ADVERTISEMENT

SI Ranking of potential college job openings.

slyker

Senior
Feb 2, 2002
Unlike other rankings, based on opinions of football writers and other self proclaimed "experts" , this one from Pete Thamel at Sports Illustrated is Based on interviews with agents, coaches, search firms and athletic directors. The link below provides the rankings. Since this one is based on actual input from those involved in hiring and filling these positions, it clearly holds a lot more water than any other ranking of this sort.

Some Excerpts from the Rutgers potential vacancy, which is listed as part of the lower tier jobs along with Syracuse, Purdue, Colorado and several others.. :

"This may be the most difficult job to project, as there's so much uncertainty and SO LITTLE INTEREST among accomplished coaches."

"With so many other low-tier jobs Power 5 expected to open, don't expect many hot coaches to jump at Rutgers, which is in the conversation with Indiana for the worst job in the Big Ten East. Rutgers also may be the WORST MAJOR CONFERENCE JOB ON THE MARKET. That could force the Scarlet Knights to go outside the box with a retread, FCS coach, obscure coordinator or below-the-radar coach. "

So many of you have your own opinions of why the RU job is more attractive than it is, but when it comes down to the people who are actually making the decisions and filling the jobs you can see from this article where the RU job really ranks. Whether it be with a new interim coach to replace Flood, or sticking with Flood, it's going to require many years of facilities improvement and steady increase in program stature before we will be able to lure any proven P5 coach that many of you think will come here just based on some big bucks we may be willing to throw at them . And some people have actually expressed the ridiculous notion that we would be able to lure someone like that right now, with the right amount of $$. Not even close. Sure looks like the interested candidates in this job, if it does open, are going to be slim. Very slim. No-one that is going to move the Richter scale of most Rutgers fans. Does the administration feel they should spend a lot more money now, to get a retread that they believe will only help us tread water for a few more years or stick with the current regime at no additional costs, continue to tread water, and hopefully show improvement. With hopes in the future when the money arrives and the facilities are in place... the job might rise to the lower echelon of the middle tier and be able to attract a little bit better quality candidate. Will be interesting to see what happens. Whatever it is, I'll be there weekly, rooting the guys on as I have for 30+ years. RU has been successful in steadily building the program from an Ivy League type level to getting the Big East to invite us, then steadily improving even further to interest the B1G in us. Now the hardest part is ahead of us. Doing something that so many schools in the lower tier of power 5 conferences have strived to do and rarely been successful. Move to the middle tier... then some day possibly 10 -20 years after that, perhaps we can build it up enough to crack the lower top of the top tier. But who knows if that will ever be able to happen. The whole fan base has to have much more patience. In the famous words of GS, "it's a process"

http://www.campusrush.com/al-golden...n-miami-usc-coaching-corousel-1423076703.html

Reactions: Scarlet16E
"Rutgers also may be the worst major conference job on the market. That could force the Scarlet Knights to go outside the box with a retread, FCS coach, obscure coordinator or below-the-radar coach."
They have Brady Hoke on the list. Oh my. Why not add Charlie Weiss too?

"With so many other low-tier jobs Power 5 expected to open, don't expect many hot coaches to jump at Rutgers, which is in the conversation with Indiana for the worst job in the Big Ten East. Rutgers also may be the WORST MAJOR CONFERENCE JOB ON THE MARKET. That could force the Scarlet Knights to go outside the box with a retread, FCS coach, obscure coordinator or below-the-radar coach. "

Better off keeping Flood

Well, I haven't really checked out Sports Illustrated since back in February when their MLB preseason review had a World Series prediction of Washington vs. Cleveland. But I think they got this one right. Trust me, when Rutgers does finally get around to a search for its next head football coach most here are gonna be surprised at the unimpressive list of applicants.

"Rutgers also may be the worst major conference job on the market. That could force the Scarlet Knights to go outside the box with a retread, FCS coach, obscure coordinator or below-the-radar coach."
They have Brady Hoke on the list. Oh my. Why not add Charlie Weiss too?

And the current HC contributes little, if anything, to the fact that the it may be the worst major conference job on the market. One wonders, however, how he would do if it WASN'T one of the worst major conference jobs on the market.

Better off keeping Flood
Better than Hoke or Weis? Yes, for sure. But I don't think the list starts and ends with those two stiffs. If price is a factor, an up-and-coming coordinator might be the way to go.

I used to be of the opinion that keeping Flood to tread water was the best course. That has changed. His tone deaf meathead style is doing more damage than taking a flier on some other nobody.

Sometimes change just for the sake of it is good. This is one of those.

Better off keeping Flood

Better off? Maybe. It could go either way depending on the quality of the "FCS coach" or "obscure coordinator" hired to replace him. I think this sentence sums it up quite well, "Remember, Rutgers only ended up with Kyle Flood because they were too cheap to pay Mario Cristobal". So what has happened between then and now? RU joined the B1G, but is still earning Big East-type dollars for the next several years which translates to stiffer competition with approximately the same budget.

A head coach search is going to play out like a scene from Major League:

"I don't even know half these people and the ones I do know are way past their prime!"

"Most of these folks never had a prime!"

"This guy here is dead!" "Cross him off then!"

Also lol. Pete Thamel has zero credibility and hates RU. And you guys are hanging on his every word.

The attractiveness of Rutgers HC job will turn on one factor - amount of salary. The rest is just noise. No one know what Rutgers is willing to spend, so know one knows how attractive the job is. That's it.

Can someone outline why exactly we are deemed the worst job in the power 5?

Is it trying to win in the very tough B1G East? Lack of administration support? The dealings with the local media? The mess we've gotten into with Flood and grades?

What exactly puts us down on people's lists?

Here's a question. Does anyone think that Flood, if fired, will get an offer to coach a P5 team within the next year or two? And if so hypothetically what team hires him? IMO not one P5 school hires the guy as a head coach anytime soon. Maybe as a coordinator or a mid-major HC.

With that said if I'm right and no one else is going to hire him why is keeping him employed, even if it's the worst P5 job in all the land (it's not), the right option for short and long term success of the program? Is taking a risk on someone else that much worse than keeping a guy no one else would give the keys to their P5 program to?

He failed to mention any of the positives that as to why RU would be a good destination. Some fairly obvious ones, which are the same reasons that we are in the B1G in the first place. He also listed Brady Hoke. All credibility was lost once he listed him. Sorry Next

That could force the Scarlet Knights to go outside the box with a retread, FCS coach, obscure coordinator or below-the-radar coach. "

As if we weren't going this route anyway? I mean, this isn't exactly news. Whether Flood was fired in a year where no other team was looking for coaches, or whether he's fired this season, Rutgers still wasn't going to pony up for the big name, and the big names weren't likely to come here anyway. (I do not consider Al Golden a big name.) Personally, I think we'd get the most mileage out of an up-and-coming coordinator (one who we could realistically get, not someone like Scott Frost).

He failed to mention any of the positives that as to why RU would be a good destination. Some fairly obvious ones, which are the same reasons that we are in the B1G in the first place. He also listed Brady Hoke. All credibility was lost once he listed him. Sorry Next
I would say his credibility is lost when he lists Miami as a better job than South Carolina. LAst time they hired coaches one of them got a former national championship coach, and one got a MAC HC - despite the fact that one was actually a national championship team recently and the other was pretty much a bottom dweller.

Reactions: MikeR0102
The article is old? It's from 2 weeks ago. Did something happen in the last two weeks that changes anything he said?
Yeah we got blown two more times..... That should increase our chances of replacing our coach.

Reactions: lighty

Is it trying to win in the very tough B1G East? Lack of administration support? The dealings with the local media? The mess we've gotten into with Flood and grades?

One thing I can guarantee that would be in the outline is salary, both HC and assistants. After that, likely but not a certainty, is administrative support and local media. Lower down, but I still say would be likely, lack of tradition and unfortunately the well established tradition of local recruits going elsewhere.

I'm surprised UConn HC Bob Diaco isn't mentioned as a candidate anywhere. Especially thevlowervtier jobs.

it's one person's opinion. There are other opinions stating that RU could be the next TCU because of the number of football players within 300 miles and the number of players coming to the RU camps.

He failed to mention any of the positives that as to why RU would be a good destination. Some fairly obvious ones, which are the same reasons that we are in the B1G in the first place.
There is only one reason why we're in the Big Ten. TV dollars. I'm not sure, other than that it means we can afford to pay a higher coaching salary, why TV dollars would mean much to a coach considering RU vs. other coaching jobs.

it's one person's opinion. There are other opinions stating that RU could be the next TCU because of the number of football players within 300 miles and the number of players coming to the RU camps.

Actually its not just one persons opinion. According to his article, his ratings are based on direct comments and statements from assorted coaches and administrators. And can you think of any better group to gauge the overall desirability of all these jobs? Maybe his opinion to rank us possibly the worst, but to put us there the direct comments must have all implied we were in that vicinity

One thing I can guarantee that would be in the outline is salary, both HC and assistants. After that, likely but not a certainty, is administrative support and local media. Lower down, but I still say would be likely, lack of tradition and unfortunately the well established tradition of local recruits going elsewhere.
But the basic premise of this entire OP is that the money doesnt matter - we are beat for a few more decades regardless.

slyker - what direct comments. I dont see any quotes, let alone sourced quotes. What I see are a bunch of innuendos and people in the industry say(which hones, how many, are they actually in the part of the industry where they would have knowledge, or are they just throwing shit out there too.)

Ask the right questions to enough people and you can always get them to say that you need to prove your point.

Pete Thamel is a clown and PJ Fleck would take this job in a heartbeat and do a damn good job imo. I'd like to have Babers or Fleck replace Flood, in that order.

Better off? Maybe. It could go either way depending on the quality of the "FCS coach" or "obscure coordinator" hired to replace him. I think this sentence sums it up quite well, "Remember, Rutgers only ended up with Kyle Flood because they were too cheap to pay Mario Cristobal". So what has happened between then and now? RU joined the B1G, but is still earning Big East-type dollars for the next several years which translates to stiffer competition with approximately the same budget.
It's interesting to look at Flood vs. Cristobal's coaching records:

F = 26 - 22, avg SOS = 0.45 (2 yrs B1G East, 2 yrs Big East/AAC)
C = 27 - 47, avg SOS = -4.21 (6 years in Sunbelt)

Yet Cristobal is apparently on the short list of potential coaches for Miami. And what makes anybody think RU is going to be able to hire someone that is better than Cristobal to replace Flood?

We are going to need a lot of money to attract a coaching staff w/any kind of proven track record at winning against strong competition. Lots and lots of money. Like literally 750 times the gofundme fire Flood donations. And we need that much every year.

This narrative that firing Flood is the answer to anything is deeply flawed and severely short-sighted. IT'S NOT ABOUT FLOOD. It's about the coaching staff that follows after we fire Flood. And all the wishful thinking and rationalizations in the world are not going to make that easy. Only money can make it easy.

Edit: And timing can help. Good things come to those who wait.

Does the OP not get the irony of the comparison to indiana? If the team wasn't playing like a door mat, like indiana usually does, we would be in a different league from them.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Those who still dwell on getting a big name hire are fooling themselves. However, there are several head coaches at lower divisions and coordinators at P5 schools who would jump at this job. Are these guys gambles sure but pretty much every coaching hire is a gamble except when you get to the elite few, which only a handful of schools can afford. A guy like Matt Campbell at Toledo he makes $435,000 a year you don't think he's going to jump at $1.25-$1.5 mil. His guy's play good disciplined football and the scheme's they employ win. That's not going to change. What about the former Oklahoma St OC now at southern miss. he's turned that around pretty quick he makes well less than a million. This is where your AD has to earn her money. She needs to identify up and coming talent and jump on it before they blow up and you are out priced. If she can't then you find someone else who can.

Look RU took the biggest of the big gambles on hiring a former OL coach. No other P5 school has made such a hire in history. That gamble does not seem to be paying off. Guys are not developing quick enough do to lack of talent or coaching. Once this ginormous gamble started to show signs of trouble you cut the cord at the end of the season. Because basically your next hire is going to be a gamble now or ten years from now because we will never pay elite salaries. Flood's hire was nothing more than a huge gamble our next hire will be a gamble sure but not the momentous one we had four years ago. It's all up to the AD she's either up to the task or not. This is what she will and should be judged on. Not all the other silly crap.

Reactions: brgossRU90
You guys are going off what Pete Thamel is saying? Bwahahahahahahaha.
Unreal these guys who are supposedly fans buy into Thamels malarkey. Comparing us to the UI or PU jobs in Indiana....worst...with SU and BC so close..i'm not buying. He uses what suits his agenda..we gotta make these weasels suffer repercussions or look foolish.

Those who still dwell on getting a big name hire are fooling themselves. However, there are several head coaches at lower divisions and coordinators at P5 schools who would jump at this job. Are these guys gambles sure but pretty much every coaching hire is a gamble except when you get to the elite few, which only a handful of schools can afford. A guy like Matt Campbell at Toledo he makes $435,000 a year you don't think he's going to jump at $1.25-$1.5 mil. His guy's play good disciplined football and the scheme's they employ win. That's not going to change. What about the former Oklahoma St OC now at southern miss. he's turned that around pretty quick he makes well less than a million. This is where your AD has to earn her money. She needs to identify up and coming talent and jump on it before they blow up and you are out priced. If she can't then you find someone else who can.

Look RU took the biggest of the big gambles on hiring a former OL coach. No other P5 school has made such a hire in history. That gamble does not seem to be paying off. Guys are not developing quick enough do to lack of talent or coaching. Once this ginormous gamble started to show signs of trouble you cut the cord at the end of the season. Because basically your next hire is going to be a gamble now or ten years from now because we will never pay elite salaries. Flood's hire was nothing more than a huge gamble our next hire will be a gamble sure but not the momentous one we had four years ago. It's all up to the AD she's either up to the task or not. This is what she will and should be judged on. Not all the other silly crap.
You're assuming that RU was gambling when hiring Flood. But that presupposes that (a) we had alternatives given the poor timing and (b) that we were aiming to win as opposed to aiming to save money.

But I agree that Julie needs to take her time and find the right replacement coach. It's always a gamble, but we can play blackjack here and not a slot machine.

This narrative that firing Flood is the answer to anything is deeply flawed and severely short-sighted. IT'S NOT ABOUT FLOOD. It's about the coaching staff that follows after we fire Flood. And all the wishful thinking and rationalizations in the world are not going to make that easy. Only money can make it easy.

It would be almost impossible to hire a less qualified staff than we have now. You'd have to go out of your way to solicit resumes from people who had no expectation of being able to get a P5 job to get down to a HC with 0 experience as even a coordinator, a 1st year OC and a 2nd year DC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT