ADVERTISEMENT

Terroristic Threats Not As It Seems

SOSHU

Redshirt
Jan 26, 2009
As A Rutgers Law grad, even upon taking criminal law with Professor Clark I never understood the overreaching sound to the term "terroristic threats." This often is as innocuous as a subdued threat towards another person or an outward threat to destroy or harm someone's property. In reality, it almost never has to do with the true definition of terror as we often see in the news. I hate when young athletes get themselves into trouble as they are under extreme pressure and are often required to make major life altering decisions at such a young age. Often their immaturity leads to decisions that alter their lives way beyond what they thought possible. Unfortunately whether it is Rutgers or Seton Hall, as long as student athletes are present, these issues are always within the realm of possibility.

As A Rutgers Law grad, even upon taking criminal law with Professor Clark I never understood the overreaching sound to the term "terroristic threats." This often is as innocuous as a subdued threat towards another person or an outward threat to destroy or harm someone's property. In reality, it almost never has to do with the true definition of terror as we often see in the news. I hate when young athletes get themselves into trouble as they are under extreme pressure and are often required to make major life altering decisions at such a young age. Often their immaturity leads to decisions that alter their lives way beyond what they thought possible. Unfortunately whether it is Rutgers or Seton Hall, as long as student athletes are present, these issues are always within the realm of possibility.
Exactly. The law today employs words that sound ominous, as though someone had C4 in their dorm room and threatened to blow up the campus, when all that happened was something along the lines of someone said they were gonna kick someone's ass. Issa may have done something stupid (we still don't know the details), but the verbiage currently used in arrest documents can make it appear like someone in a loud argument was a member of Boko Haram.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Unfortunately, anyone who is in the public eye has to conform to a different set of "rules" than the general population. Sometimes, I think people know that they can say and do stuff to "celebs" that they wouldn't get away with just folks.
Not knowing what happened in this case still leads me to believe that if the same situation occurred with a regular student at RU, the result would not have what we are seeing here.
Really, what the hell actually constitutes a real threat anymore?

The police and the media just want a scalp. We have morphed into a very sick society

The media just want a scalp? What planet are you on? There were SEVEN charges filed, not just "terroristic threats." Should the police not act on it? Should the media not report it?

Do you realize that the "media" in this case spent two or three paragraphs explaining the charges in very dull terms and, because no other information is available, spent the rest of the story talking about his contributions, as they were, on the basketball court.

Oh yeah, bloodthirsty media at work again.

Reactions: bac2therac
The media just want a scalp? What planet are you on? There were SEVEN charges filed, not just "terroristic threats." Should the police not act on it? Should the media not report it?

Do you realize that the "media" in this case spent two or three paragraphs explaining the charges in very dull terms and, because no other information is available, spent the rest of the story talking about his contributions, as they were, on the basketball court.

So you’re a journalist I take it. Correction from the editor.

Last edited:

And you believe it deserves front page all day on nj.com? This is the biggest story in NJ? Get real. They want clicks and they have no filter. And when this farrago of likelyoverzealous charges gets dismissed or downgraded where will that story be? Good luck finding it. No fan of RU athletics but how can you not be offended by the outsized alarming headlines? The press has the power and discretion to either destroy or do the right thing. Their approach can’t be put back in the bottle.

There have been no updates whatsoever. The criminal justice system grinds along at a laboriously slow and putrid pace. This is why it is so important to stay outside of the system. Once you become intertwined and enmeshed within it's confined clutches, it is often years rather than months before you can free yourself from it's grasp. Unfortunately these young athletes are unsophisticated as to the inner workings of the system and often do not realize that a seemingly innocuous act can alter their lives immensely.

Last edited:
Reactions: soundcrib
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT