ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers won the lottery

No doubt. And it takes time for the areas where he struggled to impact game outcomes. The point I’m making is that given our administration wasn’t willing to spring for an accomplished coach, it’s hindsight 20 / 20 to say Tim should’ve rolled the dice with an unproven instead of promoting Flood. And then he took us to 3 straight bowl games, so again, if you don’t have the funds to bring in a proven guy, it seems like a major reach to say Tim should’ve fired him at any point in the first 3 years.
Tim was only there for one of those seasons . He resigned as AD after that season.

Sorry Shill. That was one of my favorite seasons ever. The drubbings vs. Cincy, Houston and UCF set us up for the dramatic bowl-clinching victory at the end of the season during a 20-degree night vs. a shivering USF team. Flood stared all of his critics down on that historic night and made a statement. Adversity builds character.
Lol !! Sarcasm I hope !!

Tim was only there for one of those seasons . He resigned as AD after that season.
That’s right. The point still stands. Under his watch, Flood was 9-4 as HC. Whether or not he had been named interim at first doesn’t matter. After his first year, pretty much any AD would’ve retained him.

That’s right. The point still stands. Under his watch, Flood was 9-4 as HC. Whether or not he had been named interim at first doesn’t matter. After his first year, pretty much any AD would’ve retained him.
Some of us fans knew “flood was a dud” in 2012 and 2013 and needed to move on. Obviously , and not hire a guy like ash who got us smashed.
Sad thing is the people that got paid to make these sections knew less than these great fans. That’s the problem .
LSU paid $18 million to fire a guy that won a national championship less than 2 years before that !

Some of us fans knew “flood was a dud” in 2012 and 2013 and needed to move on. Obviously , and not hire a guy like ash who got us smashed.
Sad thing is the people that got paid to make these sections knew less than these great fans. That’s the problem .
LSU paid $18 million to fire a guy that won a national championship less than 2 years before that !
No - the real problem was we weren’t willing to pay market price for the replacement for GS. When you go with an unproven, your rolling the dice. For every PJ Fleck there are far more Ash types out there lurking. PJ Fleck, by the way was 1-11 in his first year at Western Michigan in 2013 - so nobody would’ve thought at that time to replace Flood with him. If your gonna blame Tim for Flood, you at least have to be realistic about the risks of ending up with someone a lot worse (which were our reality).

No - the real problem was we weren’t willing to pay market price for the replacement for GS. When you go with an unproven, your rolling the dice. For every PJ Fleck there are far more Ash types out there lurking. PJ Fleck, by the way was 1-11 in his first year at Western Michigan in 2013 - so nobody would’ve thought at that time to replace Flood with him. If your gonna blame Tim for Flood, you at least have to be realistic about the risks of ending up with someone a lot worse (which were our reality).
Not sure how much worse flood could have been . Any halfway decent coach could have kept the program average taking over for GS. The team was on auto pilot in 2012 and went 9-4. A real coach in 2012 and we probably win the sugar bowl.
The guy destroyed everything GS built within 4. 5 years on and off the field . The only way it could have been worse wAs if he didn’t have those nice moments in 2014 - Michigan , unc , and navy . That I give him credit for . Navy was an underrated win after the Penn state debacle
I do agree with you that the school should have paid up in 2012 for a replacement.

Not sure how much worse flood could have been . Any halfway decent coach could have kept the program average taking over for GS. The team was on auto pilot in 2012 and went 9-4. A real coach in 2012 and we probably win the sugar bowl.
The guy destroyed everything GS built within 4. 5 years on and off the field . The only way it could have been worse wAs if he didn’t have those nice moments in 2014 - Michigan , unc , and navy . That I give him credit for . Navy was an underrated win after the Penn state debacle
I do agree with you that the school should have paid up in 2012 for a replacement.
The bottom line is we can’t know what someone else could have done better. Only one modern era RU football team ever won more than the 9 games Flood won that year. If you think it couldn’t get worse than 3 bowl trips because we were too talented to not go bowling well I don’t know what to tell you. It got worse. Flood literally lost his whole defense and we held serve against the Kansas types and were still competitive in a lot of games in 2015. Peek ahead to what we looked like a year later with a materially worse game day / player development coach, and well, that says it all. Yes, it could get worse.

Last edited:
To Think hiring the Miami hurricane defensive coordinator was a risk, one would have to overlook or not be aware of how truly awful and without respect the rutgers program was at the at the time gs was hired. The fact that Mulcahe put a full court press on Darnell, who went back to west mich, says it all.

every coaching higher for the football program is a risk. But hiring a guy from New Jersey who was the current defensive coordinator for the top football program of the time was not a particularly risky move. In fact it may be the safest move one could make. But let’s be clear, it’s not as if Marquez saw him out and got it done. No defensive coordinator from Miami was going to have any interest in rutgers. It was only that ‘Greg was from Jerzy and it always been intrigued by Rutgers that the whole thing got going. Mulcahy fell into Greg as a hire. He didn’t beat the bushes and find some unknown gem. Gs what is a Defense a Cordova from Miami and was not flying under anyone’s radar who knew anything about football at the time. Yes The hiire was a great one But a damn lucky one.

The bottom line is we can’t know what someone else could have done better. Only one modern era RU football team ever won more than the 9 games Flood won that year. If you think it couldn’t get worse than 3 bowl trips because we were too talented to not go bowling well I don’t know what to tell you. It got worse. Flood literally lost his whole defense and we held serve against the Kansas types and were still competitive in a lot of games in 2015. Peek ahead to what we looked like a year later with a materially worse game day / player development coach, and well, that says it all. Yes, it could get worse.
You would have won 7 or 8 games id you were HC of that 2012 team .

The 2013 season was a disaster. Absolutely destroyed at home by Houston and Cincinnati and smacked around on the road vs. UCF. Squeaked past a terrible Temple team. Please don’t defend it.
Agreed. The 2013 game against Cincinnati was the first time I ever left a Rutgers home game at halftime (down 38-7, after being destroyed by Houston just a couple weeks earlier).

People in this thread don’t remember how close Flood was to getting fired that year. Donors were pushing Julie to fire Flood and hire then-MSU DC Pat Narduzzi, and I seem to recall donors promised to fund Flood’s buyout IF she were to hire Narduzzi.

Julie was listening, but ultimately, with Flood saving the season against USF to become bowl eligible, and Julie (and perhaps others in the administration) not wanting to bank on a coach (Narduzzi) who had no head coaching experience AGAIN, Flood was retained.

Ash would not have made a bowl. An interim high school coach led us to victory against a respectable Liberty team with a roster far worse than some of the early rosters Ash had that lost to the Eastern Michigan and Buffalo types.
Ash had lost the team at that point .
If you want to keep arguing with me fine . But the fact is flood stunk and so did ash . Look at the conference records and where each guy left the program . Both left the program far worse than when they inherited it

Mulcahy had a lot more to do with it than Pernetti.
Not true. Pernetti who had tremendous experience in college sports programming worked with Delaney to create the Big Ten Network. Pernetti gave Delaney the blueprint for the successful Big Ten Network. And Delaney is from South Orange New Jersey and understood the importance of the New York City metro for his new network. Their was a understanding between the two that Rutgers would eventually get in the B1G. That is why for years Tim had a silent confidence about him that Rutgers would join the B1G. The combination of the two is why Rutgers is in the B1G today.

Last edited:
Ash had lost the team at that point .
If you want to keep arguing with me fine . But the fact is flood stunk and so did ash . Look at the conference records and where each guy left the program . Both left the program far worse than when they inherited it
Ash had lost the team at what point? Which year? Eastern Michigan? Buffalo? The blow out loss to Kansas? Which one? He wasn’t there for the Liberty game I was talking about. That was when we finally beat someone other than Howard and those types of wins werent always easy either with him. His regime was just one drawn out nightmare. Nothing positive to speak of.

You can’t compare their tenures by only looking at the finite point in time when each left the program. Flood’s tenure was tarnished by an off court scandal that he is very much responsible for. But right before that Rutgers was riding high from a bowl win over UNC and an 8-5 record in the BIG. Your making it like he had an OSU or Alabama like roster those first 3 years. We had some talent, but his regime also developed some players like Mike Burton and deserves credit for that. We weren’t predicted by any of the talking heads to make a bowl game that first year in the BIG.

Moreover - to the original point, I don’t think what your suggesting is accurate in that any Joe off the street could’ve been hired and brought Rutgers to 3 straight bowls from 2012-2014. I think Ash would’ve done much much worse.

Ash had lost the team at what point? Which year? Eastern Michigan? Buffalo? The blow out loss to Kansas? Which one? He wasn’t there for the Liberty game I was talking about. That was when we finally beat someone other than Howard and those types of wins werent always easy either with him. His regime was just one drawn out nightmare. Nothing positive to speak of.

You can’t compare their tenures by only looking at the finite point in time when each left the program. Flood’s tenure was tarnished by an off court scandal that he is very much responsible for. But right before that Rutgers was riding high from a bowl win over UNC and an 8-5 record in the BIG. Your making it like he had an OSU or Alabama like roster those first 3 years. We had some talent, but his regime also developed some players like Mike Burton and deserves credit for that. We weren’t predicted by any of the talking heads to make a bowl game that first year in the BIG.

Moreover - to the original point, I don’t think what your suggesting is accurate in that any Joe off the street could’ve been hired and brought Rutgers to 3 straight bowls from 2012-2014. I think Ash would’ve done much much worse.
Well , Rutgersal always told me we had Alabama and OSU level talent. I feel so cheated.

Both guys sucked . Flood’s best season he wins 3 BIG games . In ash’s best season he wins 2 BIG games .
Flood was a dud like I predicted . And ash got us smashed like I predicted . Both sucked and were predicted to suck . The problem was that if a dopey fan like myself could see it , people getting paid to make those decisions should have seen it too.

Last edited:
Yes. Most deals get done by talking, negotiating, etc.

Tim knew what it took to get us in…
Most deals get done that way? OK, I want you to go to a car dealership with one dollar and fifty cents and start talking. Let us know what you come away with. Because I think it's gonna be an air freshener.

Most deals get done that way? OK, I want you to go to a car dealership with one dollar and fifty cents and start talking. Let us know what you come away with. Because I think it's gonna be an air freshener.

This is silly. No one is ever gonna sell a car for a buck fifty. I never said taking will get you every deal….but every deal involves talking…big difference

Let’s use a realistic example.

i want you to get a top of the line package on you car for a middle of the line package price without talking…

Both guys sucked . Flood’s best season he wins 3 BIG games . In ash’s best season he wins 2 BIG games .
Flood was a dud like I predicted . And ash got us smashed like I predicted . Both sucked and were predicted to suck . The problem was that if a dopey fan like myself could see it , people getting paid to make those decisions should have seen it too.

Come on man. Your cherry picking the comparison big time there. Ash actually won 3 BIG games the year you are talking about not 2. But so what, we had an easy conference schedule that season. That team also lost at home to a terrible Eastern Michigan team and finished 4-8 (the only other win was Howard). Yet somehow he got a contract extension based on it. What a joke.

How can you compare the 8-5 season Flood had to that? Flood’s team won all of his non-conference games. That included winning at Navy who had a good team that season and out west at WSU. Those games are infinitely harder than the Eastern Michigan game Ash lost at home. Then Flood went on to beat UNC in a bowl game. Nothing about those seasons are comparable. One team overachieved, the other won 4 total games.

Come on man. Your cherry picking the comparison big time there. Ash actually won 3 BIG games the year you are talking about not 2. But so what, we had an easy conference schedule that season. That team also lost at home to a terrible Eastern Michigan team and finished 4-8 (the only other win was Howard). Yet somehow he got a contract extension based on it. What a joke.

How can you compare the 8-5 season Flood had to that? Flood’s team won all of his non-conference games. That included winning at Navy who had a good team that season and out west at WSU. Those games are infinitely harder than the Eastern Michigan game Ash lost at home. Then Flood went on to beat UNC in a bowl game. Nothing about those seasons are comparable. One team overachieved, the other won 4 total games.
I am just saying both guys sucked . Can’t we just agree on that and move on ?

I am just saying both guys sucked . Can’t we just agree on that and move on ?
I’ve just never thought it was fair to put them in the same category. Flood (outside of a couple games where he kept Nova in too long and that snap count slip up at the end of the Michigan State game in 2015) was always a decent game day coach - he generally won the games he was supposed to win. He was an inexperienced manager and it caught up with him and landed him in a heap of trouble. Just how much trouble, however, was also partly bad luck. I mean he’s to blame for not running a tight enough ship, yes, but he didn’t “make” our entire defensive back court engage in disgusting criminal behavior. I understand the coach takes the fall - I’m just saying, plenty of coaches deploy a lax attitude and don’t end up with an entire unit of their defense or offense behind bars.

Had we not brought in the worst possible replacement for him, Flood would just be viewed as an okay, not great, inexperienced rookie coach in Rutgers history. Instead they are constantly lumped together and Flood is often blamed for a chunk of Ash’ failures which is ridiculous. Ash won a total of 8 games over 3.5 seasons. That’s just really really bad.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
@bac2therac has been very critical of Tim. He should read this post.
Tim saved Rutgers forever
imo, Bac was a basketball-first guy who insisted that Mulcahy and Pernetti were holding basketball back unfairly while giving Schiano anything he wanted. As Schiano succeeded and the hype exploded, he jumped on the bandwagon insisting he was never anti-football.

I think the OP and others here nailed it... without a higher level of football success.. like beating Michigan State, splitting with Illinois (including embarrassing them in 2006 where they never crossed midfield).. bowl victories over other P6 conferences.. and respectable attendance and a recently expanded stadium.. without all that we'd be on the outside looking in.. like UCONN.

he certainly deserves credit too.
As does the Chicago consulting firm who did a thorough analysis of when teams added the most value and had Rutgers 3rd behind Texas and Notre Dame, iirc. They could easily have been the type of firm that produced results that were desired by the folks who hired them... but clearly, Delany's staff wanted an honest assessment.

Flood is the best X and Os game day coach Rutgers has had in my lifetime. And I’m taking that to my grave.
Did you see what he said? His position is that Flood wasn’t good at anything rather anyone would’ve won consistently the rosters we had those years. I don’t buy it either. I sure don’t believe Ash would’ve taken us to bowls those seasons.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Did you see what he said? His position is that Flood wasn’t good at anything rather anyone would’ve won consistently the rosters we had those years. I don’t buy it either. I sure don’t believe Ash would’ve taken us to bowls those seasons.

agree with ya.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT