ADVERTISEMENT

Tale of two teams. NCAA Committee choices

The selection committee is composed of humans, I assume. So choice is not just a computer selection process . Hopefully the humans make a positive decision about RU.

Sorry, you're just wrong on this. 18-12/12-8 is a stone cold lock with our Q1 wins. The question is do we get in at 17-13/11-9 with one B1G tourney win - I think yes.
I agree with the 3 more regular season wins in any fashion is a lock. I also agree with 1 Illinois or 1 Purdue win plus 1 other regular season win is a lock.

I love the basketball we’re playing right now and I think we finish strong to end up with 19 regular season wins. But, I really think some are not fully appreciating our situation. No one currently has us in the tournament or even in the first four out. And, as we all know, our NET stinks. If we beat Illinois and Purdue and lost all of the other games we still wouldn’t be in. Beating PSU, Indiana and Michigan gives us 2 more road wins, sweep of Michigan, avoids a potential “bad” loss, and gets us clear of Indiana. Then just get one from Illinois/Purdue/Wisconsin. That makes us a lock.

Reactions: Dpgru
I love the basketball we’re playing right now and I think we finish strong to end up with 19 regular season wins. But, I really think some are not fully appreciating our situation. No one currently has us in the tournament or even in the first four out. And, as we all know, our NET stinks. If we beat Illinois and Purdue and lost all of the other games we still wouldn’t be in. Beating PSU, Indiana and Michigan gives us 2 more road wins, sweep of Michigan, avoids a potential “bad” loss, and gets us clear of Indiana. Then just get one from Illinois/Purdue/Wisconsin. That makes us a lock.
We don't need 4 more regular season wins. That's ridiculous.

Reactions: ScarletDave
First of all, the idea that we go on to beat #13 Illinois and #3 Purdue and then lose out the rest of the way is kind of ridiculous. And if we do beat those two teams, we will be ranked about #6 in the AP poll, which could very well be enough to carry us even if we didn’t win another game.

Reactions: ScarletDave
First of all, the idea that we go on to beat #13 Illinois and #3 Purdue and then lose out the rest of the way is kind of ridiculous. And if we do beat those two teams, we will be ranked about #6 in the AP poll, which could very well be enough to carry us even if we didn’t win another game.

This is a troll, right? Ranked #6? We likely wouldn’t be ranked at all.

I have two different competing mindsets right now

Mindset number one

what we need to get in …think 19 wins does it…

Mindset number two

What do we need to get to a 5 or 6 seed …the two seeds that I think gives us the best chance to make an epic NCAA run

5 or 6 seed …win 5 of 7 to get to 20-10 and win 2 in the big ten tourney …22-11 with Double digit quad. Wins

Reactions: Scangg
We lose to Illinois, Wiscy and Purdue. Beat Mich, Indy and PSU. beat a low seed in the tourney then lose and we have 4 more wins. That does not get us in. We will be on the bubble. Lose the next three and out NET goes back well into the 90’s. Recovering gets as back to 80. That is the bubble.
Go 3-3 your probably definitely in with a win in Big tournament. Go 2-4 probably need at least 1 win in Big tournaments. Go 3-3 without a win in Big tournament there will be some sweaty palms on selection day probably depends how many bid Stealers there are.

Reactions: Scangg
If you get an F on a test early in the semester, it’s pretty tough to get an A in the course.

That’s how life works. And if you know the rules in advance, it’s fair.
Thanks for putting it this way. It’s true. The issue isn’t Rutgers getting an F for the Lafayette performance (and Ds for Lehigh, UMass, etc.). The issue is that the C+ Seton Hall, DePaul and company got for the victory over a Rutgers team that was routinely losing to terrible teams at the time now counts as a B+ or A- grade. There’s no good way to fix this - it’s just an inherent flaw with pretty much all the quant based systems.

Game 1 is as important as game 25
This is the issue isnt it?

Does a November ooc non power 5 game count as much as a Feb or March conference game? It clearly shouldn't and we will see if the committee treats them equal or not.

My guess is RU is the school that blows up that theory once and for all, and we hear body of work, which includes "team development" as part of the body of work, as it is. The best teams in March are the ones that got better as the year went on.

Not really. We have the worst losses of any teams remotely being considered for an at large bid. So just keep winning and we don’t have to worry.
We also have the best wins. Look at the Q1 wins of bubble teams.

Could easily all come down to B1G Tournament.
It looks a very realistic scenario is going to be us needing one B1G Tournament win

This is a troll, right? Ranked #6? We likely wouldn’t be ranked at all.
Now although ranking is not all that important as teams that have been ranked have been left out with a horrendous OOC strength of schedule , if the RU team wins over Illinois and at Purdue making in 5 in a row against upper 16 of the rankings , they will not be ranked # 6 like the poster stated but we will most likely be ranked as we got 10 AP votes today (#25 got 80 votes . ) and 6 in the Coaches poll (# 25 got 68) . Keep in mind it will likely be the first time in history a team won 5 consecutive games against ranked teams with also uniquely 3 at home and 2 on the road. It has never happened and that accomplishment will be noticed by the media , by coaches , and even by a chimpanzee.

If we did happen to win 5 games in a row against top 16 teams we really should be ranked top 10 if the ranking is based on how good the teams are currently and not overall body of work.

Not that this is something to worry about or anything lol

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT