ADVERTISEMENT

Sweet 16 Discussion Thread

An absolute horrific meltdown by Arizona up 8 with 3:40 to go getting outscored 12-2 down stretch. Whether it was poor defense, not rebounding anything or poor shot selection Arizona folded mightily. What a poor job by Miller and once again fails to reach the Final 4

Xavier played to win and deserved it with their play while Arizona fiddled and folded. Most of my brackets bushed since I had Zona winning it all...thanks
After they hit the 2 threes and went up by 6, they should've gone inside to draw fouls. Instead tried more 3's, but the clincher was the 6 footer by their big from the right side that was 2 feet short and hit nothing. Played about as bad as possible in that stretch and terrible coaching strategy unless the team didn't execute. But Xavier still had to score and they won the game because of it.

He's not going anywhere.
No one said he is going anywhere right now. However, if he continues to fall short in a big spot, Arizona could easily look to move on. It isn't like that sort of thing hasn't happened before in college basketball.

No one said he is going anywhere right now. However, if he continues to fall short in a big spot, Arizona could easily look to move on. It isn't like that sort of thing hasn't happened before in college basketball.

agree...nowhere yet but Arizona has very high expecations..winning 30 games plus is great but that also means you need to deliver Final 4s. Last night was a prime example of a coach losing the game for his team....he didnt even have plays run for his big man in crunch time. Just jacking up 3s especially after such a horrific 4-22 first half, yes they got at times that gave them the 3 point, but you live by that you will die by it...and their defense was atrocious in the last 3 minutes....and wow the rebounding effort incredibly poor.....he used his timeouts so his team had nothing but throwing up a 3 on the last possession..stupid

North Carolina leading Butler 38-24 first half,7 minutes remaining.

Show me a guy who wins 24 plus every year and doesn't cheat who got fired.

Without even thinking about it : Bob knight . Herb sendek got run out of NC state. Huggins got run out of Cincy. Lavin got run out of St. John's. Dixon got run out of Pitt.

It happens . Miller had had a a lot of success at Arizona and I don't think he's on the run out list yet.

holy moly Baylor was quite awful tonight

parity has come to the NCAA tourney. In the old days you could count on it generally being the best 4 teams or maybe 4 of the best 10 teams

in the past decade its been all about the schools playing their best at the right time, getting the right matchups and right breaks...thats how you have Xavier and South Carolina moving into the Elite 8, thats why you have Syracuse, George Mason, UConn, Butler, and VCU making improbable runs

Note to self....how a team plays in Mid February doesn't always predict March.

Not saying Wisconsin is winning this game, but boy did I get them wrong.

you wrote him off.

its funny how the draw is incredible difficult for some...you have UNC,KY, and UCLA all in one bracket while some other appear as if they were not as tough. I think this region was stacked.

Wisconsin seemed disinterested midway through the season. I know people put me on blast when I kept saying that Wisconsin played like crap and thats why we almost beat them and everyone was saying no no no they played that way because RU played that good...well, we pretty much know how well Wisconsin can play. They played like total turkeys against RU...and still came through and won. Alot of these Big 10 teams seem to have an extra gear that RU can only hope to get to. So while Ru can play with Northwestern and play with Michigan and play with Wisconsin, its not quite the truth. I think RU was overlooked by teams at times, I think next year they will be more aware and less prone to throwing up turkeys against us.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Omg..game ended on same kind of 3....wisconsin really matador on defense there as they no idea one was stepping in to defend him....Hayes wasnt all that hot on free throws makes you wonder if it would have been better off missing one of those...Wisky had control in OT but seemed like too many missed free throws did them in.

4 seconds is an eternity with fast guards

That was pathetic defense on that last play.

No one got in front of him at all.

Great shot, but NO ONE was anywhere close to challenging it.

I thought they could have been in trouble when they were setting up their defense so deep. Why????
Once they dribbled past them, there were only 3 back on D.

And if they didn't suck at FTs, they win no problem.

Reactions: bac2therac
They had a PF on a PG who is probably the fastest player in the SEC. Bad job by Wisconsin

Reactions: RUonBrain
Butler-NC was nice to watch. Although NC won by 12, Butler stayed in it because they could make some 3's otherwise it might have been a 20+ loss. Need guys that can do that. Butler actually outscored them 44-40 in the second half. And if they didn't keep fouling to the very end, it could have been closer. 3 point shot isn't a luxury anymore, it's a must.

Without even thinking about it : Bob knight . Herb sendek got run out of NC state. Huggins got run out of Cincy. Lavin got run out of St. John's. Dixon got run out of Pitt.

It happens . Miller had had a a lot of success at Arizona and I don't think he's on the run out list yet.
Knight got fired because he was a jackass and a bully. Huggins got fired because he was a drunk. Sendek averaged less than 20 wins a year and got fired because he was 8-38 against Duke and UNC. Dixon left to coach at his alma mater. Lavin probably did get run out of St. John's.

I always thought Tom Crean did "less" with "more" better (worse?) than almost any other coach.

I know many people won't agree but I'd add Bill Self to that list. With of course one big exception, when he won a title when Memphis collapsed in the final minutes, Self has consistently had his "loaded" Kansas teams, underperform in the Tournament.

I know the Elite Eight certainly isn't shabby but after the games in Friday, I thought Kansas was the best team left. Oregon certainly showed me otherwise.

Note to self (meaning me). Don't take Kansas again no matter how good they appear to be.

The last 10 minutes of that game was pathetic on both sides. Kansas played like a chicken with out a head and Oregon played not to lose. Fortunately Oregon hit some tough shots.

Last edited:
Not to self (meaning me). Don't take Kansas again no matter how good they appear to be.

The last 10 minutes of that game was pathetic on both sides. Kansas played like a chicken with out a head and Oregon played not to lose. Fortunately Oregon hit some tough shots.
Kansas has developed a niche as a elite mens basketball program with different head coaches.Every year top ten rankings and NCAA bids which is a standard few teams can match.Winning national championships is a tougher nut to crack because it depends on matchups and how players perform on a given day.Kansas was awesome in prior tournament games but were clearly out played by Oregon.
Unsuccessful programs would dream of having a small taste of the record Kansas has recorded like a 20 win season for starters.

ADVERTISEMENT