ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

Im not blending or backtracking anything. 1. I said his productivity was severely hindered by poor guard play. And beyond him, the offense overall was broken. GG didn’t play in a vacuum. Nobody does. Many here blamed Cliff’s futility on Paul’s absence. Get it ?

2. And no, free throws and general shooting and scoring aren’t closely correlated (Simpson).

Can you show me someone who’s a great 3pt shooter (40%+) and a terrible FT shooter (60% or less) and has had significant attempts? Like one example?

Reactions: BossNJ and TRU2RU
Can you show me someone who’s a great 3pt shooter (40%+) and a terrible FT shooter (60% or less) and has had significant attempts? Like one example?
40%+ 3P% and sub-60% FT% on 100+ three point attempts and 75+ free throw attempts since 2008. Definitely a rarity.

8RnN1ma.png

So, on average, less than one of these unicorns every year.
Thank you. As I said - lots of good FT shooters aren’t efficient in game scorers because they don’t handle being contested. Very few poor FT shooters are recruited / touted for their sharp shooting abilities. The reverse is NOT true.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I never gave my general perspective on GG leaving. So here goes:

When he was sucking, and the peanut gallery was after him, calling him a bust, saying he didn't deserve the minutes he was getting, I was in the mix defending him. I thought, and still think, the kid has potential. In the last handful of games in a lost season, rooting for Gavin as a building block for the future was one of the only things I had left.

So when he hit the portal, I was really sad and upset. It definitely stung. A big reason why I was excited about Gavin was that I thought he was going to stick around. In today's world, talented kids who are willing to stick with a program, earn their minutes, and grow, are huge. I wasn't excited about what I was seeing on the floor. I was sincerely hoping that he would be a 5th option next year. But I thought he was a loyal kid and I saw the potential for growth...over time.

But he wasn't a loyal kid. He's more concerned with his role than the team's fortunes. And that seems to be the standard today. Next year he would have been competing for minutes with Martini, Ace, Dortch, Grant, JWill, and at least one other portal guy. And the next year after that there will be another freshmen class and new round of portal guys. Gavin's future here as a starter or a focal point of the offense was far from assured, even in years 3 and 4.

And so he wasn't interested in an honest battle for minutes and a traditional growth curve and pulled the plug.

And maybe this isn't fair, and maybe he needs to do what's best for him or whatever and loyalty doesn't matter, but...on behalf of me, and my kids that rooted for you and defended you all year, I say to Gavin: don't let the door hit you on the way out. Screw you and the Harry Potter donkey you rode in on.

I never gave my general perspective on GG leaving. So here goes:

When he was sucking, and the peanut gallery was after him, calling him a bust, saying he didn't deserve the minutes he was getting, I was in the mix defending him. I thought, and still think, the kid has potential. In the last handful of games in a lost season, rooting for Gavin as a building block for the future was one of the only things I had left.

So when he hit the portal, I was really sad and upset. It definitely stung. A big reason why I was excited about Gavin was that I thought he was going to stick around. In today's world, talented kids who are willing to stick with a program, earn their minutes, and grow, are huge. I wasn't excited about what I was seeing on the floor. I was sincerely hoping that he would be a 5th option next year. But I thought he was a loyal kid and I saw the potential for growth...over time.

But he wasn't a loyal kid. He's more concerned with his role than the team's fortunes. And that seems to be the standard today. Next year he would have been competing for minutes with Martini, Ace, Dortch, Grant, JWill, and at least one other portal guy. And the next year after that there will be another freshmen class and new round of portal guys. Gavin's future here as a starter or a focal point of the offense was far from assured, even in years 3 and 4.

And so he wasn't interested in an honest battle for minutes and a traditional growth curve and pulled the plug.

And maybe this isn't fair, and maybe he needs to do what's best for him or whatever and loyalty doesn't matter, but...on behalf of me, and my kids that rooted for you and defended you all year, I say to Gavin: don't let the door hit you on the way out. Screw you and the Harry Potter donkey you rode in on.
Yea, that’s an unfair overreaction. In his mind he left for a better opportunity just like Cam and Paul and Simpson etc. Did you ever change jobs ?

My dissatisfaction isn’t with him but with his utilization. Sure, he missed a lot of shots. The difference between a high percentage outside shooter and a low percentage shooter is often due to the good looks the offense creates. Take Sandford or as you will see with Martini and in our offense they wouldn’t be any better than GG.

GG did force bad shots at times because he wasn’t going to get better ones.

Yea, that’s an unfair overreaction. In his mind he left for a better opportunity just like Cam and Paul and Simpson etc. Did you ever change jobs ?

My dissatisfaction isn’t with him but with his utilization. Sure, he missed a lot of shots. The difference between a high percentage outside shooter and a low percentage shooter is often due to the good looks the offense creates. Take Sandford or as you will see with Martini and in our offense they wouldn’t be any better than GG.

That would make sense if it were true. I have watched more college basketball games than I care to admit. There is no difference between the shots that GG got and the shots other teams consistently make. In fact, on the best teams they are taking and making way more impressive shots in terms of doing it fast, contested, and under pressure.

Do you announce to your boss and all your colleagues that you have your dream job that you will not leave and then after proving basically nothing on the job leave after a year for some unknown destination?

In your world is it ever the player's responsibility to drill? To make their body physically ready for college? To actually move on the floor appropriately to get open? To hit open shots or even contested shots? To hit foul shots at a decent clip? To listen and learn about defense and not miss assignments?

I mean wtf? I guess you do not believe in personal accountability of a player needing to execute. Any good coach will never chastise a player for missing a good shot opportunity......but if a guy is forcing up bad shots because he feels he can't get better ones....his ass should be on the bench because he is a detriment to the entire team.

Oskar was the better player last year. But, the rationale of giving GG more minutes was to develop him for the future because his ceiling was much higher. At this point, it obviously doesn’t matter. And I agree, GG may or may not pan out at another school.
And what did that accomplish. He isnt here. Some players didnt pass him the ball. Chemistry was bad.

Maybe the season would have gone completely different if Pike played the best and was fair to the rest.

And what did that accomplish. He isnt here. Some players didnt pass him the ball. Chemistry was bad.

Maybe the season would have gone completely different if Pike played the best and was fair to the rest.
GG didn’t pass either. Lots of drives into a crowd with our one good 3pt shooter set up on the line and no kickouts. Just bad forced shots.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Do you announce to your boss and all your colleagues that you have your dream job that you will not leave and then after proving basically nothing on the job leave after a year for some unknown destination?

In your world is it ever the player's responsibility to drill? To make their body physically ready for college? To actually move on the floor appropriately to get open? To hit open shots or even contested shots? To hit foul shots at a decent clip? To listen and learn about defense and not miss assignments?

I mean wtf? I guess you do not believe in personal accountability of a player needing to execute. Any good coach will never chastise a player for missing a good shot opportunity......but if a guy is forcing up bad shots because he feels he can't get better ones....his ass should be on the bench because he is a detriment to the entire team.
billydeewilliamsclapping.gif

That would make sense if it were true. I have watched more college basketball games than I care to admit. There is no difference between the shots that GG got and the shots other teams consistently make. In fact, on the best teams they are taking and making way more impressive shots in terms of doing it fast, contested, and under pressure.
Well then you haven’t watched any good offense. Were you watching when Hummel commented in dismay/disbelief during a game that we weren’t running any offense at all ? Pure playground shitshow. Watch Martini highlights and you will see wide open looks that GG, Hyatt and Oskar never got.

I am telling you, our outside scorers weren’t helped at all, in stark contrast to many other teams. If you don’t see that, maybe start watching bowling where there isn’t any nuance.

Well then you haven’t watched any good offense. Were you watching when Hummel commented in dismay/disbelief during a game that we weren’t running any offense at all ? Pure playground shitshow. Watch Martini highlights and you will see wide open looks that GG, Hyatt and Oskar never got.

I am telling you, our outside scorers weren’t helped at all, in stark contrast to many other teams. If you don’t see that, maybe start watching bowling where there isn’t any nuance.

And yet you still haven’t explained why Hyatt’s shooting numbers improved with these worse guards. Nor have you explained why Noah was able to get shots off to shoot at a respectable percent. Or Austin William’s. Gavin was the only recruited sharp shooter on the team who finished under 30%.

Austin Williams ? He’s a terrible shooter. And how convenient that you forget most here complained all year that Noah wasn’t any good either (except after the Wisconsin game).

None of the players you mention had good shooting seasons. None. Oskar either. the reason is obvious. The offense didn’t generate good looks.

All of them would have been much more productive on teams with real offense instead of playground nonsense.

Austin Williams ? He’s a terrible shooter. And how convenient that you forget most here complained all year that Noah wasn’t any good either (except after the Wisconsin game).

None of the players you mention had good shooting seasons. None. Oskar either. the reason is obvious. The offense didn’t generate good looks.

All of them would have been much more productive on teams with real offense instead of playground nonsense.
I did not say any of those players were “good”. I said that Gavin shot the 3 ball worse than all of them - specifically, worse than everyone except the primary ball handlers on the team and the centers.

Yes, Noah was a terrible three point shooter if you don’t count the times he shot well.

40%+ 3P% and sub-60% FT% on 100+ three point attempts and 75+ free throw attempts since 2008. Definitely a rarity.

8RnN1ma.png

Thanks for the data kcg88.

So in the last 16 years there are 12 examples out of I’m guessing thousands that shoot 40%+ over that time. This is Shelby’s base case though - Gavin would be #13 if he was only in a different offense. So you’re saying there’s a chance.

Funny but I didn’t bash NF. Most everyone else did, probably including you.
That’s actually true, I misread your post.

I don’t think I “bashed” him but he didn’t really pan out here. It wasn’t because of bad three point shooting though.

I think he was a wiling passer…when he didnt chuck up a shot the minute he touched it!
I recall the PSU game in particular where GG had a good start, had a dunk and a 3 I think. And then went cold but was trying to force the action all game. and one time he drove 1 on 3 and Noah was perfectly set up all alone at the line waiting for the kickout that never came. And Gavin got predictably stripped. And the look on Noah’s face told a whole story.

That’s actually true, I misread your post.

I don’t think I “bashed” him but he didn’t really pan out here. It wasn’t because of bad three point shooting though.

Nope - he just brought up other people complaining about Noah to deflect away from the point that was made. The point was that other guys, including Noah made a higher percentage of their perimeter shots than Gavin.

Nope - he just brought up other people complaining about Noah to deflect away from the point that was made. The point was that other guys, including Noah made a higher percentage of their perimeter shots than Gavin.
Must be because of all the open looks they got because of Gavin’s excellent selfless passing.

• Haha
Reactions: RRRRUUUU
To add

1. We have a PG already
2. It would be an inefficient use of his talent
3. He would be asked to be a primary ball handler, run the offense, play defense and score. Too much on a freshman plate
Steve has traditionally run the offense through multiple players. Last year he used Paul, Cam and Caleb at various points in a game. As the rosters stands now, Dylan, Tyson and JWill will all take turns.

Reactions: seansherm

That really would have cut Gavin’s minutes.

That really would have cut Gavin’s minutes.
You have to develop your younger players. Being “fair” doesn’t mean unstrategically giving tons of PT to a bunch of mediocre one year rentals and not developing a raw freshman with potential with an eye to the next season when he’ll be needed.

Reactions: RUDivision
You have to develop your younger players. Being “fair” doesn’t mean unstrategically giving tons of PT to a bunch of mediocre one year rentals and not developing a raw freshman with potential with an eye to the next season when he’ll be needed.
I get why he got the minutes he did.

Yes - and no. It’s one thing to continue to give a kid opportunities to step up. Quite another to allow them to do things that hurt the team and continue playing situationally in that moment. In travel BB many towns have rules in the younger grades requiring every kid to play equal time. I understand why this is done, but when my kid does something stupid, I’d actually prefer the coach pull him out so he learns. That’s just me (I realize others don’t necessarily think this way).

Some people do. Shitty job hoppers that only care about themselves and suck as employees. Some are very successful.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT