pre/postgame I could see that but that’s not what I’m talking about.
Looks like a high school game behind that basket, it's embarrassing. Show me another Big ten court that looks like that.

Looks like a high school game behind that basket, it's embarrassing. Show me another Big ten court that looks like that.
You think the new section is an improvement over the old one? Our arena IS like a high school gym compared to rest of the Big Ten. Removing the bleachers and replacing them with what they have now is not an improvement in any way unless you're looking at it from the perspective of an opposing player like Marcus Toney-El.

You think the new section is an improvement over the old one? Our arena IS like a high school gym compared to rest of the Big Ten. Removing the bleachers and replacing them with what they have now is not an improvement in any way unless you're looking at it from the perspective of an opposing player like Marcus Toney-El.
I think it looks even worse now

Basketball program and Schiano now definitely not a good mix. I want Schiano here, but not at the expense of hoops.
Times are different.
Goals of the AD in 2001 and the 2019 AD re different priorities.
Now MBB is part of making Rutgers sports a winner and Hobbs will not ivert funds from the Men's Basketball program because there football program needs so much.
In 2001 Mulcahy had to put all eggs in the FB program's basket harming all the other programs because there wasn't enough funding to go around.
Funding isn't as much of a problem and the FB won't be taking from the other sports because football doesn't need like it did in 2001.

Every MBB fan should take a step back, Schiano isn't going to steal MBB Funding.

Dislike him as a HC if you want and hope he isn't hired for that reason. But don't look at him coming in like a thief in the night to steal the RAC and oppose his hiring because you feel basketball will suffer.
Hobbs didn't work on improving RU MBB just to give it away once it started improving..
Your worries are unwarranted and you should root for the best for all RU sports without thinking one sport getting better is going to make another sport worse.

What if a school wanted to hire Knight away from us and Pike needed an increased salary pool to keep his assistants, but the extra $$$ instead went to four more recruiting staffers for football? If you don’t think this type of thing happened all the time under Schiano last stop at RU, you were not playing attention.

Russ, I wrote this earlier—He thinks a School can’t be good in both sports. Just don’t tell this most years to Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and a certain school in Gainesville.

What if a school wanted to hire Knight away from us and Pike needed an increased salary pool to keep his assistants, but the extra $$$ instead went to four more recruiting staffers for football? If you don’t think this type of thing happened all the time under Schiano last stop at RU, you were not playing attention.
I just think in 2019 under Pikiell - and that was the point being made originally, that this would affect Pikiell - that we are in a different era. Now, if that affects actually building a new basketball arena, okay, but no one is talking about anything at that level anytime soon. Might it impact some facility improvements around the other non-revenue sports? I would think it could but the football situation is so dire for the athletic program overall that it needs a major overhaul.

Russ, I wrote this earlier—He thinks a School can’t be good in both sports. Just don’t tell this most years to Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and a certain school in Gainesville.
Gainesville has a rare athletic department err, Athletic Association, name a sport and UF is pretty darn good at it.

Basketball and football can both be successful but you need an athletic department committed to that.

Most SEC schools use football to help them recruit. Billy Donovan used to have Steve Spurrier meet basketball recruits.

Ideally there would be Synergy among the coaches. I was shocked that the RU MBB team was flying commercial in 2001. Wow

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT