ADVERTISEMENT

Simpson

I thought Simpson’s mid range shooting was a real momentum killer for us. He hit the first which was big but then missed the next 3 from the exact same spot and circumstances (mostly open, pull up at elbow, very high elevation on the shot, edey dropping in coverage)

If Derek hits 1 or 2 of those other 3 shots, then Purdue would’ve changed their coverage. Instead they were empty possessions and Purdue just wouldn’t stop scoring so we fell behind quickly from that point.

I thought this was the turning point in the game. I’m not saying we would’ve kept pace with them either way , but this little nuance in the game was the first big splinter

Derek Simpson has a very good touch, his misses even fall off the rim softly.
Derek will never be a consistent shooter until he improves his release.
He doesn't get any rotation on the ball when he shoots which is purely a mechanical issue.
I can't for the life of me figure out why they cannot help him with that.
Some players do everything right mechanically but do now have a very good touch.
Derek has a great touch, just bad mechanics

The simple reality is we are in 2024 and guards need to be good shooters. Simpson and Davis are awful shooters.

It is possible, but doubtful, that will change. Until then they are guys that should be 10-15 MPG off the bench giving energy on a OK offensive team.

Simpson OR Davis have an important role in the future. Tough time seeing both.

I thought Simpson’s mid range shooting was a real momentum killer for us. He hit the first which was big but then missed the next 3 from the exact same spot and circumstances (mostly open, pull up at elbow, very high elevation on the shot, edey dropping in coverage)

If Derek hits 1 or 2 of those other 3 shots, then Purdue would’ve changed their coverage. Instead they were empty possessions and Purdue just wouldn’t stop scoring so we fell behind quickly from that point.

I thought this was the turning point in the game. I’m not saying we would’ve kept pace with them either way , but this little nuance in the game was the first big splinter
It's sometimes worse when he hits that first shot, because it boosts confidence that those sorts of pull-up mid-range shots are good choices. They are not.

As our best free throw shooter, he didn't get to the line once and drew no fouls.

Kid would have a really good career at Rider. Just don’t know if pike can upgrade in the offseason beyond what is already coming in.

People scoffed at the reports of his inconsistency in high school and we have seen that on display time and time again. Although the trend is starting to prove he may not be as inconsistent as he is just not a very good finisher at this level.

I don't know why people keep saying Simpson is inconsistent when he shoots poorly in almost every single game. He's been consistent with it all season minus a few games. Go check his game logs
I’d boot him off Rutgers Island before anyone else. It’s not just the terrible volume shooting, it’s the destruction of any semblance of team offense when he has the ball.

There's a good player lurking within him but it's gonna take breaking a lot of bad habits to get it out. Usually FT% is a good sign that somebody is a good shooter but his jump shot is just... bad. He doesn't repeat his motions and he's not even the same player from one game to the next. In his last three games he's shot 0 threes, then 9 threes, then 0 threes again. That to me is indicative of a player who doesn't really have a clear idea of what he is.

There's a good player lurking within him but it's gonna take breaking a lot of bad habits to get it out. Usually FT% is a good sign that somebody is a good shooter but his jump shot is just... bad. He doesn't repeat his motions and he's not even the same player from one game to the next. In his last three games he's shot 0 threes, then 9 threes, then 0 threes again. That to me is indicative of a player who doesn't really have a clear idea of what he is.
Agreed. His form is all over the place with his lower body and he has an awkward release over his head without much rotation. It will be hard for him to ever be a consistent shooter with these issues

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I really like his defense. Only thing keeping him on the court. In fairness to him, I do think he is a willing passer.

The mid/long range 2 has to die with Geo.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
It's so strange, it always feels like he's hot, it's a great shot, looks smooth and it even looks like it's going in every time. So it's like cool, can't make them all keep trying.

Then every game you look back and it's like he made 2 of 7 of those or 1 of 8
Those 12-14 footers should be money for him, but they're not. I like the kid, but he's too streaky. That's what made Geo so good. He knocked down those shots 8 out of 10 times.

Those 12-14 footers should be money for him, but they're not. I like the kid, but he's too streaky. That's what made Geo so good. He knocked down those shots 8 out of 10 times.
It was a big problem for Geo early in his career but he fixed it. 38% and 37% from two his first two years. Then 49%, 51%, and 46% his last three.

Simpson is at 33% which is a good bit worse than even Geo's worst. But Derek was also at 42% last year.

Kid would have a really good career at Rider. Just don’t know if pike can upgrade in the offseason beyond what is already coming in.

People scoffed at the reports of his inconsistency in high school and we have seen that on display time and time again. Although the trend is starting to prove he may not be as inconsistent as he is just not a very good finisher at this level.

What's Jerry Carino sayin?

• Haha
Reactions: RUsojo and cshelley
Agreed. His form is all over the place with his lower body and he has an awkward release over his head without much rotation. It will be hard for him to ever be a consistent shooter with these issues
He changes his rotation game to game and doesn’t finish with the flick of the wrist a lot. He did it against Wisconsin. Yesterday against Purdue there was no flick of the wrist just a heave with no rotation. Cannot believe he keeps on doing it and cannot believe the 3 guard coaches haven’t corrected it by now.
We can have that analytics debate but if in any given game , Derek has 10 open looks from 12-15 feet and he made 5-10 every game , it would stop droughts , give us needed points when our defense is usually solid and maybe force the defense to send a second guy towards him. He can elevate and I would say 90% of the time he is wide open . Square your body , elevate , flick the wrist and success follows. Really cannot believe he has 1-10 , 2-9 , 1-7 . 3-11 games repeatedly. He really could have helped us a lot this year get a few more wins which really would not have taken any more effort than he was expending. He has gotten a lot better on defense, jumping in the passing lanes , but his failure to make what I consider easy shots and his failure to involve Cliff in the offense are his 2 biggest failures this year. Somebody get him a shooting coach.

He changes his rotation game to game and doesn’t finish with the flick of the wrist a lot. He did it against Wisconsin. Yesterday against Purdue there was no flick of the wrist just a heave with no rotation. Cannot believe he keeps on doing it and cannot believe the 3 guard coaches haven’t corrected it by now.
We can have that analytics debate but if in any given game , Derek has 10 open looks from 12-15 feet and he made 5-10 every game , it would stop droughts , give us needed points when our defense is usually solid and maybe force the defense to send a second guy towards him. He can elevate and I would say 90% of the time he is wide open . Square your body , elevate , flick the wrist and success follows. Really cannot believe he has 1-10 , 2-9 , 1-7 . 3-11 games repeatedly. He really could have helped us a lot this year get a few more wins which really would not have taken any more effort than he was expending. He has gotten a lot better on defense, jumping in the passing lanes , but his failure to make what I consider easy shots and his failure to involve Cliff in the offense are his 2 biggest failures this year. Somebody get him a shooting coach.
That shot is open 90% of the time because defenses want you to take that shot. It's generally a bad choice.

I don't know why people keep saying Simpson is inconsistent when he shoots poorly in almost every single game. He's been consistent with it all season minus a few games. Go check his game logs
unfortunately/fortunately he is very consistent on both ends.....

Reactions: Scangg
That shot is open 90% of the time because defenses want you to take that shot. It's generally a bad choice.
Not if he was making 5-10 . Bruce Thornton of Ohio State hits them all the time. Branden Smith at Purdue shoots and hits them. Jamir Young of Maryland shoots and hits them . I can go on. Derek doesn’t make them and it is in his mechanics and footwork and body being off balance. It should have been corrected by now.

I think folks are attributing too much into the couple of Derek's games he got hot to close out last season.

Reactions: RUsojo and Scangg
Not if he was making 5-10 . Bruce Thornton of Ohio State hits them all the time. Branden Smith at Purdue shoots and hits them. Jamir Young of Maryland shoots and hits them . I can go on. Derek doesn’t make them and it is in his mechanics and footwork and body being off balance. It should have been corrected by now.
But very few players hit them at that rate consistently, even in the NBA.

this is becoming one of the rare good threads where people are talking basketball, using statistics to talk through a players issue and impact to the team. Rather than j. ust trash the individual

Comments regarding Simpson poor shooting percentages should be a concern because of the number of shots he takes.At the same time the roster is full of poor shooters and the opponents know that to be the case.Its a challenge for the team to score 65 points which makes it difficult to win league games.It will be interesting to see how many players on the current roster will return next season knowing the need to improve the offense.

Reactions: LukeRU90
Go look at the state for the 12-15 foot shots being taken and made byThornton . Smith and Young and then come back and talk to me. 2 of those guys are sophomores and one is a 5th year senior.

Just looked at Thornton last 3 games against Minnesota , Purdue and Wisconsin. Against Minnesota he was 10-14 and 0-3 from 3 , so he was 10-11 from 2 . Against Purdue he was 8-17 and 1-4 from 3 , so he was 7-13 from 2 point range . Against Wisconsin , he was 8-19 and 2-6 from three , so he was 6-13 from 2 point range.

I am sure if I looked up Branden Smith and Jamir Young , I would find similar %.

So you say those are not realistic but they seem to only not to be realistic to Derek as the other 3 must have broke the code .

Reactions: satnom
Go look at the state for the 12-15 foot shots being taken and made byThornton . Smith and Young and then come back and talk to me. 2 of those guys are sophomores and one is a 5th year senior.
Thornton is 44.7% on "other twos".... which really just excludes layups and dunks.

Young is at 34.6% from that range and Smith at 47.9%.

The only guys in the Big 10 hitting 50% or better on at least 75 attempts from the "other two" range are Malik Hall, Nick Martinelli, and Steven Crowl, who are all forwards that get more of their shots inside 10 ft.

Smith is the best guard in the conference from that range, but he also hits 42.9% from three.

You think very few NBA players can make 5-10 from open 12 footers? Come on

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that few NBA players consistently hit 50% from 15+ feet during the flow of the game, guarded and unguarded combined. Most aren't even taking a ton of midrange shots anymore, because the game has changed to value them less.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that few NBA players consistently hit 50% from 15+ feet during the flow of the game, guarded and unguarded combined. Most aren't even taking a ton of midrange shots anymore, because the game has changed to value them less.
Not taking them is a different story. NBA players would be knocking these shots down with ease that Simpson is missing

Reactions: satnom and goru7
Going back to guys like Thornton, though, even at 47.9%... the best guard shooting at that distance in the conference, he only takes shots from that range 36% of the time. Simpson takes shots from that range 46% of the time.

Thornton is 44.7% on "other twos".... which really just excludes layups and dunks.

Young is at 34.6% from that range and Smith at 47.9%.

The only guys in the Big 10 hitting 50% or better on at least 75 attempts from the "other two" range are Malik Hall, Nick Martinelli, and Steven Crowl, who are all forwards that get more of their shots inside 10 ft.

Smith is the best guard in the conference from that range, but he also hits 42.9% from three.
So if Derek had the same leap into his sophomore year like Thornton and Smith , it would make a huge difference in our offense and would free Cliff for more rim running. It has been disappointing but not something that is not within reach if the mechanics are fixed.

So if Derek had the same leap into his sophomore year like Thornton and Smith , it would make a huge difference in our offense and would free Cliff for more rim running. It has been disappointing but not something that is not within reach if the mechanics are fixed.

Thornton shot .503 from 2P as a freshman and is shooting .507 as a sophomore. What leap did he take? Smith went from .482 to .500, so not a huge leap there either.

Reactions: Scangg
People need to stop thinking Simpson is going to be a really really poor shooter for 2 years then magically become an efficient scorer all of a sudden. That's magical wishcasting thinking

A realistic hope is that he can slightly increase his percentages to be just mediocre and with the incoming talent hope that he takes way less shots

He needs to focus on being more like Caleb 2.0 than Geo 2.0. Play defense, hustle, rebound, continue to work at thinking pass first etc and he can be a real asset. Leave the shooting to others

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT