ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Maryland at Yankee Stadium, per source

Who is this Delaney you guys keep bringing up?

Do you mean Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany?
Seriously. Please get it right. And this has nothing to do with him or the Big Ten. This is a dumb ass move by the former Seton Hall AD.

Reactions: Abro1975
Holy freaking drama. Can we wait for the details to come out? The reasoning? Do I like it..nope. Can it be a fun weekend in the city? Yup. Get a hotel, go out for a nice dinner, Nuts can plan a party, and everyone can take the subway over. We have a five page thread on cursive and how "things change". Guess what guys......things change in places outside the classroom as well. B1G and money say to jump....we simply ask how high.

A special message from Pat Hobbs to all season ticket holders!
SnapGalleries180311.article_x4.jpg

Reactions: motorb54
Holy freaking drama. Can we wait for the details to come out? The reasoning? Do I like it..nope. Can it be a fun weekend in the city? Yup. Get a hotel, go out for a nice dinner, Nuts can plan a party, and everyone can take the subway over. We have a five page thread on cursive and how "things change". Guess what guys......things change in places outside the classroom as well. B1G and money say to jump....we simply ask how high.

There is no reasoning that would make it ok

Reactions: MoobyCow
I really hope that this is not a sign of things to come. This totally sucks for 99% of the fanbase.

Im sure he has GREAT reasoning. It still sucks, and fans will still be angry.

Reactions: vkj91
I couldn't care less about you season ticket holders and your self interest, inconvenience, fear of the big city or any other bullshit excuses you come up with for not going.All I care about is maximizing the football team's opportunity to win. Moving home conference games to Yankee Stadium undermines that opportunity. Why give away the edge?
Your first sentence feeds the second and third sentence of your post. Disgruntled, inconvenienced fans will not go, minimizing the team's opportunity to win by taking away the home crowd factor. Putz.

Reactions: koleszar
Your first sentence feeds the second and third sentence of your post. Disgruntled, inconvenienced fans will not go, minimizing the team's opportunity to win by taking away the home crowd factor. Putz.
Outside of PSU, Michigan, Lville, and maybe MSU can you illustrate examples of this home field advantage? Let's be honest, if we are around 500 we aren't packing the point and we definitely aren't going crazy for Maryland. This game will be a night game on BTN and if fans want it to be it will be a fun weekend.

Outside of PSU, Michigan, Lville, and maybe MSU can you illustrate examples of this home field advantage? Let's be honest, if we are around 500 we aren't packing the point and we definitely aren't going crazy for Maryland. This game will be a night game on BTN and if fans want it to be it will be a fun weekend.

We'd definitely draw MORE if this game were on our campus...no way around this.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Its one game. Get over it. What a bunch of little bitches.
It's a f-ing home game against a conference opponent! Obviously you are not a season ticket holder who pays through the nose for priority points to have great seats and a good parking spot.
And its a terrible trend to start! The fact that Yankee Stadium is a god awful venue for football is more than enough to question this piss poor decision

Last edited:
Did you go to the last few games there? The views absolutely suck. I actually had to spend one game just watching the jumbotron because the sight line was so poor. There aren't many good seats in the house. Yeah they'll have one good reason $$$$$. The rest will be a bunch of mumbo jumbo about great opportunity(done it already a few times) exposure to NY. Don't need the reasons to come out, you've already heard them before, it all comes down to $$$$. After 3 times of sh*tty views I'll have to sit this one out, my TV has a better picture than that stupid jumbo tron.

...don't like a single thing about this. Yesterday I said I could see us entertaining it the Yankees offered like $7 million; now I say that's wayyyy too cheap. This is a lousy, crappy and dangerous precedent to set. Why are we raising money for a B1G Build fund if you're going to sell us out anyway?
Maybe the next time I get a donation request in the mail I should forward it to Yankee Stadium or MSG.

Joe P.

Its one game. Get over it. What a bunch of little bitches.

One game ? You are clueless.
This is start of a "partnership" between the Yankees and Rutgers as Hobbs stated earlier this week.
At least Hobbs will get a chance to work on his sissy throws to Home Plate.

The Rutgers fan base is by nature an easily disgruntled, inconvenienced lot- even in Piscataway. Nonetheless, there are advantages of playing at HPSS . No need to take those advantages away by moving the game if you don't have to.

Reactions: chrisru99
The Rutgers fan base is by nature an easily disgruntled, inconvenienced lot- even in Piscataway. Nonetheless, there are advantages of playing at HPSS . No need to take those advantages away by moving the game if you don't have to.
On this we agree. Dumb to move the game.

BTW we all got crappy seats, no where near we should have been. We paid more, at a football stadium and sat outside the midfield seats. The is no good seats at YS

Yeah this sucks for season ticket holders and for anyone who lives in New Jersey. But what about the students? The one's that pay that sports fee that the SL is always so bothered about? Just how many seats are going to be reserved for them since they've already paid? And is RU going to pay to bus them to the game? I think not. As usual the Yankees will hold onto the best tickets for themselves, put the season ticket holders in crap seats and squeeze out the student section.

But Maryland will be able to buy more tickets so that's wonderful.

DON'T DO THIS HOBBS!!!!!!!!!!

hobbes_500.jpg

Considering all the issues with media trying to break news I'm inclined to wait and to see how this plays out BUT if it is true---this is my thought---
Regardless of the reason why we might have to have a game there, the experience as a spectator is subpar and RU should be mindful of that considering how badly they plead for those same fans to continuously donate. I've been to all our games there and Yankees do nothing to try to enhance the experience including with the bowls which were pretty terrible no matter who you were rooting for (unless you are part of the actual team).
Also for those who brought it up, in my opinion this deal was happening regardless of how slow or fast donations were rolling in. And as much as Hobbs/ash leave it 'up in the air' about the potential of it all you're not throwing the first pitch and getting all that publicity this past week without selling out your soul.

Last edited:
Giving up a home conference game sucks for you guys. As a neutral site OOC game sure, it adds a defacto 8th home game, unless it was against 'Cuse of course.

I can't imagine Ash is on board with this decision and hopefully the source is wrong.

Before anyone has a meltdown over the Cuse comment it was 100% sarcastic.

If the game is being moved, you can bet that the Yankee$ are paying big money to get it. Unless YOU can out bid the Yankee$ to keep to game at HPSS all your emails and phones calls won't mean a thing.

But it WASNT included in the season ticket package. It was extra.
The Meadowlands game vs Army was part of the season ticket package and cost more than the games at Rutgers Stadium. If you bought season tickets for Rutgers football, you paid for the game at the Meadowlands.

Per Dunleavy at the APP, this is not a done deal.
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...rs-football-maryland-yankee-stadium/85013302/

Strange comment in his story though:
"The 2017 Big Ten schedule already is in place and calls for Rutgers to host Maryland on Nov. 4. The game is scheduled for High Point Solutions Stadium in Piscataway, so Rutgers would be losing a whole game.":eek:

Yeah, not a done deal, as in the contract isn't signed. But if this was leaked from the Maryland side, that probably means that Rutgers has approached Maryland to see if they're ok with moving the game to Yankee Stadium. That makes this a lot more probable than Hobbs just saying "We'll think about it" during his visit to Yankee Stadium.

Keep sending emails to Hobbs.

OSU-Michigan-PSU-Michigan State-Nebraska will all start asking to play at the Meadowlands.

You made a deal with the devil, now you will lose something important that you once had in the BE, leverage. This is exactly why I wished the ACC would have extended an invite first.

Last edited:
In 2001,the Yankees were still playing world series games on November 4th. Hopefully they will want to keep that day open just in case.

I am not sure that the B1G is behind this. They have already expressed concern over "fan fatigue" in conjunction with teams going to the same bowl locations over and over again. Therefore all bowls except for the top ones can only select a team twice in the six year cycle. Over the next 5 or 6 years (I forget what year this bowl contact started) the Pinstripe bowl will probably be selecting Rutgers twice. Therefore, if this game happens, there could possibly be three games at the Stadium in six years.

Combine that with the games that have already been played there in the last few years and the comments on this board, and I think there is plenty of "fan fatigue".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT