ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Weather Thread

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Still uncertain with low pressure near the area and models struggling with placement. Could be mostly cloudy/partly sunny type day with highs in low to mid 60s. Could be some showers as well. A bit too early to nail down just yet

Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks decent with 3 of the 4 major global models showing no precip from 7 am to 7 pm on Rutgers Day, with only the GFS showing some light showers during the 4-7 pm timeframe (likely less than 0.1" of rain). NWS is discounting the GFS as they're showing partly cloudy skies with highs in the low 60s and shower chances <20% before 8 pm. Still 5 days out, so can't guarantee it'll be dry, but it's at least looking promising.

Also, the whole day is a big deal for many beyond just the Spring game - we always go to Ag Field Day and might stop by the RutgersDay celebration at the eng'g building. And Saturday night is another version of the Melody Reunion at the Elk's Club in NB (7 pm to midnight - there are now 2 per year).

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=236&y=82&site=phi&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=235&map_y=82

Wind was an issue in the Scarlet lot as last year's spring game. I would sign for low 60s and light winds.

Looks decent with 3 of the 4 major global models showing no precip from 7 am to 7 pm on Rutgers Day, with only the GFS showing some light showers during the 4-7 pm timeframe (likely less than 0.1" of rain). NWS is discounting the GFS as they're showing partly cloudy skies with highs in the low 60s and shower chances <20% before 8 pm. Still 5 days out, so can't guarantee it'll be dry, but it's at least looking promising.

Also, the whole day is a big deal for many beyond just the Spring game - we always go to Ag Field Day and might stop by the RutgersDay celebration at the eng'g building. And Saturday night is another version of the Melody Reunion at the Elk's Club in NB (7 pm to midnight - there are now 2 per year).

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=236&y=82&site=phi&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=235&map_y=82
Always about NimberSan lol

It seems to be trending drier for the Rutgers Day portion 10a-4p in most forecasts. Any updates here?

It seems to be trending drier for the Rutgers Day portion 10a-4p in most forecasts. Any updates here?

I noticed that too: both AccuWeather and WeatherChannel are now saying partly sunny with a very low chance of rain.

Reactions: BossNJ

Still looks pretty decent. No change in the overnight models, with only the GFS still showing some light showers from 1-7 pm (likely <0.1", but enough to be annoying if that falls during the game), while the Euro, CMC and UK all show dry conditions.

The NWS is calling for <15% chance of a few light rain showers in the afternoon, meaning they're fairly confident it'll remain dry with temps around 60F, mostly cloudy skies and 10-15 mph winds.

Reactions: RUPete
Still looks pretty decent. No change in the overnight models, with only the GFS still showing some light showers from 1-7 pm (likely <0.1", but enough to be annoying if that falls during the game), while the Euro, CMC and UK all show dry conditions.

The NWS is calling for <15% chance of a few light rain showers in the afternoon, meaning they're fairly confident it'll remain dry with temps around 60F, mostly cloudy skies and 10-15 mph winds.
Looks even a little better with every model now showing no measurable rain for NB all day. Even the GFS has backed off, although that model still shows a few light showers for NWNJ/NEPA in the late afternoon. I'm sure this is why the NWS has an official forecast with no rain in it (with high temps in the low 60s and mostly cloudy skies), but they're still carrying a ~10% chance of a light shower/sprinkle for the afternoon. Very likely the day is dry, but even the worst case is a light sprinkle or two (like <0.02" of rain, which is truly nuisance level).

That's good. As long as we don't have a lot of unhappy volunteers at Rutgers Day. Dry is good.

Are you playing frisbee golf that day?
No, the RU course is closed during Ag-Field Day. You should try it - you might actually like it. Having played a ton of regular golf from the mid 80s through the early 2010s and now a ton of disc golf the last 3 years, both games are just so much fun. Looking to get back into regular golf a bit this year after being prodded by @LeapinLou last fall. They each have pros and cons, but the biggest pro of DG is I can play any of a dozen great courses within 35-40 minutes and be done my round in 90 minutes, whereas a round at just about any golf course (even the private ones) is going to be 4-5 hours. The time involved was one of the main reasons I mostly stopped playing regular golf - that's less of an issue now that I'm retired, but it's still a consideration.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Looks even a little better with every model now showing no measurable rain for NB all day. Even the GFS has backed off, although that model still shows a few light showers for NWNJ/NEPA in the late afternoon. I'm sure this is why the NWS has an official forecast with no rain in it (with high temps in the low 60s and mostly cloudy skies), but they're still carrying a ~10% chance of a light shower/sprinkle for the afternoon. Very likely the day is dry, but even the worst case is a light sprinkle or two (like <0.02" of rain, which is truly nuisance level).
Still looks good for partly/mostly cloudy and mild (highs in the low 60s) with ~10 mph winds and <5% chance of a spritz or a sprinkle before 7 pm according to the NWS, which is why the official forecast doesn't include any mention of rain - and even if any fell it would be nuisance amounts. Sounds like a great day for Rutgers Day and the Spring football game.

Also, another round of freeze warnings (and frost advisories) for most in the region overnight through early tomorrow morning.

SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
A transition from early springlike temperatures Friday night to
early summer readings by Sunday. An upper ridge will build across
the area thru the period and as this happens, low pressure moves
by to the north, bringing a warm front thru on Saturday. There
will be plenty of clouds around, but chances for rain are low
Saturday (slight chance) and only chance levels for Sat night.
The most favored areas for the showers are the Southern Poconos,
Lehigh Valley and north NJ.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Still looks good for partly/mostly cloudy and mild (highs in the low 60s) with ~10 mph winds and <5% chance of a spritz or a sprinkle before 7 pm according to the NWS, which is why the official forecast doesn't include any mention of rain - and even if any fell it would be nuisance amounts. Sounds like a great day for Rutgers Day and the Spring football game.

Also, another round of freeze warnings (and frost advisories) for most in the region overnight through early tomorrow morning.

SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
A transition from early springlike temperatures Friday night to
early summer readings by Sunday. An upper ridge will build across
the area thru the period and as this happens, low pressure moves
by to the north, bringing a warm front thru on Saturday. There
will be plenty of clouds around, but chances for rain are low
Saturday (slight chance) and only chance levels for Sat night.
The most favored areas for the showers are the Southern Poconos,
Lehigh Valley and north NJ.
Looking good!!

I want to attend Ag Field Day for the first time. Where is this located at and where is parking? Bac just tells me its near Cook. He is no help on purpose.

I want to attend Ag Field Day for the first time. Where is this located at and where is parking? Bac just tells me its near Cook. He is no help on purpose.
Here's a map - lots to do - say hi to your animal friends too...

prmo_rutgersday2024_map_pads-cook.png

I'm getting to the yellow lot at 1 PM. Just subs, snacks and High Noons for this one. Too much stuff going on before/after this year to break out the grill.

Nope

Similar temp but drab and grayish
What's interesting is that most of the models show it being mostly cloudy by about noon with mostly cloudy to completely cloudy through 7 pm, but the NWS forecast is more optimistic with mostly sunny conditions through 11 am then partly cloudy conditions by 2 pm and with mostly cloudy conditions holding off until 4-5 pm. Regardless, no models are showing any rain right now through 7 pm (except a few spritzes after 5 pm on the GFS), so it should be a nice day with fairly light winds (~10 mph).

After last year, no rain is a win. Rutgers Day has been very lucky with weather every year except last.

I'm getting to the yellow lot at 1 PM. Just subs, snacks and High Noons for this one. Too much stuff going on before/after this year to break out the grill.
Might we see you at the Melody shindig tomorrow night? Better music from this crew, IMO. I'm guessing at least 10 from our group will head over to the Elks around 7 pm after our big group dinner in NB. Should be a fun night and day as the weather looks great for Ag-Field Day, which we'll head over to around 11 am.

Might we see you at the Melody shindig tomorrow night? Better music from this crew, IMO. I'm guessing at least 10 from our group will head over to the Elks around 7 pm after our big group dinner in NB. Should be a fun night and day as the weather looks great for Ag-Field Day, which we'll head over to around 11 am.
i might just have to crash it

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
I've posted some in the past...and the FB event page typically has the DJs post their setlists in the day or two after the event.
There was a good article about the Melody by Chris Jordan in the APP. I can’t remember if I saw it shared here or on the New Brunswick Then and Now FB page.

Unfortunately, not going to make it this year. It would have been perfect to stay in NB and attend but I have to get back home to deal with my elderly dog while my wife is out of town. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Here's a map - lots to do - say hi to your animal friends too...

prmo_rutgersday2024_map_pads-cook.png
Yes had a great day moving about and getting some fresh air. Saw some animal friends....alot of pigs and horses. Saw Jeremiah Williams taking pics with fans for a NIL fee but picked up a nice RU RUF RUF shirt to sport during my Sweet Pea Corner Show in the winter. Had a pickle on a stick at the Folk Festival. There was some action as I witnessed someone getting chest thrusts from behind from EMT's which were hard to watch and chest compressions after. Person looked kinda blueish but EMT's were working hard on her. Ambulance came quickly and took her away. Got lost heading back to where we parked off Ryder but my scent led us back. Oh got my name printed on a card in Chinese by the students at the Asian Language and Culture booth. I'll go back next year too. PS I visited Passion Pond.....wink wink

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
So the day started out really nice, 10 AM'ish, sunny, good breeze, mid-60's. Started clouding over about an hour later, eventually got pretty gray, temps dropped, became chilly. We broke down around 4:30-5:00 as we started getting the occasional spit of drops. All in all a good day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT