ADVERTISEMENT

Taryn VanThof-Have we contacted Florida

Stony Brook coach is obviously great. You of course make a run at him. But if you have to overpay to do it, and the alums won't buck up, it ain't gonna happen. I hope it does. The guy can obviously coach.
As I said before, if CVS retires there will be quite a few bucks to go around since we won't be paying her replacement anywhere near what
she's making. That is, if the replacement isn't Geno, but that's a real long shot he would move.

Salary should not be tied to alum giving. I can see projects/ facilities/ upgrades. We dont expect alums to pay Ash or Stringer salaries. Rutgers needs to continue build up. We are in Big Ten.
Until we get full share and more donations, what should be and reality are two different things.

We are already making double or triple what we were getting in Big East. More money than most colleges and Universities get from their conference. Time to pony up. No excuses.

We are already making double or triple what we were getting in Big East. More money than most colleges and Universities get from their conference. Time to pony up. No excuses.
That’s not the mandate. The mandate is for athletics to pay for itself. Every decision is made with that in mind.

For our men’s program, we got experienced, very successful, well thought of coaches for both our coordinator roles. The DC wasn’t looking. We had to go get him. That took donor money. If we are going to get a high caliber coach like Spallina, we are going to have to pay. And that will have to involve donor money I guarantee you.

Reactions: rufamily
Sorry, not buying it. That may be the talking line but there is money available. It is about priorities, Rutgers rather pay some second rate Dean or overpaid Administrator than invest in Athletics.

Sorry, not buying it. That may be the talking line but there is money available. It is about priorities, Rutgers rather pay some second rate Dean or overpaid Administrator than invest in Athletics.

Sadly, it’s the reality of athletics. It is what it is. We aren’t getting a coach with a higher salary unless some alums step up. We just went through this with lacrosse.

Which gets to the point of overall support and being competitive. You can’t expect big results without big support.

I say the same thing all the time. Donate. It’s the only way.

The average Professor's salary at Rutgers is approx $150,000. Much of that is dead wood that is really part time work. I remember reading that student pop. growth for all colleges and Univ. was 10% over ten years while Administration costs have gone up 50%. Every school is on a building binge. There is plenty of money and again it goes back to decisions and priorities.

The average Professor's salary at Rutgers is approx $150,000. Much of that is dead wood that is really part time work. I remember reading that student pop. growth for all colleges and Univ. was 10% over ten years while Administration costs have gone up 50%. Every school is on a building binge. There is plenty of money and again it goes back to decisions and priorities.
Agree I believe we have spent around half a billion dollars in structural improvements and building yet if we overspend by $100,000 on athletics it is big news and that to me is BS we have plenty of money to pony up the necessary money to hire a good coach

Reactions: zazoo2002
Then we are doomed to be forever a laughingstock and perrenial basement dweller. That is on Hobbs and Barchi.

Cali, I know you say we should donate and I did for many years, not to lacrosse but general fund and athletics to maintain football seats and parking. Would also go to basketball and lacrosse games. I stopped giving altogether when the faculty and students drove off Codelliza Rice, a very accomplished woman, and instead invited Snooki and paid her $25,000. For a while, maybe twice a year, I would get some poor student call for money. No longer. I think they may have a few asteriks by my name with a footnote, dont call, very angry old man.

Couple of thoughts here on the coaching hire from talking to people in NJ lax community.

Stony Brook is building some good facilities, not big ten level but good enough to keep coaches happy. Spallina has a young family and his son is a freshmen in high school (who just dropped his 200th point) at Mt. Sinani. He has the AQ locked up and has proven that he can own the island in the recruiting side of things. Looking at his roster, it’s mostly Long Island kids. He coached at Adelphi and at the HS level on the Island.

Let’s hope that if hired, he can use his deep ties to Long Island to bring in some top notch talent. But gone is the ability to give state tuition to those kids, it’s gonna eat up more scholarship money. Jersey is a tough place to recruit and these club coaches tend to look at Rutgers as a back up option for their kids. Need someone who can come in and supplement their jersey kids with top notch recruits from non-traditional areas.

The other thing is that from what has been rumored, he has been sought after for USC, Louisville, and Michigan. Why Rutgers at this point? Not saying he wouldn’t be a slam dunk hire, but just seem interesting that Rutgers would be the place to make the jump. Duke, Florida, and other gigs are close to being open (not this year but soon). This on top of 9 total division 1 head coaching jobs being open including Pitt and Ohio State (according to club coach, OSU is a much higher paying job than most) I’m hoping that it’s him, but it is going to be interesting.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I said “turn it around” not “build a national champion” ...and I’ll gladly bet a beer!
that is a terribly vague answer what shows turning it around? improved recruiting? that is terribly subjective and I am not sure either of us are qualified to argue that. improved record? making the Big Ten tourney? either of those would be good but, based on your standards for the Men's team's that would not be enough either. So what would be the criteria?

beer is fine and I hope that you are right.

The womans lacrosse facilities at UF might be the best lacrosse facilities in the US. Men or womans.

that is a terribly vague answer what shows turning it around? improved recruiting? that is terribly subjective and I am not sure either of us are qualified to argue that. improved record? making the Big Ten tourney? either of those would be good but, based on your standards for the Men's team's that would not be enough either. So what would be the criteria?

beer is fine and I hope that you are right.

“Vague”?

Current status - AWFUL program in every aspect.

...”turning it around” means make it a post-season contender through better recruiting and coaching.

Reactions: RUtom
Couple of thoughts here on the coaching hire from talking to people in NJ lax community.

Stony Brook is building some good facilities, not big ten level but good enough to keep coaches happy. Spallina has a young family and his son is a freshmen in high school (who just dropped his 200th point) at Mt. Sinani. He has the AQ locked up and has proven that he can own the island in the recruiting side of things. Looking at his roster, it’s mostly Long Island kids. He coached at Adelphi and at the HS level on the Island.

Let’s hope that if hired, he can use his deep ties to Long Island to bring in some top notch talent. But gone is the ability to give state tuition to those kids, it’s gonna eat up more scholarship money. Jersey is a tough place to recruit and these club coaches tend to look at Rutgers as a back up option for their kids. Need someone who can come in and supplement their jersey kids with top notch recruits from non-traditional areas.

The other thing is that from what has been rumored, he has been sought after for USC, Louisville, and Michigan. Why Rutgers at this point? Not saying he wouldn’t be a slam dunk hire, but just seem interesting that Rutgers would be the place to make the jump. Duke, Florida, and other gigs are close to being open (not this year but soon). This on top of 9 total division 1 head coaching jobs being open including Pitt and Ohio State (according to club coach, OSU is a much higher paying job than most) I’m hoping that it’s him, but it is going to be interesting.
They look at Rutgers as a backup option because we have had a bad coach for so long!! Again put in the right coach and great things can happen

Cali, I know you say we should donate and I did for many years, not to lacrosse but general fund and athletics to maintain football seats and parking. Would also go to basketball and lacrosse games. I stopped giving altogether when the faculty and students drove off Codelliza Rice, a very accomplished woman, and instead invited Snooki and paid her $25,000. For a while, maybe twice a year, I would get some poor student call for money. No longer. I think they may have a few asteriks by my name with a footnote, dont call, very angry old man.
Understood but that’s unfortunate. Our athletes need the support. The support their peers get. And then some. Perhaps you should consider donating directly to the program. You know where the money goes.

If you want them to win and expect them to win, they need to resources that their peers have. It’s really amazing what Brecht has some in this regard.

Reactions: TRU2RU
One has nothing to do with the other. Condoleezza Rice was to be a commencement speaker and as you say was driven off. Snooki was hired as entertainment with student funds earmarked for entertainment.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I knew that she was not the Commencement speaker but was pointing out the priorities and waste of money. Driving off an accomplished woman and inviting an idiot and paying her big bucks. It is after all, all about priorities as I said in a prior post. I was wrong, they paid Snooki $32,000. Do you think the $32,000 came from a donor? Likely fees built into the tuition which makes Rutgers more expensive and less money available to hire a good replacement Coach, but we are so broke we need to rely on donors to make up difference.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I knew that she was not the Commencement speaker but was pointing out the priorities and waste of money. Driving off an accomplished woman and inviting an idiot and paying her big bucks. It is after all, all about priorities as I said in a prior post. I was wrong, they paid Snooki $32,000. Do you think the $32,000 came from a donor? Likely fees built into the tuition which makes Rutgers more expensive and less money available to hire a good replacement Coach, but we are so broke we need to rely on donors to make up difference.
I may be wrong but I believe the student activity funds are allocated at the beginning of the year. What the students choose to spend those funds on is up to them. Be it speakers, comedians, poets, musicians. Unless you are advocating totally doing away with such funds, I’m not sure I see your point.

Reactions: RUnTeX and TRU2RU
Your raising tuition argument doesn't fly. With 70,000 students it translates to $0.50 per student.

Well its been almost 4 weeks since she resigned how much longer do you think the search goes on? Unless we were waiting for some assistants involved in the final four. I don't think any of the head coaches involved would be going anywhere and a boat load of money would have to be involved for that to happen

If I’m Pat, I am interviewing Maryland’s top assistant. That program is dominant.
Well they have two top assistants one has been there for 12 years and the other for 7 years. I say we make a run for the younger one but I don't know what women's lacrosse coaches are paid and nor do I know how much it will take to lure her away but maybe this is what he was waiting for as the tournament just ended!!

Litterio is gone. Wouldn’t be surprised to get hire for women’s lax this week Which will then give Hobbs time to conduct the search for baseball through the collegiate postseason.

Any word on this job yet or at least where they are in the process? Recruiting started up last weekend with the national tournament and things really start to kick into gear soon.

They actually have a little time as they can not contact any 2021 until September 1st, but they probably need to be circling back with there 2020's and work to fill the rest of the class. If it goes much past this weekend they may be putting themselves in a little bit of a recruiting bind.

Pat is a deliberate, through guy. I am certain he doesn't want to make this hire more than once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT