ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Travels to In-State Rival No. 3 Princeton Saturday

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
PISCATAWAY, N.J. Rutgers men's lacrosse will face an in-state rival this weekend on the road, as the Scarlet Knights will match up against third-ranked Princeton in the annual battle for the 'Tots Meistrell Cup'. The longest-running rivalry in Rutgers lacrosse history will be contested for the 98th time.

Saturday's game begins at 1 p.m. A live stream will be available through ESPN+ with Cody Chrusciel and Dave Giancola on the on the call.

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...o-in-state-rival-no-3-princeton-saturday.aspx

Understand that the Vegas line for Rutgers FO wins today is 6.5. Who’s going with the over?

What am i mosding? I just saw a final scire of 15-14 OT on Scarlet Knights.com. Either i am getting to be an old dumb senile person or SK.com is getting worse each day. Someone please correct me...please!

I just corrected myself...looks like something I do believe...Scarletknights.com absolutely sucks! It's horrible. But if you dig then you are able to follow something but to get there is not too easy or convenient especially from a cellphone. Do anyothers find the same problem?

Last edited:
Tigers dominated the 2nd up 6-4 at half.
I just don't want to see us fade in the last quarter. This seems to be one of our problems. Don't know if it's coaching and game strategy, player inattentiveness and poor decisions, conditioning? or just plain bad luck. I really have no clue and am.sure all involved give their best...staff and players but it's frustrating to see.

I just don't want to see us fade in the last quarter. This seems to be one of our problems. Don't know if it's coaching and game strategy, player inattentiveness and poor decisions, conditioning? or just plain bad luck. I really have no clue and am.sure all involved give their best...staff and players but it's frustrating to see.

Def not “coaching”...our coaching is GREAT!!!

Won't be too many wins this year unfortunately..
Right now it's sad to see. Hopefully things might get sqaured away in time to
compete better during the B1G
schedule. The big issue still is fsceoff control. 50/50 would be great but the current ratio is unacceptable if you want to win.

Last edited:
I was only able to follow the score on Inside Lacrosse. It looked like they were able to control Sowers early. Was it a matter of the D wearing down as the game progressed?

To the negatoids...just lay off the coach. There is no one at Rutgers who works as hard as Brecht and who keeps alumni uptodate on the progress of the program. It seems that poor luck mostly involving key injuries have hit the program again this year and of course to Chambelnides in the past. As previously noted the B1G schedule is still ahead. Let's hope the major issue can be resolved....faceoff parity

Reactions: biazza38
Men’s Lacrosse Falls at No. 3 Princeton

The Rutgers men's lacrosse team dropped a tough road matchup to No. 3 Princeton on Saturday, falling by a score of 16-11. Kieran Mullins led the way for the Scarlet Knights, scoring three goals for his first hat trick of the season, while also adding an assist. David Sprock also put in three goals, while Adam Charalambides added two goals and dished out three assists for a five-point performance. Ryan Gallagher had two goals, and Brennan Kamish had the other tally for the Scarlet Knights.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2020/3/7/mens-lacrosse-falls-at-no-3-princeton.aspx

To the negatoids...just lay off the coach. There is no one at Rutgers who works as hard as Brecht and who keeps alumni uptodate on the progress of the program. It seems that poor luck mostly involving key injuries have hit the program again this year and of course to Chambelnides in the past. As previously noted the B1G schedule is still ahead. Let's hope the major issue can be resolved....faceoff parity
9 years without an NCAA tournament berth, going on 10. That’s unacceptable.

To the negatoids...just lay off the coach.

No. There is NOBODY else to blame for our FOGO issues but him. Period. The rest is great and all, and YES we got screwed twice, but enough with this “Brecht is God” crap. Please. He lost to freakin’ Stony Brook!!!

Same old bs critics who never probably never played the game except for gym class as i see it. Was the coach out on the field playing? Did he go after a fogo player and either the guy got hurt or didn't want Rutgers. We should have been in the NCAA'S a couple of timed and got.screwed. Doesn't help recruiting. And of course there was a Bsrchi who suspended Brecht fir the last game of the season and when there was a lacrosse alumni event planned which was cancelled because a parent unfairly claimed her/his son was being mistreated. Brecht of course was cleared as he should have been as he is a class act.
But another knee jerk dumbass reaction by Barchi. Do things like this help recruiting? I'll stand behind the coach. Certainly better and in touch with the lacrosse and Rutgers lacrosse community than the two prior gentlemen.

Might I add Stony Brook is 5-2 with a win over Brown. They are a very good lacrosse team as we found out. Parity has set in with many schools now being very competitive. Go and check some scores. How does one explain Marist beating Army after Army waxing us.

No question having an excellent faceoff player changes the game and possesion opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
Same old bs critics who never probably never played the game except for gym class as i see it. Was the coach out on the field playing? Did he go after a fogo player and either the guy got hurt or didn't want Rutgers. We should have been in the NCAA'S a couple of timed and got.screwed. Doesn't help recruiting. And of course there was a Bsrchi who suspended Brecht fir the last game of the season and when there was a lacrosse alumni event planned which was cancelled because a parent unfairly claimed her/his son was being mistreated. Brecht of course was cleared as he should have been as he is a class act.
But another knee jerk dumbass reaction by Barchi. Do things like this help recruiting? I'll stand behind the coach. Certainly better and in touch with the lacrosse and Rutgers lacrosse community than the two prior gentlemen.

Might I add Stony Brook is 5-2 with a win over Brown. They are a very good lacrosse team as we found out. Parity has set in with many schools now being very competitive. Go and check some scores. How does one explain Marist beating Army after Army waxing us.

No question having an excellent faceoff player changes the game and possesion opportunities.

I'm dizzy from your spin. The record and the state of the program is not acceptable, boss. It's going to get worse before it gets better. This isn't your town's 4th grade lacrosse team. Winning matters and there ain't gonna be much winning this season.

I am not sure we need to beat a dead horse like this. We are not going to fix our fogo issues right now. I did see an uptick in wing play on Saturday and if we can continue that we could be ok. at one point Lloyd was 9 of 14 at the face-off X. Our kid is battling his butt off. At this time all the rest of it is irrelevant.

I am not sure we need to beat a dead horse like this. We are not going to fix our fogo issues right now. I did see an uptick in wing play on Saturday and if we can continue that we could be ok. at one point Lloyd was 9 of 14 at the face-off X. Our kid is battling his butt off. At this time all the rest of it is irrelevant.
How did we do in ground balls?

Agree on this...Lloyd battled hard, really hard...really not much else to say in terms of the continued chatter...nobody is happy with the performance and that's it...

The issues at the FO-X tend to leak down into other position groups...not immediately, but through out the course of a game...when possessions get lopsided, it's puts a tremendous amount of pressure on your defensive units to play near perfect including the keeper...it bleeds into the offensive side as they have to be more perfect in execution and they need to make every possession count...which puts pressure on guys individually to press...and sometimes when kids press, mistakes and bad things happen...and then you get what happened to us in the 3rd qtr at Princeton...

The young men are battling hard, they are a tight group, and they are sticking together and playing for each other...they will work hard this week and prepare....

Everyone is frustrated...everyone...

All I can say is this team is gonna win some games this year and win some that nobody right here and right now think they can win...I feel it, and it's just a gut feeling...and I could be wrong, but I just think they will string some games together from mid March to mid April...

Agree on this...Lloyd battled hard, really hard...really not much else to say in terms of the continued chatter...nobody is happy with the performance and that's it...

The issues at the FO-X tend to leak down into other position groups...not immediately, but through out the course of a game...when possessions get lopsided, it's puts a tremendous amount of pressure on your defensive units to play near perfect including the keeper...it bleeds into the offensive side as they have to be more perfect in execution and they need to make every possession count...which puts pressure on guys individually to press...and sometimes when kids press, mistakes and bad things happen...and then you get what happened to us in the 3rd qtr at Princeton...

The young men are battling hard, they are a tight group, and they are sticking together and playing for each other...they will work hard this week and prepare....

Everyone is frustrated...everyone...

All I can say is this team is gonna win some games this year and win some that nobody right here and right now think they can win...I feel it, and it's just a gut feeling...and I could be wrong, but I just think they will string some games together from mid March to mid April...
So how are we doing with ground balls?

Hustle is hustle.

9 years without an NCAA tournament berth, going on 10. That’s unacceptable.

You can keep saying that, but you should also say that 2 of those years we were fully deserving. NCAA aside, he took the program to the finals of the B1G tournament, had the team ranked 1, and just graduated the class with the most wins ever. All with high school facilities.

Try and be objective. It will help calm you down a little bit.

Has this not also been a big problem the last couple of seasons?
Those who see me in these threads know this is something (other than the final score) I always ask about....ground balls

Last edited:
"The issues at the FO-X tend to leak down into other position groups...not immediately, but through out the course of a game...when possessions get lopsided, it's puts a tremendous amount of pressure on your defensive units to play near perfect including the keeper...it bleeds into the offensive side as they have to be more perfect in execution and they need to make every possession count...which puts pressure on guys individually to press...and sometimes when kids press, mistakes and bad things happen...and then you get what happened to us in the 3rd qtr at Princeton.."

Thanks for this concise analysis without pointing fingers at kids or the staff. It is what it is. And it's sad for everyone involved. FOs have hurt for a few years. So, let's agree that it's bottomed out and that it doesn't matter whether it's systemic or bad luck.

Reactions: Golfer2019
TO's outside of the Army game last year (their ride really gave us fits), haven't been in issue. In fact, we've been a really good clearing team the last 5 years.

Groundball ratio against Princeton is something to look at. That's a big difference. I didn't see the game but that stat stood out immediately. And the fact we did a bit better on faceoffs.

There are some teams where “scrappyness” is in their DNA. Obviously Army fits that category, Navy as well for obvious reasons. St. John’s and Albany have always struck me that way. You could put OSU in that category, though they are borderline dirty vs. scrappy. When you face these teams you better strap it on or you will get knocked around and that shows up most clearly in GBs and turnovers to a lesser extent. I would not rate us high on the scrappy meter in recent years, but historically we are not soft either. We are usually pretty strong in turnover ratio, which is as much about skill and coaching as it is about hustle. We’ve been about average in GBs — around 50/50 give or take. To me, this year in an anomaly. I think we play soft and it’s frustrating.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Rbled - heard a few interesting things I’d like to keep off the board. Not great developments. Some concerns regarding a certain high profile new hire and what that means down the trough.

Has this not also been a big problem the last couple of seasons?
Sorry been busy. here are stats on three metrics: ground balls Faceoffs and Turnovers.

GBS FO TO's
20' -63 -58 -33
16-19' +21 -18.7 +37.25 (this is an average for these four years)

I used an average from 2016-2019 just to get an idea. Clearly this appears to be an anomaly.

Our best face- off year was 2017 where we were plus 26 but it has been a downward trend for the last two years.
This is the first year in a while that turnovers have been an issue.
Hope that answers your question

Rbled - heard a few interesting things I’d like to keep off the board. Not great developments. Some concerns regarding a certain high profile new hire and what that means down the trough.
Hmmm, sounds ominous. Share via text or email if you can. Looks like it may not matter for this season though. Only a matter of time before the whole season is cancelled imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT