ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling Hosting 2019 Final X on June 8 at RAC

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Anyone know if the Practice Center will be completed by then and will the wrestlers and general public be able to go in and look around? Earlier in the year, Hobbs said it was ahead of schedule. The original opening date was July 2019.Would be great for youth and high school wrestlers,parents, and coaches to be able to go in and maybe Rutgers could even hold tours .

Anyone know if the Practice Center will be completed by then and will the wrestlers and general public be able to go in and look around? Earlier in the year, Hobbs said it was ahead of schedule. The original opening date was July 2019.Would be great for youth and high school wrestlers,parents, and coaches to be able to go in and maybe Rutgers could even hold tours .

Great Idea, but have you ever seen a large construction project in New Jersey finish ahead of schedule...Lol

Bumping this because it’s great for our program to host this event.

Olympic aspirations as a program are what draws the elite of the elite wrestlers. I want our top recruits at the RAC for this event

Here’s who will wrestle at Final X Rutgers to represent Team USA at world championships

The RAC in Piscataway will host the first leg of the final round of Team USA qualifying for this cycle on Saturday, June 8 with 15 best two-out-of-three matchups at designated weight classes in men’s and women’s freestyle and men’s Greco-Roman competition. The event will be streamed live on FloWrestling.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/05/heres-who-will-wrestle-at-final-x-rutgers-for-team-usa-spots.html

Reactions: R U Crazy
Does anyone know what the schedule will be that day? I have seen a 10am and 12pm start time. Flo shows a beer fest at some point, and then a 6pm second session.

Do we know what will happen in each session? I know there are 15 weight classes and each is best 2 of 3. Will some weight classes fully complete during session 1? Or will each weight class only wrestle once in session 1? Something else?

Do we know what will happen in each session? I know there are 15 weight classes and each is best 2 of 3. Will some weight classes fully complete during session 1? Or will each weight class only wrestle once in session 1? Something else?
Based on how most of these international style events are run, I'm betting that weight classes will start and finish in the same session. The schedule on Flo even says, "Weights wrestled at this time TBA.". That would indicate each weight class will start and finish in its session.

This lineup is unbelievable from top to bottom, in both men's and women's, and freestyle and Greco.

I'm guessing first session will be 3 women's, 3 Greco and 1 freestyle, leaving 2, 2 and 4 for the evening. Can't even hazard a guess as to which FS they put in the first session, and I wouldn't want to be on the committee deciding all of that.

June 8

Session I - Noon ET (weights wrestled at this time TBA)

3-5 PM CT - Brew Fest (details coming soon)

Session II - 6 PM ET (weights wrestled at this time TBA)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks pawrestlersintn and jaroslav! Much appreciated!!!
pawrestlersintn I previously had you on ignore, must be going back to what I perceived as serious trolling back when suriano transferred here. Anyway, thanks again, I've taken you off ignore. :)

Thanks pawrestlersintn and jaroslav! Much appreciated!!!
pawrestlersintn I previously had you on ignore, must be going back to what I perceived as serious trolling back when suriano transferred here. Anyway, thanks again, I've taken you off ignore. :)
Well, that's good to know. I'm not a bad guy, just passionate about my team, as you guys are about yours. And, when it comes to the international stuff, we should all be on team USA, putting the NCAA stuff behind us, for the most part.

Final X week is here. I’ll be there in section A with my boy. Looks like attendance is going to be excellent and the guys at Flo mentioned how rabid the N.J. wrestling fan is on their podcast this week and were impressed how well tickets were selling.

To kick things off, let’s do some predictions on men’s freestyle.

Final X: Rutgers
June 8 at Rutgers Athletic Center

65 kg: Yianni Diakomihalis vs. Zain Retherford

I like Yianni to take out Zain Train.

79 kg: Kyle Dake vs. Alex Dieringer

If Ringer wins is that even an upset? Guy is wrestling really well and there are questions around Dake’s health. I he’s healthy I’m going Dake in a close 2 of three.

92 kg: J’den Cox vs. Bo Nickel

Not Bo’s time yet. Cox too strong and experienced. I go with Cox in a sweep.

125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski vs. Gable Steveson

See Cox. Give me Gwiz

Final X: Lincoln
June 15 at Devaney Center

57 kg: Daton Fix vs. Thomas Gilman

Part of me wants to take Gilman. Wish Nicky entered trials.

61 kg: Joe Colon vs. Tyler Graff

Heart with Graff but I’m going Colon.

70 kg: Ryan Deakin vs. James Green

Green gets it back from Deakin.

74 kg: Jordan Burroughs vs. Isaiah Martinez

Call me crazy and I think Jordan goes down as one of the greatest, but I’m going upset here. I think IMart is on a mission. Burroughs getting long in the tooth and I didn’t love his performance in Pan Am Final.

97 kg: Kyle Snyder vs. Kyven Gadson

All Snyder here

Last edited:
bump... anybody else want to take a crack at predictions? Can IMart take down the king? Is Jden underappreciated or will Bo make his mark? Will Yiani derail the Zain Train? Some great potential match ups.

Zain has to finish shots quickly. You give Yianni any time to scramble, and he turns your shot into his points. As much as I hate to say it...

Yianni in 3.

If Dake is healthy, Dake. If Dake isn't healthy, Dieringer. And, I wouldn't have said that prior to watching the Dake/Taylor Flo documentary. It actually made me like him. A little.

92 kg: J’den Cox vs. Bo Nickal

Here is what I've heard about Bo over the last five years...He shouldn't go 184, those guys will be too big for him. (26-1) He can't beat Gabe Dean, Gabe is just too big for him. (NC) Myles Martin has his number. (NC) He shouldn't go 197, those guys are too big for him. (30-0) Moore is too big for him. (Fall)

What I've learned from all of that: Never count Bo Nickal out. He very well might lose Saturday night, but until it happens, I've heard it, seen it, read about it too often to not think he has a fighter's chance.

Bo in 3.

Please, please, please let Gwiz win it. And, do a jig in the middle of the match. And facemush him him at the end. That ain't Gwiz's style, but a man can dream, can't he?

Fix. See Gwiz.

Colon.

Agree. Green gets it back from Deakin.

I think we're in for one more World Championships and one more Olympic cycle of JB.

Agree. All Snyder here.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
If you are a wrestling fan, Final X this Saturday is a can't miss event. This may be the only time that the best American wrestlers compete at the RAC in one day.

Let's Sell Out the RAC and Prove that Rutgers is a Wrestling School

World Bronze Medalist Gwiazdowski vs. 19 yr. old Junior World Champ Steveson

Diakomihalis (National Champ & maybe the best since Cael) vs. 3 time National Champ Rutherford

World Champion Dake vs 3 time National Champ & Hodge Winner Dieringer

World Champ J'den Cox vs. 3 time National Champ & Hodge Winner Nickel

Plus the best Greco and Women Wrestlers in the USA

And a chance to meet Creedo, Abro, & RUCrackers (if Creedo & Crackers aren't the same)

Rondi - Will you be there to referee the matches between our message board entertainers?

Last edited:
Rondi - Will you be there to referee the matches between our message board entertainers?

[pfftt] [cheers] :victory: or :boxing: myself.

Hate when this board becomes unreadable :weary::gun:

Go RU!
Diane

Yianni
Dake
Bo
Gwiz
Gilman
Graff
Green
Imar
Snyder

Most confident in Snyder, than Green, than Gwiz.

Reactions: Jersey Boys

Zain has to finish shots quickly. You give Yianni any time to scramble, and he turns your shot into his points. As much as I hate to say it...

Yianni in 3.

If Dake is healthy, Dake. If Dake isn't healthy, Dieringer. And, I wouldn't have said that prior to watching the Dake/Taylor Flo documentary. It actually made me like him. A little.

92 kg: J’den Cox vs. Bo Nickal

Here is what I've heard about Bo over the last five years...He shouldn't go 184, those guys will be too big for him. (26-1) He can't beat Gabe Dean, Gabe is just too big for him. (NC) Myles Martin has his number. (NC) He shouldn't go 197, those guys are too big for him. (30-0) Moore is too big for him. (Fall)

What I've learned from all of that: Never count Bo Nickal out. He very well might lose Saturday night, but until it happens, I've heard it, seen it, read about it too often to not think he has a fighter's chance.

Bo in 3.

Please, please, please let Gwiz win it. And, do a jig in the middle of the match. And facemush him him at the end. That ain't Gwiz's style, but a man can dream, can't he?

Fix. See Gwiz.

Colon.

Agree. Green gets it back from Deakin.

I think we're in for one more World Championships and one more Olympic cycle of JB.

Agree. All Snyder here.

There is no finishing shots quickly on Yianni.

Agree 150% about Dake. As the week goes by I think more and more that Ringer just might come in and take this. He’s a forgotten man in some ways right now with the star power out there.

You are blinded with Nittany eyes regarding Bo ;)

I honestly just love Imart’s trajectory right now. I think he’s wrestling at such a high level right now. What I can’t discount is JB’s heart which just might overtake this thing in the end.

Super pissed about Taylor being out, but it’s part of the sport.

Yianni
Dake
Bo
Gwiz
Gilman
Graff
Green
Imar
Snyder

Most confident in Snyder, than Green, than Gwiz.

Pretty much agree with this except for Bo. The Dake match is hard to handicap given the questioning of Kyle’s health. I just can’t pick Dake to lose just yet especially since I already went out on a limb and picked Martinez over JB.

Yup, he requested a delayed wrestle-off.
Well that completely blows they're down to what 3 men's finals now. Although still good matches left the loss of 4 to potentially 6 matches isn't going to make too many paying customers happy.

Surgery? How long do they have to reschedule these matches? What's he getting surgery on a planter's wart or hang nail? I'd have to imagine he would have to be back in a relatively short time frame?
World Championships begin 9/14. Wrestle-off probably has to happen by about a month before that.

World Championships begin 9/14. Wrestle-off probably has to happen by about a month before that.

It has to be completed before the acclimation camp(which is usually about 2 weeks prior to the start of the World Championships). So Dake has about 3 months to get healed.

Wrestleoff must happen prior to the team leaving for acclimation camp.The camp is supposed to be for 2 weeks prior to Worlds.So at the latest the wrestleoff would occur would be the last week in August

It has to be completed before the acclimation camp(which is usually about 2 weeks prior to the start of the World Championships). So Dake has about 3 months to get healed.
Yeah, Mourolis pushed hers off to exactly two weeks before the start of the championships last year.

Here’s who will wrestle at Final X Rutgers to represent Team USA at world championships

The RAC in Piscataway will host the first leg of the final round of Team USA qualifying for this cycle on Saturday, June 8 with 15 best two-out-of-three matchups at designated weight classes in men’s and women’s freestyle and men’s Greco-Roman competition. The event will be streamed live on FloWrestling.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/05/heres-who-will-wrestle-at-final-x-rutgers-for-team-usa-spots.html

Any updates
Results below...Flo was very complimentary about the size of the crowd for the early session. No one knew what to expect, and it sounds like a good crowd turned out. Kudos to you guys.

FINAL X RUTGERS RESULTS

SESSION 1 (best two-of-three series):

87kg MGR: Joe Rau def. Ben Provisor, 2 bouts to none.

72kg WFS: Victoria Francis defeats Alyvia Fiske, 2 bouts to none.

82kg MGR: John Stefanowicz defeats Kendrick Sanders, 2 bouts to none.

55kg MGR: Max Nowry defeats Brady Koontz, 2 bouts to none.

67kg MGR: Ellis Coleman defeats Jamel Johnson, 2 bouts to none.

57kg WFS: Jenna Burkert defeats Becca Leathers, 2 bouts to none.

Reactions: rondi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT