ADVERTISEMENT

So what are everyones impressions of the current 2023 recruiting class?

Love a number of these comments about offers and ratings...lol...usually means they know nothing about the recruit. Do yourselves a favor and go watch the HUDL films on these commits. A couple will open your eyes. The staff are finding some very athletic recruits that if developed properly will have a lot of position flexibility. Many of them a hardly Ash level reaches unless you're judging the book by its cover.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Love a number of these comments about offers and ratings...lol...usually means they know nothing about the recruit. Do yourselves a favor and go watch the HUDL films on these commits. A couple will open your eyes. The staff are finding some very athletic recruits that if developed properly will have a lot of position flexibility. Many of them a hardly Ash level reaches unless you're judging the book by its cover.
Wow, I didn't realize how bad the vast majority of P5 HCs and their staffs are at evaluating talent that they would miss out on these kids, obviously these other staffs are just sloppy and miss things clearly our staff sees on the tapes. Thank you for the education.

Reactions: RUShea
I would have reservations if the staff was relying on camps and showcases for evaluation. These kids have either been on campus or our lead recruiters have put them through the paces at regional camps or their high schools. I rely more heavily on seasoned coaches opinions than some stat geek sitting behind a computer screen ranking kids in a sport they never played.

Wow, I didn't realize how bad the vast majority of P5 HCs and their staffs are at evaluating talent that they would miss out on these kids, obviously these other staffs are just sloppy and miss things clearly our staff sees on the tapes. Thank you for the education.
Thank you for confirming what I already knew, you're clueless...lol. Go watch the tapes instead of being lazy thinking asinine cliches will cover everything. But you won't because that would educate you and you've already made up your mind.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Thank you for confirming what I already knew, you're clueless...lol. Go watch the tapes instead of being lazy thinking asinine cliches will cover everything. But you won't because that would educate you and you've already made up your mind.
Is that the same advice you would give to all the other P5 coaches who didn't offer these kids? Too funny!! Let's just hope that Schiano and his staff do have the ability to recognize talent that almost all the other P5 coaches have missed because I would like to actually attend a victorious B1G home game sometime in the next few years.

Is that the same advice you would give to all the other P5 coaches who didn't offer these kids? Too funny!! Let's just hope that Schiano and his staff do have the ability to recognize talent that almost all the other P5 coaches have missed because I would like to actually attend a victorious B1G home game sometime in the next few years.
Thank you for proving my point that you know absolutely nothing about any of our recruits outside of a rating and offers. Dumb and stupid ye shall remain.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimpeg and TRU2RU
It's worked in the past for Rutgers. A Florida 3 star like Kaleb Johnson or a 3 star LB like Steve Longa who was under the radar until he transferred from a small HS like Saddle Brook to a Catholic late in his HS career. To early to pass final judgement before they play their senior year.
It’s a different animal now . We aren’t competing against the UConn’s and south Florida’s of the world

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
This is shaping up to be the worst GS 2.0 class. We had one 4 star player commit and we know what happened to him. A couple of these commits look like people you would sign at the end of the recruiting period as projects if there were a couple of open scholarships, not early commits.
You can’t help but wonder if this is a NIL problem.
Its a combination of losing Fran Brown and Underwood, NIL, and the rebuild.

Underwood ? Even @AreYouNUTS said schiano wanted him out
Not my words. All I said/repeated, IIRC, is that word on the street is there were issues during the season and he simply wasn’t offered a new contract (they all had 2-year deals). Our WR group stunk the last 2 years, as well, let’s be real. None of this is exactly “news” by the way.

I know ZERO about these kids. but I was wondering the same thing.... Schiano has a long, established history of developing under the radar kids. I am gonna trust that Greg and staff know what they are doing, that Greg hasnt lost his eye for talent, and will develop these kids to their potential
The question then become will their potential be good enough in the Big 10

Ofcourse that remains to be seen

Again, I know zero about these kids but based on Schianos history (which includes several under-heralded recruits eventually having successful NFL careers) I am gonna trust Schiano and staff over message board posters

wouldn’t have done the same with ash/flood but schiano gets the benefit of the doubt imho based on past success in this regard

Glad you understand now. You are now very qualified to go get a job on Pitt’s recruiting staff!

That's a question for every recruit no matter their rating. RU has had plenty of highly ranked kids never live up to their potential in the B1G or Big East. Lots of factors at play on how they develop and a couple of these guys will need time so the staff can figure out their best positions. But many have tons of athleticism and size.

So no one knows yet if the 6' 8" commit is a WR, TE, OT or DE. Depends on how much weight his body can absorb and his ability at any of those positions. There's a 6'4" commit coming as a DB but will he be a S, LB or WR? Position flexibility is a good thing if they develop into productive players.

I know ZERO about these kids. but I was wondering the same thing.... Schiano has a long, established history of developing under the radar kids. I am gonna trust that Greg and staff know what they are doing, that Greg hasnt lost his eye for talent, and will develop these kids to their potential

That worked in the watered down BE. Relying on a class of under the radar recruits who only hold MAC type offers is not going to work in the B1G East and is not even remotely close. Yes each class will have one or two of those recruits that will emerge and that’s great. Building a class like this … yikes

WI, Iowa and Minny recruit like this every year. They build depth and they bring kids in who want to be there and buy in to the program. They win a lot of Football games too.

It’s a different animal now . We aren’t competing against the UConn’s and south Florida’s of the world
So you’re saying these kids can’t compete in the BIG and Schiano is offering them early. Explain why he would do this.

I respond to you because you speak your mind and that’s all good. I don’t respond to the others who just post negative comments no matter what. My post is aimed more at the momos above than you though.

So you’re saying these kids can’t compete in the BIG and Schiano is offering them early. Explain why he would do this.

I respond to you because you speak your mind and that’s all good. I don’t respond to the others who just post negative comments no matter what. My post is aimed more at the momos above than you though.
I just think at this level you can’t rely on too many diamonds in the rough . There is a reason why high recruiting classes correlate to successful programs in college football. I do trust schiano knows what he’s doing , but would I feel better about it if these kids had more stars ? Absolutely.

It's chicken/egg scenario. GS isn't getting 4 and 5 star kids right now, he has to win first. E.g. develop and coach up 3 starts, start getting 8/9 wins per year, then he can start reeling in the higher rated kids.

His current method of recruiting underrated guys will not work if he aspires to get to the OSU/Bama type level, but he has no choice right now except to do it this way.

Since he's a pedestrian game day coach (great program builder though, with a proven track record of getting guys to the league), he'll have to rely on quality assistants to help him in the day to day operations, while becoming more of a CEO rather than on field coach (which he's clearly starting to do).

Anyone that thinks we're winning anything big with this method (short term or long term) is nuts, none of the big boys does it this way and star rankings are here for a reason. Yes there are exceptions, but look at Bama's roster, it's filled with 4 and 5 star guys.

Ask any coach, x's and o's are nice but you win with the Jimmy's and Joe's

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
It's chicken/egg scenario. GS isn't getting 4 and 5 star kids right now, he has to win first. E.g. develop and coach up 3 starts, start getting 8/9 wins per year, then he can start reeling in the higher rated kids.

His current method of recruiting underrated guys will not work if he aspires to get to the OSU/Bama type level, but he has no choice right now except to do it this way.

Since he's a pedestrian game day coach (great program builder though, with a proven track record of getting guys to the league), he'll have to rely on quality assistants to help him in the day to day operations, while becoming more of a CEO rather than on field coach (which he's clearly starting to do).

Anyone that thinks we're winning anything big with this method (short term or long term) is nuts, none of the big boys does it this way and star rankings are here for a reason. Yes there are exceptions, but look at Bama's roster, it's filled with 4 and 5 star guys.

This.

RU fans need to stop the delusional thoughts of getting the the OSU/Bama type level. I highly doubt that is the goal, and if it is, it is not realistic. Just a reminder that we are not Bama or tOSU. Nor are we Michigan or PSU or Wisconsin. Maybe we can aspire to get at or near Wisconin's level some day, but have said numerous times, just doing what Pat Fitzgerald has done at Northwestern would be fine for most fans:

2006Northwestern4–82–6T–8th
2007Northwestern6–63–5T–7th
2008Northwestern9–45–3T–4thL Alamo
2009Northwestern8–55–3T–4thL Outback
2010Northwestern7–63–5T–7thL TicketCity
2011Northwestern6–73–55th (Legends)L Meineke Car Care
2012Northwestern10–35–33rd (Legends)W Gator1617
2013Northwestern5–71–76th (Legends)
2014Northwestern5–73–56th (West)
2015Northwestern10–36–2T–2nd (West)L Outback2223
2016Northwestern7–65–4T–4th (West)W Pinstripe
2017Northwestern10–37–22nd (West)W Music City1717
2018Northwestern9–58–11st (West)W Holiday1921
2019Northwestern3–91–87th (West)
2020Northwestern7–26–11st (West)W Citrus1010
2021Northwestern3–91–8T-6th (West)

That's a question for every recruit no matter their rating. RU has had plenty of highly ranked kids never live up to their potential in the B1G or Big East. Lots of factors at play on how they develop and a couple of these guys will need time so the staff can figure out their best positions. But many have tons of athleticism and size.

So no one knows yet if the 6' 8" commit is a WR, TE, OT or DE. Depends on how much weight his body can absorb and his ability at any of those positions. There's a 6'4" commit coming as a DB but will he be a S, LB or WR? Position flexibility is a good thing if they develop into productive players.
I'm sure Greg and his staff know. I asked him about it, and from his answer, sounded like WR. I did not ask about a specific position, but he made a comparison to an NFL WR.

RU fans need to stop the delusional thoughts of getting the the OSU/Bama type level. I highly doubt that is the goal, and if it is, it is not realistic. Just a reminder that we are not Bama or tOSU. Nor are we Michigan or PSU or Wisconsin. Maybe we can aspire to get at or near Wisconin's level some day, but have said numerous times, just doing what Pat Fitzgerald has done at Northwestern would be fine for most fans:

Actually I see Wisconsin, not Northwestern, as the target. Rutgers from '06 to '11 was closer to Wisconsin, though it needed continuity in the program to fully close the gap.

Really? The goal is NW level? If that's the case, we have some pretty low expectations
I'm not saying we're getting to Bama/OSU level in the next few years
It's baby steps - get to Iowa/Sparty/Wisconsin level, then up from there

GS words when he got here was to win championships. B1G and Natty's. If that's the goal, we have to be all in. We're at a big disadvantage b/c of lack of tradition, $$, fans, etc. - but if our goal is to simply be Northwestern level, that's honestly pretty medicore

NW level is what? Beating Nitts/OSU/UM once/twice every 10 years? Going to rose bowl every 30 years? That sucks man, that's not why I'm a fan or go to games, and that in no way should be the goal.

If that's it, if that's what we're aspiring to be.... then we'll agree to disgree

Actually I see Wisconsin, not Northwestern, as the target. Rutgers from '06 to '11 was closer to Wisconsin, though it needed continuity in the program to fully close the gap.
Baby steps. . . . Think that Wisconsin is achievable, but as we scale the mountain, a Northwestern foothold would be a great midpoint.

Really? The goal is NW level? If that's the case, we have some pretty low expectations

GS words when he got here was to win championships. B1G and Natty's. If that's the goal, we have to be all in. We're at a big disadvantage b/c of lack of tradition, $$, fans, etc. - but if our goal is to simply be Northwestern level, that's honestly pretty medicore

NW level is what? Beating Nitts/OSU/UM once/twice every 10 years? Going to rose bowl every 30 years? That sucks man, that's not why I'm a fan or go to games, and that in no way should be the goal.

If that's it, if that's what we're aspiring to be.... then we'll agree to disgree
You should have low expectations because this fan base does not financially support the team at the levels the Bama, OSU, UM & PSU do.

Can’t drink the Dom when all you got is enough for whatever 6-pack is on sale.

Good luck with that. See my post above. The trajectory should be Northwestern level to get to Wisconsin level.

Iowa? Good luck with that.

We have to be all in? We have mortgages to pay, kids to put through college and have to put food on the table and buy $6/gallon gas. There are much more important things in life than sending $$$ to the football program of Rutgers.

Considering where the program has been historically, I would be quite happy with Wisconsin level. And considering where Greg had the program post 2006, he was basically at a Pat Fitzgerald NW level.

We are no longer playing in the remnants of the old Big East after Miami, WVU and VTech bolted.

Baby steps. . . . Think that Wisconsin is achievable, but as we scale the mountain, a Northwestern foothold would be a great midpoint.
I have a lot of respect for NW and what PF has done there and I personally don’t think Wel ever get to Bama level (money, tradition, but most importantly, fans aren’t willing to step up financially and sacrifice certain aspects for fb glory)

But for me, I’ll donate $ and do what I can, while I still live in New Jersey before retirement, to try getting us to the highest level possible

Reactions: Knight Shift
The realistic goal from a fan standpoint should be a perennial 7 win team . 8 wins in a good year . 5 or 6 in a down year. And once every cycle (4 or 5 years) you have that magical 10 or more win season and playing in big big bowl .

Good luck with that. See my post above. The trajectory should be Northwestern level to get to Wisconsin level.

Iowa? Good luck with that.

We have to be all in? We have mortgages to pay, kids to put through college and have to put food on the table and buy $6/gallon gas. There are much more important things in life than sending $$$ to the football program of Rutgers.

Considering where the program has been historically, I would be quite happy with Wisconsin level. And considering where Greg had the program post 2006, he was basically at a Pat Fitzgerald NW level.

We are no longer playing in the remnants of the old Big East after Miami, WVU and VTech bolted.
That’s all over brother. It’s a matter of priorities. Every state has high gas, mortgages etc

It’s a matter of what we want out of Rutgers. I sacrifice driving a nicer car to give $ to Rutgers, I’m still paying mortgage, funding 529’s and buying groceries - but I’ve adjusted in order to increase $ to see them hopefully win more

That’s my perogative - to sacrifice in order to give $ to Rutgers to hopefully see them get to high level bowls and win ships.

I have a lot of respect for NW and what PF has done there and I personally don’t think Wel ever get to Bama level (money, tradition, but most importantly, fans aren’t willing to step up financially and sacrifice certain aspects for fb glory)

But for me, I’ll donate $ and do what I can, while I still live in New Jersey before retirement, to try getting us to the highest level possible
Then we agree. A point to consider is not to set an totally unrealistic target--this can lead to regret/disappointment and then disillusionment and then loss of fan interest.

And any comparisons of Greg in the old Big East have to be taken with a grain of salt. We all know the level of competition is much higher in the B1G, even if (probably after) the B1G eliminates the East/West divisions. With the East/West divisions in place, for the next 2-3 years, it is realistic to automatically pencil in 3 losses at the beginning of each season. I'm generally an optimistic fan, but realistic too.

Then we agree. A point to consider is not to set an totally unrealistic target--this can lead to regret/disappointment and then disillusionment and then loss of fan interest.

And any comparisons of Greg in the old Big East have to be taken with a grain of salt. We all know the level of competition is much higher in the B1G, even if (probably after) the B1G eliminates the East/West divisions. With the East/West divisions in place, for the next 2-3 years, it is realistic to automatically pencil in 3 losses at the beginning of each season. I'm generally an optimistic fan, but realistic too.
Absolutely we agree
I would never rank on someone who doesn’t donate at a certain level or partake in NIL
Doing that doesn’t make me a better fan or anyone that doesn’t a worse fan
I just love college fb and would love to see Rutgers at or near the top of college fb one day
If I can help w that than great - but everyone has to do what they feel is right

Absolutely we agree
I would never rank on someone who doesn’t donate at a certain level or partake in NIL
Doing that doesn’t make me a better fan or anyone that doesn’t a worse fan
I just love college fb and would love to see Rutgers at or near the top of college fb one day
If I can help w that than great - but everyone has to do what they feel is right
We donate at a fairly high level to FB and the University.
This NIL thing has thrown a wrench in it for us. We want to do more on the academic side, and we don't have the desire/motivation to get involved with the NIL collective. Maybe that will change, but doubtful for now.

Could you please name those players for us so we can refer back to you in a year from now? Some of these Florida kids will outshine ( going by the past ) most NJ players. This is a very down cycle in NJ for 2023. The NY players are from top programs. Suggest you wait before opening your “yap” about our poor recruiting on June 17. The kid who de committed to PSU after winning MVP at RUTGERS was a 3*** up until then. Remembering back to 2004-2005 it is somewhat similar of what and where he is going in an off year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT